Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Thomas might be untradeable[/h3]
9:10AM ET

[h5]Tim Thomas | Bruins[/h5]
Top http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors#2306&title=Thomas might be untradeable">http://sendtofriend.espn....might be untradeable', 'sendtofriend', 'noresizable,noscrollbars,width=345,height=470');return false;">Email

The Boston Bruins might be trying to deal Tim Thomas, but thus far, he hasn't been asked to waive his no-trade clause, the Boston Globe reports, and there might not even be a team willing to take on his contract.

Two league executives told the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has talked with teams needing goaltending help about Thomas, but CSN writes that he might be immovable.

CSN's Joe Haggerty says, "No other team in the NHL would have giventhe 35-year-old goaltender the four-year, $20 million contract awardedto Thomas after his Vezina Trophy-winning season last winter. The pactwas announced just as Thomas was putting the finishing touches on thatseason, and there was a healthy amount of sentimentality within thecontract."

Oh, but let's fuel this boat a little. NESN's James Murphytweeted last weekend that he sat next to Blackhawks scouts in the pressbox, speculating that they may be looking at Thomas. Garrioch predictsthe Blackhawks might be interested, if they're willing to send Cristobal Huet to the minors to get his contract off the books.

http://[h3]
[h3]Ducks selling soon?[/h3]
9:53AM ET

[h5]Scott Niedermayer | Ducks [/h5]

If the Anaheim Ducks don't play well this week, expect GM Bob Murray to start putting some of his veterans on the block, the Orange County Register writes.

Already, there are rumors the Ducks are trading James Wisniewski to the Blackhawks. But veterans like Scott Niedermayer, Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne might also be dealt as March 4 approaches.

The most sought-after player might be Niedermayer and, although Murray has said he wants Niedermayer to retire a duck, the veteran defenseman isn't quite sold on the idea and he might be willing to waive his no-trade clause to go elsewhere. In fact, the New York Post previously reported that the Ducks have "turned serious about getting something for defenseman Scott Niedermayer, after saying 'never' talk earlier."

The Devils were rumored to be looking at Niedermayer, but it may now be unlikely with the acquisition of Ilya Kovalchuk.

http://[h3]Stars relocation buzz[/h3]
9:52AM ET

[h5]Dallas Stars [/h5]

It's unclear if there are any suitors for the Dallas Stars, and current owner Tom Hicks and his family will retain any ownership role. But Stars president Jeff Cogen made one thing clear. He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "The Dallas Stars aren't going anywhere. We are in the fourth-largest market in the country ... We have a non-location agreement with American Airlines Center, and we're not going anywhere. I just want to get that on the record."

As far as trades go, don't look for anything that will add to their payroll. The Stars have an internal budget of $45 million, and they're likely going to try to shed their current $47 million payroll.

http://[h3]Nolan's retirement plans[/h3]
9:23AM ET

[h5]Owen Nolan | Wild [/h5]

Owen Nolan isn't going to retire at the end of the season. In fact, he told the Pioneer Press he won't even consider it until after next season. "I think I've still got another good one in me," he said.

However, the 37-year-old's contract is up after this year and he's an unrestricted free agent. There's no word on whether GM Chuck Fletcher wants to keep him around, but he may be kept around to be a leader for the Wild.

He has a $2.75 million cap hit this year -- a number that will likely shrink in his new deal. He has 27 points this season.

http://[h3]Kadri sticking with Leafs?[/h3]
9:17AM ET

[h5]Toronto Maple Leafs [/h5]

It's unlikely.

The 19-year-old Nazem Kadri was an emergency call-up from London (OHL) last night and got 17:26 of ice time. He struggled, especially on faceoffs (2 of 13), and the Globe and Mail writes that this is probably his last action until next season.

There's an opening at center after the Leafs dealt http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=2079Matt Stajan in the http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=2282Dion Phaneuf swap -- a move that Kadri noticed. He told the Toronto Star, "With Stajan being moved, obviously I got to know him a little bit, and he was a great guy and great hockey player. But I guess it gives me more of a chance to move up and hopefully succeed."

Kadri had 66 points in 42 games this season in the OHL. He had a strong preseason with the Leafs and some thought he would stick with the club, but GM Brian Burke has said he feels Kadri isn't big enough for the NHL yet.

http://[h3]Sharks still looking for trades[/h3]
9:15AM ET

[h5]San Jose Sharks [/h5]

San Jose Sharks GM Doug WIlson just traded for Niclas Wallin, but is he done dealing?

Wilson told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun, "You're always looking. We've got some guys out with injuries. We also have some guys in [AHL] Worcester playing really well and they're certainly part of our player pool and will be going forward."

But unless he gets a great deal, he might not pull any trades because he told LeBrun he wasn't breaking up his current team. In the Wallin trade, he said, "We didn't have to give up anything from our dressing room because I really respect and believe in the group and how they've approached this year."

So even if Wilson makes a deal, he will probably want to make it early and it will probably be someone that will integrate easily into the locker room since it's clear Wilson doesn't want to mess with the chemistry.

http://[h3]Thomas might be untradeable[/h3]
9:10AM ET

[h5]Tim Thomas | Bruins [/h5]

The Boston Bruins might be trying to deal http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=1207Tim Thomas, but thus far, he hasn't been asked to waive his no-trade clause, the Boston Globe reports, and there might not even be a team willing to take on his contract.

Two league executives told the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has talked with teams needing goaltending help about Thomas, but CSN writes that he might be immovable.

CSN's Joe Haggerty says, "No other team in the NHL would have given the 35-year-old goaltender the four-year, $20 million contract awarded to Thomas after his Vezina Trophy-winning season last winter. The pact was announced just as Thomas was putting the finishing touches on that season, and there was a healthy amount of sentimentality within the contract."

Oh, but let's fuel this boat a little. NESN's James Murphy tweeted last weekend that he sat next to Blackhawks scouts in the press box, speculating that they may be looking at Thomas. Garrioch predicts the Blackhawks might be interested, if they're willing to send http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=1544Cristobal Huet to the minors to get his contract off the books.

http://[h3]Preds eying trades [/h3]
8:51AM ET

[h5]Nashville Predators [/h5]

The Nashville Predators may make a deal near the deadline for a "veteran penalty-killer or a real good faceoff guy, or maybe a guy that's produced a little bit more ," coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean.

Of course, this requires GM David Poile to find a deal that works. Possible targets are Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen, Fernando Pisano, Ethan Moreau, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Raffi Torres and Fredrik Modin.

But the Predators may have other things to do before the deadline, like figure out if they can re-sign Dan Hamhuis and which goalie they should keep: Dan Ellis or Pekka Rinne?

If Poile figures that he can't re-sign Hamhuis, there might be a big deal on the way after the Olympics. Also, Poile said he would discuss deals with Ellis and Rinne during the Olympics, but if nothing is worked out there, he might try to deal one of those guys -- Rinne, probably -- in that small window between the Olympics and the trade deadline.

http://[h3]Blues officially dealing Colaiacovo[/h3]
8:43AM ET

[h5]Carlo Colaiacovo | Blues [/h5]

The St. Louis Blues have told other NHL GMs that Carlo Colaiacovo is available, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Andy Strickland reports. This has long been speculated, but perhaps this announcement will spur a trade.

The Blues might be quite active before March 4, because there have been rumors about them dealing Paul Kariya, Keith Tkachuk and several other veterans. Captain Eric Brewer might even be traded, according to CBC's Elliotte Friedman.

But they will not part with their young core -- David Perron, David Backes, Patrik Berglund and T.J. Oshie -- so don't expect anything involving those guys.

In return, the Blues may be looking for a goaltender.

http://[h3]Sutton could be dealt[/h3]
8:33AM ET

[h5]Andy Sutton | Islanders [/h5]

Andy Sutton might soon be dealt if the New York Islander fall further out of contention. Several contending clubs have inquired about the big defenseman, Chris Botta of Islanders Points Blank reports, and he might return a high draft pick or solid prospect.

Sutton is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, and the fact that GM Garth Snow is willing to discuss Sutton might indicate that he's thinking about dumping salaries in preparation for the offseason.

Dwayne Roloson might also be available near the deadline, and he might also net a high draft pick or prospect. However, Botta adds: "With the exception of Sutton and Dwayne Roloson, there isn%u2019t a player over 28 on this roster that a team would give up a high draft pick or decent prospect for. You could combine two or three of them and it wouldn%u2019t matter."

http://[h3]Pens eying Moreau[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Ethan Moreau | Oilers [/h5]

The Pittsburgh Penguins might be close to trading for Ethan Moreau, according to Darren Dreger previously wrote that Moreau trade is unlikely unless Edmonton "sweetens the pot," meaning the add draft picks or prospect.

