OFFICIAL Minnesota T-Wolves Offseason thread

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

^ you sound mad.

And I didnt realize you knew the ins and outs of the Rubio situation. You gonna be more mad if he suits up this year or next? Cause the team will wait.....especially for an 18 year old.

Personally I shy away from the "let's put our final thoughts and statements on the draft one month after it completes." Because that has never, and will never, work in pro sports. You know nothing, I know nothing, and the GMs themselves know nothing.

If he doesnt end up playing for MN oh well, every team in the NBA at that spot would have taken him. And he'll be traded for more pieces.
Sorry buddy I am far from Mad, so dont speak for Me. I like Rubio, It would have made more sense in going with Curry so your new backcourt growsup together. If you think waiting a year or two is more logical than thats just not smart. If the Wolves are smart they take Mark Jackson as Coach. Oh and Iagree most teams would have taken him in that Draft but that doesnt mean he is willing to play for every team. Minnesota is a small market and most peoplecould careless in playing somewhere like that.

Sorry buddy I am far from Mad, so dont speak for Me. I like Rubio, It would have made more sense in going with Curry so your new backcourt grows up together. If you think waiting a year or two is more logical than thats just not smart. If the Wolves are smart they take Mark Jackson as Coach. Oh and I agree most teams would have taken him in that Draft but that doesnt mean he is willing to play for every team. Minnesota is a small market and most people could careless in playing somewhere like that.
1. If Rubio can get out of his contract he is coming to Minnesota. That's becoming more clear if you pay attention to anything that is notESPN.
2. Rubio is dying to get to the NBA.
3. If Rubio is a stud (and again, that is an "if") then waiting 1-2 years for him at 18 years old means nothing, and will mean nothing when heactually gets here.
4. We have no idea what would have made more sense for this TWolves team and we won't until 2-3 years down the road.

Sorry buddy I am far from Mad, so dont speak for Me. I like Rubio, It would have made more sense in going with Curry so your new backcourt grows up together. If you think waiting a year or two is more logical than thats just not smart. If the Wolves are smart they take Mark Jackson as Coach. Oh and I agree most teams would have taken him in that Draft but that doesnt mean he is willing to play for every team. Minnesota is a small market and most people could careless in playing somewhere like that.
1. If Rubio can get out of his contract he is coming to Minnesota. That's becoming more clear if you pay attention to anything that is not ESPN.
2. Rubio is dying to get to the NBA.
3. If Rubio is a stud (and again, that is an "if") then waiting 1-2 years for him at 18 years old means nothing, and will mean nothing when he actually gets here.
4. We have no idea what would have made more sense for this TWolves team and we won't until 2-3 years down the road.

People won't understand. They were saying the same $++% if he would've came to Memphis. I don't know when they going to realize that he's notTHAT much concerned to what city he's in. I also think waiting a year or two would be good because he's only 18. People won't understand thateither, but that's NT.

The only thing I disliked about the situation is that I would've liked to see a combination of Rubio/Derozan or Flynn/Derozan on draft night. Also, whetheror not the Twolves actually utilize the rights they hold on Rubio in the right way.

What happens if 2 years down the line Flynn is Averaging 18 and 10, you are really going to justify moving him to SG? That's the problem, once Flynn gets afoothold in that position he's not letting go. He might as well be a rookie again next year learning to play a new position.

Heck we all WISH we're at that point two years from now with Flynn. If he's averaging those numbers (with Rubio still in Spain) and lookin like a starin the making then the Wolves simply look to deal Rubio. Despite what they say they arent moving Flynn to SG, especially if he shows he can get 9+ APG.

These are all assumptions though. Thats why despite the unconventional "let's take two PGs" way they did the draft I am still cool with it fornow. One of the two has to pan out. This team has taken so many L's in the draft, and has gone so many years w/o a true PG that if they thought both thesecats were top-flight PGs then go ahead and take em and let's see. The only other guy at that spot to me was Curry. They obviously decided to pass on himand we'll see if that gamble pays off. They think both these PGs are the goods. If they are then roll with it and worry about the rest later.

And once again, as a Wolves follower I have no problem at all if Rubio is not here on Day 1. It was a unique situation that could have a huge payout at theend, and this team as much as anyone has to take the best players available and build off that. Celtics had no problem drafting Bird early and waiting for himto get done with college. Spurs had no problem drafting Admiral even though they had to wait two years for him to be done with the Navy. Obviously u cantcompare Rubes to dudes like that but rather just talking about the situation. And even more benefit is the fact that so few 18 year olds are ready to playanyway.

flynn at the 2
roll.gif

Heck we all WISH we're at that point two years from now with Flynn. If he's averaging those numbers (with Rubio still in Spain) and lookin like a star in the making then the Wolves simply look to deal Rubio. Despite what they say they arent moving Flynn to SG, especially if he shows he can get 9+ APG.

These are all assumptions though. Thats why despite the unconventional "let's take two PGs" way they did the draft I am still cool with it for now. One of the two has to pan out. This team has taken so many L's in the draft, and has gone so many years w/o a true PG that if they thought both these cats were top-flight PGs then go ahead and take em and let's see. The only other guy at that spot to me was Curry. They obviously decided to pass on him and we'll see if that gamble pays off. They think both these PGs are the goods. If they are then roll with it and worry about the rest later.

And once again, as a Wolves follower I have no problem at all if Rubio is not here on Day 1. It was a unique situation that could have a huge payout at the end, and this team as much as anyone has to take the best players available and build off that. Celtics had no problem drafting Bird early and waiting for him to get done with college. Spurs had no problem drafting Admiral even though they had to wait two years for him to be done with the Navy. Obviously u cant compare Rubes to dudes like that but rather just talking about the situation. And even more benefit is the fact that so few 18 year olds are ready to play anyway.
where would your leverage be then?
paging bhz.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

flynn at the 2
roll.gif
My point is if you have a roster of young players it is best suited they ALL play ball together and Not Wait! Flynn/Curry or Flynn/DeRozan comingin together learning each others moves is more logical. Flynn @ SG in 2 yrs after playing PG his whole life is DUMB!
smh.gif

Another genius move by our beloved owner Glen Taylor....he's proposing that we take 20 more games off the air this coming season as a way to nudge (force)fans into attending the games
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Wolves Can't Limit Games On TV[/h1]Late Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz used to blackout every home date to get fans to go to the games at the old Chicago Stadium and the United Center when that arena was built in 1994.
Wirtz alienated most Blackhawks fans with this bizarre decision, and with the team losing, the Blackhawks became an afterthought in Chicago.

Apparently, Glen Taylor wants to copy that strategy from Wirtz with the idea he may get fans to the Target Center by limiting many home games on television this season.

The Wolves may not have a big TV contract to air every contest this season, but taking 20 games off the air makes no sense, especially if most of the home dates are not going to be aired.

In this economy, why would any fan, especially one with multiple family members, spend his or her money on game tickets? As much as fans like to see a rebuilding team, they would rather be watching it in their living rooms.

People spend their money to go to a game when their favorite team is contending for championships, not when it is mediocre or bad.

No one needs a business degree to figure this one out.

It would be much better for this franchise to promote itself through airing games on TV. The more viewers see them and the more they win, the more interest will come back.

Forcing fans to attend games to see a rebuilding team does not work. People are not going to go to a game even if the Wolves limit their TV coverage for home games. It's silly to even do this.

It's stunning that Taylor and his staff could consider this, especially in the midst of a recession.

The Timberwolves fanbase is not in the level of the Twins, Vikings and the Wild. For Pete's sake, there is more interest in Gophers men's basketball than the Wolves.

The Wolves are slowly getting their fans back with Kevin McHale's departure and David Kahn's proactive approach of improving the team. It should inspire ownership to keep the interest going instead of destroying it with this strategy.

Hopefully, someone will convince the Taylor to change his mind about taking out at least twenty games on the air this season.

Six or seven is fine, since this franchise does not air all games, but 20 is crazy.

The hope is that it's nothing more than a rumor.

If it's true, then Taylor is out of touch with his customers.

Link

If that's true... wow.

A slap in the face to all fans, especially those unable to afford tickets when the economy was not in the trash.

Ehhhhh.....terrible. But who knows the reasoning. Taylor has usually been pretty good with fans. I want to hear more cause you know there is going to bequestions.

The thing with the Wolves broadcasts is.....they are some of the worst ratings in the league. I could easily even see FSN saying they dont want to broadcastall of them anymore because it costs too much with too little viewers (hence the team agreeing to cutting games). It also came out last year that during aWolves/Hornets game there were 1,700 total people watching it in the Twin Cities market. That's not a misprint. They're not getting fans at the gatesand they are not getting people watching it on TV.

Now with that said this team HAS to get fans into the stadium. It is a ghost town. Media members were saying at times there were not even 3,000 people in thestands to start a lot of games. Something has to be done.....especially because while this team is more attractive now it also is in line to lose yet anotherpossibly 50-60 games. I feel sorry for this team's marketing staff, especially the ones who have been there for 6 years or so.

How about putting a quality team together that will win and turn things around that way? What an idea
eek.gif

If they put a team on the court that can win, people will come watch. It's that simple. But....I guess it's not that easy because the Timberwolveshaven't been relevant since 2003.

Report: Rambis near being named next Wolves coach

The Los Angeles Times said the Lakers assistant flew to meet with Wolves officials again, "a strong sign" he will replace Kevin McHale.

Seven weeks after Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale was let go, the Los Angeles Times reported late Wednesday that Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis traveled to meet with Wolves officials earlier that day and was on his way toward becoming the team's new coach.

The newspaper said Rambis' travel and discussions with the Wolves were a "strong sign" he will replace the man who so famously clotheslined him in a 1984 NBA Finals game.

A league source confirmed that Rambis traveled to meet with the Wolves, but it's believed that no contract offer had been made as of Wednesday night.

Wolves basketball boss David Kahn last week said he hoped to have a contract offer firmed up with a candidate -- Rambis and former NBA point guard and TV analyst Mark Jackson are considered the two finalists -- before having him meet with team owner Glen Taylor. Houston assistant coach Elston Turner is considered a third choice.

Kahn is believed to have interviewed Rambis and Jackson for a second time in Los Angeles last week. He declined comment Wednesday night and said by text message, "I wouldn't read anything into the no comment."

It is not known whether Jackson is traveling, or has traveled, to meet with Wolves officials as well. A team spokesman said a news conference hasn't been scheduled to announce a coach.

Rambis, 51, played for four NBA championship teams with the Lakers in the 1980s and has been a Lakers assistant coach for 10 seasons, replacing head coach Phil Jackson for emergency medical reasons numerous times. He was appointed the Lakers' defensive coach last fall, an appointment Jackson hadn't made in 17 previous years of NBA coaching.

"Multiple sources have told Pro Basketball News that Mark Jackson has emerged as the leading candidate for the [Timberwolves] position and will wind up with his first coaching gig."

sick.gif
Originally Posted by JPZx

Saw that on ESPN Insider...but couldn't actually view the article because I'm not a member or whatever.

Woulnd't be a good hire.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Jackson....Hmmm just what I wanted a new up and comer.

Give him a chance to grow with his team ala Phil Jackson in the 90s.

Just wondering guys what made you come around?

I changed my mind after the draft.

Jumping straight from the television booth to a HEAD coaching job is what scared me...the guy had no NBA coaching experience in his life and yet he was beingthrown into the discussion? I didn't like that.

When we drafted Rubio and Flynn back-to-back, two PGs, I started to come around on Jackson. For these reasons:

1. He could mentor and guide Rubio and Flynn in their developing process as rookies and early years as well....as a guy that proved he was a legitimate PG inthe NBA over his 17-year career, I'm guessing Flynn and Rubio would give him the utmost respect and really listen to what he tells them.

2. If you're a coach in the NBA, the thing that's more important than anything else is if your players are willing to go out there for 82 games andplay hard for you. That rules over all else when you're a coach. Because if you're players aren't willingto go out there and give it their all because you're not a fun coach to play for, then you're not going to have success as a coach. That was theproblem with Wittman....NONE of the players liked him so NONE of the players wanted to play for him. And then guess what? McHale stepped in and ALL the playerslike him and ALL the players wanted to play for him. So what resulted from that? We had a magnificent January and we were playing like a totally differentteam.

I really hope the Rambis/Timberwolves rumors go away but it looks like he's really close to getting the job now (he's in the T.C. and everything).Going after Jackson seems like a move McHale and Co. WOULDN'T have made.

My motto for our team: WWMcD

= What.Would.McHale.Do.

Once you figure that out, do the opposite.

Ok I see, I also co-sign.

Jackson is a new guy, I like the fact that he is bringing in not owing anyone except for Kahn, that means no assistants that he will have to bring with him, noprejudices he will bring from another organization( Stuck in their ways ectttt) I liked him from the beginning and I still like him. I hope he gets the gig, Idon't hate Rambis like some of you do, I just would prefer Jackson, can't go wrong with any of the candidates IMO.

Back
Top Bottom