Official Air Max 97 Thread

Haircut for Thanksgiving…
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg

There's a lot of talk in the thread about sizing but I didn't see anything specific to the Comme des Garçons (CDG) AM97. Anyone have any idea on how this one runs? Thanks in advance!

Ill try on my pair later today and tell you how I feel. I went TTS but I know some say go up .5 in 97s. Hopefully they arent too tight.

So I have been taking a break from pick ups for quite sometime. But, I have a few giftcards to burn. Besides running more narrow, what are the differences aesthetically between the mens and womens gold 97s?

So I have been taking a break from pick ups for quite sometime. But, I have a few giftcards to burn. Besides running more narrow, what are the differences aesthetically between the mens and womens gold 97s?

They’re not more narrow. They are the same. Size up 1.5 sizes from your men’s size for the identical fit in a women’s color way/sizing.

IMG_1351.jpeg
So I have always wondered why Air Max 97 are stiff. Some people said the polyurethane pillars in between are too stiff, other say air pressure inside is too high….. here’s my answer:

Indeed the air pressure is too much.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 24
IMG_1351.jpeg
So I have always wondered why Air Max 97 are stiff. Some people said the polyurethane pillars in between are too stiff, other say air pressure inside is too high….. here’s my answer:

Indeed the air pressure is too much.

Nah, it's mostly the pillars inside the air bag. The reason you're not seeing the bag compress more is that the pillars prevent there being any give between the outsole and midsole to transfer to the bag.
I've said this here before: One of my pairs of 2016/17 Silver Bullet 97s, the outsole peeled away from the bag at the heel and the bag completely deflated. I had no idea wearing them. I only knew it had happened one night when I took them off and happened to notice the gap between the outsole and the air bag. So the shoe had zero "air" pressure and still felt almost exactly the same as it always had.
Now the bigger question to me is, why are they constructed this way? Is it because the bags Nike uses on retros aren't actually engineered to offer cushioning and are just for looks? Seems that way to me. The reason is less clear. I'd guess it's cheaper. Then again, I don't remember what these types of air bags felt like back in the day. Maybe they were always this way? I don't think they were, but it's been a long time.

Nah, it's mostly the pillars inside the air bag. The reason you're not seeing the bag compress more is that the pillars prevent there being any give between the outsole and midsole to transfer to the bag.
I've said this here before: One of my pairs of 2016/17 Silver Bullet 97s, the outsole peeled away from the bag at the heel and the bag completely deflated. I had no idea wearing them. I only knew it had happened one night when I took them off and happened to notice the gap between the outsole and the air bag. So the shoe had zero "air" pressure and still felt almost exactly the same as it always had.
Now the bigger question to me is, why are they constructed this way? Is it because the bags Nike uses on retros aren't actually engineered to offer cushioning and are just for looks? Seems that way to me. The reason is less clear. I'd guess it's cheaper. Then again, I don't remember what these types of air bags felt like back in the day. Maybe they were always this way? I don't think they were, but it's been a long time.
I think this would be the one to pop and have the least noticeable impact on foot, no? And maybe that’s the design’s strength because unless I’m missing something that’s completely separate from the side air units. I’d expect the full length lateral and medial ones popping would have a far greater impact.

IMG_9188.jpeg

Maybe someone has an OG pair in some similar state and can take a look? I really have no idea if there’s any difference in construction but I tend to think the air units being spaced apart is intentional so that the entire shoe doesn’t deflate if you jam your heel too hard. I’ve never read anything that current AM97s are completely decorative air.

I think this would be the one to pop and have the least noticeable impact on foot, no? And maybe that’s the design’s strength because unless I’m missing something that’s completely separate from the side air units. I’d expect the full length lateral and medial ones popping would have a far greater impact.

IMG_9188.jpeg

Maybe someone has an OG pair in some similar state and can take a look? I really have no idea if there’s any difference in construction but I tend to think the air units being spaced apart is intentional so that the entire shoe doesn’t deflate if you jam your heel too hard. I’ve never read anything that current AM97s are completely decorative air.
Mine were deflated around the sides, not just that prominent heel bag. Barely made any difference to the feel while wearing them.

It’s the same story as all of the other air units before they were reengineered around ‘06, they used to be soft bouncy and FUNCTIONAL.

Back
Top Bottom