Official E-Reader Thread vol. Kindle, Skiff, Plastic Logic

Ok NT, so I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for a long time. Basically I have too many books and its a pain to move them around whenever I move (intl student atm) plus this thing looks like it pays for itself in the long run. A lot of books are free given that theyre in public domain

Amazon-Kindle2.jpg

The Amazon Kindle

550134.jpg

Plastic Logic's E-Reader

0183.jpg

Skiff's E-Reader. [This hasnt come out yet and doesnt have a release date/price announced]

Anyways, if anybody has information about past experiences with any of these or has a different one to recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and if you already have one:

www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

^free ebooks

Ok NT, so I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for a long time. Basically I have too many books and its a pain to move them around whenever I move (intl student atm) plus this thing looks like it pays for itself in the long run. A lot of books are free given that theyre in public domain

Amazon-Kindle2.jpg

The Amazon Kindle

550134.jpg

Plastic Logic's E-Reader

0183.jpg

Skiff's E-Reader. [This hasnt come out yet and doesnt have a release date/price announced]

Anyways, if anybody has information about past experiences with any of these or has a different one to recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and if you already have one:

www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

^free ebooks

I've had a Kindle since December and the thing paid for itself 3x over in trxtboks for my last quarter. I also have a program that converts .PDF files to the .azw format (native Kindle format). I say it's well worth it as long as you're not one of those people who need a physical book in-hand

I've had a Kindle since December and the thing paid for itself 3x over in trxtboks for my last quarter. I also have a program that converts .PDF files to the .azw format (native Kindle format). I say it's well worth it as long as you're not one of those people who need a physical book in-hand

How is the Nook?

I've been meaning to get an e-reader as well..but the kindle is a way too expensive for my taste...

How is the Nook?

I've been meaning to get an e-reader as well..but the kindle is a way too expensive for my taste...

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

wow thats just awesome. i didnt even kno that you could get textbooks on there, but now that i do, im gettin that for sure. few questions though:

1) Whats the value in converting files from .pdf to the native kindle format?

2) Where can you get textbooks for the kindle? As in specifically.

ty

wow thats just awesome. i didnt even kno that you could get textbooks on there, but now that i do, im gettin that for sure. few questions though:

ty

Originally Posted by Theta

ty

Before you jump into the fray...do a bit more research on the textbook aspect. Not many publishers are onboard with e-books (they make a killing off physical books...why would they charge less for an electronic version?). The books I get are "aquired" if you know what I mean
laugh.gif

Kindles only recognize .azw files...there's no support for .PDFs like the nook and a few other e-readers on the market. Some third-party software makers just took it upon themselves to make software that converts for you. Since .PDF books are available readily...and usually for free...that saves you $10 a title right there.

You typically buy kindle e-books from amazon.com, and there's even a free book section, but PM me and I can telll you more

Originally Posted by Theta

ty

Before you jump into the fray...do a bit more research on the textbook aspect. Not many publishers are onboard with e-books (they make a killing off physical books...why would they charge less for an electronic version?). The books I get are "aquired" if you know what I mean
laugh.gif

Kindles only recognize .azw files...there's no support for .PDFs like the nook and a few other e-readers on the market. Some third-party software makers just took it upon themselves to make software that converts for you. Since .PDF books are available readily...and usually for free...that saves you $10 a title right there.

You typically buy kindle e-books from amazon.com, and there's even a free book section, but PM me and I can telll you more

I got the Nook and love it. The Wifi only version is only $150 and the WiFi + 3G version is $200 (but do you really need a 3G e-reader?)

I got the Nook and love it. The Wifi only version is only $150 and the WiFi + 3G version is $200 (but do you really need a 3G e-reader?)

My boy willy just bought a Nook and he said it's cool. I only played with it for like half a minute but it looks pretty tight!

My boy willy just bought a Nook and he said it's cool. I only played with it for like half a minute but it looks pretty tight!

if i wanted to get an e-reader, i'd get the nook because of the price and it supports epub format. if you look, you can get all the books available online. i've got 600+ books free and paid but i don't read enough to buy an e-reader just yet. i'll wait a while.

if i wanted to get an e-reader, i'd get the nook because of the price and it supports epub format. if you look, you can get all the books available online. i've got 600+ books free and paid but i don't read enough to buy an e-reader just yet. i'll wait a while.

Out of the major manufacturers Sony's e-readers are superior if you strictly want hardware to read books.

Out of the major manufacturers Sony's e-readers are superior if you strictly want hardware to read books.

Back
Top Bottom