OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would you guys place your Oly sports, if you were to go Indy?

I don’t think you’re getting that sweetheart deal from the Pac 12 that ND gets from the ACC.
Considering the Pac 12 collapses without USC I imagine they'd get whatever deal they want from them. The entire conference scheduling model currently revolves around teams needing to play in California (specifically LA) twice a year and wanting to play on TV vs USC at least twice every 4 years. 4 of the Pac 12s 6 highest rated games last season, and I believe #'s 1-3, were USC games. They're more important to the Pac 12 than ND is to the ACC, and even then, the ACC acknowledges how useful Notre Dame has been and the B1G reportedly regrets passing up on the ND opportunity they had years back.

That said, USC is still cleaning up non-football institutional messes so the BOT is pretty hesitant to make any major shifts like that when everything else is just getting stable. Still the AD and boosters especially seem serious about exploring independence even if only as a leverage move. This scheduling agreement is an attempt to keep USC (and to a lesser extent UCLA) happy: "Why leave to go independent or to the B1G when you can have those same national matchups from the comfort of the conference you already know!"

Apologies for the wall of text.

Last edited:
Considering the Pac 12 collapses without USC I imagine they'd get whatever deal they want from them. The entire conference scheduling model currently revolves around teams needing to play in California (specifically LA) twice a year and wanting to play on TV vs USC at least twice every 4 years. 4 of the Pac 12s 6 highest rated games last season, and I believe #'s 1-3, were USC games. They're more important to the Pac 12 than ND is to the ACC, and even then, the ACC acknowledges how useful Notre Dame has been and the B1G reportedly regrets passing up on the ND opportunity they had years back.

That said, USC is still cleaning up non-football institutional messes so the BOT is pretty hesitant to make any major shifts like that when everything else is just getting stable. Still the AD and boosters especially seem serious about exploring independence even if only as a leverage move. This scheduling agreement is an attempt to keep USC (and to a lesser extent UCLA) happy: "Why leave to go independent or to the B1G when you can have those same national matchups from the comfort of the conference you already know!"

Are SC and UCLA the only programs out there with any real bargaining power from a TV perspective?

Oregon can’t have any real pull, right?

Hopefully they announce Kevin Warren is fired and they’re trying to bring USC and Oregon to the B10, anything else who cares

Are SC and UCLA the only programs out there with any real bargaining power from a TV perspective?

Oregon can’t have any real pull, right?
Basically, and even then UCLA have basketball and the location but that combo still isn't as valuable as SC's football draw.

Oregon don't have any pull.

I don’t doubt that Pac 12 would be significantly weaker without SC, but I doubt it would collapse. There aren’t a lot of obvious landing spots for most of those schools.

Even though it might make financial sense for most of those schools to continue playing a independent SC, I think you underestimate how petty these admins can be.

It made financial sense for the B1G to take ND’s offer, but they turned it down because a lot of admins are still salty over ND not joining in the 90’s.

I could easily see those 11 other schools band together and all threaten to refuse to schedule SC if SC decided to go Indy.

I don’t doubt that Pac 12 would be significantly weaker without SC, but I doubt it would collapse. There aren’t a lot of obvious landing spots for most of those schools.

Even though it might make financial sense for most of those schools to continue playing a independent SC, I think you underestimate how petty these admins can be.

It made financial sense for the B1G to take ND’s offer, but they turned it down because a lot of admins are still salty over ND not joining in the 90’s.

I could easily see those 11 other schools band together and all threaten to refuse to schedule SC if SC decided to go Indy.
Naw. Southern California/LA is too important a recruiting source for every school in the conference. It’s why they all insisted on playing either ucla or usc every year.

USC’s anger, especially over how the covid season was handled, played a large role in Larry scott finally getting the boot.

EDIT

I failed to mention there is an argument being made, despite it maybe being unrealistic, that USC needs to separate itself from UCLA and Cal and the political pressures those schools face (and SC as a result of their ties.) It was being made before covid, but 2020 kind of kicked it into overdrive.

Last edited:
PAC, BIG, ACC, and Norte Dame need to ice the SEC and ESPN out of the schedule. Get with Fox sports and put them both on an island. No California, Chicago, NY market gone bring them to the table a little more humble.

No apologies needed and thank you for keeping us informed. That's what I love about this forum, there is always someone in the know.

PAC, BIG, ACC, and Norte Dame need to ice the SEC and ESPN out of the schedule. Get with Fox sports and put them both on an island. No California, Chicago, NY market gone bring them to the table a little more humble.
I'm not sure how strong of a leverage position that really is but I guess we'll see. The SEC is about to get a new TV deal with Texas and Oklahoma that is going to make the revenue gap between the conferences even bigger. Don't think this alliance will be enough to make up for that, personally. I guess we'll quickly find out.

I'm not sure how strong of a leverage position that really is but I guess we'll see. The SEC is about to get a new TV deal with Texas and Oklahoma that is going to make the revenue gap between the conferences even bigger. Don't think this alliance will be enough to make up for that, personally. I guess we'll quickly find out.
It probably isn’t enough

This alliance is a joke. I hope it fails and forces these conferences to join for real. Scheduling won't mean a thing.

This whole scheduling alliance feels like grasping at straws, doesn’t it?

What are you realistically looking to solve for here?
The best argument is that they control CFP Expansion through the alliance --- but don't think that's nearly the chip that they think. Not like they're going to stop Texas and Oklahoma from moving or something.

CFP expansion isn't a chip at all if we're honest because the folks that vote will still try to put at minimum 2 SEC teams in each year if no expansion happens.

An utter embarrassment but I’d expect no less.

An alliance? Really? Like some 1994 WCW trash

These clowns don't even try while the SEC is bullying them and this is the best they can come up with? They are telling me that combining the B10 with the ACC and/or Pac12 isn't better than this United Nations nonsense they're pedaling. On that joint defense crap like NATO.

Are Chicago, LA and New York going to magically stop carrying ESPN and ABC in their TV packages?

Are Chicago, LA and New York going to magically stop carrying ESPN and ABC in their TV packages?
These regions aren’t connected to Alabama, Texas, Louisiana. There’s no vested interest in the casual fan in California watching Texas vs Tennessee or Georgia vs Oklahoma. People will find something else to do. This alliance can further hurt them by placing regional games on at the same time. They have way more power than being put on in this thread.

These regions aren’t connected to Alabama, Texas, Louisiana. There’s no vested interest in the casual fan in California watching Texas vs Tennessee or Georgia vs Oklahoma. People will find something else to do. This alliance can further hurt them by placing regional games on at the same time. They have way more power than being put on in this thread.
And yet, those games are the largest national draws - even in markets that don’t have vested interest - every single week.

There’s big regional games every week and they almost never outdraw big SEC matchups.

The ACC’s rights at with ESPN/ABC for like 15 more years, too.

What you’re trying to accomplish wouldnt work and damn near isn’t possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom