Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Cubs lose again. We are in trouble.
Relax, man. The Cubs are fine. There are 162 games. There is no way one can expect them to play .800 ball or whatever it was all year like they started. They need bullpen help, but they aren't in trouble. 

Dexter Fowler was injured on June 18th.

The Cubs beat the Pirates the next day to go to 47-20.

From that point on, they are 5-13, with 4 of those wins coming against the Reds.

They've lost a series to the Cards, Marlins, Mets, and Reds since Fowler got hurt.

Last night we saw Contreras, Almora, Candelario, Patton, all playing instead of Soler, Fowler, Coghlan, Ross, Richard, etc.

Oh by the way, the Cubs are going to play 24 games, in 24 days. Meaning, zero rest, with a banged up roster. We've seen Rizzo sit a couple games, Bryant come out of a couple games, Hammel leave a start, Lester and Arrieta have rough outings. Ross on the DL, etc. It's a rough stretch. It happens, every year, to every team. EVERY team is going to lose 60+ games per year, even the Elite teams.

Get to the break. Get some rest. Get Fowler, Soler, Ross, Richard, back. Bring up Joe Nathan to help the pen. Then we have about 2 weeks before the trade deadline in which Theo will add a player or two to deepen the roster even further.

Make no mistake, I HATE losing games. Especially to the Reds and Braves. I HATE it. But it happens. Just like my Lakers used to lose to the Charlotte Bobcats in seasons where we'd win the Championship. It happens.

RELAX.

The walks we aren't taking................. :smh:

Early in the year, we made pitchers pay. High counts, lot of runners, just tortured them.

Now we got guys hitting into double plays with 3-1 counts, and swinging and missing at 3-0 and 2-0 pitches. LET THEM WALK YOU DUMB ***.

Already happened twice, in two innings tonight. Contreras and Arrieta both swinging, and Liriano is throwin nothin but balls. At worst you tax him so much with high pitch counts you get him out by the 4th-5th inning, stop letting him get off easy. Both guys could have loaded the bases with only 1 out. **** :smh:

So of course, Arrieta grounds into a double play, and then comes out and gives up a solo homer to start the 2nd. :lol:

Flat out, plain ole, bad luck right now fellas. Get back to the fundamental baseball they were playin early in the year, takin walks, workin counts, etc, they'll start to have more luck again. Right now, they just fighting themselves too damn much. :smh:

Relax, man. The Cubs are fine. There are 162 games. There is no way one can expect them to play .800 ball or whatever it was all year like they started. They need bullpen help, but they aren't in trouble. 

Arrieta is gonna lose again. Are we still fine?? You guys are way too optimistic. We're in the middle of a free fall and u guys suddenly expect it to stop.

^
Gotta agree with my boy AR.
This is a free fall, this ain't no ordinary slump, we are burning and crashing fast.
I also agree with CP, where as a team were not working the counts, we're letting these pitchers off the hook. I don't know what the hell is going on but somethings gotta give, can't keep pretending like all is well when everything around us is falling apart.

I expect Joe to get guys going, after all that's what we brought him in here for. Can't keep playing the cool guy role, step it up and get the team headed in the right direction. His bullpen calls have been questionable, he leaves struggling pitchers out there too long, and most of all he hasn't gotten into anyone's @ss about they're poor play.

Were gonna get swept by Pittsburgh and then the mass freaking out will begin. I've been on edge for weeks now, but no one listens to me.

24 games in 24 days lead to issues, everywhere.

We have issues, everywhere.

Easy to connect the dots.

Get to the break, get rested, get Fowler/Soler back, get fixed.

We've been terrible for two weeks and still have a solid lead. It'll turn around.

That heyward AB sums up the Cubs last month.

And his terrible start.

Last edited:
Lester was absolutely terrible, and Warren comes in and pitches worse. Staff has gone completely in the tank. They can't get anybody out.

Is it Contreras? He's been great with his bat, but staff ERA is atrocious since he came up. ??????

I told yall ...we are in big trouble. Pirates gonna sweep tomorrow. You guys , CP, need to open your eyes to the problems we have. Much bigger than just lack of rest. We suck in every phase . And it's been 3 weeks. This is more than a slump. It might be a collapse....

:lol: It has been 3 weeks.

Without a single day off and multiple injuries + bad luck. Thats what a slump is. That's exactly what it is. :lol:

ESPN radio in Chicago stays pointing out the loser mentality that cubs fans have in the city

ESPN radio in Chicago stays pointing out the loser mentality that cubs fans have in the city

Yep.

We are in WAY better shape than we were last year at ASB. But people panicking left and right. No perspective.

Let them get rested/healthy, they will get right again.

This all-start break will provide some much needed rest. Our pitching has been horrible that last couple of weeks. Plus Theo will make a move to solidify the bullpen. Book it!

Looks like the team is mentally tired. this much needed break is well needed. Lets regroup and come back strong for the 2nd half of the season.

W. 53-35

Week off, get Fowler/Soler/Ross/Richard back, first days off in almost a month.

Extended rest for Hendricks, Hammel, Lackey, Lester and Arrieta. As well as rest for the pen.

Nathan likely will get called up as well.

7 up on the Cards.
7.5 up on the Pirates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom