---OFFICIAL 2020 New England Patriots Season Thread--- OFFSEASON THREAD

Ugly, but a win is a win. Folk has been cash money baby, thank goodness the team is hitting field goals

Defense has been lights out

I said to my friend "I don't like Sanu fielding punts, recipe for an injury." Next punt, dude gets twisted up. Glad he's okay. I'd much rather have someone else taking those though.

I said to my friend "I don't like Sanu fielding punts, recipe for an injury." Next punt, dude gets twisted up. Glad he's okay. I'd much rather have someone else taking those though.

yeah they need Gunner back in the lineup ASAP.

along with Wynn...hope he's close

Let’s lock that number one seed down baby

we gonna need the Ravens to lose again because i know we're dropping at least another game. if they could just get the OL sorted out, i know our offense can get going. but they're not giving us ANYTHING in the pass or run blocking game

gpkzvmti6gz31.jpg

10-2, looks like we gotta be road warriors again.

I see a 13-3 finish maybe, need that first round bye.

yeah after that loss, we'll see (one last time) what this team really is made of. can they dust themselves off and get on track or will they just keep folding?

defense is going to face an even tougher test next week so the offense better be ready to help bail them out a bit.

local sports talk is all over the place. people are throwing blame in all sorts of directions :lol:

i don't get why people can't see that it's MULTIPLE things instead of trying to just pin it on 1 or 2 people

local sports talk is all over the place. people are throwing blame in all sorts of directions :lol:

i don't get why people can't see that it's MULTIPLE things instead of trying to just pin it on 1 or 2 people

i turned it off when Felger said Brady was exclusively yelling at Dorsett and Edelman to get open, and that the other receivers weren’t there because they were scared of “daddy”

how tf do you know that, Felger?!

These conspiracy theory talking points gotta go, man. It’s so stupid to hear them get all angry and spaz out unnecessary criticism about the team... Like it’s clear they messed up on a lot of **** but these knuckleheads can’t just blatantly broadcast lies like it’s gospel.

It’s also why I don’t talk about sports with one of my brothers, dude’s talk-radio-fueled.

Offense needs to stay on the field. The D is great but will get worn down with multiple 3 and outs.

Bedard went through some of the key passing plays to figure out what went wrong on Sunday. there's all 22 video but it won't let me paste those in here so only his notes here:

Everyone wants to know how much of the offensive woes in the loss to the Texans fell on Tom Brady, so let’s go over the key plays, some with videos, and offer our amateur/semi-educated assessment.

FIRST SERIES

3RD & 5 AT HST 5 (7:12): (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to P.Dorsett.

It’s true that under little pressure, Phillip Dorsett was open in the back of the end zone at the top of Brady’s drop. Brady does not initially throw it and instead makes a strange movement, and throws late and high with no chance for a completion.

Brady obviously didn’t anticipate Dorsett being that open initially as he first looked left, then to his right at Matt LaCosse and Julian Edelman. I don’t mind that the pass was out of bounds. By the time Brady threw it, there was too much traffic in between to throw the ball on a line, and a soft pass might have been too late.

Why was Brady frustrated? My guess is that he thought Dorsett should have sat in the zone and/or came back to him. By drifting towards the goal post, he brought the linebackers into the picture.

Who was to blame? Ultimately inconclusive, but I’m leaning towards Dorsett.

SECOND SERIES

1ST & 10 AT NE 19 ( 2:49): T.Brady pass incomplete short left to M.Sanu [B.Dunn].

First play of the next drive. Brady is hit on the play as he throws late and incomplete. But that was a last-minute adjustment.

Brady initially wanted to go to the right to Jakobi Meyers. Brady expected him to break off his route at 5 yards because of off coverage, much like Mohamed Sanu did on the other side of the field (the Patriots often run mirror routes — the same on either side — if the coverage is the same; Edelman and LaCosse both ran double in-breaking routes in the middle). But, as Brady starts to throw to Meyers, he continues up the field and Brady has to recoil and rush the throw under pressure to Sanu.

Who was to blame? Meyers.

3RD & 4 AT NE 25 (2:05) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass short left intended for N.Harry INTERCEPTED by B.Roby at NE 28. B.Roby to NE 6 for 22 yards (T.Brady).

We went over this play the night of the game. N’Keal Harry ran a terrible, soft route and didn’t anticipate contact. That being said, Brady didn’t exactly throw a dime from a great base.

Who was to blame? Mostly Harry, but Brady wasn’t great either.

THIRD SERIES

2ND & 7 AT NE 28 :smile:01) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to J.Edelman.

Brady throws high and wide out of bounds to an open Edelman. I understand why Brady threw the pass that way — the Texans were playing a sort of trap coverage where the corner was playing the flat but could drift up to Edelman if he wanted (Stephon Gilmore has made interceptions in similar fashion) — but either he needs to make a better throw, or he needs to just take the easy money to LaCosse in the flat.