The Penguins, on the other hand, are looking for a forward and have been linked to Ponikarovsky, Paul Kariya, Keith Tkachuk and Ray Whitney, but they are right up against the cap so a deal may have to send back an NHL player.

If this rumor is true, the Pens may be sending an expiring contract to the Oilers for Moreau, who still has a year left on his deal at a $2 million cap hit.

http://[h3]Halak, Price trade hints with new GM[/h3]
8:18AM ET

[h5]Jaroslav Halak | Canadiens [/h5]

With Habs GM Bob Gainey stepping down, Pierre Gauthier takes over and he indicated that he will hold onto his two goalies until after the season.

Either Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak will have to go because both guys expect to start, and most have speculated that it will be Halak who is traded at the deadline. But Gauthier said at a press conference (via TSN), "We believe we can go far with these two young men. You can never say never, but that's a strong position and we would like to keep it strong."

Scouts generally feel Price is the more valuable goalie, which might be why the Habs haven't discussed any serious trades regarding him. Halak, on the other hand, was almost headed to Philadelphia at one point.

Also, there was buzz that Halak demanded a trade because he wants to be a starter, but since his rumored demand, he has played so well that he has essentially been the No. 1 goalie in Montreal over Price. The St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars may be suitors for Halak in the offseason.

burnside_scott_30.jpg
[h5]Scott Burnside[/h5]
Plenty of work ahead for Canadiens
"At least, they would seem to be with worldly Gauthier at the helm. He joined the Habs shortly after Gainey took over the GM role. Gauthier has been instrumental in helping the Habs develop a top-notch scouting department and reversing a trend that had seen the Habs fail to consistently draft and develop young players for years."
[/h3]

flyers should try and make a move on koivu or selanne

great win last night
pimp.gif
 carter surprised me last night
laugh.gif
 dude is soft and lazy..... hope the dude is alright

-Clean hit by Carter...I hope the NHL doesn't come down on him, because it was just a hockey play. Unfortunate result, but no need to discipline Carter for making a clean hit.

-Sucks that Getzlaf is gonna most likely miss the olympics, but why not invite Mike Green and put him up on forward? jk....and yes, I'm still mad about that snub.

-I told yall last year that Chris Stewart had 20-30 goal potential and was a better player than Milan Lucic...

-Did anyone catch that Mike Comrie superpunch???
eek.gif

-Kadri is gonna be a good player, but he needs to bulk up before he gets regular NHL minutes. He should have Gary Roberts on speed dial.

milan lucic is a shadow of his former self...that ankle isn't right. dude needs to sit out some more and heal up.

It was a clean hit but I still hope someone puts him on his back the next time the Devils and Flyers play.

Originally Posted by cquan05

Originally Posted by LVJordan238

Getzlaf sprained his ankle and might be out for the Olympics.
frown.gif

At least we ended the Kings win streak in the process.
BTW Dustin Brown is the biggest vagina in the NHL. Always taking runs at smaller, weaker players and diving at the slightest touch.
Really? I see him hit plenty of guys that are much bigger than him. You can't be the leader in hits by just going after smaller players.
ohwell.gif

Really hope Getzlaf's ankle isn't too bad......one of my favorite players and I want to see him suit up for Canada.
My bad, I didn't mean to say he only goes after smaller players. What I meant was, when he does take a run at smaller guys he's unwilling to drop the gloves when someone challenges him. For example, in the past few games we've played the Kings, he's went after Blake, Selanne, Nokelainen, ETC., but when guys like Carter, Brown, and Ryan challenge him to a fight after these hits he won't go.

Also, if Getzlaf can't go Canada needs to not only worry about replacing him, but Perry seems to get lost without Getzlaf. Too bad they can't bring both Stamkos and Marty, while dropping Perry.

