OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oklahoma fans are losing their minds over this but I don't think this is a crazy take at all. In fact, it's kind of how I feel about the future of Oklahoma in the SEC. They are going to go from being the first or second most talented team in the Big 12 to being the 5th or 6th most talented team in the SEC on any given year.

Oklahoma isn't going to have as much success simply because they are going to play a more difficult schedule and play more talented teams on a weekend and week out basis.

Naturally they are going to go from a team that is the favorite or co-favorites to win the conference in the Big 12 to being a team that might make the playoff every 3-4 years in SEC. I don't think this is some slight to Oklahoma, it's just reality.

How does that apply to OU but not Texas?

OU has dominated that matchup in this century.

It’s a 💩 take.

The SEC has always been an overrated, top-heavy, PR-reliant league. Outside of Georgia, the returning SEC schools don’t really have a leg up on OU.

Curious to see what an Alabama looks like without Saban on the sideline and how many 5 stars curved them or hit the portal because Saban is out. Feels like a Georgia year with these coaching changes at Alabama and Michigan.

It's pretty easy to be a terrible recruiter at Washington.

It's fairly hard to be a terrible recruiter at (current) Alabama

Add in NIL in this current arena, and Bama folks knowing they will have to pony up at a different rate then they did before (no more Saban discounts at least for now) and I think Deboer will have to make an effort to be bad there.

They won’t be Peak Saban level but they’ll still be better than 97% of the country

That Oklahoma take has recency bias all over it. The same logic should be applied to Texas as well. Other than 2023 their last B12 title was in 2009 but somehow we are supposed to believe they’ll go into the SEC and win? Sure they’ve got more resources but they could barely use those resources and be relevant in the B12. I think they’ll both be fine in the long run but singling out Oklahoma over Texas is lazy. I do feel Texas is in a better spot with Sark than Oklahoma is with Venables though.

As for 9-3, for all we know that could be good enough to make the playoff every year going forward. With the new teams in each conference the days of going 12-0 are going to be gone IMO.

Last edited:
How does that apply to OU but not Texas?

OU has dominated that matchup in this century.

It’s a 💩 take.

The SEC has always been an overrated, top-heavy, PR-reliant league. Outside of Georgia, the returning SEC schools don’t really have a leg up on OU.

That take literally does apply to Texas. The reason Oklahoma is being called out is because Oklahoma dominated the Big 12 and Texas was mediocre for over a decade.

You've been trying to push this "SEC is overrated" take for a long time and it never works. The results speak for themselves.

That Oklahoma take has recency bias all over it. The same logic should be applied to Texas as well. Other than 2023 their last B12 title was in 2009 but somehow we are supposed to believe they’ll go into the SEC and win? Sure they’ve got more resources but they could barely use those resources and be relevant in the B12. I think they’ll both be fine in the long run but singling out Oklahoma over Texas is lazy. I do feel Texas is in a better spot with Sark than Oklahoma is with Venables though.

As for 9-3, for all we know that could be good enough to make the playoff every year going forward. With the new teams in each conference the days of going 12-0 are going to be gone IMO.

The logic does apply to Texas. The only reason Oklahoma is being mentioned is because Oklahoma actually dominated their conference whereas Texas was mediocre for over a decade.

Oklahoma and Texas are going to go from being the most talented teams in their conference to being behind a couple other teams every year. For that reason alone they would take a step back and expectations need to be adjusted accordingly.

I also don't think 9-3 will get you in the playoff in most years.

I don’t think it will either but it’s hard to say for sure because it’s so dependent on the landscape of football and how all of the other teams are doing. If you get an Alabama with close losses to ranked UGA, Ole Miss, and let’s say Texas I think they’ll get in but like I said it depends on the other teams ahead of them

Thamel deleted the tweet but too late. Announcement spoiled.

1720142865114.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom