+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

These brands ain't replacing no labels G.

Not . Gonna.  Happen.

They work hand in hand any way..

So whats the need to replace them?.

Yeah, only a small number of artist have that clout.

Em, Kanye, Beyonce...

And like with Rick Ross and Reebok, they might not necessarily want to be identified with them from a company stand point in case anything happens.

50 might try it if he can ever get this last Interscope album out.

It gives the bigger artist more leverage against the labels, because it's another avenue and they're already suffering.

Without major artists...what are labels really?

You really think DefJam looks at a guy like Trinidad James and says "who needs Jay-Z"?

You think if Em, Dre, 50, TDE, Black Eyed Peas, Gaga, etc. start doing album projects with big business corps...they feel comfortable with Chief Keef as a flagship artist?

This DEFINITELY threatens the way record labels have traditionally done business.

Gunplay can REALLY rap tho.. 

Jay-Z don't really have much content as you think he does , he's no different from alot rappers with limited content.. he really be talking about the same ****  over and over , but he's Jay-Z .. He's in position where he can say so much more. he could be on some more thought provoking ****  ..

but .. well... nvm , forgot what thread I was in.

Your opinion is your opinion.... i just want to know since Jay is vastly limited in his content than who exactly is rapping as well as he is and has all of this content?

what else do you want the man to rap about exactly.... Family, Drug dealing, Kids, Pressure of Fame, Religion, america Lying about it's history, his wife, A bunch of rich ***** ****, all on this album all after almost 20 years of doing music, and lyrically better than 98% of rappers out today.

So once again what do you hear from any of these other artist that is oh so life changing and relevant. I've heard a total of about 15 Gunplay tracks and he's had the same subject matter, flow, and similar beats on about ten of them. Hell I've seen you praise Rick Ross and you want to have a discussion about content & thought provoking ****?

The thing that's crazy about this whole argument is cats saying that Lyrically ain't there so Who's spittin then... I need names cuz a ***** ain't about to tell me that Jay was average lyrically & had no content on this album and then in the same breath tell me drake about to shutdown the summer.

If this is average lyrically who's really rapping well..... unless by being average lyrically you mean he isn't putting up verses on par with some of the best albums of the past 20 years.

The inconsistency on this website is crazy.... This average but ****** hear a gunplay verse and act as if it's Tupac reincarnated, Hear a Ridiculous Lupe Verse say it's trash, but hype up a Drake verse....
mean.gif
Gunplay can REALLY rap tho.. 

Jay-Z don't really have much content as you think he does , he's no different from alot rappers with limited content.. he really be talking about the same ****  over and over , but he's Jay-Z .. He's in position where he can say so much more. he could be on some more thought provoking ****  ..

but .. well... nvm , forgot what thread I was in.
What does that even mean? Why should he have to change what he wants to rap about, its his music after all. The guy wants to rap about his life and the issues hes dealing with, and within that does a pretty good job of being diverse in terms of subject matter. To say he can "do so much more" is basically you saying that you think he should be rapping about XYZ and who are we to make that suggestion? Thats a very unrelasitic expectation. Lets extrapolate that for a second, guess every rapper thats "in a position to do more" should just be rapping about things that are "thought provoking". How is that fair? People have a choice to say what they please.

You really think DefJam looks at a guy like Trinidad James and says "who needs Jay-Z"?

You think if Em, Dre, 50, TDE, Black Eyed Peas, Gaga, etc. start doing album projects with big business corps...they feel comfortable with Chief Keef as a flagship artist?

This DEFINITELY threatens the way record labels have traditionally done business.

I understand where you coming from , but labels have and always will adapt ..

Besides isn't Jay under Multi album deal anyway with Live Nation?

Like I said it's hand in hand.

I don't like none of it tho personally for the very reasons you mentioned.

What does that even mean? Why should he have to change what he wants to rap about, its his music after all. The guy wants to rap about his life and the issues hes dealing with, and within that does a pretty good job of being diverse in terms of subject matter. To say he can "do so much more" is basically you saying that you think he should be rapping about XYZ and who are we to make that suggestion? Thats a very unrelasitic expectation. Lets extrapolate that for a second, guess every rapper thats "in a position to do more" should just be rapping about things that are "thought provoking". How is that fair? People have a choice to say what they please.
Instead of rapping about how he takes trips all over the world , why not speak out on the violence in the Chi?

Youngins would listen to him more then they would sucka *** Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

A ***** can rap about whatever .. I'm just speaking on how he's no different from any other rapper you ****** complain about rapping the same ****.

He just happen to be Jay-Z.

***** is a Global Icon ... so.  Yea he could do more. People look up to him.

And hell yea every rapper is in a position to do more. Least every major rapper.

Exactly If anything this free's artist to really make the music they want to make, It's essentially getting major label promotion w/o having major label rules. Samsung doesn't give a **** what Record Jay-z puts out or how the songs do on the charts.... all they see is the promotion and attention Jay-Z brings to the brand.

Hell Mountain dew has been kind of ahead of the curve in this and is why i don't necessarily think you have to be a giant artist to pull this off ( Obviously everyone isn't going to see 8 figure checks)

Remember they endorsed Mac Miller Prior to the first album
Gave Jay ****** electronica a commercial

The fact of the matter is although these artist aren't selling millions, they still have millions of song plays, millions of video plays which means an opportunity to have millions of peoples eyes on your produce especially if you want that product delivered to a specific demographic.

Your opinion is your opinion.... i just want to know since Jay is vastly limited in his content than who exactly is rapping as well as he is and has all of this content?

what else do you want the man to rap about exactly.... Family, Drug dealing, Kids, Pressure of Fame, Religion, america Lying about it's history, his wife, A bunch of rich ***** ****, all on this album all after almost 20 years of doing music, and lyrically better than 98% of rappers out today.

So once again what do you hear from any of these other artist that is oh so life changing and relevant. I've heard a total of about 15 Gunplay tracks and he's had the same subject matter, flow, and similar beats on about ten of them. Hell I've seen you praise Rick Ross and you want to have a discussion about content & thought provoking ****?
TDE.

When the last time you seen me talk about Ross?

and most times you seen me talk about him we wasn't even talking about music.

And that ***** Limited as **** too.

And Gunplay got a songs where he talk abut his own struggles and inner demons ..

But you only listened to 15 songs tho ...

I just stated my opinion

But I'm not tryna derail or start **** in ya'll thread .. I know where I'm at.

I'm don't have the time nor energy to go there with you ****** 
laugh.gif

Instead of rapping about how he takes trips all over the world , why not speak out on the violence in the Chi?

Youngins would listen to him more then they would sucka *** Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

A ***** can rap about whatever .. I'm just speaking on how he's no different from any other rapper you ****** complain about rapping the same ****.

He just happen to be Jay-Z.

***** is a Global Icon ... so.  Yea he could do more. People look up to him.

And hell yea every rapper is in a position to do more. Least every major rapper.
That's an unfair request to make of them in my opinion, but I can respect it and the fact that you hold all rappers to that standard.

The thing that's crazy about this whole argument is cats saying that Lyrically ain't there so Who's spittin then... I need names cuz a ***** ain't about to tell me that Jay was average lyrically & had no content on this album and then in the same breath tell me drake about to shutdown the summer.
If you're referring to me then my post earlier escaped you. I'm not a Drake fan. IMO he primarily makes music for suburban females, and I can't relate to most of the stuff he talks about because it's so contrived given his background. His last album was ehh imo and I don't expect his next one to be much better..

But the hype from whatever he puts out will overshadow this album and anything else that came out this year. The masses will forget about MGHC once Drake drops. I just saw recently that Take Care did 2 mil. That's ridiculous in this day and age, I didn't even realize how huge dude's buzz is

If Jay put out a 'GKMC'-level album it would be seen as timeless, nobody would be questioning it or comparing him to other artists. But the type of album he made was in Drake's lane.. ie commercial rap with hot production and great (but not mindblowing) lyricism. Drake has that lane on lock right now, there's no more room at the top. Just watch, when he drops a single the masses are gonna be like "Magna what? Nah we're on that new Drake single feat Ross/Nicki Minaj/Future".. Basically Hov set himself up to be overshadowed by an inferior artist. For the record I've stated in here multiple times that I like MGHC but it is what it is - a great but not timeless commercial rap album. I don't see myself playing this album that much after its "moment" is over, and just my opinion but I think the masses will respond the same way.

And you ask who's spitting right now? Kendrick is spitting bruh. I don't know why Jay didn't scrap this whole project and start over after GKMC came out. He should have felt some type of way that a rookie is coming in the game making better music than him.

Last edited:
That's an unfair request to make of them in my opinion, but I can respect it and the fact that you hold all rappers to that standard.
It's not unfair and I hold all people to that standard..

I hold MYSELF to that.

If I'm in a position to help some one , then I will.

ESP. If I'm rich.

But we live in a world where folks are out for self ..

Jay is a prime example of that.

Alot of these famous dudes are prime examples ..

**** not unfair. Not unfair at all.

You in position to give back to community that raised you. Yet you build an Arena.

Why not build some rec centers? some pools?

Last edited:
TDE.

When the last time you seen me talk about Ross?

and most times you seen me talk about him we wasn't even talking about music.

And that ***** Limited as **** too.

And Gunplay got a songs where he talk abut his own struggles and inner demons ..

But you only listened to 15 songs tho ...

I just stated my opinion

But I'm not tryna derail or start **** in ya'll thread .. I know where I'm at.