Who was to blame? Brady.

FOURTH SERIES

3RD & 7 AT HST 48 (3:18) (Shotgun): T.Brady sacked at NE 48 for -4 yards (sack split by J.Martin and Z.Cunningham).

Meyers comes open on a shallow cross but Brady doesn’t have time to see him because Marcus Cannon gives up immediate pressure and it leads to a sack.

Who was to blame? The protection.

FIFTH SERIES

1ST & 10 AT HST 39 :smile:41) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to P.Dorsett (L.Johnson).

The Texans start pre-snap with two deep safeties but quickly bring one into the box and Brady feels a blitz is coming so he makes a check. At the snap, the Texans drop out of an all-out blitz and send five. At the top of his drop, Brady has no one readily open as you see below.

In a few steps, Meyers does come open but by the time he gets separation, Brady is already committed trying to get a deep incompletion to Dorsett or a penalty flag (which they could have gotten). The pass falls incomplete.

Who was to blame? No one. The Texans bluffed a blitz and then dropped into a double coverage on Edelman. Texans just beat the Patriots there.

2ND & 10 AT HST 39 :smile:36) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to J.Meyers.

Brady seems to throw low and behind Meyers. Actually, the Texans were in zone and Meyers did not sit in the zone — Brady’s pass would have hit him in the numbers if he did. You can see Meyers’ disappointment as he grabbed his head knowing he made a mistake.

Who was to blame? Meyers.

3RD & 10 AT HST 39 :smile:31) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to J.White (B.McKinney).

The last chance to get points before halftime is wasted when Brady’s pass to James White is batted down at the line on a good play by Broderick McKinney.

White was open much earlier but Brady seemed to be waiting for Meyers, again, to find the soft spot in the zone by cutting across the two deep safeties. He never does — he continues to drift up the field — and when Brady realizes Meyers is not doing what he’s supposed to, it’s too late to pick up White.

Who was to blame? This is a guess, but mostly Meyers. However, in that spot, with a possible field goal in the balance, Brady shouldn’t have relied on Meyers if he did and taken the easy money to White earlier. Brady could have been better.

SECOND HALF

FIRST SERIES

2ND & 6 AT NE 34 (13:31) (Shotgun): T.Brady pass incomplete short right to R.Burkhead [W.Mercilus].

Brady has both backs open in the flat but after first pumping to LaCosse, a defensive lineman got right in his way. Brady throws incomplete wide of Rex Burkhead as he’s going to the ground.

Who was to blame? Isaiah Wynn. Brady got hit as he threw because the left tackle got completely bull rushed.

SECOND SERIES

4TH & 1 AT HST 42 (7:14): T.Brady pass incomplete short left to M.Sanu (J.Joseph).

You can’t run a sneak against this. Sanu — who failed to pick up the first down — dropped the pass after getting a little contact.

Who was to blame? Sanu. He should have picked up the first down on third down, and then dropped the ball.

FINAL TABULATION ON THE KEY PLAYS

Jakobi Meyers
: Three.
Protection: Two.
Harry: One (some Brady)
Sanu: One.
Brady: One.
Inconclusive: One (lean Dorsett).
No one: One.

Brady was squarely to blame for one of 10 plays (10 percent).

Will be back with my unit evaluations on Wednesday morning. Having a lot of travel issues with the winter weather.

THREE UP

James White
: Was finally the playmaker he’s been in the past with Julian Edelman getting doubled teamed and shut down on just about every route. Had eight impactful plays (we’ll ignore the hold).

Joe Thuney: Another clean sheet for the best offensive player week in and week out. Had four plus-plays, which is a lot for a lineman, and had a great hustle play on the Brady interception that was called back by penalty.

Lawrence Guy: Didn’t seem to play a ton in the first half but he was dominating in the second half with Danny Shelton. Had seven impactful plays.

THREE DOWN

Receivers other than Edelman
: N’Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu, Jakobi Meyers, and Phillip Dorsett combined for an interception, two drops, a failed third-down pass (Sanu) and five questionable routes. Not good enough.

Isaiah Wynn: Another six pressures allowed in his second game, including a few key ones. Wasn’t terrible and I need to review the coach’s film more closely to have a big opinion on this.

Marcus Cannon: Allowed 3.5 pressures and two stuffed runs. Seems to have lost some strength with the illness.

long story short, there's blame to go around everywhere. and this offense looks like a group of guys still trying to get on the same page while the offensive line struggles.

Last edited:
So uh...

Am I starting Brady vs the Chiefs this week?

Or go with Baker at home vs the Bengals

that's a tough call. we're going to emphasize the run against them, im sure. but if we go down by more than a score which is highly possible, it's going to be empty set and throw it down the field. i'm playing Brady over Jimmy G in a dome this weekend if that helps :lol:

Back
Top Bottom