OFFICIAL BEATMAKING / PRODUCTION THREAD Vol. New NT

DeadMau5's studio. Looking like a space station mission control. Wild.​

This setup is dope too. I like the Oriental rugs and the vintage desk, plus the fact that the owner is using two Windows PCs as opposed to the standard issue iMac or PowerMac. Feels warm and comfortable.​

what's up NT bretheren? (little back history. been lurking since '04.. made and account in '08.. lost it since the change to new NT)

check me out... made this yesterday: 

also working on an electronic ep which i'm talking my time with cause i really would like to push that.

open to feedback and collabs!

Last edited:
I have a question for the producers that don't have any major collaborations yet - I'm sure not everyone will want to answer but I'm really curious - do you guys make a decent amount of money off beats? I just ask cause I see a lot of producers with no real following that don't offer free downloads/charge for their beats. If someone's willing to pay, charging is definitely the right move. From the outside looking in (and as a rapper on the side), it seems like developing a decent following through giveaways/finding quality artists to work with would help in the long run. Am I way off here? I just look at dudes like Anno Domini and wonder why a lot of people avoid stuff like that. If you're making money, I can't knock it though.

I have a question for the producers that don't have any major collaborations yet - I'm sure not everyone will want to answer but I'm really curious - do you guys make a decent amount of money off beats? I just ask cause I see a lot of producers with no real following that don't offer free downloads/charge for their beats. If someone's willing to pay, charging is definitely the right move. From the outside looking in (and as a rapper on the side), it seems like developing a decent following through giveaways/finding quality artists to work with would help in the long run. Am I way off here? I just look at dudes like Anno Domini and wonder why a lot of people avoid stuff like that. If you're making money, I can't knock it though.
Great question becuz I wud love to get paid off my beats but these local nikkas won't cough up no cheese like they are doing you a favor by rapping over ur beat. James does the 2dopeboyz look mean anything as far as validity n u throwing prices out n getting paid?

I think a following is all relative. There's a million ways to do it, but as we all know, there are people who seem to be LOVED by the internet yet still do free work, and others who are basically unknown but always charge for their work. I think getting an artist to pay for a beat from you is difficult in this day and age, but not impossible. Find a few high-profile people to work with on the strength and then put out a paid project -- all the unsigned guys will love the idea of hopping on a beat from a "known" producer. My gauge was always "anyone you ASK to work with, make it a freebie, anyone who asks you, charge them." Simple supply and demand.

Great question becuz I wud love to get paid off my beats but these local nikkas won't cough up no cheese like they are doing you a favor by rapping over ur beat. James does the 2dopeboyz look mean anything as far as validity n u throwing prices out n getting paid?

Again, local dudes are a dead end usually...but never think anyone's doing you a favor. I say hit the nicest ones off with a few things for free, the lesser knowns and less talented will start to fall in line. Getting that blog love is always helpful, but it's not the end all-be all. Any looks I've gotten from sites have just helped the bigger picture, not been the thing that let me know, "okay, it's time to start charging." Still, off of those looks you'll find that people will reach out to you looking to pay you for your services.

I won't let this die...

Has anyone seen this? New Maschine, looks pretty awesome. I think my next setup is going to be a lot of Native Instruments VSTs (see: Komplete) hosted by Sony Acid Pro 7. I love the sounds and how they interface with Acid as a sequencer. This might become part of the setup as well (besides my Midi controller I've never had a "physical" interface for playing drums/samples), alongside a Traktor DJ controller.

Man that looks pretty crazy...

I'd love to see a pic of your current setup James if your willing to share

Man that looks pretty crazy...

I'd love to see a pic of your current setup James if your willing to share

Honestly, my rig has NO curb appeal whatsoever. It looks basically like any one else's computer desk, save for the presence of a small Soundcraft mixer and an interface. I'll snap a picture when I get a chance, but it's nothing to get hyped over. Lol.

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing other NTer's setups...

I won't let this die...

Has anyone seen this? New Maschine, looks pretty awesome. I think my next setup is going to be a lot of Native Instruments VSTs (see: Komplete) hosted by Sony Acid Pro 7. I love the sounds and how they interface with Acid as a sequencer. This might become part of the setup as well (besides my Midi controller I've never had a "physical" interface for playing drums/samples), alongside a Traktor DJ controller.

So glad I didn't buy the MK 2.
eek.gif

I pray this is Quad Core...please...please.

maschine 2 looks really dope, always wanted a drum machine to work on my patterns and make then more realistic.

that maschine is cool but looks too colorful

I copped that MPC Studio recently and got rid of my old MP

it's ok so far..I might get another mpc 2500 later on

^nice time-ing.

Jumpin back in here also. Nothing to showcase yet. Haven't done anything music related in years. Connects are all in Chicago and I'm out on the west coast.

I would love to pick up an EP project if any socal creative artist in here want to collabo.

Dat feel when FL crashes and you didn't save the project... :stoneface: :frown:

I quite possibly just lost thousands of dollars. That beat was FLAMES. :x :smh:

Dat feel when FL crashes and you didn't save the project... :stoneface: :frown:

I quite possibly just lost thousands of dollars. That beat was FLAMES. :x :smh:

Lmao ur stupid bruh this is the worst! U be tryna scramble to recreate the vibe but with no luck. R u in ur feelings becuz this jus happened?

Dat feel when FL crashes and you didn't save the project...

We've all been here...

"And yet, this is a tale I've heard one time too many."

SAVE SAVE SAVE.

I cannot stress this enough, the minute you complete a task on a track, save the project.

Chopped a sample? Save it.

Looped something? Save it.

Added a bassline? Save it.

Programmed your kick/snare/hat pattern? Save it.

Going to the bathroom? Save it.

You see where I'm going with this? Lol...​

Last edited:
Do all of you guys use studio monitors???

I use some 5.1 surround sound speakers at home and earphones when im at work making beats.. just wondering if there is a significant difference while producing (not mixing)

The homie decided to warm up a can of spaghetti-os in the microwave, while the AC was on, in the middle of a session last night without telling anyone :smh: :x .. power went out in the outdated apartment, beat lost :frown:

reaper has autosave... it can either overwrite the og file or make backup files however often u set it to...

fl may or may not have a similar feature... check and see

We've all been here...

"And yet, this is a tale I've heard one time too many."

SAVE SAVE SAVE.

I cannot stress this enough, the minute you complete a task on a track, save the project.

Chopped a sample? Save it.

Looped something? Save it.

Added a bassline? Save it.

Programmed your kick/snare/hat pattern? Save it.

Going to the bathroom? Save it.

You see where I'm going with this? Lol...​

Not only that but I have my beats saved on multiple drives too. I have a 2nd harddrive that files are backed up on on my pc. I have an external drive for files and a thumb drive. One time I got a virus on my pc. It was from NT too :smh:. My heart sunk to the floor because my beats was the first thing I thought of losing. Was not a good feeling. But being the savy tech person I am though, I was able to recover my all my files from the harddrive before I re installed my OS.

Back
Top Bottom