Official HBCU thread vol.Bring on the arguements

nyfly1

Banned
Im thinking about applying to one or two
What is a difference between them and other coleges? (besides the diversity)
I think it would be more fun because theres more people like yourself that u can chill with.
They are pretty expensive tho?
If anyone goes to one, drop some knowledge

Anyone?

im headed to Southern University
mos def a good look
happy.gif
smokin.gif

I went to Howard before transferring to a *regular* university. It wasn't a bad school, I enjoyed myself. Socially, of course, its a new experience formost because its the first time that you are around a majority of Black kids who are, for the most part, motivated, goal-oriented and come to class everydayready to learn. I def. enjoyed it in that aspect. Not being 'the black kid' in class was nice. Academically, the school wasn't all that I thoughtit would be, especially considering all the hype that is around it. It def. has its ghetto-ocity to it. Not terrible by any means though. I'll just saythat if you go, just know its not a reflection of what the *real world* will be like. You can go to a regular state university or wherever and still be able tofind people similar to you, people that have similar interest and goals, etc, etc...

You just like trying to start topics that will be controversial and get a lot of replies.

Best decision ive ever made in my life. ill be graduating in a week. Its an experience you can not get anywhere else in life. its a unique environment and itwill teach you stuff you wouldnt get at a PWI. the thing i will say is apply to the top tier schools. the education you get will be equivalent to any otherschool and youll get more than you can get at another school. my advice is undergrad it at an HBCU then grad school it at a top tier University. trust me i gotlots of friends graduating going to Wall St and Ivy leagues. dont believe all that other mess.

Once you get to the workplace it's all about what you know not where you went. Yes, where you went might get you in the door but what you know will keepyou there so wherever you go make sure you hit the books.

Originally Posted by Houseman7208

Best decision ive ever made in my life. ill be graduating in a week. Its an experience you can not get anywhere else in life. its a unique environment and it will teach you stuff you wouldnt get at a PWI. the thing i will say is apply to the top tier schools. the education you get will be equivalent to any other school and youll get more than you can get at another school. my advice is undergrad it at an HBCU then grad school it at a top tier University. trust me i got lots of friends graduating going to Wall St and Ivy leagues. dont believe all that other mess.

One HBCU goer (albeit former) to another, what have you learned in this environment that you haven't learned elsewhere? I've learned some uniquethings, positive and negative, but just want to see what your input is...

i heard from numerous people howard sucks, dont go unless it's your safety. apply to ivy leagues bro, trust.

well going to Morehouse its a unique situation. First thing that comes to mind was the history 111 course we all took freshman year. it was taught from a afrocentric rather than Eurocentric view of society. its opens your eyes to a world you have never been taught about. secondly its an identity that i have gottenfrom going to an hbcu ( or smaller school in general) im not just a number and my teachers know me and have a general concern about me when im not in theclassroom. I will also say the bonds that you get from being surrounded by a group of positive african americans. me and my boys were talking the other nightand we were like yo 20 yrs down the road we gonna have each others backs. im going to so and so for my dental work and someone else for legal advice. I justhink its a culture at an HBCU that doesnt exist anywhere else. again Morehouse is a lil unique.

Originally Posted by hovkid350

i heard from numerous people howard sucks, dont go unless it's your safety. apply to ivy leagues bro, trust.
your the 1st person i ever heard say this
laugh.gif

can any1 here agree with him? or state the reason why?

Originally Posted by NYfly1

Originally Posted by hovkid350

your the 1st person i ever heard say this
laugh.gif

can any1 here agree with him? or state the reason why?

im not tryna bash or put any schools above each other. but i was looking at howard's admissions stats and it was
sick.gif
roll.gif
at the kind of people they were letting in. i literally said "jesus christ" when i read the stats.

well going to Morehouse its a unique situation. First thing that comes to mind was the history 111 course we all took freshman year. it was taught from a afro centric rather than Eurocentric view of society. its opens your eyes to a world you have never been taught about. secondly its an identity that i have gotten from going to an hbcu ( or smaller school in general) im not just a number and my teachers know me and have a general concern about me when im not in the classroom. I will also say the bonds that you get from being surrounded by a group of positive african americans. me and my boys were talking the other night and we were like yo 20 yrs down the road we gonna have each others backs. im going to so and so for my dental work and someone else for legal advice. I jus think its a culture at an HBCU that doesnt exist anywhere else. again Morehouse is a lil unique.

Yeah, you went to Morehouse. I know a few people there, I can say its one HBCU that def. impresses me. Seems like they have a solid foundation and programset up so that kids will prosper. Swim, not sink...

Concerning Howard, I wouldn't say its a *terrible* school, but like I said, I was a little disappointed. They need to take a few steps before they canreally live up to the hype, a lot of it self-initiated. It has a very proud legacy and hopefully it can do what it needs to do to honor it and get up to whereit should be...

How pretentious are we as a society when the fact a school's original mission statement was based around letting everybody (obviously blacks, women, NativeAmericans, even whites who couldn't into the other schools) and that it somewhat continues that today is a bad thing?

"I turn my nose up at that school. They let people in who aren't silver spooners." :smh

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

How pretentious are we as a society when the fact a school's original mission statement was based around letting everybody (obviously blacks, women, Native Americans, even whites who couldn't into the other schools) and that it somewhat continues that today is a bad thing?

"I turn my nose up at that school. They let people in who aren't silver spooners." :smh

bro, its nothing like that. their admission stats are really low when we compare them to top schools. im assuming the OP is going for the top education hewants to go to, or i'd at least like to hope
roll.gif
and howard isn't it.its purpose was good, a brilliant idea, all im saying is that the admission stats for average incoming freshmans are awful. OP go to a top 20 school,you'll enjoy more
wink.gif

the OP just likes to start controversial topics, especially about race, so he can look at his "replied" stats and get a boner at the fact he startedthat topic. It's proven.

^^^ i dont agree. Admission stats are low because it lets more than just your top students in. and ive found that your HS stats have nothing to do with whatyou will be in college. some times you have to take a chance. i know i was no where near a standout student in HS. a horrible GPA (below 3.0) and a mediocreSAT. Now im a graduating senior in 4yrs graduating cum laude. Im not alone either. i know plenty of ppl who wouldnt be your standouts but are doing greatthings. theres intangibles that arent measured in admission stats. and i will put my degree up against and ivy league or top 20. i actually know ppl who havegraduated and met ppl from your harvards and stuff and blew them out the water in interviews. honestly at certain schools your paying for a brand name jus asyou would jordan. the qaulity may be crappy but dammit its still a jordan. my advice is do what feels right for you and take some tours. o and being a blackmale... Morehouse is tops hands down.

roll.gif
Did you even read his statement? The admission stats are sub-par, thatrefers to grades, extra-curriculars, etc. That has nothing to do with your family's income. I have a 4.0, does that mean I grew up wealthy? No it meansI've worked hard. That's not to say there are no intelligent people at Howard, I know plenty of Howard alumns and current students who are extremelyintelligent. It's just saying the school doesn't have a strict enough acceptance guideline to be talked about as one of the elites. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

roll.gif
Did you even read his statement? The admission stats are sub-par, that refers to grades, extra-curriculars, etc. That has nothing to do with your family's income. I have a 4.0, does that mean I grew up wealthy? No it means I've worked hard. That's not to say there are no intelligent people at Howard, I know plenty of Howard alumns and current students who are extremely intelligent. It's just saying the school doesn't have a strict enough acceptance guideline to be talked about as one of the elites. Just my opinion.

exactly kick.

houseman, nobody is saying howard students aren't smart. all i was doing was pointing out that their admissions aren't as hard as one would think,due to all the hype howard gets. me as a student, i'd rather go to a university where the average gpa is a 3.8 or higher, then howard, who's averagegpa's are mediocre. im not saying howard students dont go to success in life, i'd rather surround myself with people who are just as diligent as i am.

Originally Posted by NYfly1

Im thinking about applying to one or two
What is a difference between them and other coleges? (besides the diversity)
I think it would be more fun because theres more people like yourself that u can chill with.
They are pretty expensive tho?
If anyone goes to one, drop some knowledge

Anyone?

Basically the diversity is the thing and also depends on which school you want to go to. My school (Florida A&M) has a great business and pharmacyprogram.
Yes it is fun because you see alot of familiar faces but its not the real world where you see just people of color so in a sense i wish it was a tad morediverse
Depends on if you are in state it took me two years to get in state tuition and that was chump change really just basically once i got that.
I was lead there on a baseball scholarship to hbcus howard and also famu so thats what pushed me to go to one more because they recruited me. I say take atour of the campus to get a feel for it and go from there.

I was and still am considering transferring to one of this schools. Even though it is like a downgrade lol, going from a 1st tier to 2nd - 4th tiers.

--- i have looked at Howard since it is practically 20 minutes from my house, and it looks great. They have a good business school aswell as Law. As far asranking goes I know it is in Top 100.

-- Hampton is Wack

--- I have family that goes to Spelman down in GA, and they put in good words for the school.

--another one that was close to home was Bowie State University -- I don't know much about this school. ANY INFO???????????? someone drop some knowledge.

i went to jackson state and it was the best 4 yrs of my life. if you want the best of both world go to an HBCU for undergrad and go to a bigger school for gradschool.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

the OP just likes to start controversial topics, especially about race, so he can look at his "replied" stats and get a boner at the fact he started that topic. It's proven.

word? what was the last "controversial" topic i made?
i never knew a topic about higher education could be so "controversial"

diligence has nothing to do with GPA's. like i said before ill put my school up against any "top tier" school. i wouldnt shoot down Howard juscus of some scores.

diligence has nothing to do with GPA's. like i said before ill put my school up against any "top tier" school. i wouldnt shoot down Howard jus
cus of some scores.

What's your school? I was looking at Howard and I wouldn't have minded at all being around mostly black students.
It would be refreshing considering I'm usually the only black in my class these days. I didn't choose Howard because
they didn't specialize in engineering. Not taking anything away from them, they kick major %%# in business.

To the OP, if you looking at Howard, I'd say go visit if you can. You'd learn more than you ever could from a website and hearsay.

Well, I attend Southern University in Baton Rouge, La and i can honestly say that my tenure thus far has been, intresting. I have learned a lot concering life,hype, culture, and just about everything there is to know concerning the "real world"..I value my education, and I do not take for granted, beingeducated at a black institution. Socially, there is no comparison, with other schools. From Women, to frat parties, to Mixing wit different people fromdifferent places, similar to standard institutions, but Just a bit different because 90% of the student body can relate to you in some way. My freshman year Iwent to school in Upstate NY, so the transition to Louisiana was difficult at first, but eventually I assimilated to my evironment and began to love it. Also,the school is cool because i can honestly say that i have a personal relationship with all of my professors, as well as the dean of the school of business,chancellor, and the vice pres. So, IMO i would say that HBCU's are the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom