Official HDTV and HD Thread! Vol: 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i

Question:

I was thinking about purchasing either a monitor or a T.V that supports 1080p. I think a lot of the 24+ inch monitors support 1080p and I've seen a few 32inch HDTV's that support 1080p as well.

What would be the better choice if I'm using it for both computer and television purposes?

Originally Posted by Jewelz3jd

I have a 52 in Sony XBR4. I love it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to set up picture in picture. I can't do it with two different cable channels. Say I want to watch ESPN HD and HBO HD. I can't. I can watch a cable channel and have my 360 in onother window. Does anyone know if it is possible with the two cable channels. I have comcast. Please help.

I can't get no love on this?

Why do some BluRay movies I play in my PS3 I still get in letterbox format? I have a Samsung 32" LCD. Shouldn't the picture fit the 16:9 ratio screen?

^^^^
you can't....unless you get two seperate cable boxes....think about it this way....pip basically is taking two SOURCES and playing them together....inorder to play two different channels it would have to be done on the box and then output to the TV. The only way you can do something like that is if you havean antenna as well as your cable box and then having one channel on 3 and then another pip set to a local channel from the antenna feed and i dont even kno ifthat's possible. write a complaint to comcast and see if they have any plans to come out with a box that can do that feature tho. i'm sure it's inthe works.

For all those looking to buy a Vizio, it is not worth it anymore. They are crap, and nowadays you can get the same size in a Samsung/Sony/LG for 100-200 moreand get a noticable difference in picture.

32" Vizio - $629
32" Samsung/Sony -$699

42" Vizio - $999-1199
42" Samsung/Sony - $1199

For $70-$200..ill take the better TV anyday

I am looking to buy a TV by the end of the summer for my college apartment. I am going to be playing 360 and PS3(roommate has one) so I need something withplenty of HDMI ports and I just want something nice for the College Football season. I am looking for probably a 42" but willing to go to a 37" forthe right TV. I am looking to spend no more than 1200 and want it to be a 1080p set. I was looking at the new Vizio VO series and it received decent reviewsbut then other people just $!+$ on Vizio as a brand. Where are all the Sony/Samsung TVs that are 1080p and cost less than 1200?

^^^ Those are some very expensive 32", for a little bit more a 42" could be had. I ain't talking about a vizio either. Samsungs, Toshibas andsome Sony's. I'd def look around before buying a 32 inch for $1000+, Sears had a 40 inch samsung that does 1080p for 1,100. My boy got a 42"Panasonic Viesta Plasma 1080p for 1200 just like 4 months ago. Patience and research is definiitely key. Go to www.avsforum.com and go on the LCD flat panelboards or on their plasma board. What do you want to get anyway? Plasma or LCD?

Those are some very expensive 32", for a little bit more a 42" could be had.
Those are 40" he posted on the site.

What do people think of the Samsung - LN-T4061F. Seems like a pretty good deal on that site.

Originally Posted by Airjordans23and45

why is everyone rushing out 2 get a 1080p when 1080 wont be here within the next year u will start seeing a lot of 4096p pretty soon.
oh and just 2 let anyone know 480p and 480i is not hd its e.d just get a 720

What are you talking about? 1080 been here for HDTV, and 1080p is available with hd-dvd and blu ray. As for buying 720, I've read that it comes downto size and viewing distance; some 720 sets compare to 1080 sets up to around 50". 50 and up, I'd definitely recommend going 1080

Jewelz3jd, it depends on the TV. Some sets won't allow pip from 2 component/hd inputs. Does your set have CableCard? You could have both a CableCardand a cable box and it may work. The DVR box my cable company uses is by Scientific Atlanta and pip is built into the box, so even if the TV doesn't havepip feature, the box takes care of that.

I am wanting to get a 1080i t.v. It will be primarily for PS3. Also, it is going to be an olevia or a westinghouse, I have heard that ps3 only broadcastsin 720p. The size of the t.v. is going to be a 42 inch. So, does anything above 720p even matter for the Ps3, please give me any pros or cons about this,thanks in advance.

Yeah oops when I first saw the 32 for 1019 I was like whhaaat? But yeah I was looking into the LN-T4061F but I couldn't find one beforehand. Samsung panelsare generally good so it wouldn't be a bad choice.

i mean nothings wrong with 1080p. i'm saying for people that dont have a gaming system or a blu-ray dvd player 720p/1080i works best for hd programs. plusu will never see programs ever in 1080p it wont happen.

lynchpin33 i think 720p/1080i is good enough for ur ps3. reason why i say that is most ps3 games only support 720p. some dont even support 1080i. somedevelopers r having trouble making games on the blu-ray format.

flash stop buggin' you got that old joint tube tv 16" black and white joint...you play halo with s-video cables through a VCR...

smh frontin' like you upgraging...

lol

Originally Posted by copped

flash stop buggin' you got that old joint tube tv 16" black and white joint...you play halo with s-video cables through a VCR...

smh frontin' like you upgraging...

lol

laugh.gif
damn you got me... thats why its time to upgrade
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

I have a 26 inch Samsung, I have no complaints with it. Problem is, I am moving, and my new room is HUGE. O I am looking into getting a tv from 40 inches to 50 inches. I am not sure which to get, and LCD or a Plasma. Can anyone tell me the best options for what I need/want?

