Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

2r4kdnm.jpg

Originally Posted by ludex360

Gsp doesn't take risk anymore. He'll just take him down and blanket him to get the decision.

Every time he signs the fight contract and steps into the octagon he's taking that risk.  It's up to the challengers to beat him and so far, nobody has been able to, or even come close. 

The thing about Diaz is his style and pace.  People seem afraid to go after GSP, but Diaz sure wouldn't be.  So GSP would probably be forced to take him down and make it ugly.  Diaz makes for entertaining fights now, but I'd hate to see him 15-20 years down the road.  He takes a lot of damage to dish out more, but it's going to take a toll on him the way he doesn't mind taking damage.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

He is pretty good at 155 with cardio. And he could beat if he would just try to take him down from the jump 

If he was that good then this move to Welterweight should have not happened and he would've probably fought at 155lbs tonight.

BJ was immensely bigger compared to the others when he dropped to 155lbs. If he had "good" cardio then he would have not lost 2 fights with Edgar (especially the 2nd time around). His size + strength @ 155 gave him that edge but I wouldn't call that cardio close to being excellent. It's just good and it's evident he had to finish fights at the earlier rounds at that class.

On the flip side, when he gets @ 170 and gets past the 2nd round: what happens? St Pierre and Diaz went on rounds 3,4,5 and it's all unanimous. Let's also put those 2 Edgar fights that went to distance. He was able to pull out wins mostly with the 1st and 2nd rounds (notably that Hughes fight recently).

Simply put: eversince he made this "comeback" in the UFC, his cardio has been trash in the Octagon. When I saw that underwater cardio regimen he had for the GSP fight I was laughing my butt off (running underwater while carrying huge rocks!
eek.gif
). I knew it wasn't going to do anything.

Anyhow, enough of that cardio talk. Good riddance to those 2 fighters who retired tonight.

Also, when's Mousasi(is he part of the "deal"?) and the "others" going to the UFC?

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

GSP don't want no parts of Diaz's boxing.
laugh.gif

You sure about that? GSP's boxing has improved immensely (though he did look poor against Shields) I think he'd hold his own. Overall he is the more effective and better striker, plus you know damn well GSP would take Diaz down and keep him there. This is GSP we're talking about.
GSP is the more effective and better striker?

HIGHLY questionable.

It's official.  Condit is out.  Diaz is in.  Diaz vs. GSP is back on.

GSP on Diaz: "he's the most disrespectful human being I've ever met and I'm going to put the worst beating on him." 
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Tough talk from the GSP but we all know he's gonna lay on him for five rounds.   If he gets bold and stands with Nick we're gonna have ourselves a new champ.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

GSP don't want no parts of Diaz's boxing.
laugh.gif

You sure about that? GSP's boxing has improved immensely (though he did look poor against Shields) I think he'd hold his own. Overall he is the more effective and better striker, plus you know damn well GSP would take Diaz down and keep him there. This is GSP we're talking about.
GSP is the more effective and better striker?

HIGHLY questionable.

Have you seen the combinations GSP puts together? It's not just that patented GSP jab, he has a myriad of kicks that Diaz has no way of defending. GSP could take the fight out of Diaz simply with his elusiveness and counter striking, Diaz wouldn't know what to do and that's when he'd get taken down and blanketed.

It's completely asinine to think that Diaz is capable of competently doing anything that could stop the fight from playing out any other way than this scenario. Diaz is and has always been a slow starter, GSP loves controlling the tempo of his fights. He starts measuring you up with that jab and then comes those kicks and then it's ground, where Diaz will be all night long, round after round after round.....

/kanyeshrug 

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Dana needs to cuss out Condit and tell him he needs to fight Kos next Saturday. Everybody fighter should use Rashad as an example and ask him how much money he forgave the past year. And, I don't understand why he should be waiting for GSP, it wasn't his title shot in the first place.

I hope Diaz runs over BJ, screws over Carlos and gets his shot back.

hate to say it but I told you so. In the fight business, you are only good as your last fight. Diaz looks like the clear cut #1 contender and condit should have answered and fought kos. If you are healthy, you need to fight, nothing is written in stone. People need to learn you can't wait around for a title shot.

Originally Posted by DeezyVSOP

Penn went stationery against the fence, and that's when he really started losing the fight.  When he pushed forward and controlled the cage, he at least held his own.
This. I don't get how people don't see that you need to circle off the fence against Diaz or it's all bad. Daley was winning a good deal of the stand up until Diaz pushed him against the fence. BJ was doing much better when he was moving forward in the first.

Have you seen the combinations GSP puts together? It's not just that patented GSP jab, he has a myriad of kicks that Diaz has no way of defending. GSP could take the fight out of Diaz simply with his elusiveness and counter striking, Diaz wouldn't know what to do and that's when he'd get taken down and blanketed.

It's completely asinine to think that Diaz is capable of competently doing anything that could stop the fight from playing out any other way than this scenario. Diaz is and has always been a slow starter, GSP loves controlling the tempo of his fights. He starts measuring you up with that jab and then comes those kicks and then it's ground, where Diaz will be all night long, round after round after round.....

/kanyeshrug 
Wow, hop off
laugh.gif

That *##! sounds like a middle school love letter. Diaz's ground game is superb. George Safe Pierre hasn't been interesting in a long while. You must be a DIE HARD fan of the jab. And let's not forget this is the same guy who got KO'ed by MATT SERRA. If the Terra can knock out GSP, Nick Diaz most certainly can. This fight will most likely be five rounds of GSP blanketing Diaz and throwing Guida-esque shoulder punches.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

2r4kdnm.jpg
pimp.gif
frown.gif

I hope BJ doesn't stay retired.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

/kanyeshrug 
Wow, hop off
laugh.gif

That *##! sounds like a middle school love letter. Diaz's ground game is superb. George Safe Pierre hasn't been interesting in a long while. You must be a DIE HARD fan of the jab. And let's not forget this is the same guy who got KO'ed by MATT SERRA. If the Terra can knock out GSP, Nick Diaz most certainly can. This fight will most likely be five rounds of GSP blanketing Diaz and throwing Guida-esque shoulder punches.

Firstly, chill with the homoerotic innuendo you weirdo, it's 2012 (just about). 
Secondly anyone could get KO'd by anyone else in the UFC, you're basing GSP's striking aptitude based on a fight that happened five years ago. He has obviously improved and his a completely different class of striker now. 
laugh.gif
 If you think GSP only has a jab, you seriously sound like a GSP hater. I'm actually a fan of both Diaz and GSP but when regarding the two fighting (or any two fighters fighting) I'm going to give my objective "2 cents". Sorry if the picture I painted got under your fanboy skin. Truth is GSP is a complete fighter and you're just hating just to hate. You make that so clear by comparing GSP's striking to Guida's based on their jabs. 
laugh.gif
 They're nothing alike, Guida is like a monkey on cocaine, GSP uses his jab to frustrate opponents and measure up his kicks. Stop acting like you've never seen a GSP fight, you're smarter than that. Make yourself sound foolish.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

He is pretty good at 155 with cardio. And he could beat if he would just try to take him down from the jump 
If he was that good then this move to Welterweight should have not happened and he would've probably fought at 155lbs tonight.

BJ was immensely bigger compared to the others when he dropped to 155lbs. If he had "good" cardio then he would have not lost 2 fights with Edgar (especially the 2nd time around). His size + strength @ 155 gave him that edge but I wouldn't call that cardio close to being excellent. It's just good and it's evident he had to finish fights at the earlier rounds at that class.

On the flip side, when he gets @ 170 and gets past the 2nd round: what happens? St Pierre and Diaz went on rounds 3,4,5 and it's all unanimous. Let's also put those 2 Edgar fights that went to distance. He was able to pull out wins mostly with the 1st and 2nd rounds (notably that Hughes fight recently).

Simply put: eversince he made this "comeback" in the UFC, his cardio has been trash in the Octagon. When I saw that underwater cardio regimen he had for the GSP fight I was laughing my butt off (running underwater while carrying huge rocks!
eek.gif
). I knew it wasn't going to do anything.

Anyhow, enough of that cardio talk. Good riddance to those 2 fighters who retired tonight.

Also, when's Mousasi(is he part of the "deal"?) and the "others" going to the UFC?

With all due respect, you're wrong. BJ is not "huge" compared to other 155lbers. He cuts on average around 6-8 pounds to make that weight. On fight night he was always around 161-163. He could have come in even lighter but his coaches felt that took away from his strength. And he fought guys like Sherk who cuts 15+, Florian cutting 10+ at the time, Diego 13+. BJ could make $*%!**% 145 if he tried. 
I still say he beat Edgar and the judges gifted Edgar the first fight, and he lost Edgar mainly because he had the dumbest gameplan I have ever seen. He only tried to take Edgar down really later in those fights, he letting Frankie buzz around him and "score points". Frankie did zero damage to BJ. 

He beat Kenny and Diego in championship rounds and beat Sherk in the third. So I don't know where you got the whole first two round thing.

Last George has always soften BJ up by wrestling with him first to tiring him down. Any fighter, and I mean any fighter that has to carry around a dude that weight 20 pounds more than them are going to gas. 

