Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

So I've been wearing my 990v5s primarily for walking and the first few days that I've worn it, it was a bit underwhelming and my knee was hurting after 1 mile. However, I just gave it some more wears and it started to feel better overall and the knee pain was not showing up after 1 mile and now I'm liking it more and more!

Question for you guys though. A lot of people compare this to Nike React and Adidas Boost and are saying that these NB990s are more comfortable than those (-ish?) Kinda wondering what makes people say that, because I'm not seeing it. I see that React and Boost may be much more comfortable with the softness and/or responsiveness than the Encap and/or dual density midsole, but perhaps it could be the less support that those shoes offer? At the same time, I do feel the support on the Nike React running shoes.

Maybe this is more of an "apples vs. oranges" situation, but curious to know what you guys think.

Oh yeah, thoughts on comfort between the 990v5s, 993s and 2002Rs?
Boost and react gives me foot fatigue and become uncomfortable after being on my feet for too long unless I’m using them to run in. Standing around and walking for long periods I’m picking the 99x

So I've been wearing my 990v5s primarily for walking and the first few days that I've worn it, it was a bit underwhelming and my knee was hurting after 1 mile. However, I just gave it some more wears and it started to feel better overall and the knee pain was not showing up after 1 mile and now I'm liking it more and more!

Question for you guys though. A lot of people compare this to Nike React and Adidas Boost and are saying that these NB990s are more comfortable than those (-ish?) Kinda wondering what makes people say that, because I'm not seeing it. I see that React and Boost may be much more comfortable with the softness and/or responsiveness than the Encap and/or dual density midsole, but perhaps it could be the less support that those shoes offer? At the same time, I do feel the support on the Nike React running shoes.

Maybe this is more of an "apples vs. oranges" situation, but curious to know what you guys think.

Oh yeah, thoughts on comfort between the 990v5s, 993s and 2002Rs?
New balance got the cushion plus the support. React and boost are just cushion. Need a little stability walking around and nb has that. Primarily wear a 990v3 daily

Haven’t tried React yet, but love Boost until it “bottoms out”.

As far as NBs, I’ve been living in the Marblehead 2002r, and find them way more comfortable than my v3s :pimp:

Recent lace swaps:

52010879030_d0a9000303_c.jpg

52010366211_b1e482db16_c.jpg

The first weekend back in March when we finally got some nice weather I tried to play pickup basketball for the first time in like 2 years (cause of COVID).

I played 2 days back to back after the first day I had a lot of stiffness and soreness in my calves and around my ankle. That second day around after around the 3rd game I tried to push off my left leg to cut to the hoop and I hear a pop in the back of my leg.

My initial thought was that I ruptured my Achilles because those first days I could barely put weight on it and there was swelling but after going to the doctor I passed all the Achilles connectivity tests they do and he told me it was tendinitis and extremely inflamed.

Basically those first 3 weeks I couldn’t wear any other shoes comfortably beyond my 992’s and 991’s to work anything else either aggravated my heel, or fatigued my leg out by the end of the day . I’m a teacher so I’m on my feet all day. The NB’s had the comfort and support my heel needed until I could get a brace for it. I just was able to start back light jogging on it last week.

The first weekend back in March when we finally got some nice weather I tried to play pickup basketball for the first time in like 2 years (cause of COVID).

I played 2 days back to back after the first day I had a lot of stiffness and soreness in my calves and around my ankle. That second day around after around the 3rd game I tried to push off my left leg to cut to the hoop and I hear a pop in the back of my leg.

My initial thought was that I ruptured my Achilles because those first days I could barely put weight on it and there was swelling but after going to the doctor I passed all the Achilles connectivity tests they do and he told me it was tendinitis and extremely inflamed.

Basically those first 3 weeks I couldn’t wear any other shoes comfortably beyond my 992’s and 991’s to work anything else either aggravated my heel, or fatigued my leg out by the end of the day . I’m a teacher so I’m on my feet all day. The NB’s had the comfort and support my heel needed until I could get a brace for it. I just was able to start back light jogging on it last week.

Glad you dodged the “achilles bullet” 🙏🏾. I got hit with it 6 years ago after tryin to get back to hoopin after 1-2 years off (full rupture; surgically repaired) :emoji_cry:

Glad you dodged the “achilles bullet” 🙏🏾. I got hit with it 6 years ago after tryin to get back to hoopin after 1-2 years off (full rupture; surgically repaired) :emoji_cry:

I appreciate it, It was basically my snap to reality that I’m not 19 years old anymore and cant just pick up and play without stretching or run intense games after long periods of not playing.

The whole you don’t use it, you lose it thing isn’t a joke.

I appreciate it, It was basically my snap to reality that I’m not 19 years old anymore and cant just pick up and play without stretching or run intense games after long periods of not playing.

The whole you don’t use it, you lose it thing isn’t a joke.
💯. At 30+, preparations must be made - definitely learned the hard way lol

I know they're performance runners, but have y'all tried; Nike's ZoomX models, NB's Fuel Cell models, Saucony's PWRRUN PB models? These are each respective brand's A1 cushioning foams for marathon racing. I believe all are PEBA (Polyether block amide) foams.

I run, but I'll admit that I've purchased some models/cws just for casual wear, ESP with the Saucony Endorphin Speed 2s.

Last edited:
I really need these 550 JFG in a 14. It’s just unreal how they are basically nonexistent or prices are crazy on the secondary market.

NB Fuel cell is comparable to Adidas Bounce, Nike React, Brooks DNA amp, Saucony PWRfoam or PWRrun

NB fresh foam is comparable to Adidas Boost, Nike Zoom, Brooks DNA foam, Saucony Everun, Asics Flytefoam

NB Encap isn't really comparable to anything else

Adidas Boost is the softest and has not technically been for actual running or performance for a few years now. It is just for lifestlye / walking

I own a lot of performance running models from different brands, and I feel Nike's ZoomX is the softest.

-edit-
Refined Future 2002R Swap Ideas

High Learning
New Balance 2002R - Refined Future Rain Cloud+ (Higher Learning).jpg

M2002RHL (looks the best to me)
New Balance 2002R - Refined Future Rain Cloud+ (M2002RHL).jpg

Munsell White
New Balance 2002R - Refined Future Rain Cloud+ (Munsell).jpg

Sea Salt (ooped to a coworker for retail)
New Balance 2002R - Refined Future Rain Cloud+ (Sea Salt).jpg

Last edited:
NB Fuel cell is comparable to Adidas Bounce, Nike React, Brooks DNA amp, Saucony PWRfoam or PWRrun

NB fresh foam is comparable to Adidas Boost, Nike Zoom, Brooks DNA foam, Saucony Everun, Asics Flytefoam

NB Encap isn't really comparable to anything else

Adidas Boost is the softest and has not technically been for actual running or performance for a few years now. It is just for lifestlye / walking

Pretty accurate but I’d almost say NB Fuel Cell falls in between adidas Bounce and adidas Boost.

I’ll also add NB Fresh Foam tends to typically keep its “bounce” longer than adidas Boost….if u were to wear a pair of each on daily basis.

I’m looking for a pair of these DTLRs in a 12 if anyone happens to know where to find some for a decent price
36A9BDDE-94A7-403E-BAC9-631D660EAB5D.png

raffle up

Used to follow a guy, before my last IG got nuked, who did photography with little legomen/action figures working on AM1 air bubbles and stuff like that. Feel like that last pic is a rip off of that. Wish I could remember his handle

Back
Top Bottom