Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Worked late last night and early this morning and just caught up with the elite card. Jake Shields is the truth

Originally Posted by Meangene44103

Dana White has just announced that UFC 89: Bisping Vs. Leben will be aired for free on Spike TV on October 18, 2008.

Announced fights:

Main Card
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben (main event)
Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva
Light Heavyweight bout: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Luis Cane
Welterweight bout: Akihiro Gono vs. Dan Hardy
Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Brandon Vera

Preliminary Card
Heavyweight bout: Shane Carwin vs. Neil Wain
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Paul Taylor
Lightweight bout: Jess Liaudin vs. David Bielkheden
Lightweight bout: Samy Schiavo vs. Per Eklund
Lightweight bout: Sam Stout vs. Terry Etim
Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Paul Kelly

Another UFC where I think the prelims are better than the main event
mad.gif
Chris Lytle is always fun to watch and I really hope they broadcast Sam Stout and Terry Etim. If not I guess I'll have to wait for the dvd

Leben and Bisping is the main event. seriously?........

mad.gif

The prelims are good but let's not get ahead of ourselves
laugh.gif
. That's a pretty badass card for free. And I'll just put into into my head that Machida/Silva is the main event and not Bisping/Leben
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

mad.gif
laugh.gif
. That's a pretty badass card for free. And I'll just put into into my head that Machida/Silva is the main event and not Bisping/Leben
laugh.gif

I only say that because I like watching LW's and WW's over any other weight class. Prelims have 3 lightweight fights, main show has 0. Personalpreference on top of a super weak main event. And I agree that Machida vs Silva should be the main event but Bisping is why the card is in England

I honestly sat threw the whole Elite XC card last night and I did enjoy it. Very good 2nd show. Diaz needs to be back in the UFC, fans love the guy or hate himbut people tune in to watch him no doubt about it.

mad.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

For real. For free, this card is great. 3 great light heavy matches.

Just finished watching this past weekends EliteXC's show. IMO, so much better than the first. Production was better, no Goldberg. Fights were entertainingas well. My thoughts:

-Cyborg chick looked good. She looks like she could beat most guys +%*%$.

-Did Shields really call out the winner of GSP/Fitch? Wow, lets not get ahead of ourselves. GSP, Fitch, Hughes, Kos, and maybe even Sanchez>Shields.

-Why does Diaz always look so slow? Someone posted their dream card a few posts ago, a Diaz/Gomi rematch would be on my card.

-The outcome of Lawler/Smith was what I expected fomr their first outing.

With that all being said, EliteXC should be able to match or exceed the numbers they did from their first show. With the right fights and the right marketing,it could be a great show. 3 fights that need to be on that card:

Kimbo vs. Rogers
Gina vs. Cyborg
Diaz vs. Noons (You know Diaz is down to fight)

And for all Lawler's next opponent, how about Cung Le?

Gina Carrano is
pimp.gif

that cyborg chick is a beast.Bazzler didnt even want to get up when Cyborg jumped on the cage.

sounds like i missed a great card. i was at a local RITC event this weekend, didnt get a chance to watch any of the fights. oh well, gotta start looking for emnow!

-Did Shields really call out the winner of GSP/Fitch? Wow, lets not get ahead of ourselves. GSP, Fitch, Hughes, Kos, and maybe even Sanchez>Shields.
Outside of GSP and possibly Fitch (even though it's close), nope nope nope. Dude would destroy Sanchez and would is a better grappler thenKos. And an old Hughes isn't touching Shields right now. He's not getting ahead of himself at all... This is a guy who's beat Mach, Kikuchi,Condit, Okami (Condit and Okami in the same damn night), dominated Charuto, and just destroyed a VERY good grappler on the ground in Nick Thompson (and madehim look silly with how quick he mounted
sick.gif
). Jake on top is better thenany MMA 170 lber not named GSP, easy. He's been passing people's guard at will throughout his career. He is easily the 3rd best welterweight right nowbehind Fitch and GSP. I don't know how you can debate that.

Cung Le is on Strikeforce. Unless they do another co-promotion event it's not gonna happen anytime soon. He'll probably fight JoeyVillasenor again.

Outside of GSP and possibly Fitch (even though it's close), nope nope nope. Dude would destroy Sanchez and would is a better grappler then Kos. And an old Hughes isn't touching Shields right now. He's not getting ahead of himself at all... This is a guy who's beat Mach, Kikuchi, Condit, Okami (Condit and Okami in the same damn night), dominated Charuto, and just destroyed a VERY good grappler on the ground in Nick Thompson (and made him look silly with how quick he mounted
sick.gif
). Jake on top is better then any MMA 170 lber not named GSP, easy. He's been passing people's guard at will throughout his career. He is easily the 3rd best welterweight right now behind Fitch and GSP. I don't know how you can debate that.

Cung Le is on Strikeforce. Unless they do another co-promotion event it's not gonna happen anytime soon. He'll probably fight Joey Villasenor again.

Was gonna respond to Monopoly Man but looks like Mayhem already did. As much of a "UFC Fan" as I am, I have to agree with Mayhem that Shieldsvery well may one of the best 170lber not named GSP. I think Thompson is a very talented respectable fighter and in all honestly, I thought he was going toput up a better fight but Shields absolutely steamrolled him. That quick transition to mount made Thompson look like an amateur.

One question about the overall Elite XC card saturday night. Anyone else thing that they let some of the fights go too long? Mazaggati is a solid ref that Irespect but I felt that he let Bazler (check spell) get pounded for way too long. I thought the fight should have been called the first time Cris Cyborgdropped her. To have her come back and take that much more punishment was a bit excessive.

Does anyone here train with Shields down in South SF? I was thinking of rollin down there and taking a look at the facility. I hear from some people that hewas a great instructor at Fairtex when he was there.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Does anyone here train with Shields down in South SF? I was thinking of rollin down there and taking a look at the facility. I hear from some people that he was a great instructor at Fairtex when he was there.

I did. He's a GREAT instructor. It's not an place that you go to and it's
eek.gif
but the instruction is great there. I had to stop going since I'm going backto school soon though.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Outside of GSP and possibly Fitch (even though it's close), nope nope nope. Dude would destroy Sanchez and would is a better grappler then Kos. And an old Hughes isn't touching Shields right now. He's not getting ahead of himself at all... This is a guy who's beat Mach, Kikuchi, Condit, Okami (Condit and Okami in the same damn night), dominated Charuto, and just destroyed a VERY good grappler on the ground in Nick Thompson (and made him look silly with how quick he mounted
sick.gif
). Jake on top is better then any MMA 170 lber not named GSP, easy. He's been passing people's guard at will throughout his career. He is easily the 3rd best welterweight right now behind Fitch and GSP. I don't know how you can debate that.

Cung Le is on Strikeforce. Unless they do another co-promotion event it's not gonna happen anytime soon. He'll probably fight Joey Villasenor again.

Was gonna respond to Monopoly Man but looks like Mayhem already did. As much of a "UFC Fan" as I am, I have to agree with Mayhem that Shields very well may one of the best 170lber not named GSP. I think Thompson is a very talented respectable fighter and in all honestly, I thought he was going to put up a better fight but Shields absolutely steamrolled him. That quick transition to mount made Thompson look like an amateur.

One question about the overall Elite XC card saturday night. Anyone else thing that they let some of the fights go too long? Mazaggati is a solid ref that I respect but I felt that he let Bazler (check spell) get pounded for way too long. I thought the fight should have been called the first time Cris Cyborg dropped her. To have her come back and take that much more punishment was a bit excessive.

I'm going to try and attempt my reasoning behind why I think Shields is below GSP, Fitch, HUghes, Kos, and maybe Diego.For reference, heres 3 top 10list for welterweights:

Sherdog.com
1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Kos
4. Sanchez
5. Alves
6. Hughes
7. Shields
8. Serra
9. Karo
10. Condit

MMANews.com
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Jon Fitch
3. Thiago Alves
4. Matt Hughes
5. Jake Shields
6. Josh Koscheck
7. Diego Sanchez
8. Karo Parisyan
9. Matt Serra
10. Carlos Condit

MMAWeekly.com
1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Alves
4. Kos
5. Hughes
6. Serra
7. Shields
8. Sanchez
9. Condit
10. Karo

I hope everyone agrees with putting GSP and Fitch above Shields. GSP speaks for himself and Fitch is 8-0 in the UFC.

On 2 out of the 3 lists, Kos is rated above Shields. His only most recent loss was to GSP. I'd say Kos's wrestling is better and Shields submissiongame is better. Standup I'd say is equal.
Hughes may be getting older but can still be good. 2 out of his last 3 losses were against GSP and 1 against an overweight Alves. Hughes would win via GnP.

Sanchez is a maybe for me. If he beats Alves, then for sure.

I didn't even mention Alves or even BJ when he moves up. To say hes right behind GSP and ahead of all those fighters, I say nope. Shields beat NickThompson, hip hip hooray!

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

sick.gif

Was gonna respond to Monopoly Man but looks like Mayhem already did. As much of a "UFC Fan" as I am, I have to agree with Mayhem that Shields very well may one of the best 170lber not named GSP. I think Thompson is a very talented respectable fighter and in all honestly, I thought he was going to put up a better fight but Shields absolutely steamrolled him. That quick transition to mount made Thompson look like an amateur.

One question about the overall Elite XC card saturday night. Anyone else thing that they let some of the fights go too long? Mazaggati is a solid ref that I respect but I felt that he let Bazler (check spell) get pounded for way too long. I thought the fight should have been called the first time Cris Cyborg dropped her. To have her come back and take that much more punishment was a bit excessive.

I'm going to try and attempt my reasoning behind why I think Shields is below GSP, Fitch, HUghes, Kos, and maybe Diego.For reference, heres 3 top 10 list for welterweights:

Sherdog.com
1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Kos
4. Sanchez
5. Alves
6. Hughes
7. Shields
8. Serra
9. Karo
10. Condit

MMANews.com
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Jon Fitch
3. Thiago Alves
4. Matt Hughes
5. Jake Shields
6. Josh Koscheck
7. Diego Sanchez
8. Karo Parisyan
9. Matt Serra
10. Carlos Condit

MMAWeekly.com
1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Alves
4. Kos
5. Hughes
6. Serra
7. Shields
8. Sanchez
9. Condit
10. Karo

I hope everyone agrees with putting GSP and Fitch above Shields. GSP speaks for himself and Fitch is 8-0 in the UFC.

On 2 out of the 3 lists, Kos is rated above Shields. His only most recent loss was to GSP. I'd say Kos's wrestling is better and Shields submission game is better. Standup I'd say is equal.
Hughes may be getting older but can still be good. 2 out of his last 3 losses were against GSP and 1 against an overweight Alves. Hughes would win via GnP.

Sanchez is a maybe for me. If he beats Alves, then for sure.

I didn't even mention Alves or even BJ when he moves up. To say hes right behind GSP and ahead of all those fighters, I say nope. Shields beat Nick Thompson, hip hip hooray!

Come on now... Shields has a better resume in wrestling and grappling then Kos's... Just check it, ADCC, Nationals, World Trials, Pan Am Jiu Jitsu,Grappler's Quest, Gracie Tourny's, I could go on and on and on. And Hughes got dominated in both those fights, he didn't even put up much of afight. Enough that people were looking for his retirement announcement... And he has just as good or better resume then Fitch. Not to mention Jake has beatenFitch in grappling tournaments before. And seriously though, Dirty Sanchez got beat by Kos and Fitch (which in no means is a bad thing), but how is he gonnafair against a fighter how is pretty much in the same mold as Kos and Fitch with better grappling? Better transitions? Better subs? And Shields dominatedThompson on the ground, beat Mach, Condit, Charuto (which, if anyone remembers, was close as hell to finishing Hughes in their fight in Hughes' PRIME),Kikuchi, and Okami. He DOMINATED Thompson in his own game and made him look ridiculous. Hip hip hooray! To mock who he's beaten is dumb when he has betterresume then most people on that list.

^ I guess we agree to disagree. After I read that you and Mojo disagreed with me, I wanted to check the various websites to check their rankings. Maybe I wassmoking at the time. I'm not saying they are right, I just wanted to see if they agree with my list, and they do. I didn't know Jake has beat Fitch ingrappling tournaments before...but thats just it, grappling. In the cage, when everything is included, Fitch>Shields. Hughes may be old but I still think hewould beat Shields. Hughes last 3 losses were to 2 much larger welterweights. Shields looks like a more natural welterweight which Hughes could handle. GSP andHughes resume>Shields. Sanchez, Kos, Fitch resume's=Shields. So if Sanchez beats Alves, will you still put Shields above Diego? And what about Alves anda 170lb. Penn? Where would rank them?

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

^ I guess we agree to disagree. After I read that you and Mojo disagreed with me, I wanted to check the various websites to check their rankings. Maybe I was smoking at the time. I'm not saying they are right, I just wanted to see if they agree with my list, and they do. I didn't know Jake has beat Fitch in grappling tournaments before...but thats just it, grappling. In the cage, when everything is included, Fitch>Shields. Hughes may be old but I still think he would beat Shields. Hughes last 3 losses were to 2 much larger welterweights. Shields looks like a more natural welterweight which Hughes could handle. GSP and Hughes resume>Shields. Sanchez, Kos, Fitch resume's=Shields. So if Sanchez beats Alves, will you still put Shields above Diego? And what about Alves and a 170lb. Penn? Where would rank them?

In addition to grappling tournys, Jake goes out to AKA a lot, and I've got to see them spar. They're pretty even. Jake is more technical though withhis Muay Thai. And Hughes is about 40+ fights deep and has been in this game much longer then anyone on the list, I'd expect him to have a better resume,but at this stage I don't see him touching Jake. Jake walks around 190ish+, just like GSP but he's just a little taller so he's the same size asGSP. So if you think GSP was much larger, Jake should be in that same category. Hughes strength is grappling, and Jake is better at this stage in his career.I don't disagree with GSP, GSP is on a whole nother level any way and I never said Jake was better. Kos has beaten Dirty and ? That's really it. Fitchand Jake are even to me IMO. Sanchez has a damn good record as well, but I'm not gonna say it's MUCH better then Jake's. If Dirty beats Alves wouldI put him above? I wouldn't. Like I said, Jake, Fitch, and Kos are in the same mold, and grappling wise in terms of the whole package Jake is better. Iwouldn't put Alves ahead of any of the fighters listed right now, and y'all know I'm on the Alves war wagon right now
laugh.gif
. And when BJ moves up, I'll put him 2nd behind GSP, and possibly 1stdepending on what happens when they fight, but he's not 170 yet. Like I said, he's the 3rd best WW to me behind GSP and Fitch. I'm saying it'snot outlandish for him to be wanting the winner of Fitch/GSP (even though it's not happening). And IMO, wamma has the best rankings. Very unbiased for anorg.

I'm coming in at the tail end here, and don't know if it's been mentioned, but Shields has beaten Fitch and Diego both in Grappling Tourneys. Andthat is pretty much what Fitch and Diego do best.

Do not sleep on this man just because he has not fought great competition in MMA. He happens to be in a weaker org. But he is still an elite fighter.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I'm coming in at the tail end here, and don't know if it's been mentioned, but Shields has beaten Fitch and Diego both in Grappling Tourneys. And that is pretty much what Fitch and Diego do best.

Do not sleep on this man just because he has not fought great competition in MMA. He happens to be in a weaker org. But he is still an elite fighter.

Yup, Phillip is right. Actually the vids of both contests are on youtube or dailymotion. Pretty technical *!%@ if you can find it.
Also, prettyexcitied about Titio signing up with Affliction. Hopefully, Arona will get signed there too. I just wanna see a Babalu-Arona-Tito-Lil' Nog four man in one night tourney. That would have some slick grappling.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I'm coming in at the tail end here, and don't know if it's been mentioned, but Shields has beaten Fitch and Diego both in Grappling Tourneys. And that is pretty much what Fitch and Diego do best.

I mentioned Fitch, I completely forgot about Diego. Don't know why, that was at ADCC? from what I remember.

[table][tr][td]
NSAC: Irvin Positive for Painkillers
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Options: [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/email_icon.gif[/img] Email Article | [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/printer_icon.gif[/img] Printer Friendly[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
thumbnail_crop.php

Tuesday, July 29, 2008
by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Getting the opportunity to face the world's top pound-for-pound fighter might not have been worth it to James Irvin (Pictures) in the end.

After getting squashed by Anderson Silva (Pictures) in a minute and one second during their July 19 UFC light heavyweight tilt on Spike TV, the Sacramento native has allegedly tested positive for the non-approved analgesic painkillers Methadone and Oxymorphone according to a post-fight urinalysis conducted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Irvin (14-5) has been temporarily suspended pending a disciplinary hearing with the NSAC. The regulatory body could vote to revoke his licensure for a yet-to-be determined length of time and/or fine Irvin for the alleged infractions. A date for the hearing has not been set.

Irvin's manager, Mike Roberts, told Sherdog.com Tuesday afternoon that he had not been aware of the allegations and had not been in contact with his client about them yet. Irvin could not be immediately reached for comment.

Irvin, 29, took the Silva bout on the heels of recovery from a broken foot, after the UFC had swiftly organized the July 19 event to counter-program a pay-per-view hosted by the rival Affliction promotion on the same night.

Irvin had sustained the injury last May in preparation for a proposed co-event matchup against "The Ultimate Fighter 2" winner Rashad Evens at UFC 85 "Bedlam," which was held on June 7 in London.

A former star on the central California's WEC circuit prior to the promotion's purchase by Zuffa LLC. in 2006, the heavy-handed Irvin had posted back-to-back wins over Luis Cane and Houston Alexander (Pictures) before his one-sided loss to UFC middleweight champion Silva.

[table][tr][td]
Methadone and Oxymorphone

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
Methadone is used for Heroin addiction and Oxymorphone is highly addictive. Dude's pretty heavy on the drugs really...I wouldn't be surprised if they caught him with more drugs in his system.
smh.gif

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom