Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by chino905

I guess Cowboy Ceronne's fight get shifted to the main card?
No, it'll be Tavares vs. Jacoby.

I'm not sure, but I think there's usually contractual obligations with Spike where they can't change aired prelim bouts, so Cerrone/Siver will stay. Besides, the UFC always likes putting at least one interesting match-up on Spike in hopes to lure people into buying the pay-per-view (i.e. Pettis/Stephens on the last card).

With that said, why not Jorgensen/Curran on the main card? Hell, I'll take Vera/Marshall over Tavares/Jacoby. 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by cjspida619

just bought tickets yesterday me and my girl are going cant wait
Strikeforce events are hella fun. Got lower level tix for $50 I believe.

agreed.  had a crazy good time at the San Diego event even though that arena is quite possibly the worst arena in the entire country.  i was lucky enough to get hooked up with front row tickets and the view was amazing (not quite cageside, as that was all reserved for announcers, judges, or VIP like Dana and some other pro fighters).  
ya got lower level seats like last time,, had a great time this main event should be fireworks

Penn/Diaz should be 5 rounds. Aren't they changing main card fights to 5 rounds sometime this year?

Diaz highlights of UFC 137 conference call from http://www.heavy.com/mma/...Heavy.com+%C2%BB+MMA%29:

Why I like Nick Diaz: Diaz: I've just done my best to try not to focus on what's going on, you know, and just try to live every day like it's not a big deal. I don't know what's going to happen with me, but it's not going to make a difference whether or not I whine or cry about it, or panic to get things done. I'm just going to do what I always do — train, and when it's time to fight, I go fight. I've been there putting in 100% and I always thought that's what's important; people want to see good fights, good fighters, and that's what I'm trying to bring to the table.

Why I can't stand him: (Diaz on BJ Penn vs. GSP) This fight, it's a completely different fight. I think BJ is a lot better fighter to be honest with you, on a technical standpoint. He's much better at jiu-jitsu, boxing. I don't think he should fight at this weight. I don't think he looked so great in his last fight at 155-pounds for whatever reason, but yeah, I think he's a much better fighter than GSP all-around.

Diaz keeps it real, but is there anyone else in the world who thinks Penn is better than GSP? GSP beat him twice. Penn's boxing and BJJ may be better, but better fighter? Please.

Dana needs to cuss out Condit and tell him he needs to fight Kos next Saturday. Everybody fighter should use Rashad as an example and ask him how much money he forgave the past year. And, I don't understand why he should be waiting for GSP, it wasn't his title shot in the first place.

I hope Diaz runs over BJ, screws over Carlos and gets his shot back.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Dana needs to cuss out Condit and tell him he needs to fight Kos next Saturday. Everybody fighter should use Rashad as an example and ask him how much money he forgave the past year. And, I don't understand why he should be waiting for GSP, it wasn't his title shot in the first place.

Why should Carlos suffer for GSP not wanting to be 100%. GSP is not injured, he sprained his knee, and as a result he doesn't believe he is going to be at 100% on the night of the fight because he would have to take a break from training. HE COULD STILL FIGHT, he just doesn't want to risk it. Can't blame him but his safety first attitude really pisses me off sometimes. 
He is targeting Jan for a return. Carlos should still get his shot

Anyone going to 137 next weekend?

I got my wife throwing up the hail mary trying to get me comp tickets, if not I may be relegated to watching it at a bar somewhere on the strip.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Why should Carlos suffer for GSP not wanting to be 100%. GSP is not injured, he sprained his knee, and as a result he doesn't believe he is going to be at 100% on the night of the fight because he would have to take a break from training. HE COULD STILL FIGHT, he just doesn't want to risk it. Can't blame him but his safety first attitude really pisses me off sometimes. 
He is targeting Jan for a return. Carlos should still get his shot
Condit should wait it out, and it's not like he isn't deserving.  Diaz might be more, but we all know what happened with that.

According to yardbarker, GSP injured his hamstring after trying to compensate for his sprained knee.  So maybe it's more than a sprained knee.  Also, I wouldn't want to fight someone like Condit if I wasn't 100%, especially if it's a problem with the legs.

This is absurd. First, let's remember the fight's off because of GSP, not Condit, so don't blame him. Also, I don't think Condit ever turned down a fight with Koscheck, Dana and the UFC nipped that in the bud and said Condit will still fight GSP when the time is right. IIRC, Koscheck sent Dana a tweet once word got out that GSP was out and a bunch of media outlets ran with it. I doubt Condit was ever offered the fight to begin with. Once again, not Condit's fault, don't blame him. Besides, you can't expect someone to go from fighting for a title one day, to fighting a top 3 ranked WW on 11-days notice just to make few people happy.

I don't understand why anyone would even want him to take that fight anyways other than instant gratification. Think about the ramifications of this in the longrun. What if both Diaz and Condit both lose at 137, which is very possible. Who does that leave for GSP? Two of the top, new contenders (Diaz and Condit) take a huge step back and guys like Penn and Koscheck, who have already faced GSP twice move closer. Seriously, who wants to see that? How about a rematch with Fitch? Yeah, that sounds fantastic.
laugh.gif

Unless Condit gets hurt leading up to the fight with GSP, you can't compare this to the Rashad situation. Granted that Rashad eventually had to fight, let's not forget why he's not currently fighting for the title. That reason being he took that fight with Tito and hurt himself in the process. Assuming Condit took the fight with Koscheck and even manages to win, it's still not worth potentially sustaining an injury and missing extended time. When GSP is ready to fight, he'll fight and if Condit is hurt, then he's definitely not getting the next crack at the title.

I'm not too sure exactly how these guys' contracts are set-up or how much money they make in certain situations, but if I had to guess, Condit will make significantly more money being a headliner fighting GSP. Hell, for all we know, this fight could get rescheduled for the next FOX event and Condit could probably make more off of sponsorships alone than him taking a risky contender fight at 137. Last of all, I don't understand why people are acting like Condit isn't deserving. Nick screwed himself over and Condit was the next closest in-line. He was only one fight (albeit a tough one) away from a title shot anyways.

Yeah, Dana was the one who wants Condit to wait until GSP heals up.  It would make no sense for him to fight next week when he was up for a title shot.  He just has to wait another month or two.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

ZeroHedge (!) ran a piece on MMA:

http://www.zerohedge.com/...ort-next-marketing-level
Interesting piece, but
eyes.gif
@ this.

Furthermore, sure St. Pierre may give up some size advantage to Anderson Silva, but St. Pierre would have a speed and quickness advantage coming from the 170 pound welterweight division.

GSP really has no way to win this fight. I don't see him holding Spider down for five rounds. Anderson walks around at 200+ lbs and GSP doesn't have a speed or quickness advantage vs. Silva. Silva is a big middleweight, and also destroys top 10 light heavyweights (see: Forrest Griffin). If this fight happens, Silva will be a massive favorite and if he isn't, I'd bet the farm on him.

gsp_silva.jpg

^
After the Vitor fight, I came to the realization that GSP would have no chance.  Anderson can pull matrix moves out of nowhere.  GSP can't jab his way to victory, he would get decapitated in the standup.  Henderson is a great wrestler as well and did good for a round but got finished in the 2nd.  Maybe if was fearless like Sonnen is and just goes after him and is relentless but George is way too cautious.

Sonnen is a huge MW. There's no way I see GSP using that gameplan on Anderson. GSP said himself that he would need a string of warm up fights at MW. I'm not sure how much weight he cuts, but Sonnen can use that strategy because he's huge. GSP has to set things up in the stand up first and we all know that isn't gonna happen.

I for one would rather see a whole lotta other fights happen with Anderson before GSP

I was watching countdown to ufc 137.. wondering why they are not promoting gsp v Carlos?

So I hop on niketalk.. and got the answer. .

laugh.gif
man,  we're still discussing GSP/Silva? just let it go now. It's been almost a year since we started talking about it (and the whole MMA world) but it's clearly not going to happen.

Just discuss what Firaz had talked about on Sherdog radio, about GSP moving down to 155. It's a more realistic and attainable goal.

Just a couple of things I read the past few days:

Viacom will be moving Bellator to Spike TV and will be airing on the station in 2013.

The UFC on FOX 1 full undercard will be streaming live on facebook.com and fox.com.

Jon Anik, who is the host of ESPN's MMA Live, just got signed by the UFC. He will start with the UFC in January and will serve as play-by-play commentator for live UFC programming on FX, and will play a role in TUF when it switches to FX.

^
I like Anik, he was very good on MMA Live.  I haven't watched the show regularly in a year because it's always late in the morning from getting pushed back or doesn't air at all.  The video section on the website sucks too and I just want to watch full episodes.

It'll be good to hear a fresh voice join the announcing team.

I've been reading Cage Potato and their stories on steven seagal are crazy.  I've never really read up on him but he sounds like a super douche.  He's kicked stuntmen and other actors in the nuts doing rehearsals just to see if they're wearing cups, and has injured people on purpose practicing moves.  Steven Quadros said he came up to him on a movie set and put him in a wristlock and he had to keep reversing him for a minute until he stopped 
laugh.gif
.  I think there was a video of him training Anderson and yelling at him and hitting him with some stiff kicks or whatever.

im hoping Roy gets his bearded head knocked off by Cro Cop.

So Amped for this weekend! Finally got my tickets in hand and ready to go for tomorrow. I just need a find a way to kill the next 4 hrs at the office before I can go to the airport.

That's awesome that the Fox undercard will be airing on FB/Fox.com. Along with the Bendo/Guida fight, as a TUF fan I'll be watching the Clay Harvison and Alex Caceres fights. This is likely Bruce Leeroy's last shot in the UFC, will be interesting to see if the drop to Bantamweight does anything for him.

Originally Posted by shogun

^
After the Vitor fight, I came to the realization that GSP would have no chance.  Anderson can pull matrix moves out of nowhere.  GSP can't jab his way to victory, he would get decapitated in the standup.  Henderson is a great wrestler as well and did good for a round but got finished in the 2nd.  Maybe if was fearless like Sonnen is and just goes after him and is relentless but George is way too cautious.

No chance?  Come on.  He has a chance.  Maybe not a good chance, but still.

Him being too cautious might serve him well.  That's how Chael got submitted in the 5th, by not being cautious enough.  GSP wouldn't try to strike with Silva, you'd have to be stupid or overconfident in your ability to do that, and GSP is neither.  He'd try to take him down, probably succeed a few times, and try to control him on the ground.

For 137, call me crazy, but I think Diaz is going to roll over Penn.  He hasn't faced anyone at the level of Penn, true.  But he's way bigger than BJ and isn't afraid to stand and trade with anyone.  Penn has quit before and his cardio isn't the greatest.  Hyped to see this one though.

Back
Top Bottom