Since his comeback he has only gassed at fight at 170. And I that's because he doesn't run as much so he can kept his weight at around 170. Simple. At 155 he does much more cardio training.  

-He should go back to 155 only if he is motivated, and I doubt he ever will be fully again. Dude hates being away from his family and has nothing more to prove. BJ Penn is a legend in my book and I'm very sad to see him go. Has more balls that every other fighter that has ever stepped into the Ocatgon 

I dislike GSP because of his obvious greasing during his second fight with Penn. Georges has been fighting the safe fight for long enough.

Anyone can get KO'ed by anyone? Name someone who has KO'ed Anderson Silva. Name someone who has KO'ed BJ Penn. Name someone who has KO'ed Jon Jones.

Name someone who has KO'ed Nick Diaz.
laugh.gif

I think the point is the KO by Serra was more of a fluke than anything else. The rematch was a more accurate representation of the skill set of each fighter.

It did show GSP doesn't have the greatest chin though. Edgar got rocked a bunch of times by Maynard and hung on to gut it out.

Still, GSP is by far the most intelligent and talented fighter Diaz will have ever faced. Penn didn't execute his game plan well, if he had one. GSP is obviously way more athletic and well-rounded, he actually has the tools to soundly beat Diaz. I'm sure Penn will have an opinion as to who will come out on top, since he fought both.

Condit is the one who's really getting screwed here. First he's supposed to fight Penn, which would have been good. Then he gets a title shot, GSP gets hurt, and now GSP/Diaz is happening next. I hope the UFC paid him some serious cash or something.

I dislike GSP because of his obvious greasing during his second fight with Penn. Georges has been fighting the safe fight for long enough.

Anyone can get KO'ed by anyone? Name someone who has KO'ed Anderson Silva. Name someone who has KO'ed BJ Penn. Name someone who has KO'ed Jon Jones.

Name someone who has KO'ed Nick Diaz.
laugh.gif
None of those dudes have been KO'd but are you seriously saying that they're impervious to being KO'd. 
roll.gif
 Secondly it's ******ed that you're basing GSP's striking aptitude (or ineptitude) based on the fact that he's been knocked out. Okay so then by that logic Lyoto Machida, Mirko Cro cop, Chuck Liddell, Shogun Rua and a litany of other fighters are also inept at striking. HORRIBLE ARGUMENT. 
BTW Silva was KO'd as a professional boxer.

None of those dudes have been KO'd but are you seriously saying that they're impervious to being KO'd. 
roll.gif
 Secondly it's ******ed that you're basing GSP's striking aptitude (or ineptitude) based on the fact that he's been knocked out. Okay so then by that logic Lyoto Machida, Mirko Cro cop, Chuck Liddell, Shogun Rua and a litany of other fighters are also inept at striking. HORRIBLE ARGUMENT. 
Lyoto Machida has only been KO'ed by Shogun. Shogun has only been KO'ed by Jon Jones. Cro Cop and Chuck's chin deteriorated with age.

GSP in his prime got knocked out by Matt Serra.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
His chin has been tested, and it has been found to be lacking.

"it's ******ed that you're basing GSP's striking aptitude (or ineptitude) based on the fact that he's been knocked out."
No, what's ******ed is you thinking that's what I said. I said GSP can be knocked out... see look, MATT SERRA did it.

Why are you talking about boxing?

roll.gif
Lyoto Machida has only been KO'ed by Shogun. Shogun has only been KO'ed by Jon Jones. Cro Cop and Chuck's chin deteriorated with age.

GSP in his prime got knocked out by Matt Serra.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
His chin has been tested, and it has been found to be lacking.

"it's ******ed that you're basing GSP's striking aptitude (or ineptitude) based on the fact that he's been knocked out."
No, what's ******ed is you thinking that's what I said. I said GSP can be knocked out... see look, MATT SERRA did it.

Why are you talking about boxing?
WOW you implied that GSP was ineffective as a striker with your retort to my original post. I never said GSP had a God almighty chin I said he was a good striker and was a more effective striker and you were all like "derpy derp how can that be he got knocked out my Terra"....Guess what Shogun (he was being touted as being back in his Pride form) and Machida were both in their primes when they each got KO'd. Same with a prime Cro Cop when he got KO'd by Randleman. TONS of elite strikers have gotten KTFO. That was the point you were trying to convey right? GSP isn't a good striker because he got KO'd, fool that's what you retorted with. If that isn't your argument then I don't know what the point is you're trying to make, oh golly gee GSP can be KO'd, cookie? Point is he is a different caliber of fighter, he is far more elusive than he once was and his counterstriking is much improved. He shows far better movement than Diaz and has a wider skill-set in just about every category INCLUDING stand-up. If the only thing you have to say is that Diaz's only chance of winning is a Terra like KO then fine, base his chances of winning on an anomaly. A fight that went down as probably the biggest fluke win in MMA history. Hell I don't think Serra himself still can believe the fact he pulled that off 
laugh.gif
Secondly derp, the point I was conveying is that anyone can be kayoed. Boxing is a combat sport no? Silva has to be kayoed in MMA to make my point valid? And a guy has to be kayoed multiple times for the point to be driven home to you I guess (anyone can be kayoed). Guess what GSP has only been KO'd by Serra. 

laugh.gif
 You make absolutely no sense bro, go to sleep.

hate to say it but I told you so. In the fight business, you are only good as your last fight. Diaz looks like the clear cut #1 contender and condit should have answered and fought kos. If you are healthy, you need to fight, nothing is written in stone. People need to learn you can't wait around for a title shot.
No he shouldn't have.  Why would he fight last night if George will be healed up and ready to go in a couple of months?  If Condit suffered an injury he would've waited a lot longer than that.  Plus Dana said he would still get his shot, but we should all know Dana's word is only good half the time.  Condit did as he was told and people usually listen to the boss.  Diaz talking crap and GSP begging Dana to fight him changed everything.  Dana talked to him and Condit agreed to step aside and he'll face the winner.  He asked to still fight on the card.

Originally Posted by shogun

No he shouldn't have.  Why would he fight last night if George will be healed up and ready to go in a couple of months?  If Condit suffered an injury he would've waited a lot longer than that.  Plus Dana said he would still get his shot, but we should all know Dana's word is only good half the time.  Condit did as he was told and people usually listen to the boss.  Diaz talking crap and GSP begging Dana to fight him changed everything.  Dana talked to him and Condit agreed to step aside and he'll face the winner.  He asked to still fight on the card.
You just mad, because I was right the entire time while everybody was dogging on me.

dude you seriously believe anything dana says.  Who knows maybe Condit was the one who wanted to wait and Dana covered him? You ever thought about that. If Condit wanted to step up and fight, he would of let him fight. Condit vs Kos would of saved 137. Carlos volunteering to step aside? You know he didn't want to be in the same doghouse as Rashad and Fitch. Injury??? C'mon son, you are as likely to get injured in training as much in an actual fight.

Everybody and their mom knew if Diaz blew by BJ, he was getting the shot. Ask anybody, Diaz and GSP was the fight they want to see. Goldberg and Rogan pretty much confirmed it at the end of last night's fight by suggesting it. Plus, how did Condit deserve a title shot by beating Dong Hyum Kim. Get out of here with that garbage. Beating Dong Hyum Kim equals title shot.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
. Defeating Kos in the main event of would solidify his status as #1 contender. Pettis step up and fought the Carpenter when everyone doubt him, and everybody is right when he lost.

Dana is making this fight simply because dollars makes sense, not just because GSP wants it. Nick Diaz vs GSP equals at least 800,000 plus PPV buys and a sold out MGM Grand/mandalay. 137 is going to do horrible numbers, they already lost $8.5 million in ticket refunds and are only getting 225,000-250,000 buys for this event. You think Dana and Zuffa are happy about that? Diaz vs GSP is going to most anticipated fight in recent memory, well until Sonnen Vs Silva 2.

You're acting like you're Nostradamus or something.  You didn't even predict anything, you said what you thought should happen.  Most of us were saying that Condit did what was best for him when he thought he should wait.  He made the logical choice, the choice most of us would make if we were in his shoes.  We don't know how things will play out, he could be waiting forever for his chance like Rashad has been doing.  If they match him up with Fitch then he'll probably never see the belt.  Condit is a legit contender and one of the few left that won't be rematches.  You sound like the other guy who used to post in here and toot his own horn.

did anyone watch the post fight press conference? I just watched it on ufc.com. There was so much tension between Nick Diaz and Dana White. I kind of feel bad for Nick, he sounded really frustrated about life, not being compensated and not having the right people in his camp to help him out.

Originally Posted by chino905

did anyone watch the post fight press conference? I just watched it on ufc.com. There was so much tension between Nick Diaz and Dana White. I kind of feel bad for Nick, he sounded really frustrated about life, not being compensated and not having the right people in his camp to help him out.
Nick is one of my favorite fighters, but dude is straight up nuts. I love when he goes off on tangents, like when he started talking about dudes looking for cigarettes on his lawn
laugh.gif
He looked all mad when he got the title shot. That interview was classic Nick Diaz. He is legitimately paranoid, talking about people filming him and stuff. Check out the 25 minute interview he did with Helwani before the fight.

Back
Top Bottom