Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Jeremy Lin, Micheal Jordan, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook are relatively tall individuals.

Behold, I put Jeremy Lin in the same sentence as MJ. Sacrilege, I have committed....

The comparison has more to do with D'Antoni and Amar'e than anything else. And the way he plays the game is very similar to the guy that those two people had a ton of success working with.

The comparison has more to do with D'Antoni and Amar'e than anything else. And the way he plays the game is very similar to the guy that those two people had a ton of success working with.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Because Steve Nash isn't the only person who plays like Steve Nash. But nobody wants to compare him to _______ (insert any NBA PG ever who plays like Steve Nash but doesn't have back-to-back MVPs, or any major accomplishment, other than just being an NBA PG).

When it comes to comparisons, people don't just throw out names like Michael Jordan and Steve Nash and Lebron James and Dan Marino and Jerry Rice simply because the person resembles the superstar, and that's it.

Come on, you guys know this.
laugh.gif
It's the wow factor of drawing a comparison between the style of play and as accomplished a 'model' as possible. That's exactly why no one ever compares people to Rod Strickland or Steve Smith or Jim Kelly. If there were a player that played like one of those three, that would be high praise to be compared to any 1 of those 3, but they don't have championships and records and all kinds of MVPs and everything you get when you name a John Stockton or Larry Bird for Brett Favre or something.

Exactly, and to make it worse, they pick somebody of such huge stature for their comparison, then add something i.e "he plays like Steve Nash, except he plays defense too," and you're like "aw hell nah! now 2x mvp is the starting point PLUS something!"

It's both lazy and done intentionally to invoke the greatness of the person you are comparing them to and assume they're on that same level, otherwise Brevin Knight probes the defense and find the open man, Ricky Rubio does too, but those comparisons wouldn't be nearly as sensationalist.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Because Steve Nash isn't the only person who plays like Steve Nash. But nobody wants to compare him to _______ (insert any NBA PG ever who plays like Steve Nash but doesn't have back-to-back MVPs, or any major accomplishment, other than just being an NBA PG).

When it comes to comparisons, people don't just throw out names like Michael Jordan and Steve Nash and Lebron James and Dan Marino and Jerry Rice simply because the person resembles the superstar, and that's it.

Come on, you guys know this.
laugh.gif
It's the wow factor of drawing a comparison between the style of play and as accomplished a 'model' as possible. That's exactly why no one ever compares people to Rod Strickland or Steve Smith or Jim Kelly. If there were a player that played like one of those three, that would be high praise to be compared to any 1 of those 3, but they don't have championships and records and all kinds of MVPs and everything you get when you name a John Stockton or Larry Bird for Brett Favre or something.

Exactly, and to make it worse, they pick somebody of such huge stature for their comparison, then add something i.e "he plays like Steve Nash, except he plays defense too," and you're like "aw hell nah! now 2x mvp is the starting point PLUS something!"

It's both lazy and done intentionally to invoke the greatness of the person you are comparing them to and assume they're on that same level, otherwise Brevin Knight probes the defense and find the open man, Ricky Rubio does too, but those comparisons wouldn't be nearly as sensationalist.

Those comparisons are valid too...but the reason Nash is brought up is because the head coach is Mike D'Antoni and the PF is Amar'e Stoudemire. It's not about saying Lin is on the same level of Nash. That's plain absurd.

The point is that all season we've been looking for someone who can play the position correctly in this system. Steve Nash is the example of executing Mike D'Antoni's offense perfectly. These last few games have been pretty damn similar.

If I wanted to just troll and pretend Lin was going to be one of the greatest PGs ever, I'd just make the Stockton comparison again.
laugh.gif

That's my perspective on it. Y'all don't have to accept it.

Those comparisons are valid too...but the reason Nash is brought up is because the head coach is Mike D'Antoni and the PF is Amar'e Stoudemire. It's not about saying Lin is on the same level of Nash. That's plain absurd.

The point is that all season we've been looking for someone who can play the position correctly in this system. Steve Nash is the example of executing Mike D'Antoni's offense perfectly. These last few games have been pretty damn similar.

If I wanted to just troll and pretend Lin was going to be one of the greatest PGs ever, I'd just make the Stockton comparison again.
laugh.gif

That's my perspective on it. Y'all don't have to accept it.

STRICTLY on the SPECIFIC example of positing that the Knicks could at least be marginally successful like the last time D'Antoni and Amare were paired with a legit PG, I definitely see your point.

But overall, I'm just not a comparisons person, for reasons already explained by myself and Scientific.

I seriously roll my eyes almost every time I hear an analyst throw out a comparison to a superstar, or one of the best.

I deplore comparisons, and I wouldn't find comparisons as deplorable if there were more people out there making comparisons to guys like Shane Battier, José Calderon, Kendall Gill. Why does it have to be the best of the best?
laugh.gif

I'll tell you someone who makes comparisons every once in a while that aren't over sensationalized: Hubie Brown. I've heard him make comparisons to guys like Antonio Davis or Marc Jackson.

STRICTLY on the SPECIFIC example of positing that the Knicks could at least be marginally successful like the last time D'Antoni and Amare were paired with a legit PG, I definitely see your point.

But overall, I'm just not a comparisons person, for reasons already explained by myself and Scientific.

