OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion:

This was always going to be a rebuilding year and it’s a cluttered carousel. Unless they plan to reach on a young up and comer coach, then Florida should have hired a new DC and rolled with Mullen one more season to see how things shake out. Mullen isn’t the guy but I think the timing is off, and if you’re firing him after one bad season you can fire him next year after 8-4.

As is, they’re going to hire someone like Dan Quinn that the fan base is gonna be meh about (though I think Quinn could be a good hire.)

But they played Bama close

The cover 3 podcast this morning was saying there could be mutual interest between Hardin and Washington but the vaccination thing may be an issue

Unpopular opinion:

This was always going to be a rebuilding year and it’s a cluttered carousel. Unless they plan to reach on a young up and comer coach, then Florida should have hired a new DC and rolled with Mullen one more season to see how things shake out. Mullen isn’t the guy but I think the timing is off, and if you’re firing him after one bad season you can fire him next year after 8-4.

As is, they’re going to hire someone like Dan Quinn that the fan base is gonna be meh about (though I think Quinn could be a good hire.)

Mullen didn’t buy himself any wiggle room with the awful recruiting. It’s hard to sell that fan base on a future when looking at the roster as it stands. It’s still a top 5 job, they should have their pick of guys realistically.

Unpopular opinion:

Mullen didn’t buy himself any wiggle room with the awful recruiting. It’s hard to sell that fan base on a future when looking at the roster as it stands. It’s still a top 5 job, they should have their pick of guys realistically.

I have no doubt that Mullen had 0 plans on returning to Gainesville this season. He thought (maybe he was right in the moment to think so but obviously his thinking was wrong) that he would be out of UF after last season and moved on to another position, specifically in the NFL. For a guy who already doesn't necessarily excel at recruiting its even worse when you have to return to a place that in your heart you don't want to be anymore and try to sell that.

I think the players knew this, and he was already on shaky ground with them because of his actions over his career. Once things started going off the rails there was no turning back because the kids don't believe in him anymore.

I'm guessing UW didn't play Huard this weekend, but played every other QB on the roster, because they don't want to burn his redshirt.

Is he gone to the portal in a week? elpablo21 elpablo21

Devil's advocate: But we had this EXACT same conversation 4 years ago. And they got passed up on by multiple sought after candidates (all of whom should have taken the job, :lol: but that's not the point) and ended up with Mullen who wasn't on anyone's initial radar.

There's a good chance they end up with a Hafley at best, or a Dan Lanning. Lanning especially, because UF boosters are drooling over what he's done in Athens, as if that has more to do with him than it does Kirby and dem boyz droppin' bags.

Devil's advocate: But we had this EXACT same conversation 4 years ago. And they got passed up on by multiple sought after candidates (all of whom should have taken the job, :lol: but that's not the point) and ended up with Mullen who wasn't on anyone's initial radar.

There's a good chance they end up with a Hafley at best, or a Dan Lanning. Lanning especially, because UF boosters are drooling over what he's done in Athens, as if that has more to do with him than it does Kirby and dem boyz droppin' bags.

They should just hire Mark Stoops. It’s not sexy but he’d win there.

I'd be surprised to see them hire a Defensive guy as a HC, especially after how the Muschamp era ended.

Their culture is built off of dropping 40 burgers on teams. Those Bull Gators aren't as enamored with great defenses

I'd be surprised to see them hire a Defensive guy as a HC, especially after how the Muschamp era ended.

Their culture is built off of dropping 40 burgers on teams. Those Bull Gators aren't as enamored with great defenses
True But at the same time early rumors are they want the opposite of Mullen and they did just go back to back OCs as HC's. So maybe they realize chasing the 40 burger doesn't work if Sanford is dropping 50s on you.

Because I don't see Campbell going to USC.
Got it. Yeah, I don't know. I can confirm he 100% interviewed though. Hence my "Smoke around Campbell." He's the only name that anyone in Heritage Hall has confirmed interviewed. Not even Fickell, so far.

Reminder: Matt Campbell doesn't have/use an agent.

I posted about Dan Quinn's name coming up a few weeks ago. All of that is from the former player/agent side, campaigning for their guys though. Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, and Raheem Morris all have former players who love them and are pounding the table for them. Who Pete Carroll, Uchenna Nwosu, and the like want to see hired isn't necessarily who Bohn and Sosna are hiring though. Especially if they want this to be THEIR hire so they're not forever tied to the carroll tree mess.

As discussed in here. UW wouldn't touch him. Neither would Wazzu (or Oregon State if they open, tbh.) This covid period lot of coaches *** holed themselves out of dream opportunities over 4chan memes.

Billy Napier will be UFs top target.

may see if Bob Stoops has any interest, but feel like Napier is the guy, they need a younger coach that will be there for a while.

If Napier says no I hope they get Lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom