OFFICIAL: Air Trainer 1 Mid Premium aka "Chlorophylls"... paging Wallyhop....

So I'm torn, my 10.5s came in today and as everyone said they are narrow (no surprise). My concern is that, as Wally said, if I trade up for an 11 they'll be waaaay too long. I have a relatively wide foot, but nothing I'd consider too outrageous.

I wore 11s in the trainer 1.2s and more recent lunar vapor trainers but typically only wear 10 or 10.5. Can anyone who falls in this 10.5-11 size range comment on going up a half size and whether or not the width/length balance worked out? After unlacing and unstrapping the shoe, length is good but I have the dreaded pinky toe pain...

Any input would be appreciated.

The same sad love song when it comes to Nike Retro's. They have been letting us down since the af1 shape and quality change when Nelly was screaming "Give me two piars!!!" in 03' if y'al really think about it. I have yet to see the 2012 Chlorophyll's in person yet, but I wasn't expecting much any ways. Reading the complaints I guess they are an easy pass or beaters fresh out of the box. The retail for $110 and label premium is Nike's headcrack so we all think we didn't really get ripped off. I guess the retro's aren't even for "casual" wear any more these days, but for staring purposes only smh. Maybe if Nike decides to give us trainer fans an "At1 Vintage" then it will finally compare to 1987, 88', 91', 94', or even 2000. Think about the vintage dunks, vintage vandals, or even the upcoming vintage am90 and tell me that wouldn't be a great product.

I agree with all of the complaints in this thread. Craftsmanship and quality on these joints is horrible. I saw few pairs at my local AF. Might still cop a pair, though, once they hit clearance racks. Will not pay more than $70.

Last edited:
Anybody know of any champs in Houston carrying them? I want to use the bday coupon for another pair. Thanks

^^^^ I'D LIKE THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION AS WELL...OR AT THE VERY LEAST A CHAMPS SKU# SO I CAN DO A STOCK LOCATE. THANKS! HOLLA....

CED B.

^^^^ I'D LIKE THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION AS WELL...OR AT THE VERY LEAST A CHAMPS SKU# SO I CAN DO A STOCK LOCATE. THANKS! HOLLA....
CED B.

Champs in Greenspoint has them. 8, 12 and 9.5 are gone from what she told me.

If that silver on the navy pair was 3M - that could be a winner...colorway-wise, at least. Materials would still be bad enough to prevent me from copping though.

I saw the hazelnuts on ebay. Beyond hideous in more ways than one.

The only navy/yellow at1 that exists in my eyes are the following:
2950511185_2963df70a5_z.jpg

The AT1 as a model has so much potential. But they go out and butcher them up without any second thoughts

So, I got my pair today. Premium my dee-hawwww. Let me start my review:
Materials - Just ok. Not SC II type, but its not god awful either. Leather is not very soft, not its defiantly not cardboard. Nubuck is average. Egg-crate insole feels nice, but cheap. The tongue isn't that bad either.
Shape - The shape on these feels so awkward. Mine came pre-creased, but not like normal factory creasing, its like someone with an awkward walk decided to run a marathon in these. The toebox is pretty bent up, and just looks bad. There are also large indents in the part of the outsole that rises up along the outside of the foot.
Fit - I got an 11, and they feel like an 11. Length wise, they're tts, but I see how people could say they're narrow. I actually had to undo the strap just to fit my foot in, but thats not really a bad thing. They're pretty comfortable, but we'll see if they break in any better. Idk if I would reccomend going .5 up if you have a wide foot though, since they would be longer, and then you would get even more awkward creases.. (if you dont care about creasing, then by all means go ahead)
Overall - Basically everything I found on these had already been said. Ok materials, horrible craftsmanship. I had no glue stains on mine, but I am sure alotta pairs will have em. Overall I would give these a 7/10. Not worth $110, but I would maybe consider a second pair to beat around on a heavy discount. If you really want a pair, but dont have the patience to find an older one, I guess these aren't too bad of a consolation ..

^^^ those look a ton better than the pair releasing...

Although I really do like the navy pair they are dropping, looks like they just inverted the navy/silver colors

Before the pictures popped up I was excited to see Navy/Yellow as a listed pair, I thought we'd be getting a retro of the Michigan Trainer 1, I'll have to see the release in person, but I think I'm ok with my Trainer purchases this year.

In my typical review fashion, I took some photos of these as if you were walking in them, at their extreme flex point.... Over the years, I have shown this off with many other shoe models

2000 vs. 2012

You want some level of free flowing creasing.. At least if you want it to feel like real leather and suede... The 2012s just sit there with terrible crease points.

