Official Air Max 97 Thread

This. 97s provide a lot of support.

Compared to zoom, boost, bounce, hell even phylon...they're bricks. But bricks are the foundation. I'll be the first to admit however, that if these weren't such an incredible design I would never wear them.
Yes I come for the nostalgia

It would be cool if they made a hybrid with full zoom airbag (zoom all out) with 97 upper.

Or full zoom-max airbag like LeBron 15s

Do people not realize this air bag is 20 years old? The comfort has a lot to do with the midsole. Most Air Max designs feel the same but the midsole on each bag defines how much you actually get to feel the Air.

Not everyone nowadays like Air but before Lunar and Bounce all we had were Zoom and Air. Most people used to buy Air Maxs for nostalgic purposes and yes, the comfort. Yall must be really young or new if yall just finding out AM97s dont deel as good as todays shoes.

It should be a no-brainer that modern shoes have better cushion technology compared to older models. Companies would be ****ing up if they went backwards comfort-wise. The only case I know where an older cushion technology is superior to modern tech is probably Reeboks OG DMX but the superior concept and feel comes with the deficit of structural endurance. If Reebok could remake DMX and make it stable enough to endure a bit more usage it would be the greatest cushioning system ever.

Do people not realize this air bag is 20 years old? The comfort has a lot to do with the midsole. Most Air Max designs feel the same but the midsole on each bag defines how much you actually get to feel the Air.

Not everyone nowadays like Air but before Lunar and Bounce all we had were Zoom and Air. Most people used to buy Air Maxs for nostalgic purposes and yes, the comfort. Yall must be really young or new if yall just finding out AM97s dont deel as good as todays shoes.

I may be new to 97s, but I've been wearing other Air Max shoes for a long time. I can say the Air Max 1 and Air Max 90 retros are vastly more comfortable than the 97. I'll even say 95 retros have had some level of comfort. And those 3 shoes are older than the 97.

I own over 60 pair of Air Max and none of them are really "uncomfortable" except for my solar red 95's and thats because they run small. I also don't have bad feet so There's that.

I may be new to 97s, but I've been wearing other Air Max shoes for a long time. I can say the Air Max 1 and Air Max 90 retros are vastly more comfortable than the 97. I'll even say 95 retros have had some level of comfort. And those 3 shoes are older than the 97.
Thats probably your preference then. 1s and 90s only have a heel air unit. Most of the comfort you're accustomed to is basically just the polyurethane they use for the midsole. 95s got an extremely thick midsole, I believe most of the comfort comes from how responsive it is.

97s are tuned and almost 360 but not quite. People think they feel like bricks because these are full length of just unresponsive air, you really wont feel it unless you are running/working out in them.

Thats probably your preference then. 1s and 90s only have a heel air unit. Most of the comfort you're accustomed to is basically just the polyurethane they use for the midsole. 95s got an extremely thick midsole, I believe most of the comfort comes from how responsive it is.

97s are tuned and almost 360 but not quite. People think they feel like bricks because these are full length of just unresponsive air, you really wont feel it unless you are running/working out in them.

How are they "almost" 360 air? If they just lowered the PSI for casual walking instead of for running, we would feel it more.

Why all the comfort talk? We all know this is a style thing, nobody is buying retro shoes for the comfort. There’s plenty of comfortable shoes out there if that’s your main concern. This isn’t a new thing either, look at woman complaining about their feet after a long night in their favorite heels. Just wear the shoes cause they look great knowing there’s something more comfortable out there and be happy, or don’t wear these shoes and wear something else like new balance or ASICS and get shown up by the first dude in some Max’s that walks by you. Your choice.

This being a sneakerboard and all......

I would think that we can/should somewhat expect comfort on a shoe. Like I said before, there are plenty of Air Max retros that have plenty of comfort. I think the problem is that some of us that never had a 97, and expected more. That was a mistake for myself on this particular model, but I do expect comfort on an "Air Max" shoe. Regardless of it being a retro or new model.

They’re considered a running shoe right? Would you choose to run in these or some flynits or something like that? Just like air forces used to be considered a b-ball shoe, now it’s a casual shoe. Nothing has changed to them except the products around them. I wouldn’t dare play ball in an Air Force 1 unless I have plans to come home to a bucket of ice afterward. If they changed the midsoles on an max 1 or 97 for comfort it would change the look. Us fans would then lose our **** talking about how they changed a classic. They can’t win.

It mostly depends on what you expect. Air Max is not comparable to Zoom or Lunar and has a different function. If you want a cushion you can "feel" Air Max is probably the wrong option.

Nobody asked for Nike to change the look,smh. I'm strictly speaking on what some of our expectations were BASED on previous Air Max models....

Yes certain AM1 are soft
Like my 2013 NewsPrint

Certain AM1 are hard
Like my 2016 Pinnacle but I understand it’s just cosmetic

AM95 as far as all I have
2013 NewsPrint is not soft at all
2016 Armory Navy “Yankee” is hard

90s only have heel unit I agree
1s have forefoot unit hidden.
See video:

3:42 shows forefoot Air

A full length air unit should at least compress when you walk; we should feel it! That said, that video was surprising; the air unit doesn't compress at all when squeezed when cut open (though he didn't squeeze very hard). I would have expected it to compress easily. Looks like they changed the structure so much that the air has very little function in many retros. So sad. Though I have many retro models where I can visibly see as well as feel the air compress; perhaps it's a function of PSI and misole material. 97s just look like they should be so comfy, and I have this sole from over a decade ago that was super bouncy.....

so my sister and brother in law helped work on sean wotherspoon's am 97/1 and they got hooked up BIG TIME, personal pair came with their last name on bags, the detachable velcro thing on the tongue, and a yellow corduroy hat with sean's nike smiley face. I'm jealous smh

Attachments

• IMG_9115.JPG
    IMG_9115.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
so my sister and brother in law helped work on sean wotherspoon's am 97/1 and they got hooked up BIG TIME, personal pair came with their last name on bags, the detachable velcro thing on the tongue, and a yellow corduroy hat with sean's nike smiley face. I'm jealous smh
Cool Silvias

Always wanted one
But too pricey as they hold up value

039E9E5E-3CAE-46A3-84B7-8CC030F73DDA.jpeg 77DDB096-A050-40CA-AEFB-154D236FE016.jpeg
Gave my 97TN hybrids some weight shock, and the polyurethane midsole creased good!

Sneaker of the year copped.
Nike should have put TN Ultra midsole on instead of TN original

I know some say it’s ugly but it’s okay. I love ugly sneakers

E6E59130-D1F1-42CF-9B62-D8BECE4B1712.jpeg
Interns ask me, is that your “fanciest” sneaker? (because they look like cowboy boots)

No sir, they are Air Jordan Horizons.
Not that typical Texan style. My RWD pickup corners faster than a lot of country folks.

2C6BBC0D-B881-40BF-B44B-4383A436CBA3.jpeg
Tuned side does NT compress much, just a little bit.

Thanks Nike, did a good job on this one.
Make other color happen next year. Everywhere is sold out prove that market is good.

Back
Top Bottom