OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

Originally Posted by solarius49

I always considered comic books to be the modern mythology of our day and age, but all of the reboots seem to be ruining that for me, thoughts?
Well, lemme say first I've never really read superhero comics with some exceptions like the really hyped up issues or miniseries (Civil War, The Killing Joke)...

But I'm guessing all the reboots just show you how fickle and contrived most origins and even just characters are from the beginning. You can only put so many twists on them until all of the sudden, you forget what the real version is or realize how simple and common the basic things you loved about the characters are? You're realizing that you're not even reading new takes on the characters you liked, but just figuring out the writer's personality. And then the lack of closure...that feeling where you realize they didn't have a good enough reason to make a whole new series, they just did it and that's business and they'll do it again. And the writer broke so many rules of the original just to be cool, that you're not even sure if it's disrespect or if you shouldn't have taken it so seriously in the first place. I'm guessing that's what you mean?

Plus comics are different, movies at least have money and marketing and viewer fatigue to scare them off rebooting and remaking every 5 minutes. Comics can have 10 versions of the same character coming out every month. Eughk.

Just made the pick up of my life! Picked up the sketch book of the legendary, late but great Dwayne Mcduffie the man redoubtable for shows like Justice League unlimited, comics like Icon, Blood Snydicate and one of my favorite superheroes of all time Static Shock. Theres About 40 or so pages of artwork and I gotta tell you this stuff is nothing short of amazing!

so the smart thing to do against an invading race (in The Ultimates issue 08) is to drop every nuke in america's arsenal on them
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

WOW

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by solarius49

I always considered comic books to be the modern mythology of our day and age, but all of the reboots seem to be ruining that for me, thoughts?
Well, lemme say first I've never really read superhero comics with some exceptions like the really hyped up issues or miniseries (Civil War, The Killing Joke)...

But I'm guessing all the reboots just show you how fickle and contrived most origins and even just characters are from the beginning. You can only put so many twists on them until all of the sudden, you forget what the real version is or realize how simple and common the basic things you loved about the characters are? You're realizing that you're not even reading new takes on the characters you liked, but just figuring out the writer's personality. And then the lack of closure...that feeling where you realize they didn't have a good enough reason to make a whole new series, they just did it and that's business and they'll do it again. And the writer broke so many rules of the original just to be cool, that you're not even sure if it's disrespect or if you shouldn't have taken it so seriously in the first place. I'm guessing that's what you mean?

Plus comics are different, movies at least have money and marketing and viewer fatigue to scare them off rebooting and remaking every 5 minutes. Comics can have 10 versions of the same character coming out every month. Eughk.
I mean your 100% right, but I guess every new generation needs an understand of every characters origin.  I still love superhero books though

Originally Posted by Rick2345

Just made the pick up of my life! Picked up the sketch book of the legendary, late but great Dwayne Mcduffie the man redoubtable for shows like Justice League unlimited, comics like Icon, Blood Snydicate and one of my favorite superheroes of all time Static Shock. Theres About 40 or so pages of artwork and I gotta tell you this stuff is nothing short of amazing!How much did you spend

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Originally Posted by Rick2345

I spent $42.59 with shipping.

From where sir

eBay best deal of my life. The seller listed it as only a few pieces but turned out to be Dwayne Mcduffie's whole sketchbook.

There's alot of nice Deadpool collections on ebay right now . I'd bid on one if I didn't waste almost 300 dollars this week on stuff I shouldn't buying.

That one issue of Punisher, when he rolled up in that family's house who were making kiddy pron. He took the parents in the basement, and shot both of them in the head while the kids sat upstairs watching TV.

No one on here picked up AvX issue: 2?! This issue IMO blew issue 1 right out the water, magnetic fastball special
pimp.gif

Brock as the new Venom is good. The series has been okay so far but to me what's been great is the character development for Brock and his journey throughout. One plot point I'm waiting for is when Peter finds out he's the new Venom. They've already semi fought and have been interacting around that time so it should come to a head quite well. At the moment Cap and a few other Avengers are hiding it from him.

The new Ghost Rider caught me off guard. I don't follow the book but not sure she'll last but she was good enough in that circle of four arc.

I'm holding off on the AvX event until it's finished. I like JR JR's art in Kick-*@@ a lot but it just stuck out to me how much it sucked in Eternals and now in AvX for some reason so I can wait. I've only read issues of the tie-ins in Avengers (whoever is doing the art for that now sucks) and New Avengers.

As for reboots it's all for money man. I don't read DC but that's why they did the new 52, same with Marvel having 2 or 3 events with a bunch of tie-ins every year. Also just like them restarting a book that's had hundreds of issues back to zero for claiming it has something to do with the current story.

What I'm really enjoying the most the past few months are Secret Avengers, X-Force, Amazing/Avenging Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, The Punisher (the current Omega Effect crossover event in Avenging Spider-Man and Daredevil is worth the read), most of the X-books, FF, Hulk, and Winter Soldier.

Robert Kirkman's Thief of Thieves is being turned into an AMC television show. Hopefully It gets as popular as walking dead and I can flip my 2 Varient number one issues for 7 thousand a piece like what walking dead #1 is going for now

I like AvsX so far. I know it's been receiving a lot of hate from the fan boys but I thinks it's been good. I'm looking forward to AvsX:VS, the first versus issue drops this week. I've been trying to diversify my purchases here recently and have been buying non super hero titles. Saga is really good. I've also bought trades of Sin City, Scalped and The Walking Dead and I love all three! I know I'm late to the party with those titles but I'd def recommend checking them out if you're like myself and typically stick to super hero titles.

I kinda wish AvsX was not so predictable because they really showed whats gonna happen in the scarlet witch dream dairy.

When cyk just unloaded on cap, I thought that was ill. Cyk will be a villain one day...mark my words. How much you wanna bet a piece of apocalypse is still in him somewhere.

I'm really interested in the cover where iron fist has the phoenix force.

Originally Posted by sevenzro1

I like AvsX so far. I know it's been receiving a lot of hate from the fan boys but I thinks it's been good. I'm looking forward to AvsX:VS, the first versus issue drops this week. I've been trying to diversify my purchases here recently and have been buying non super hero titles. Saga is really good. I've also bought trades of Sin City, Scalped and The Walking Dead and I love all three! I know I'm late to the party with those titles but I'd def recommend checking them out if you're like myself and typically stick to super hero titles.
Saga has become one of my favorite titles to pull. I really like the writing. I still have to read Y: The Last Man.
I am enjoying AvX. I don't really have anything to complain about. Cyclops is on a whole different level now. I agree with you Grimlock, maybe he does become a villain at the end of all this. I really want to know what's going to happen in the Marvel Universe after this storyline...

I had no idea Luke Cage and Thing can hold their breath that long underwater. Hahaha.

AVX artwork is embarrassing...

storyline is decent and I like the character integration so far....but MAN the art is HORRIBLE.

^
laugh.gif
When I browse comic forums and sites the comment section is usually filled with hate for JR JR. It's so incredibly blatant how bad his art has become at times. Like I said though, it's weird nobody minds it for Kick-%#% but this AvX event did not have the right choice for artist.

Back
Top Bottom