Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Did you guys watch the same fight I did? Smart technical fight by Silva? He was showboating for most of the fight. I respect the man's skill and he's still one of the best P4P fighters out there but he's made an %*+ out of himself with this fight and against Cote. It's a shame that you guys are putting most of the blame on Leites because Anderson wasn't doing much engaging either.

serious question, how many times were there where anderson engaged and thales didnt drop down? it was pretty much every time
And how many times did Anderson try to engage Leites when he did drop down? We're talking like Anderson is a huge slouch on the ground. If you really feel he gave even half of the performance compared to his other fights where he would go in for the kill then I don't know what to tell you. What I saw out there is not the same man that destroyed Rich, beat up Nate and Dan, etc. HE CAME IN WITH HIS HANDS DOWN FOR A LOT OF THE FIGHT. That's showboating, plain and simple.

this post here isnt to argue about most of your post, yeah he did showboat when he danced but that hands down thing isnt showboating, he likes throw from hiships the way that roy jones and several other boxers do, he doesnt always use the traditional boxing/kickboxing/muay-thai hands infront stance, i knowyou're probably going to say "roy jones another showboater" but throwing from the hips definitely doesnt equate to showboating

as for the not engaging part, he did try on several times standing up and there was that one time on the ground where he got in several shots but like i wastrying to say earlier, anderson silva is going to fight his fight and everyone knows thats standing up, pretty much what i saw in this fight was one fighterwho wanted to keep it standing and engage that way and another fighter who wanted to take it to the ground and engage that way, and neither one of them waswilling to budge

anderson silva is the champ, and his style of fighting - the stand up, is most exciting part of all of mixed martial arts, he doesnt have to fight thales'sground fight, imagine if it were the other way around with andrson constantly avoiding the stand up and dropping to his back without pulling guard, he wouldhave lost too, anderson silva doesnt have to fight thales's fight, in order to beat anderson silva you're going to have to fight his fight

as for the not engaging part, he did try on several times standing up and there was that one time on the ground where he got in several shots but like i was trying to say earlier, anderson silva is going to fight his fight and everyone knows thats standing up, pretty much what i saw in this fight was one fighter who wanted to keep it standing and engage that way and another fighter who wanted to take it to the ground and engage that way, and neither one of them was willing to budge
The thing is, every fighter knows Anderson wants to keep it standing since he came into the UFC. Rich knew that, Dan knew that, Nate knew that,etc. I agree with you that maybe it was stubbornness from both fighters, but if you're telling me that Anderson gave half the effort he did in his otherfights I'm gonna have to disagree fully with you. I have no problem with some showboating, but Anderson wasn't really giving a performance that fightto merit it.

as for the not engaging part, he did try on several times standing up and there was that one time on the ground where he got in several shots but like i was trying to say earlier, anderson silva is going to fight his fight and everyone knows thats standing up, pretty much what i saw in this fight was one fighter who wanted to keep it standing and engage that way and another fighter who wanted to take it to the ground and engage that way, and neither one of them was willing to budge
The thing is, every fighter knows Anderson wants to keep it standing since he came into the UFC. Rich knew that, Dan knew that, Nate knew that, etc. I agree with you that maybe it was stubbornness from both fighters, but if you're telling me that Anderson gave half the effort he did in his other fights I'm gonna have to disagree fully with you. I have no problem with some showboating, but Anderson wasn't really giving a performance that fight to merit it.

you're right, it was a boring fight, we all can agree on that, but what im saying is that the reason i think blame is being placed so heavily on thales iscause it almost seems as if he "tried" to beat anderson silva but not really, we all know that thales's strategy from the start was going to beto take anderson silva down, but once that didnt work, he moved on to trying to pull guard from the stand up, once that didnt work he would just drop to hisback - and thats where i think the blame is, yeah i know he wanted to win the fight but it just seemed to me like he wasnt really trying to win it, once allthose attempts start to fail he's gotta realize that he has to start standing and trying to strike with anderson to either knock him down or toset up a take down, but he didnt even try on the stand up, he just kept delaying the fight by falling to his back whichwasnt going anywhere

as for anderson trying to win the fight, yeah he didnt go for broke but he made serious attempts in the stand up, andersons willing to trade strikes withanyone in the ufc and unfortunately thale's wasnt willing to do so

Silva attacked and clearly didn't want to go down to the ground. Lates rarely attacked and kept dropping because he didn't want to be on his feet. Whyshould Silva give into Lates' strengths when he's already winning? It's not like Lathes gave more effort on his feet. Lathes was losing, so heshould be giving more effort to win. When Lathes took Silva down he didn't get off and make Silva stand up, so there's absolutely no reason Silvashould have to go down to the ground when Lathes drops himself.

And with the showboating, I could care less if Silva came in with his hands behind his back. Lathes wasn't threatening Silva at all on the feet and keptfalling down when he barely got touched (if at all). All this while Lathes was losing too.

I'm gonna say it's Thales fault. He is challenging Silva for the title. Otherwise why fight at all?

Originally Posted by gusyouout

Silva attacked and clearly didn't want to go down to the ground. Lates rarely attacked and kept dropping because he didn't want to be on his feet. Why should Silva give into Lates' strengths when he's already winning? It's not like Lathes gave more effort on his feet. Lathes was losing, so he should be giving more effort to win. When Lathes took Silva down he didn't get off and make Silva stand up, so there's absolutely no reason Silva should have to go down to the ground when Lathes drops himself.

And with the showboating, I could care less if Silva came in with his hands behind his back. Lathes wasn't threatening Silva at all on the feet and kept falling down when he barely got touched (if at all). All this while Lathes was losing too.
I agree. I blame Thales for the boring fight because he made only a few attempts to take down Silva until the end of the fight when he wasdesperate. I think Silva being a smart fighter isn't going to be overly aggressive and get caught running in to a punch pr make it easier for Thales tocatch him and put him on the ground. Also Thales is fighting for a title but at times it seemed like he was just content to go the distance. I hope the UFCputs someone in there next time with Silva who actually wants to fight and isn't scared of being aggressive.

Originally Posted by gusyouout

Silva attacked and clearly didn't want to go down to the ground. Lates rarely attacked and kept dropping because he didn't want to be on his feet. Why should Silva give into Lates' strengths when he's already winning? It's not like Lathes gave more effort on his feet. Lathes was losing, so he should be giving more effort to win. When Lathes took Silva down he didn't get off and make Silva stand up, so there's absolutely no reason Silva should have to go down to the ground when Lathes drops himself.

And with the showboating, I could care less if Silva came in with his hands behind his back. Lathes wasn't threatening Silva at all on the feet and kept falling down when he barely got touched (if at all). All this while Lathes was losing too.
QFT Basically turned into a glorified sparring session for Silva

What im saying is that you everyone is hyping this dude silva to be like an MMA god. if he was so great why didn't he just finish the fool. he had manychances to engage and knock him out. i respect liddel more than silva. atleast dude was going out swinging

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Leites is a ho
smh.gif

laugh.gif
, pretty much sums it up. He didn't want to win that fight, hewas too scared to mix it up.

What im saying is that you everyone is hyping this dude silva to be like an MMA god. if he was so great why didn't he just finish the fool. he had many chances to engage and knock him out. i respect liddel more than silva. atleast dude was going out swinging

Can't be mad at that either though. He coulda knocked Thales out during those later rounds, he's gotta be more aggressive.

But really, Silva has to step up to light heavyweight. !$!! fighting these middleweight bums that are too scared to engage and !$!! fighting GSP, that's aone time deal and GSP is the smaller fighter anyway, I'd rather see Alves take St. Pierre out at UFC 100. Silva's gotta step up to the challenge atlight heavy, that's the deepest division in the UFC, probably in MMA period, he'd get a hell of a lot of good fights there. Silva vs. Rampage,Machida, Rua, Griffin, Luiz Cane, Henderson, Evans, Thiago Silva, even non-elite dudes like Jon Jones, Houston Alexander, and Cantwell would make for greatfights. Basically Anderson needs to step in the ring in a situation where he's not the definite favorite, kind of like Fedor being an undersizedheavyweight fighting giants like Sylvia and dudes like Arlovski. Win against some stiff competition and people will respect him more.

Silva fought a smart fight I watched that fight looking at the other dude how he was fighting and was like is he serious.

Silva is a smart fighter and I saw that he did no wrong he did pound him a little on the floor when he got into the position, but the other dude was just likea upside down turtle like come on are you serious man.

Silva is the Champion and to be that champ you have to beat him.

Silva is more defensive, but when he seen dude was "turtling" he was more the aggressor, but the dude was being in a way where he wanted Silva in hisstrong points so he can succeed are you serious.

Listen to you idiots saying Silva was wrong for fighting the fight the way he did... if you're fighting a dude that has massive hand skills and is a heavyhitter then you try to avoid that route so why should Silva be any different... should he risk it just to "impress casual fans" and wind up losing orsomething.

He fought a smart fight and that's it... no different from what Floyd Mayweather does... hit and runaway, hit and run and win through the judges score cardbecause that's what needed to win.

Yeah the fans might not be happy, but he won't be the one walking home a loser and a knotted up face...

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

should he risk it just to "impress casual fans" and wind up losing or something.

He fought a smart fight and that's it... no different from what Floyd Mayweather does... hit and runaway, hit and run and win through the judges score card because that's what needed to win.

Yeah the fans might not be happy, but he won't be the one walking home a loser and a knotted up face...

it's astounding how more people dont realize this.

fans opinion's be damned. and the whole 'fans make the fighters' argument is assenine because there isnt one person who is going to quit watchingmma because of that fight.

a win is a win.

dude is heading home with the w, the record, and the bigger cheque.

pretty good fights overall

shogun is that dude. the fight wit chuck was exciting. both just laid it out there in the very first round. win or loss, they were going at each other

the anderson silva fight on the other hand was a lil disappointing. its even more frustrating that tales would just drop down on his back whenever silva camenear him. we all know that silva could have finished him off but he didnt... cuz he knew he was winning the fight already. it seems like he was playing not tolose rather than playing to win. smart tactic but not enjoyable to watch for some people.

at the end of it all winning is more important than getting a ko or a submission.

Originally Posted by Fuser86

Missed it. From the looks of it seems I didn't miss much though.

u missed the return of shogun
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
i dont know why but my heart was beating during that fight, the only other timethat's happened is when wanderlei fought chuck, i must be nervous as hell for these dudes against chuck

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

should he risk it just to "impress casual fans" and wind up losing or something.

He fought a smart fight and that's it... no different from what Floyd Mayweather does... hit and runaway, hit and run and win through the judges score card because that's what needed to win.

fans opinion's be damned. and the whole 'fans make the fighters' argument is assenine because there isnt one person who is going to quit watching mma because of that fight.

a win is a win.

I can't believe people are saying this... This is mixed martial arts and the ground game is part of it, and Silva is DAMN good on the ground.Point blank, he didn't do much to engage either. Since when has Silva been afraid to go to the ground? Why should be scared to go to the ground whenhe's jitz in MMA is on par with Leites... You can not compare Floyd's style of fighting to what Silva did if you know anything about boxing and thePhilly Shell...

And can we just stop with the casual fan BS... Because the casual fans aren't the only ones shaking their head at Silva.

Listen to you idiots saying Silva
Word? Idiots? AGAIN SINCE WHEN IS SILVA NOT WORTH %$%% ON THE GROUND? He has GREAT jiu jitsu and his wrestling is TEN FOLDS then what he used tobe. POINT BLANK, there is little to no disparity in terms of ground skills when comparing Leites and Silva in MMA. This is getting ridiculious. The ONLY placeI see people applauding Silva is in this thread. Hell Dana had to apologize for his performance and I've NEVER seen Dana say this about one of his fights.I guess Dana is an idiot as well huh?

anderson-silva_thales-leites_b.gif

Like, really? Now in no way shape of form commending Thales for his performance, both fought horrid fights.

fans opinion's be damned. and the whole 'fans make the fighters' argument is assenine because there isnt one person who is going to quit watching mma because of that fight.

a win is a win.

I can't believe people are saying this... This is mixed martial arts and the ground game is part of it, and Silva is DAMN good on the ground. Point blank, he didn't do much to engage either. Since when has Silva been afraid to go to the ground? Why should be scared to go to the ground when he's jitz in MMA is on par with Leites... You can not compare Floyd's style of fighting to what Silva did if you know anything about boxing and the Philly Shell...

