Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

@CaptainCrown

Dude, I still don't see your point. Condit fighting and beating Koscheck at 137 proves nothing. At this point, it seems pretty obvious he would've still been bumped out of the title fight. It's a good thing that he didn't fight, because then he'd have to wait even longer before he got a crack at the belt. He'd have to wait for the Diaz fight to happen and then he'd have to wait for GSP/Diaz to heal up. That's what cracks me up about your logic. You're against him waiting, but the route you expected him to take would have involved more waiting. I don't get it, unless you expect him to continuously take more risky contender fights for no reason other than to stay somewhat active. Now, he'll probably fight on the same card as Diaz/GSP and their schedules should meet up assuming he wins. With that said, even though he's out of the title fight, I still think him fighting on the upcoming Diaz/GSP card is better than him fighting at 137 under the circumstances, so it is what it is.

Stop trying to discredit Condit. Once again, let me remind you of a few things that you seem to conveniently like to ignore: 1. Diaz didn't take care of his obligations and the UFC bumped him out of the fight with GSP. The UFC needed a replacement, Condit stepped-in. 2. GSP was the one who pulled out of the fight, not Condit. 3. The UFC made the decision not to go through with the Koscheck fight, that wasn't Condit's choice. 4. If Diaz lost, then we wouldn't even be discussing this still. There was also no guarantee Condit would win the fight with Koscheck at 137. In hindsight, the worst scenario possible happened to Condit, but him fighting at 137 didn't improve, only diminished his odds at a title shot. Diaz losing was the only factor.

Condit has done nothing wrong in this situation, as far as I can tell. It's not his fault that other fighters created drama, got injured, etc. Regardless of what happened around him, he took whatever was offered to him and did what the UFC told him to do. I get it, DHK isn't Penn, but you said it yourself, you're only as good as your last fight. If I recall Condit knocked-out DHK in devastating fashion. DHK was a top contender at that point and was undefeated. Condit has also recently defeated guys like Ellenberger and MacDonald, who are emerging as top contenders, as well. I don't understand why people think he's so undeserving.

Besides, the scenario you brought up wasn't that farfetched, we all knew it was a possibility, but that doesn't make it right. Condit shouldn't have to pay for the unfortunate events that happened to other fighters, which you seem to think so. That's my whole problem with everything you're saying. You have this sense of entitlement like Condit owes you something because his opponent got hurt less than two weeks before the fight. Condit got the raw end of the deal because now he currently doesn't even have a fight lined-up at all.

These two heavyweights are so humble. Cain still mopping floors at the gym at the end of each day even though he's the champ.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by chino905

did anyone watch the post fight press conference? I just watched it on ufc.com. There was so much tension between Nick Diaz and Dana White. I kind of feel bad for Nick, he sounded really frustrated about life, not being compensated and not having the right people in his camp to help him out.
Nick is one of my favorite fighters, but dude is straight up nuts. I love when he goes off on tangents, like when he started talking about dudes looking for cigarettes on his lawn
laugh.gif
He looked all mad when he got the title shot. That interview was classic Nick Diaz. He is legitimately paranoid, talking about people filming him and stuff. Check out the 25 minute interview he did with Helwani before the fight.
He's an awesome fighter, but man, he's gotta get his act together outside fighting.  Doesn't know how to buy a house?  Dana was absolutely right when he said Diaz has enough money to move.  Diaz even said his brother moved, so why can't he?  That's crazy dedication that he trains 24/7, but man, when the money comes in, so will the vultures. 

About the KO's, the bottom line is anyone can lose to anyone in any fight.  The probabilities are what's different for each fight, but there's ALWAYS a chance that an elite level fighter can lose to someone at a much lower level.  You think Anderson Silva would give GSP crap for getting knocked out by Serra?  Although Silva didn't get knocked out, I'm sure he still remembers his fight with Ryo Chonan.

Originally Posted by DeezyVSOP

He's an awesome fighter, but man, he's gotta get his act together outside fighting.  Doesn't know how to buy a house?  Dana was absolutely right when he said Diaz has enough money to move.  Diaz even said his brother moved, so why can't he?  That's crazy dedication that he trains 24/7, but man, when the money comes in, so will the vultures. 

About the KO's, the bottom line is anyone can lose to anyone in any fight.  The probabilities are what's different for each fight, but there's ALWAYS a chance that an elite level fighter can lose to someone at a much lower level.  You think Anderson Silva would give GSP crap for getting knocked out by Serra?  Although Silva didn't get knocked out, I'm sure he still remembers his fight with Ryo Chonan.
Nick is the definition of a prizefighter. Dude obviously doesn't love MMA, he just happens to be really good at it. I'm ok with that as long as he keeps on fighting the way he does. I seriously think Nick might be mildly autistic or have sort of mental issue, but that just adds to his mystique.

And the KO thing, I was just being a ****
laugh.gif
GSP is a machine in every aspect, but my point is that your chin is more than QUESTIONABLE if you get knocked out by Matt Serra. That's almost like getting submitted by Pat Barry.

I just checked out the 25 min interview with Nick and Ariel. Lol Nick just kept talking and talking. He has to surround himself around more positive people though. He seems like a chill dude. All he does is train and smoke lol.

Donald Cerrone will be facing Nate Diaz at UFC141. Should be an entertaining fight.

Originally Posted by natrix916

wonder how much fools lost goin for bj
$365 for me.  damn that was heartbreaking.  i was so amped up to see BJ fight live for the first time, so it was really bittersweet to find out that it might be his last fight of his career.

quick pic i shot with my phone

303980_10150371499664000_613608999_8118675_2112602338_n.jpg

Mojo, looks like you had really good seats. It is sad that BJ may be done but something tells me he'll be back and maybe rejoin the LW division if Edgar is dethroned next year.

Looking ahead, I can't wait for Cain/JDS and really hopeful that fight ends in the 1st or 2nd rd so they can show Bendo/Guida. Would like to see Ben knockout Guida and get the next titleshot at LW.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

You sure about that? GSP's boxing has improved immensely (though he did look poor against Shields) I think he'd hold his own. Overall he is the more effective and better striker, plus you know damn well GSP would take Diaz down and keep him there. This is GSP we're talking about.
GSP is the more effective and better striker?

HIGHLY questionable.

Have you seen the combinations GSP puts together? It's not just that patented GSP jab, he has a myriad of kicks that Diaz has no way of defending. GSP could take the fight out of Diaz simply with his elusiveness and counter striking, Diaz wouldn't know what to do and that's when he'd get taken down and blanketed.

It's completely asinine to think that Diaz is capable of competently doing anything that could stop the fight from playing out any other way than this scenario. Diaz is and has always been a slow starter, GSP loves controlling the tempo of his fights. He starts measuring you up with that jab and then comes those kicks and then it's ground, where Diaz will be all night long, round after round after round.....

/kanyeshrug 
I have seen GSP's combinations. Combinations are not the only element to being a great striker. Nick puts together combos as well if not better than GSP. GSP certainly doesn't work the body like Nick does. Maybe GSP has a myriad of kicks, but I can't remember seeing him use them effectively in any recent fights. 
Maybe I fell asleep though. 

GSP's head movement is also a bit stiff to be an "elite" striker. 

I don't know if that tangent you flew off on thereafter was directed at me or what.

But I have a hard time believing that GSP is a more effective and better striker when Nick wins and FINISHES fights with strikes. By outstriking STRIKERS (BJ is an elite MMA Boxer, Paul Daley). While GSP wins them by either outwrestling his opponents, or jabbing them to a decision. 

Donald Cerrone will be facing Nate Diaz at UFC141. Should be an entertaining fight.
I was hoping that would be cerrone's next match up.  A matchup of 2 knuckleheads.  I dislike both but dislike Diaz less and hope he wins.

Some of the salaries from UFC 137 ‘Penn vs. Diaz’ :

Nick Diaz $200,000

B.J. Penn $150,000

Cheick Kongo $140,000
(Includes $70,000 win bonus) 

Matt Mitrione $10,000

Roy Nelson $40,000
(Includes $20,000 win bonus) 

Mirko Filipovic $75,000

Scott Jorgensen $33,000
(Includes $16,500 win bonus) 

Jeff Curran $8,000

Hatsu Hioki $30,000
(Includes $15,000 win bonus) 

George Roop $8,000

Donald Cerrone $54,000
(Includes $27,000 win bonus) [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
Tyson Griffin $25,500

Brandon Vera $120,000
(Includes $60,000 win bonus)

Originally Posted by shogun

I was hoping that would be cerrone's next match up.  A matchup of 2 knuckleheads.  I dislike both but dislike Diaz less and hope he wins.
I HATE Cowboy's personality, but man... dude can really fight. Just makes me realize that Bendo really is that good. And people need to stop lumping Nick and Nate together. Nate is my #1 favorite fighter (since TUF) and dude actually seems like he's not a complete nutjob. I said what's up to him, Gil and Jake at the SF show when Nick fought Noons.

Originally Posted by jayt206

Mojo, looks like you had really good seats. It is sad that BJ may be done but something tells me he'll be back and maybe rejoin the LW division if Edgar is dethroned next year.
Yeah, those seats look awesome. I also believe BJ will be back fighting in the UFC whenever Frankie loses the belt. BJ vs. Gil would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by shogun

I HATE Cowboy's personality, but man... dude can really fight. Just makes me realize that Bendo really is that good. And people need to stop lumping Nick and Nate together. Nate is my #1 favorite fighter (since TUF) and dude actually seems like he's not a complete nutjob. I said what's up to him, Gil and Jake at the SF show when Nick fought Noons.
Yeah, cerrone has improved so much and is very dangerous in the division.  I hate the dude but I won't deny that he's moving toward the tops of the division.  I don't think the Diaz boys are that bad, I hear they're very nice to fans and chill outside of fighting.  It's just when it's time to fight and be under the spotlight they start acting like fools.  You can say the same for most fighters but it seems real genuine coming from the Diaz brothers.  I think Nate sort of follows what Nick does.  The rest of the Cesar Gracie team are usually level headed.  I don't think i've actually ever seen Cesar Gracie until I saw a video interview with him yesterday.  I used to always think their grey-haired chubby boxing coach was him.

Yeah, those seats look awesome. I also believe BJ will be back fighting in the UFC whenever Frankie loses the belt. BJ vs. Gil would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif
man i was so disheartened by the fight that i dont even wanna see BJ fight Gil.  I think at this stage, unless BJ gets his head right, Gil would smash him.

edit:

and yes, the seats were pretty damn awesome.  but again, bittersweet.  it was awesome enough where i got to see my dude BJ get his face smashed in.  for shame.    

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Aldo is facing Mendes at UFC 142. Rumble is also moving up to MW to fight Vitor on that card, as well. Dude is probably gonna be huge for MW, let alone WW, it's about time he moved up. 
laugh.gif

shogun wrote:

I don't think i've actually ever seen Cesar Gracie until I saw a video interview with him yesterday. I used to always think their grey-haired chubby boxing coach was him.

You must have missed this gem then:

Ah, the Gracie's and their towels. 
laugh.gif

Diaz got payback on ol' Frank, though.

Originally Posted by justscrap

Does anybody think Rumble Johnson moving up makes him a top 10 MW? 
possibly?

but that top 10 talk will be all for naught after Vitor smashes him.

Originally Posted by justscrap

Does anybody think Rumble Johnson moving up makes him a top 10 MW? 

Hard to say. Gonna have to see what happens at 142 first. He has a big test in front of him.

Dude is absolutely enormous and like I said, it's nice to see him finally move up. I'm not sure about the timing, though. He had a lot of momentum going at WW and his weight cut didn't seem like it was affecting him as of late. He'll still probably end up being a big MW, but he obviously wont have that huge size advantage against Vitor that he had against the WWs (although he still should have a significant size advantage).

I'm just wondering how much he's gonna keep it standing with Vitor. I think he's gonna try implementing the Hardy gameplan on him. I actually think Rumble can take this.

Back
Top Bottom