Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

As much as I hate to say it, BJ can switch camps, change his training, etc., but it's not gonna change the fact that he's almost 32 and he's been a pro fighter since 2001. He's just too old now.

1st live event last night, had a hell of a time. Outside of Randy Couture, local kid made good Joe Lauzon got the biggest reaction, maybe even more so than The Natural. Card didnt really pan out like I'd hoped but just being there made it worth it.

Penn loss?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by sneakerhead24

does anyone know who is fighting in 119?

-Frank Mir vs. Mirko Cro Cop
-Minotauro Nogueira vs. Ryan Bader
-Matt Serra vs. Chris Lytle
-Sean Sherk vs. Evan Dunham
-Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens
The fight card has a few more matches. But I listed the majority of it, just go to the UFC's website and you can find the rest of the fight card. Along with 120, and 121.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

As much as I hate to say it, BJ can switch camps, change his training, etc., but it's not gonna change the fact that he's almost 32 and he's been a pro fighter since 2001. He's just too old now.

For full disclosure, I want to preface by saying I am a BJ fanboy so my opinion may be skewed.

Although BJ is 32 and has been in the game for a decade, its not like he has a ton of fights under his belt.  I dont think hes done by any stretch and can still get back to form destroying dudes left and right.  You did hit upon a good point though.  BJ needs a new camp.  I mean *%%$... what was the strategy going into the fight?  Its like his gameplan was to go in there and play it by ear.  For F's sake man.  The reason I thought BJ would steamroll Edgar was because I assumed (incorrectly) that BJ would employ a LOGICAL GAMEPLAN.

Fact - Edgar cant hurt BJ.  Well not in the sense that he's going to KO him or as Rogan like to say.... "rock" him.  BJ proved it (about the only thing he did prove) when his fat coconut head took countless clean shots from Edgar.

If BJ, his camp, and pretty much everyone outside of Toms River, NJ knows that BJ can take Edgars best shot and keep coming forward,  why stay on the outside and try to turn this into a mothafriggin boxing match against someone who clearly has an exponential speed advantage over you?  Maybe I expected to much out of him.  From a fans perspective, I thought BJs path to victory was to close the distance, clinch, dirtybox/knees + press him up against the cage, and physically wear him down and avoid the takedown.  Do the exact same thing that GSP did to him.  Neutralize that speed.  Neutralize Edgars shots/takedowns.  Stay on top of him like a blanket.  But no, he has to sit there, plod around while trying to counter, and fight the exact same fight he did the first time around.

Yes I am heated.

Yes it ruined my weekend.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UFC 123
Machida-Rampage
PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS

Does anyone know how early UFC tickets are on sale?

There's always been trend in American MMA that really favors the wrestler, and in the last couple years it's become put there right in front of our eyes. 

Because take downs and "control" score so well, there really isn't a reason to change it up.  I think because of people that gameplan so well like Randy and every wrestler coming out of Jackson MMA, there's going to be an equal and opposite reaction from those that specialize in other arts.  The only way you nullify these wrestlers is either with superior "reverse wrestling" or a really active guard. Or of course you could just knock them out.

People might think that it's boring, but I think it's just another step in the maturation of MMA as a sport.  The constant fight of one discipline/martial art to become better forces other disciplines/martial arts to continue to improve.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

There's always been trend in American MMA that really favors the wrestler, and in the last couple years it's become put there right in front of our eyes. 

Because take downs and "control" score so well, there really isn't a reason to change it up.  I think because of people that gameplan so well like Randy and every wrestler coming out of Jackson MMA, there's going to be an equal and opposite reaction from those that specialize in other arts.  The only way you nullify these wrestlers is either with superior "reverse wrestling" or a really active guard. Or of course you could just knock them out.

People might think that it's boring, but I think it's just another step in the maturation of MMA as a sport.  The constant fight of one discipline/martial art to become better forces other disciplines/martial arts to continue to improve.

the (closed) guard is dead.  atleast according to dudes like Fitch or Aoki. 

Like you said, the current scoring system favors wrestlers and until they revamp the scoring process, wrestlers who learn striking and grappling will continue to dominate the sport.  way too much emphasis is given to top control, and the lay n pray is still a viable strategy (albeit a boring one) for victory.

I dont think that the answer is for strikers or grapplers to adapt.  The only adapting they need to do is learn how to wrestle or work on their takedown defense.  The problem lies with the scoring system.  

Originally Posted by petozham

I can't stand Gray. I hope Frankie KO's him 1st round.

laugh.gif
Frankies not gonna knock out nobody with those pillow fists.... Gray 'The Blanket" Maynard should beat him w/ UD. This is a lw showdown that i def would not pay for. I still think Eddie Alvarez or even Gil Melendez > Frankie if they fought.

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

laugh.gif
Frankies not gonna knock out nobody with those pillow fists.... Gray 'The Blanket" Maynard should beat him w/ UD. This is a lw showdown that i def would not pay for. I still think Eddie Alvarez or even Gil Melendez > Frankie if they fought.
Exactly. Frankie Edgar isn't finishing anybody anytime soon. And I'd rather watch Maynard as champ than Edgar, because there's an actual chance Maynard could possibly knock someone out if he threw his fists for 3-5 rounds. Edgar's quick and has great wrestling, but he isn't hurting anyone or finishing anyone and it's fairly boring for me to watch.
Yes, I'm a BJ Penn fan.

Yes, I'm mad.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

laugh.gif
Exactly. Frankie Edgar isn't finishing anybody anytime soon. And I'd rather watch Maynard as champ than Edgar, because there's an actual chance Maynard could possibly knock someone out if he threw his fists for 3-5 rounds. Edgar's quick and has great wrestling, but he isn't hurting anyone or finishing anyone and it's fairly boring for me to watch.
Yes, I'm a BJ Penn fan.

Yes, I'm mad.

welcome to the pity party hahahaha.

its been a week and im still steaming.

once blanket gets the strap, its smooth sailing and easy for BJ to get it right back.  Gray got nothing for BJ with his looping, close my eyes and say a prayer hopin it lands, punches.

Back
Top Bottom