And can we just stop with the casual fan BS... Because the casual fans aren't the only ones shaking their head at Silva.

so you are saying u would rather give the fans what they paid for or pretty much fall into the guys trap and play into his game? You sir are dumb because silvawants to win why would he risk losing if he can win w/o much effort

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

a win is a win.

I can't believe people are saying this... This is mixed martial arts and the ground game is part of it, and Silva is DAMN good on the ground. Point blank, he didn't do much to engage either. Since when has Silva been afraid to go to the ground? Why should be scared to go to the ground when he's jitz in MMA is on par with Leites... You can not compare Floyd's style of fighting to what Silva did if you know anything about boxing and the Philly Shell...

so you are saying u would rather give the fans what they paid for or pretty much fall into the guys trap and play into his game? You sir are dumb because silva wants to win why would he risk losing if he can win w/o much effort
HOLY %*!$ WHEN DID I SAY THAT? What you don't think you can fight a smart fight and give as much effort as you can into a fight? **%$!%@ridiculous.

Anyway................
I played the ufc demo. It's amazing!!!! Half guard, back mount, north/south position, shogun even has rubber guard! Chuck has his over hand right, spinningbackfist and legendary takedown defense. All sorts of clinch variations and takedowns. Demo doesn't come out till Thursday but if you want it now, reserveit at gamestop or search on sherdog forums for ufc demo diy like I did(you will need and xbox and blank DVD or cd).

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Anyway................
I played the ufc demo. It's amazing!!!! Half guard, back mount, north/south position, shogun even has rubber guard! Chuck has his over hand right, spinning backfist and legendary takedown defense. All sorts of clinch variations and takedowns. Demo doesn't come out till Thursday but if you want it now, reserve it at gamestop or search on sherdog forums for ufc demo diy like I did(you will need and xbox and blank DVD or cd).
Did you feel that like the fighters were true to what they were? Because I'm gonna be mad as hell if Chuck starts killing me in his guard
laugh.gif

Yea they actually break down the stats for every fighter, chuck's offensive ground game is pretty bad, whenever I take shogun down I just press the leftanalog stick in to stand back up
laugh.gif
trying to fight shogun on the ground on expert is impossible. He goes to rubber guard, flips me over and ends up inmount. I wish they added shoguns fancy air kick, he only has a flying knee. Seems that they based shogun off his fight with forest because his stand upisn't that great

And oh yeah, the controls are DEEP! Going through the 20 min tutorial is a must. I've played at least 50 fights and I still don't remember all thecontrols. You can tell thq put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this game(after making so many other crappy games) and I can't wait for it to release.

you can play the the demo by putting it in a usb drive but the loading times are long. here's a gif from the game
15we876.gif

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Uhoh, Anybody have the gif of silva greasing himself with the vasoline from his face? I've only heard about it..
laugh.gif
i was thinking about that too. i knew someone was gonnacatch that. when he enters the cage, he smears his face then wipes his hands on his chest and arms.

i dont think it was that big of a deal especially when the fight was mostly stand up, unlike when gsp and penn were on the ground.

Ok, my last thought on this Silva stuff.

First I am a fan of Silva who is my favorite fighter and yes I am disappointed. But I would be hecka mad if son lost trying to finish on the ground and gotcaught by Leites. Yes it could have happened but then again Leites had position and did nothing, while Silva tried an armbar at one point.

The champ don't need to chase the challenger must take the champ out. But Silva needs to just agress full force when on the feet. I think he wanted to go 5rounds because he is quoted to saying, "I wanted to show everybody I was in shape to go 5 rounds."

That right there tells me 2 things. 1. He must see what people say on certain message boards for the last 2 years and 2. Dude must have a problem withsomething to do with the UFC. Dana supposively talked with him after the press conference. I hope this talk will ignite him back to being the P4P best in theworld.

This fight doesn't make him any less of a fighter he was. As for the GSP fight, if you break down the variables of size, strength, and skill Georgedoesn't have much of a shot. Spider has taken bigger BJJ, wrestlers, and strikers down with ease. What makes people believe GSP will just GNP Spider? Hisreach disadvantage on the feet, his lack of BJJ, and even chin (ask Serra).

That fight is pointless. Spider go to 205 and go to work!

Back
Top Bottom