Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

I feel like more urban areas tend to fw with NBs. I’ve always seen 574s rocked casually growing up, and the only time I’ve heard them referenced as “old people shoes” is when referring to the leather pairs with navy trim (similar looking to Nike Monarchs).

From a performance standpoint, I’ve always known NB to do the damn job and people often respected the quality.
NB 622 - 627

this is fairly accurate but this article couldve been better and longer. what it fails to mention is that a lot of the youth crew / revelation records etc. guys wore NBs made of canvas due to them not having leather or suede. they are singing about veganism, after all. so they had to look the part that they were preaching. i've spoken to ray cappo and porcell (from youth of today, better than a thousand, bold, etc) directly about this and it's also been covered in many hxc zines and books. this wasnt exclusive to NB either. I remember youth crew guys rockin canvas Asics, hemp Adidas. Nike GTS...basically anything that wasn't suede or leather. But this trend, during that period, definitely helped to spread the coolness of NB in underground circles. Especially the youth crew guys out of Boston and New England. They repped NB hard being that NB was in their backdoor. The youth crew band Fastbreak, from CT, even made "New Balance youth crew" shirts and all of the Boston and New England guys (In My Eyes, Ten Yard Fight, Bane, etc) used to rock them at hxc shows. I remember the guys from In My Eyes always telling stories about their NB Boston outlet scores and wearing them on stage. Everytime we drove up to Boston for a hxc show we hit up the NB outlet in Boston and would buy 4, 5, 6 pairs each.
NB always cool from DC up to Boston...we dont have that "old man" / "dad shoe" thing here. It still boggles my mind to this day and it's a stigma brought upon us by ignorant millenials and fashion bloggers

Last edited:
Had 2 pairs of NBs in high school. 1 pair (forget what they were) I wore the first day of high school because moms was not buyin me the Js I wanted :lol:. Got ‘em from DSW, I think.

The second pair was a pair of chocolate brown 574s. I copped on my own from Champs (definitely on disco) my sophomore year and just had to toss as they crumbled on me (20 years later). NBs forever :pimp:

From my recollection 990s only started being referred to as ‘dad shoes’ when the tiktok girls hopped on the chunky sole wave with Filas and 992s around 2019. Before that it was always the Monarch looking jawns. New fathers around my way are always gifted a white/navy 6XX.

Today : m990ny4

39513617251_c049b0f268_k.jpg

Yeah mane I still remember the era of 574's, Saucony Jazz, Adidas Shell Toes and Onitsuka Tiger (2000-2006) I remember going to Footlocker and copping 2 pairs of 574's for $90 and grabbing some tall t's and keeping the tall tee sticker on at all cost!!! :pimp: :lol::smh:

Mane, I remember thinking back Journeys had some HEAT!!! I remember they were selling Nike Dunk's before Nike SB Dunks starting popping off.

It was surreal to see my local mall Fort Walton Beach (Santa Rosa Mall) dry up in the 2010's (retailers leaving the mall).​

Might take a pair of cream laces from some Tebby szn 1 V1 or maybe ALD550 since they’re not as thick as previous V models

ALWAYS….

YOU COULDNT CATCH ME IN SOME NB’S IN MY 20’S.

IM IN MY LATE 30’S NOW… AND IM 10 PAIRS DEEP ON NB’S :lol:
That's where I'm at right now. Except that I been researching this thread to decide on my first pair. I'm hoping NB's can accommodate my feet as I'm looking for comfort as much as possible without sacrificing style.

They have been making a made in Japan line, i believe.
Ahh you're right! Didn't realize the recent leather 327 was actually made there, just thought it was designed in that Tokyo Studio. That 1300JP from a couple of years back looks pretty dope too.

NB998GR-GrayDay.jpg

Getting a little sun.

I told Huckberry I felt like my 990v2s were a return. Showed pictures of how one of the shoes the suede didn't match the other or really even match the whole shoe. They didn't admit they were a return but gave me 20% discount and $20 credit. It's not the first or second place I'd usually buy shoes but I have bought a lot of clothing from them over the years.

Last edited:
got through on the palace website during release to get both colorways...
this is what palace sends instead.

anyone ever dealt with their customer service before?
i dont want another tan pair, especially since it's not even in my size.

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

Back
Top Bottom