2010 tr1.2 vs. 2012

Both basically exude the same lackluster shape and form to its 'leather' toebox

2005 air trainer 1 ft vs. 2012

Maybe the last year that Nike used some real soft quality leather on its shoes... And this one retailed for $80.. This one creases as you touch it. You can pinch the leather. It is truly a great example of free flowing creasing.

In the past, I have shown this with models such as the:

2008 zoom tennis trainer vs. 2004 zoom trainer 1
ff035c7b4d076344c19cc170b27a7a38e764b78_r.JPG

2000 atIII med. ball vs 2009 med ball retro
22f25644f67884531ea365238b84a3afef28b16_r.jpg

2009 auburn vs. 2000 pimento sc high
47d250e45c7404791873ff9e1827363a30eb2be_r.jpg

It's not a perfect science looking at creases, but I have learned that this is a pretty good gauge of what we can expect..... Pretty much, Nike should be out of business with what I have seen with my own two eyes. Quality is not even half of what it was.

I guess blame those that wanted a crease less shoe... So Nike just made them stiff as hell

Last edited:
Mine arrive tomorrow. Eastbay with free ship.

Got my true size and .5 up and I'll return whichever doesn't fit.

I'm Nike's dream customer. I don't care about materials, shape, air bubble size or any of that.

I just want to wear all the sneakers I loved as a kid, most of which I (meaning my mother) couldn't afford at the time.

If it looks fresh, I'm in. And these look fresh from the pics I've seen in here.

Agree all the way w you Trife. For the long haul, I'm not even sure these will crease b/c the leather feels absolutely like cardboard.
And the SC II QS did ruin things. I wore those for a few days before I got these and they're such a treat. The comparison b/w the two is night and day.
I still like/love them to wear but...just smh @ Nike for these.

Truth! Went to go check these out and the quality was horrific. Still appreciative to Nike for doing right by the Trainer SC II so I wont go in to hard on these :lol:

Last edited:
Mine arrive tomorrow. Eastbay with free ship.

Got my true size and .5 up and I'll return whichever doesn't fit.

I'm Nike's dream customer. I don't care about materials, shape, air bubble size or any of that.

I just want to wear all the sneakers I loved as a kid, most of which I (meaning my mother) couldn't afford at the time.

If it looks fresh, I'm in. And these look fresh from the pics I've seen in here.
I'm the same way, but nowadays Nike/JB pushes me to support the secondary market (eBay) too often.  As much as I love landing all of these Retros, I'd at least like them to feel comfortable on my feet.  Like many others have stated, I think the Bo Jackson Trainers set the bar too high.  Guess you just have to take what you can get with Nike these days.  Sometimes they hit a homerun, others it's a big healthy swing and miss.

Last edited:
Premium? Went through 5 pairs of these looking for something wearable.

Every shoe had either glue slopped everywhere (even the outsole!), midsole pieces haphazardly cut and pieced together, heels slanting one way, creases, or stains on the nubuck.

Materials they used are terrible. The leather is just flexible plastic.

Tried them on and pink toe is killing.

How you going to do one of the greatest shoes ever so wrong on its 25th anniversary?

HAD IT with this bare minimum garbage. Not even worth $50, forget the $110+.

I saw the hazelnuts on ebay. Beyond hideous in more ways than one.
The only navy/yellow at1 that exists in my eyes are the following:
2950511185_2963df70a5_z.jpg

The AT1 as a model has so much potential. But they go out and butcher them up without any second thoughts

QFT

These are my second favorite colorway of the AT1 after Chlorphylls. I'm the same as everyone else, saw these in Champs and was kind of underwhelmed. I'm sure I'll get around to copping a pair, but the excitement I felt when I heard these were gonna retro just sort of died out when I saw them in person. They still look good, but nothing about them seems sturdy. Just holding them I get the feeling they're gonna look beat after 2-3 wears. Plus hearing how uncomfortable they are is really discouraging.

i completely agree with illphillip.

i just wanna wear shoes that my family couldn't afford when i was a kid. Just got my size 14 in and I love them. They are surprisingly comfortable, i wore them for 5 hours at the gym and while running errands today. Definitely feel better than the Jordan retro IVs and XIs that i bought earlier this year.

Been wearing these as usual and, even given all the drawbacks, I have to admit that they're one of the few Trainer models where I haven't experienced any level of pinky toe pain.

That maybe be a relief for me johngotty.

I sold all my AT1 a few years ago bc prolonged wear would always cause pinky toe pain.

I have been more sporadic w my purchases this year so all the mixed reviews have me weary of purchasing da chlorophyl

ugggghhhh decisions decisions

Back
Top Bottom