~I am only a casual gamer, do not play all the time. But there are spurts I go on when a new video game comes out, I play it every second I can get. So is Burn in really an issue for plasmas?
~I watch A LOT of tv. My tv is on almost all day. And it gets hot in San Diego during some months, especially the summer. So is there really that much of a difference between Plasmas and LCD's when it comes to giving off heat?
~I watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Blu-rays especially.
~As far as lighting is concerned, I heard Plasmas do better in darker environments and LCDs do better in lighter environments. This isn't much of an issue, but was wondering if it was true.
~I do not really have a budget. But I dont want anything over 2,500. Plus My friend is letting me use his Best Buy discount for a tv since he stole one from them already
laugh.gif

I heard the Samsung LN46A650 is a good tv. Any other suggestions would be real helpful. Oh and I heard hdtv were going down in price this summer, any truth to that?

most def go with the samsung 650 or 750 series. try amazon for cheaper prices. I have been to several stores to compare that and the xbr5's even workers have suggested the samsung. the picture is beautiful the 40inch is on amazon (650) for like 15 and i think the 750 is like 17 or 18....

here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung+ln40a650

THanks alot. I am looking to be buying in July, do you think the tv will still be readily available or drop in price at all?
The tv will most def be available. As far as a price drop...they might shave of another 100 by july but i highly doubt it. thats a pretty awesomeprice. considering stores like best buy and circuit city just got them in store about a month and a half ago. In store they are 2g's easily. So go withamazon and save u 5-600 bucks. plus you get free white glove delivery. You really cant beat that. I can't wait. I was suppose to get mine a month ago. Butmy pops told me to wait until around this time because of price drops. And I am so glad I did. Im copping the 40inch 750 in july as well when I get back fromCali. good luck dude. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Originally Posted by Airjordans23and45

lynchpin33 i think 720p/1080i is good enough for ur ps3. reason why i say that is most ps3 games only support 720p. some dont even support 1080i. some developers r having trouble making games on the blu-ray format.
actually...just to clarify this a bit... blu-ray is the medium of storage for PS3 games as well as other media (HD content)... there really isn't a'blu-ray format' for the games... to my understanding, game developers were initially having trouble getting the most out of the PS3 hardware... but aswe've seen with Gran Turismo 5P and the upcoming Metal Gear 4 (both of which are native 1080p, I think), game programmers are gradually adopting todeveloping games for the PS3...

man, all I know is, they've yet to make a game that's true 1080 most everything is scaled up from 640/720, etc. We've got a 1080i PhillipsAmbilight Plasma, and I run bluray, 360, and all that jazz on it, and it looks great... my only problem original when i got it is I didn't own a upconv dvdplayer and everything looked like *!%*...

I have a 26 inch Samsung, I have no complaints with it. Problem is, I am moving, and my new room is HUGE. O I am looking into getting a tv from 40 inches to 50 inches. I am not sure which to get, and LCD or a Plasma. Can anyone tell me the best options for what I need/want?

~I am only a casual gamer, do not play all the time. But there are spurts I go on when a new video game comes out, I play it every second I can get. So is Burn in really an issue for plasmas?
~I watch A LOT of tv. My tv is on almost all day. And it gets hot in San Diego during some months, especially the summer. So is there really that much of a difference between Plasmas and LCD's when it comes to giving off heat?
~I watch a lot of sports and a lot of movies. Blu-rays especially.
~As far as lighting is concerned, I heard Plasmas do better in darker environments and LCDs do better in lighter environments. This isn't much of an issue, but was wondering if it was true.
~I do not really have a budget. But I dont want anything over 2,500. Plus My friend is letting me use his Best Buy discount for a tv since he stole one from them already
laugh.gif

I heard the Samsung LN46A650 is a good tv. Any other suggestions would be real helpful. Oh and I heard hdtv were going down in price this summer, any truth to that?

most def go with the samsung 650 or 750 series. try amazon for cheaper prices. I have been to several stores to compare that and the xbr5's even workers have suggested the samsung. the picture is beautiful the 40inch is on amazon (650) for like 15 and i think the 750 is like 17 or 18....

here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung+ln40a650

THanks alot. I am looking to be buying in July, do you think the tv will still be readily available or drop in price at all?
The tv will most def be available. As far as a price drop...they might shave of another 100 by july but i highly doubt it. thats a pretty awesome price. considering stores like best buy and circuit city just got them in store about a month and a half ago. In store they are 2g's easily. So go with amazon and save u 5-600 bucks. plus you get free white glove delivery. You really cant beat that. I can't wait. I was suppose to get mine a month ago. But my pops told me to wait until around this time because of price drops. And I am so glad I did. Im copping the 40inch 750 in july as well when I get back from Cali. good luck dude. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thank for the info. I want to get it from Best Buy because my friend is going give me his discount there. Depending on what his discount is, I willdecide whether to buy from Amazon or not. Does Amazon have warranties?

Back
Top Bottom