Originally Posted by cquan05

Getzlaf sprained his ankle and might be out for the Olympics.
frown.gif

At least we ended the Kings win streak in the process.
BTW Dustin Brown is the biggest vagina in the NHL. Always taking runs at smaller, weaker players and diving at the slightest touch.
Really? I see him hit plenty of guys that are much bigger than him. You can't be the leader in hits by just going after smaller players.
ohwell.gif

Really hope Getzlaf's ankle isn't too bad......one of my favorite players and I want to see him suit up for Canada.
My bad, I didn't mean to say he only goes after smaller players. What I meant was, when he does take a run at smaller guys he's unwilling to drop the gloves when someone challenges him. For example, in the past few games we've played the Kings, he's went after Blake, Selanne, Nokelainen, ETC., but when guys like Carter, Brown, and Ryan challenge him to a fight after these hits he won't go.

Also, if Getzlaf can't go Canada needs to not only worry about replacing him, but Perry seems to get lost without Getzlaf. Too bad they can't bring both Stamkos and Marty, while dropping Perry.

That's called picking your fights, and Brown rarely drops the gloves anyway.

That shove on Selanne doesn't justify Brown as a vagina, I'm sorry but, Selanne getting shoved and complaining to the referee like a girl 
grin.gif

Damn..... I completely forgot Ribeiro. I might have to agree with you there.

And I didn't even realize it was Brown that injured Getzlaf by kicking his leg out from underneath him.
smh.gif

The report, via Rangers assistant GM/coach Jim Schoenfeld, is that Marian Gaborik suffered a laceration when Henrik Lundqvist’s skate cut him as Gaborik jumped over the goalie in a breakaway drill. Gaborik went for stitches after leaving the ice and was not made available to the media.

Lundqvist confirmed his skate hit Gaborik’s right knee and, like most observers, he thought Gaborik was messing with him at first.

The Rangers said Gaborik remained at the Madison Square Garden Training Center to receive stitches and was not taken to a hospital for X-rays or an MRI.

Damn..... I completely forgot Ribeiro. I might have to agree with you there.

And I didn't even realize it was Brown that injured Getzlaf by kicking his leg out from underneath him.
smh.gif

Getzlaf was trying to get position at the top, and Brown was trying to get around him, there was no kicking motion towards his leg, so if you think it was on purpose
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

BTW Dustin Brown is the biggest vagina in the NHL.
Mike Ribeiro takes the cake for that one...
laugh.gif
my vote goes to modano
laugh.gif

Steve Ott.

See the awesome trend there? What a coincidence...
laugh.gif

I dont see what trading Timmy really does. If we dump him, we still need to get a goalie to backup Tuukka. And Huet is a bigger cap hit, so that really makes no sense.

I really hope we can land Patrick Sharp without giving up too much.

The report, via Rangers assistant GM/coach Jim Schoenfeld, is that Marian Gaborik suffered a laceration when Henrik Lundqvist’s skate cut him as Gaborik jumped over the goalie in a breakaway drill. Gaborik went for stitches after leaving the ice and was not made available to the media.

Lundqvist confirmed his skate hit Gaborik’s right knee and, like most observers, he thought Gaborik was messing with him at first.

The Rangers said Gaborik remained at the Madison Square Garden Training Center to receive stitches and was not taken to a hospital for X-rays or an MRI.

I wonder how bad it actually is.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

-Clean hit by Carter...I hope the NHL doesn't come down on him, because it was just a hockey play. Unfortunate result, but no need to discipline Carter for making a clean hit.

-Sucks that Getzlaf is gonna most likely miss the olympics, but why not invite Mike Green and put him up on forward? jk....and yes, I'm still mad about that snub.

-I told yall last year that Chris Stewart had 20-30 goal potential and was a better player than Milan Lucic...

-Did anyone catch that Mike Comrie superpunch???
eek.gif

-Kadri is gonna be a good player, but he needs to bulk up before he gets regular NHL minutes. He should have Gary Roberts on speed dial.

Stewy > Lucic all day baby
pimp.gif
He's one of the dudes that I was really pulling for, his fam needs him and Anthony to succeed and it's unreal to see their dreams come true.

Kadri can be a better Sam Gagner if he wanted to, just as creative with the puck but needs to bulk up and maintain his speed. We'll see what happens next year with him, he was FAR from decent last night though.......understandably.

BTW Dustin Brown is the biggest vagina in the NHL.
Mike Ribeiro takes the cake for that one...
laugh.gif
Agreed........If I ever saw dude in person I would most definitely express how I feel about him.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

I wonder how bad it actually is.

He might play tomorrow night so it's not that serious thank god.

Back
Top Bottom