I'm don't have the time nor energy to go there with you ****** 
laugh.gif

So you named me one group out of thousands of rappers who have in your opinion a diverse content. I'm a fan of TDE and agree tha they also have good content however it's nothing NEW about what they're saying its the same **** coming from a different point of view, age range, coast etc etc....

Good Kid Mad City broken down to it's simplest form.....is essentially a album about a child growing up in the ghetto and dealing with the harsh realities of it. His Story in General is no different from Nas, No different From Jays, No different from 70% of rappers ever.

I think the problem people have with Jays content isn't that it lacks depth.... It's that he's been rapping for 20 years and people aren't tired of hearing the main story, just the story from his POV. Which is something that disgust me about hiphop because no other genre limits their artist like that.

So you named me one group out of thousands of rappers who have in your opinion a diverse content. I'm a fan of TDE and agree tha they also have good content however it's nothing NEW about what they're saying its the same **** coming from a different point of view, age range, coast etc etc....

Good Kid Mad City broken down to it's simplest form.....is essentially a album about a child growing up in the ghetto and dealing with the harsh realities of it. His Story in General is no different from Nas, No different From Jays, No different from 70% of rappers ever.

I think the problem people have with Jays content isn't that it lacks depth.... It's that he's been rapping for 20 years and people aren't tired of hearing the main story, just the story from his POV. Which is something that disgust me about hiphop because no other genre limits their artist like that.
YOU got it man..

Labels aren't obsolete, because they have too much power and money to go away.

They'll adapt, like the 360 deal. In some ways it's easier, because the end of the CD gives them more money.

If you're an established artist like a Jay-Z, U2 or Madonna, you have leverage, but any new artist will be under them. Someone like Mac Miller or Macklemore, while possible, will be hard to do, because of the relationship with radio and record labels. They'll probably make more barriers because they succeeded.

Remember how satellite and then internet radio was supposed to end radio?

One more time there's nothing new about these #NewRules

Grateful Dead used similar tactics in the 70s...Prince did bundling in the 80s...just last year Papa John's bundled Taylor Swifts album

And also the music industry isn't suffering it's just rap & r&b that's falling off as far as revenue goes. So you would need more creative means to market for the low to raise profits

but who else in the genre can pull this off other than Jay and maybe Kanye?

All I'm saying is don't expect this to be the "new thing" Jay-Z is just the billion dollar brand that happens to be "indie"

These large brands are not going to risk their billion dollar asset to promote controversial music. Samsung & Jay is a unique situation

Last edited:
You dont need radio & you need a label...

Labels have been consolidating for years..da writing

Is on da wall for em.

Labels aren't obsolete, because they have too much power and money to go away.

They'll adapt, like the 360 deal. In some ways it's easier, because the end of the CD gives them more money.

If you're an established artist like a Jay-Z, U2 or Madonna, you have leverage, but any new artist will be under them. Someone like Mac Miller or Macklemore, while possible, will be hard to do, because of the relationship with radio and record labels. They'll probably make more barriers because they succeeded.

Remember how satellite and then internet radio was supposed to end radio?

while i do believe records labels should collapse... these huge media conglomerates that operate them won't let them completely fall because too much power and money would have to be given up.

with that said with all these different avenues to get your music heard and build a fanbase Record labels or radio play isn't really needed. The ARTIST draws the interest so therefore they have all the control. It's easier than ever for a kid to grab a free beat, shoot a HQ video for under a G, and gets people to like his music.

from there you now have people who will pay to see your show and in return help you become more and more noticed and widen your fanbase.

"question religion, question it all; question existence until the question is solved" :x
hovacrates

Last edited:
You dont need radio & you need a label...

Labels have been consolidating for years..da writing

Is on da wall for em.

Consolidation doesn't mean a industry is suffering

That means it's survival of the fittest.

Why should Universal or Warner have 20 subsidiary labels who do practically the same thing? And Universal isn't shutting down their music division any time soon. There's still a big four majors behind the scenes calling shots.

You don't think Amazon, Google or Apple aren't going to listen to them? They need each other. They're so much bigger than just music, so they have a lot more power and clout.

And yes, you need the radio, in addition to it being another source of money. Radio is how you get nationwide, which gets you tours.

Consolidation doesn't mean a industry is suffering

That means it's survival of the fittest.

Why should Universal or Warner have 20 subsidiary labels who do practically the same thing? And Universal isn't shutting down their music division any time soon. There's still a big four majors behind the scenes calling shots.

You don't think Amazon, Google or Apple aren't going to listen to them? They need each other. They're so much bigger than just music, so they have a lot more power and clout.

And yes, you need the radio, in addition to it being another source of money. Radio is how you get nationwide, which gets you tours.
You need radio if you're not Jay , Kanye, Beyonce etc etc.

Top Tier Artist 

Back
Top Bottom