I seriously roll my eyes almost every time I hear an analyst throw out a comparison to a superstar, or one of the best.

I deplore comparisons, and I wouldn't find comparisons as deplorable if there were more people out there making comparisons to guys like Shane Battier, José Calderon, Kendall Gill. Why does it have to be the best of the best?
laugh.gif

I'll tell you someone who makes comparisons every once in a while that aren't over sensationalized: Hubie Brown. I've heard him make comparisons to guys like Antonio Davis or Marc Jackson.

nothing wrong with a mix of comparisons....
it's been said JL even compared himself to Dragic....Chandler has said Barea.....but the minute anyone starts comparing him to established allstar level players, some people raise a ruckus because of the perception you are elevating JL to Allstar status. not yet, but I think he has potential to get there.�

for the record, JL has said he grew up with MJ as his favorite player...(no this does not mean that he's comparing himself to MJ), but I would imagine he would try to pattern some of his game after MJ, if he's your favorite player even if it's not the skillset or actual goto moves. It could be toughness, concentration (he does get a lot of and1 opportunities). or competitive nature that he saw in MJ that he knew had to be part of his game to succeed.

highlights of the Boston game, game right before Linsanity. Pre-Linsanity

it's been said JL even compared himself to Dragic....Chandler has said Barea.....but the minute anyone starts comparing him to established allstar level players, some people raise a ruckus because of the perception you are elevating JL to Allstar status. not yet, but I think he has potential to get there.�

for the record, JL has said he grew up with MJ as his favorite player...(no this does not mean that he's comparing himself to MJ), but I would imagine he would try to pattern some of his game after MJ, if he's your favorite player even if it's not the skillset or actual goto moves. It could be toughness, concentration (he does get a lot of and1 opportunities). or competitive nature that he saw in MJ that he knew had to be part of his game to succeed.

^yo thanks for that video man. it's surreal watching that, knowing that a week later so many lives would be changed forever. (lin's rise, amare's brother, mike's job, knicks 5 game win streak). humble beginnings.

when I watch him in those 7 minutes, i just felt like "boy you don't even know what you're about to get yourself into" 
laugh.gif

^yo thanks for that video man. it's surreal watching that, knowing that a week later so many lives would be changed forever. (lin's rise, amare's brother, mike's job, knicks 5 game win streak). humble beginnings.

when I watch him in those 7 minutes, i just felt like "boy you don't even know what you're about to get yourself into" 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dyyhard

I was at that Celtics game and thought Lin wasn't going to do anything for the Knicks lol. Little did I know...

Originally Posted by dyyhard

I was at that Celtics game and thought Lin wasn't going to do anything for the Knicks lol. Little did I know...

[h1]Knicks' Jeremy Lin visits Hamilton College to watch brother play basketball[/h1][h3]By ANDREW DONOVAN
[/h3]
Story Created: Feb 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM EST

[url=http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Knicks-Jeremy-Lin-visits-Hamilton-College-to-watch-brother-play-basketball-139194274.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]http://www.wktv.com/news/...d&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

Story Updated: Feb 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM EST 

[table][tr][td]
97faa00032f9a6906373a58613e435081402f8e2.jpg

[/td][/tr][/table]

CLINTON, N.Y. (WKTV) - "Linsanity" spread to Central New York Sunday as Jeremy Lin, a guard for the New York Knicks, made a visit to Hamilton College, where his brother Joseph is a freshman player of the Continental's Basketball team.

The junior Lin is a freshman backup point guard for Hamilton. Their last home game was Sunday, so older brother Jeremy took in the action for himself.

The Continentals beat Bates College on Sunday, 72-62.

At Hamilton, Lin averages about 16.5 minutes of play time and has .406 field goal percentage.

“From a basketball perspective, he’s probably one of our most complete basketball players. He has a great court sense, a great feel. He’s very good at running ball screens. He’s our best passer," said head coach Adam Stockwell in an interview to media outlets.

Both Lins were not available for an interview Sunday.

[h1]Knicks' Jeremy Lin visits Hamilton College to watch brother play basketball[/h1][h3]By ANDREW DONOVAN
[/h3]
Story Created: Feb 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM EST

[url=http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Knicks-Jeremy-Lin-visits-Hamilton-College-to-watch-brother-play-basketball-139194274.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]http://www.wktv.com/news/...d&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

Story Updated: Feb 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM EST 

[table][tr][td]
97faa00032f9a6906373a58613e435081402f8e2.jpg

[/td][/tr][/table]

CLINTON, N.Y. (WKTV) - "Linsanity" spread to Central New York Sunday as Jeremy Lin, a guard for the New York Knicks, made a visit to Hamilton College, where his brother Joseph is a freshman player of the Continental's Basketball team.

The junior Lin is a freshman backup point guard for Hamilton. Their last home game was Sunday, so older brother Jeremy took in the action for himself.

The Continentals beat Bates College on Sunday, 72-62.

At Hamilton, Lin averages about 16.5 minutes of play time and has .406 field goal percentage.

“From a basketball perspective, he’s probably one of our most complete basketball players. He has a great court sense, a great feel. He’s very good at running ball screens. He’s our best passer," said head coach Adam Stockwell in an interview to media outlets.

Both Lins were not available for an interview Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom