Official Air Jordan IV white/cement release thread 2/18/12:::NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING:::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I don't think the reason shoes are more hyped and difficult to get now is because of the "hypebeasts and resellers." It's the internet. In the 90s, the only way you could flip a pair of kicks is by selling them to people you knew or by your friends telling their friends. Now, you can post your shoes on Niketalk, ISS, eBay, Craigslist, and any other sneaker forum you can find. That wasn't an option back in the day.

Not to mention, inflation raised the prices of clothes n other things. In the 90s, a lot of people were hesitant to drop $150 on some sneakers, so they passed or waited for a sale. In 2012, Air Max, Nike retros, LeBrons, Kobes, etc are all in the $150+ range so it makes it more acceptable to drop so much on a pair of sneakers.
Internet was around at the turn of the century and it wasn't this bad champ, good job trying to justify what people do now.
Even back then they were widely available.  GR's stores could get multiple orders, none of this created limited availability.

All retro's from the start until about 2005 were an easy buy, walk in and walk out with no hassle.  Then it died out a bit completely and came back with a fervor after the Space Jams dropped a couple of years ago.

It's not inflation though boss.  IV's were $100 back then, and that was with marketing and development in the books.  Now, they are $160 with cheaper materials, no R&D, and no ads.  Think about it.  It's bad that Nike/JB has priced these too high, forces the secondary market to sell them high as well in order to turn a very minimal profit.

It's still not acceptable to drop $150+ on a pair of sneakers.  Maybe in this community, but outside of it, people will not understand.  Good try though, A for Effort, D for execution.

Market manipulation, JB is creating supply and demand.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

There going for a lot on ebay, Ill wait and pay retail + Shipping
won't happen. there isnt anyone kind enough to do that. your basically asking someone to do you a favor for free who you dont know. unless you are doing something for that person. I would not do it just off the fact i dont know you. but on the other hand they will probably just r@pe you on shipping
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 45DE

Originally Posted by SCuse7

There going for a lot on ebay, Ill wait and pay retail + Shipping
won't happen. there isnt anyone kind enough to do that. your basically asking someone to do you a favor for free who you dont know. unless you are doing something for that person. I would not do it just off the fact i dont know you. but on the other hand they will probably just r@pe you on shipping
laugh.gif
Prices drop all the time, just have to be patient.  You're right no one is kind, but neither are the bills at the end of the month.  When it's time to pay the CC bill, prices will come down.  
laugh.gif

I hope Eastbay comes through for Platinum Loyalty members on a restock. That's how I got my black/cement 3s for retail a month later.

Originally Posted by CrAzYFLiPxNyC

The game has changed for the worst.
30t6p3b.gif
Last night was definitely the worst NDC experience I've ever had

Last night had nothing to do with demand. It had to do with them working on the secure servers and not being able to handle the payment processing and checkout process. When they optimized the server and rebooted, they sold out in less than a minute with no issues. Nike's poor IT decisions made last night a horrible experience, not demand or resellers.

struck out online and went to go for the 5am lineup at Lakewood HOH where they had about 180 pairs and opened at 7am. there was probably close to 300 people deep if not more. the lineup situation was silly as usual with mall security and five squad cars. anyhow, i was able to secure my size 11 at the 77th spot in line and got them for $159 out the door with my vip gift card.

i struck out on NDC despite getting to the processing order screen twice and then time out... headed to the mall earlier and struck out there to... all i want is a sz 12 for a good price

I don't think the reason shoes are more hyped and difficult to get now is because of the "hypebeasts and resellers." It's the internet. In the 90s, the only way you could flip a pair of kicks is by selling them to people you knew or by your friends telling their friends. Now, you can post your shoes on Niketalk, ISS, eBay, Craigslist, and any other sneaker forum you can find. That wasn't an option back in the day.

Not to mention, inflation raised the prices of clothes n other things. In the 90s, a lot of people were hesitant to drop $150 on some sneakers, so they passed or waited for a sale. In 2012, Air Max, Nike retros, LeBrons, Kobes, etc are all in the $150+ range so it makes it more acceptable to drop so much on a pair of sneakers.
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about dude. Take your made-up theories elsewhere lol, no one and I MEAN NO ONE fliped jordans back in the 90s. I am old enough to remember.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Internet was around at the turn of the century and it wasn't this bad champ, good job trying to justify what people do now.
Even back then they were widely available.  GR's stores could get multiple orders, none of this created limited availability.

All retro's from the start until about 2005 were an easy buy, walk in and walk out with no hassle.  Then it died out a bit completely and came back with a fervor after the Space Jams dropped a couple of years ago.

It's not inflation though boss.  IV's were $100 back then, and that was with marketing and development in the books.  Now, they are $160 with cheaper materials, no R&D, and no ads.  Think about it.  It's bad that Nike/JB has priced these too high, forces the secondary market to sell them high as well in order to turn a very minimal profit.

It's still not acceptable to drop $150+ on a pair of sneakers.  Maybe in this community, but outside of it, people will not understand.  Good try though, A for Effort, D for execution.

Market manipulation, JB is creating supply and demand.
I think he actually does have a point about the internet. Of course it was around at the turn of the century. But message boards like NT, blogs, social networking sites like Facebook/Mysspace/Twitter, etc weren't as prevalent back then. In 1999, I remember communicating with my boys solely via AIM and my land line telephone. I didn't even have a cell phone. Now you have kids and young adults with their smartphones, gaming consoles, computers in their classrooms and internet on their laptops accessing all of this information wherever and whenever. Think of all the free advertising those sites I mentioned produces for brand like JB. Then think of how many more similar sites there are. All you need is one kid with a pic of himself in some clean J's or an image of his collection on Facebook to create some buzz online. What does Nike need to spend money on advertising for when they have all these sites doing the work for free?

Also, Craigslist wasn't around back then. ebay was, however not nearly as many users and I can't remember sneaker reselling being as outrageous and I've been a buyer/seller since 2000. You even have nearly any retailer you choose at the click of a mouse giving that extra option before the morning of the release. Like it or not, technology has absolutely had it's hand in this. No doubt.

Originally Posted by bigdanes14

Didnt get my pair, but I got UFC 3 instead n saved my $. I AINT 2 MAD.

laugh.gif
...ok, good luck wearing those after release.  Its all good, glad our ok with it, wish everyone had that outlook that didnt copp.

For everyone waiting to buy from resellers, definitely wait a week or so til everyone gets their pairs they order online. The market will then flood and prices will drop.

Originally Posted by West Coast Avenger

Originally Posted by topnotchflip

Originally Posted by cloudypokerchips

Cement 4 for Concords straight up??? What you guys think??? Was just offered this trade!
if you're getting the cords...i think its a win!

Exactly!
As long as you know where the concords were bought from

Originally Posted by thejrob

For everyone waiting to buy from resellers, definitely wait a week or so til everyone gets their pairs they order online. The market will then flood and prices will drop.

pimp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom