Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Randy will take on Brock for the UFC HW Championship at UFC 91 and the winner will take on Mir/Noguiera for the undisputed title
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
They're also trying to make it so Fedor fights with Randy in 09. He'stalking about it live @
Six-time UFC champion Randy Couture (Pictures) will return to the Octagon this November, ending an 11-month legal battle with the promotion he's called his home for the last 11 years.

As part of a new multi-fight contract with Zuffa LLC, parent company to the UFC, Couture (16-
glasses.gif
will face Brock Lesnar (Pictures) (3-0) at UFC 91 on Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. The bout will be waged over five rounds for Couture's heavyweight championship title.

"As you all know, we've had problems with Randy over the last few months, but we've got them all worked out now. Randy has always been our heavyweight champion," said UFC President Dana White.

A previously announced bout between UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) and Frank Mir (Pictures) scheduled for December will determine the next contender for the UFC heavyweight crown, said White. White described the scenario as a "heavyweight tournament."

Under the new agreement, the UFC will also attempt to lock down a bout between Couture and No. 1 ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) in 2009. The highly anticipated bout has been heralded as the fight of the decade.

We're gonna do everything we can to make that fight happen," said White. "Emelianenko's under another contract right now to another promotion and if we can work it out with the other promotion we will, but we're not going to screw around with another contract."

It is believed Emelianenko recently signed an exclusive U.S. contract with the rival promotion Affliction Entertainment. It is not known how many fights Emelianenko has committed to. White said he would not be open to a co-promotion effort with the rival organization.

"I think a lot of compromises were made on both sides," said Couture, "but we're both ready to try and move forward. We've cleared the air and we're both in different places than we were a year ago. Sitting last year in legal fights was not something I've enjoyed."

Couture's abrupt departure from the UFC last October dealt a significant blow to the world's most visible MMA promotion. Zuffa's inability to land Pride heavyweight champion Emelianenko played a prominent role in the Couture's decision to walk away, as did the fighter's discontent with his pay and treatment by the Las Vegas-based company.

With his resignation, Couture left behind two contracted bouts, his UFC heavyweight crown, and a separate employment contract for on-air commentary services.

The 45-year-old Couture's return to the UFC signals the end of arbitration proceedings over the fighter's promotional contract that were underway in Las Vegas. A separate lawsuit filed last January against Couture for breach of his employment contract has also been squashed.

Couture called his return to the UFC "a step in the right direction" to getting a bout with Emelianenko down the line.

A three-time All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State University, Couture won four national championships in Greco-Roman wrestling and made four attempts at qualifying for the Olympics. He made his MMA debut at UFC 13 on May 13, 1997, where, at age 33, he won its heavyweight tournament.

Over the course of the next decade, Couture emerged as one of the most decorated mixed martial artists in history. The UFC's only six-time champion, he captured the heavyweight belt three times, the light heavyweight title twice, and an interim light heavyweight title as well. Couture was the first fighter to win UFC championships in two weight classes.

His run through the promotion included a memorable trilogy with light heavyweight rival Chuck Liddell (Pictures), the only opponent to beat Couture twice. Following his third bout with Liddell in February 2006, Couture announced his first retirement. Couture returned in March 27 to topple 6-foot-8 giant Tim Sylvia (Pictures) for the UFC heavyweight crown.

Couture has not stepped back into the Octagon since his third-round pummeling of Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) at UFC 74 in August 2007.

http://www.sherdog.com/ne...re-back-in-ufc-fold-14261

This is amazing but I'm choked! I was so looking forward to making a road trip outta this w' like a group of my closest friends! lol
Now I'll have to find some non-close baller friends to head to Vegas for his fight!

I'm torn.. I'm cheering for the old man (and think he should still be favored) but I also wanna see Brock rip him to shreds (and build a new star).. Mymma fan vs pro wrestling fan in me are at odds.. And I have no idea who's winning..

serious question.

i know couture is a bit of a special case but how long do you think couture can really fight at an elite level?

he's 45 and he's been laid off for a year. i wonder myself.

i personally didnt think the lesnar victory was all that impressive in terms of showcasing his mma skills, as most of the fight was just out wrestling and peppering.

but id be lying if i said that i thought that it was impossible that he coud do that to randy.

of course randy has mauled his last two opponents.

-- More on the UFC conference call. Dana White said Portland was never official and that they would run there at some point in the future. He said Couture vs.Lesnar was for the title and would be a five-round fight. The winner of that fight will face the winner of December's Antonio Nogueira vs. Frank Mir in aneventual unification match. Dana said this would be the biggest fight in UFC history and predicted over 1 million buys. He said they wanted to set up a fightwith Fedor but he was under contract with another company and they weren't going to do any tampering. He said he would be appalled if Affliction was stillin business by January, and if the company is dead they wouldn't have to worry about contracts. They also asked Brock about whether he'dfight Fedor and Brock, who was getting pissed off about all the Fedor questions by this point, screamed and I quote, "Who give a %+%% about Fedor? I'msick of hearing about *$%#!#% Fedor. He's not with the company, he might not ever be with the company, so who gives a %+%%?" Brock is afantastic heel. Dana also said they were looking at a two or three episode 24/7-style series on Spike to build this up.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just about done with the UFC. I've been saying this forever it's getting ridiculous now. Every card hasthe "biggest fight in MMA history" and @#$ is up? so there is gonna be 2 HW champs??

Originally Posted by NikeMax

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just about done with the UFC. I've been saying this forever it's getting ridiculous now. Every card has the "biggest fight in MMA history" and @#$ is up? so there is gonna be 2 HW champs??
yeah, according to the ufc theres been 2 champs ever since nogueira beat sylvia, its gonna abe like the lw situation in which penn became theinterim champ by beating stevenson then fought the real champ in sherk who was just finishing his 6 month suspension, the only difference here is that bothmatches have been set in that nog will face mir and randy will face brock then the winners of both will face each other to unify the titles

and no, every fight is not the biggest fight in mma history, that title is reserved for penn vs gsp 2
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by NikeMax

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just about done with the UFC. I've been saying this forever it's getting ridiculous now. Every card has the "biggest fight in MMA history" and @#$ is up? so there is gonna be 2 HW champs??
As long as they keep putting on great shows, what's the problem?

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

its gonna abe like the lw situation in which penn became the interim champ by beating stevenson then fought the real champ in sherk who was just finishing his 6 month suspension, the only difference here is that both matches have been set in that nog will face mir and randy will face brock then the winners of both will face each other to unify the titles

actually in that situation sherk had been stripped of the title, so penn legitimately won a vacant lightweight championship.

sherk was the only one saying he was the real champ.

in this situation the ufc maintained couture as the ufc champ because they held him under contract for two more fights. holding him as champ aslo gave themleverage in their court proceeings.

an interim belt was instituted because a division is virtually in limbo if there is no title to be fought over.

similar to the ortiz/couture lhw situation a while back.

i think randy should have returned to fight nog. he is far away from being 'too above' nog to fight him and that fight unifies the division again.

that title is reserved for penn vs gsp 2
tongue.gif

as far as im concerned it is.

you're going to stop watching the premier organization in mma because of that? dana is just selling his product.

cant expect him to say 'this fight could very well be boring and not worth the price of admission or ppv, please dont watch' .

^ Yeah, a better example would be when Matt Serra, WW champ at the time, was out with an injury and they had GSP/Hughes for the interim title. Then eventuallyGSP beat Serra in the rematch for the undisputed title. Dana is smart for this match. Most people thought Lesnar was gonna beat Kongo anyway.

pimp.gif
eek.gif
Dana White might be a hated guy but sure gets stuff done. Ill be watchingLesnar/Couture. Im glad the legal battle over and now Randy can come back to the house he built in UFC

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

actually in that situation sherk had been stripped of the title, so penn legitimately won a vacant lightweight championship.

sherk was the only one saying he was the real champ.
to my knowledge, it was for the interim title all the way until sherk was punished 6 months, dana refused to strip him but he did to conform tocalifornia's athletic commission demands, yeah the serra vs gsp is probably a better example, but to me its pretty much the same situation

ok enough back and forth.

my point in the first place was that you said:

in which penn became the interim champ by beating stevenson then fought the real champ in sherk
which is incorrect, and all i did was point that out.

fin.

I just don't see how brock is entitled to a title(pre-title) shot already....it's just sickening how Dana determines who is in contention and who isnot...either way, it should be a great fight...can't wait
pimp.gif

-smile

MAIN CARD

Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell
Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill
Karo Parisyan vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares
Martin Kampmann vs. Nate Marquardt

PRELIMINARY CARD

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Thiago Tavares
Tim Boetsch vs. Mike Patt
Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan
Jason Lambert vs. Jason MacDonald

BTW joe silva needs to get his %++* together. its a mess right now.

eek.gif
I wanted to see Brock fight someone else with skill and see if hecan be that dominate again. Randy FTW! What a PPV that could be!

Randy will have to fight smart on the real, this could be his biggest test. Brock is steadily getting better as Randy has to regain form. Lets see if Cap hasstill got it.

Funny. All the UFC stans used to clown Pride for their "freak show" fights. Well, is Randy/Brock any better?

And I don't know how anyone could call Big Nog "boring". If you're basing that on 2 UFC fights, is Brock Lesnar any more"exciting"?

People call machida "boring" as well. If you're a fan of fights, and great fighters and the many different styles they use, I can't see howyou could find either fighter boring. Unless you're one of those dolts that boos when two fighters aren't mindlessly swinging at each other.

Great fighters are rarely boring (Lay and pray wrestlers being the exception, but are they really "great"? Sherk maybe....). If you love the sportyou should be able to appreciate the greatness in what they do. If you're just in it for the "entertainment", well, that's another story.

I would much rather see Randy/Nog, the fight that SHOULD happen, then Randy/Brock.

Originally Posted by illphillip

People call machida "boring" as well. If you're a fan of fights, and great fighters and the many different styles they use, I can't see how you could find either fighter boring. Unless you're one of those dolts that boos when two fighters aren't mindlessly swinging at each other.
i realize that he fights "his fight" and that he doesnt care about whether or not he plays to the fans and that he wins fights, but thisguy is boring. IMO he will never headline a ppv if a title is not involved, he's just way too unexciting for most fans to watch, at best hes a coheadlinerbut not a main event type fighter

Originally Posted by illphillip

Funny. All the UFC stans used to clown Pride for their "freak show" fights. Well, is Randy/Brock any better?

Not a UFC stan but how is this even close to a freak show compared to what Pride use to put on? Brock is a athletic freak with an excellent wrestlingbackground. Yes, he may still be new but no way can you compare him to freak shows like Bob Sapp, Giant Silva etc.

Back
Top Bottom