Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

The hate on 574s is strong. I love USA made 574's. I love some of my asian mades as well (HAZES are among my favorite NBs I own). Its a simple silo and lends itself to some great colorways and ideas. With all this hate on 574's, I oughta be able to find a few more BnB's, Mojitos, etc at retail :wink:
yeah tell me about it...

Okay discussion time: List THREE (3, trois, tres,) of your most comfortable NB models and why: 1 being most comfortable, 3 being least.
1. 990 Navy and Black Anniversary

2. 999 Elite

3. 1300

I did have two pairs of the Elite 1600s but had to return them because they were too big (can't find a size 11.5).

Let me tell you no offense to NIKE/Air Jordan talk but them New Balance are quality. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jordan, Lebrons, Kobes, KDs, Flyknits, Reebok classic, etc.

And I'm not hating on 574s. I just feel like they're my least favorite. I think at $50, they're great. At $150, not so much, especially with the military discount. I was able to get the Black/White 990 Anniversary for $125. It was like walking on air. The suede is so butter. The Vibram so shock absorbtastic.

Last edited:
Also just wanted to link this post from a Polish forum a user on Sneaker Freaker stumbled upon - The pictures are pretty self explanatory for anyone who's super keen on getting the old shape in their 1500's: http://hype5.pl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1471
i had seen this a couple days ago as well. glasgowrob actually posted the method a while back, but didnt have a tutorial yet. this one has a lot more pics, but still feel like id butcher the shoe trying lol. shame. would be nice to attempt this on a pair of mojitos...

I would say that all of my NBs are pretty comfortable or at least I don't find any of them to be uncomfortable. If I did have to throw a list together, it would be something along the lines of-
1. 990 Anniversary
2. 996
3. 999

How much did you pay for them though? I would consider those as flaws but it would depend how much you spent for them for you to decide to keep them or sell them.
I haven't seen any 574JA online lately and I am looking for a pair myself. Sadly they did not release in my location.

Anyway, my share today:

1. 999 - Never experienced anything unpleasant using them (Kennedy, Elite)
2. 574 - It's almost a toss with 999s (Mojito)
3. 1500 - First NB I ever had (Desert Storm) :smokin

Let me just add this, I hate my 1300s because the tongue keeps slipping on the side everytime I walk with it. :smh:
The ride is OK but you know that feeling where the tongue slides on the side, it's annoying :x

Bottomline: All of my NBs are pretty comfortable actually :D

Anywhere else i can get these for cheap? Zappos has them on sale but i feel like i can get them cheaper elsewhere.

1. 999 Elite by far. Wore them to my second daughters birth last week and 12 hours of standing whilst my wife was in labour these did the job. Will always be special as a result.
2. 576 my go to semi smart sneaker (Navy Suede) and they hold out well when touring euro cities this spring.
3. 813 All Terrain. You probably don't know them but they are waterproof walking shoes I wear every day walking my dogs all year round.

420 are my favourite NB of all time but they are the least comfy.

However nothing is as comfy as my Nike Free Run 3- sorry Team NB

Last edited:
Congrats, britkicks!

1. 999 - The roominess in the toe scores bonus points.
2. 996 - Every version I've worn has been plush and comfy.
3. 574 - Kind of surprising but when I think about it, these are more consistently comfortable than most other models. The comfort level on 577s, 576s, 670s, 1500s, etc. can be hit or miss, but with the 574 I find you know what you're getting.

Hmmm most comfortable models, that is actually pretty hard since all my NBs have a pretty high comfort level compared to most of my other shoes. But i think my favorite 3 are:

1:1300, Nice mix of great comfort and light weight breathability have walked around hours in them in NYC and had zero foot pain. Wear my grapes and salmon soles on a weekly if not daily basis. My ARCs i tend to baby though. 

2:999, Fat *** midsole has some actually decent shock absorbing capabilities, nice and soft inner cushioning and a comfortable ride. 999 elites have basically become my go to beaters, a shoe that i can wear without really worrying about them and yet still look nice on foot. Seals are a bit harder to wear with certain outfits due to their crazy colorway, but i still love em nonetheless. 

3:MT580, While normal 580s are possibly one of the least comfortable new balances i have ever worn, their counterparts the MT580 are one of the most comfortable. I love the extra toebox room and the fat midsole of the shoe, like the 999s, has some pretty good shock absorption. I also love the look of the shoe, both the wests and fingercroxx have the look of a boot with their alpine and military themed colorways. Love my burn rubbers as well due to their simplistic, easy to wear color blocking. 

Top 3 are in no specific order, they are all about equal on the comfort scale for me, just in different areas. 

1. 996, even more couchen then the 1300, walking on pillows!
2. 1300, always soft and comfy
3. 999 Elite, 574 USA or 576 all are soft inside and 576 shape my foot perfect...

I am pretty curious on the 990, seems to be a great soft shoe!

Congrats, britkicks!

Thank you

1. 999 - The roominess in the toe scores bonus points.
2. 996 - Every version I've worn has been plush and comfy.
3. 574 - Kind of surprising but when I think about it, these are more consistently comfortable than most other models. The comfort level on 577s, 576s, 670s, 1500s, etc. can be hit or miss, but with the 574 I find you know what you're getting.

1. 996 - These felt amazing when I first tried them on, and the feeling hasn't left.
2. 1300
3. 998 - I have flat feet so that arch boost is pretty nice to have.

Heads up some dude on a Facebook group is selling new balance 990s navy in a eleven for a cheap price I would link here but I don't know if its aint the rules are not.

Most comfortable for me

1 - 1600, I feel they are slept on and being a bigger guy they seem to be wide enough and shaped right for my feet.

2 - 999, They arent that narrow for my foot and the thick midsole gives me a nice amount of support.

3 - 574, Couldve been a toss it up between them and the 999, even with what it lacks in midsole it makes up for in overall comfort and support.

my collette 1500 are up there too, and i havent even UNDS any 1300's so i guess i cant give my honest opinion on them.

Back
Top Bottom