* Official Nike Air Zoom Generation * Lebrons first Retro - DATE TBA

I doubt there will even be a need to "run back" and try to cop if you missed out. By the time he retires Nike will probably have another version of this shoe on deck ready to release to commemorate his retirement. They'll probably do something gimmicky like change the color of the heel plate to gold or add some inscription on the tongue like "25 Years of Greatness" and market it as the AZG "King's Legacy" edition. Nike will do anything for a cash grab

When LeBron retires, do you think ppl will be running back to try to cop these?

I doubt there will even be a need to "run back" and try to cop if you missed out. By the time he retires Nike will probably have another version of this shoe on deck ready to release to commemorate his retirement. They'll probably do something gimmicky like change the color of the heel plate to gold or add some inscription on the tongue like "25 Years of Greatness" and market it as the AZG "King's Legacy" edition. Nike will do anything for a cash grab

This shoe is one of the ones where I go, I give up trying to understand why or predict if something is going to be "desirable"/highly sought after. When these retroed the first time, they were a giant PITA to get and resale prices weren't crazy but weren't cheap. Now they come along again and sit to the point Nike puts them on sale, and still sizes are available. It's similar to the silver bullet AM97s. When those dropped back in 2016/17, they were a huge headache. This time around last year? Easy. Resale? Dead. SOME of this is likely attributable to how many pairs Nike releases, for sure. I'd love to know if Nike made as many pairs of the white/red AZGs as it did these white/blacks. Those seemed to fly, yet these sit.

Unrelated: To people who have this new version of the AZG and have worn them, do they have Zoom? NDC's description only says "Air." This has probably been covered in here at some point, but if so I missed it.

Nike probably reading right now thininking "thanks Confessions of Fire"

IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

Thankful these were so easy to get this time around. Even found a VNDS pair of Lebron 2’s recently. Two of my favorite Nike sigs over the years.

This shoe is one of the ones where I go, I give up trying to understand why or predict if something is going to be "desirable"/highly sought after. When these retroed the first time, they were a giant PITA to get and resale prices weren't crazy but weren't cheap. Now they come along again and sit to the point Nike puts them on sale, and still sizes are available. It's similar to the silver bullet AM97s. When those dropped back in 2016/17, they were a huge headache. This time around last year? Easy. Resale? Dead. SOME of this is likely attributable to how many pairs Nike releases, for sure. I'd love to know if Nike made as many pairs of the white/red AZGs as it did these white/blacks. Those seemed to fly, yet these sit.
My guess is the White/Red 2023 release flew because idiot resellers bought them all up thinking they would resell like the previous retro. They probably didn’t know how super limited the ‘17 release was which really is the only reason they were reselling for so high.

My guess is the White/Red 2023 release flew because idiot resellers bought them all up thinking they would resell like the previous retro. They probably didn’t know how super limited the ‘17 release was which really is the only reason they were reselling for so high.

Good point. Clearly the resellers staid away on the white/blacks, otherwise they'd be long gone, like you said.

I've been wearing my 2017s a lot lately, they really are a comfortable shoe. I hope these new ones are at least somewhere in the same neighborhood.

Is that the same setup the OGs had? I can't remember.
Pretty sure it is, ran my OG’s into the ground so I don’t have a pair on hand to compare to.

Seems to me that I remember the forefoot Zoom being super bouncy, whereas that’s not the case with the retros…Nike just doesn’t really do large Zoom units like they used to.

Pretty sure it is, ran my OG’s into the ground so I don’t have a pair on hand to compare to.

Seems to me that I remember the forefoot Zoom being super bouncy, whereas that’s not the case with the retros…Nike just doesn’t really do large Zoom units like they used to.

Yeah my 2017s aren't real bouncy in the forefoot but the heel is surprisingly so. That may be a function of the insole as much as anything, though.

As good a player lebron is, after the letdown of the 11-12 models, and them not being casual enough to wear off the court, I honestly think ppl gave up on his line until the 20. Couple this with the fact he/Nike had tooooo many PEs early in his career that were not made for the general public, it put a bad taste in ppls mouth. Add to it, although lebron had the most advanced & superior bball shoe around every single year, ppl, primarily middle-class white parents/moms, were not looking to dish out $200/per pair at that time, given that other bball shoes were decent enough to get the job done. It also doesn’t help that lebron is not wearing the current model consistently for ppl to want to dish out $200 per pair or when he does wear the shoe, again its a PE that we will NEVER get. We have said this many many many times on NT, when the signature athlete isn’t even wearing/promoting the shoe, its a done deal that its a dud. IMO, even though lebron has had great bball shoes, lebron & nike have fumbled the line. Lebrons line is obviously producing large enough numbers for nike to give him a lifetime contract but his line his fizzled and i think (IMO) ppl have kinda moved on

While i personally am glad that they are finally retro’ing past releases & unreleased cws, as a big-footer i have to cop day 1 and cant wait for shoes to go on discount. I also cant take the chance of copping from third parties bc they might jack the price up simply bc its a big size.

As good a player lebron is, after the letdown of the 11-12 models, and them not being casual enough to wear off the court, I honestly think ppl gave up on his line until the 20. Couple this with the fact he/Nike had tooooo many PEs early in his career that were not made for the general public, it put a bad taste in ppls mouth. Add to it, although lebron had the most advanced & superior bball shoe around every single year, ppl, primarily middle-class white parents/moms, were not looking to dish out $200/per pair at that time, given that other bball shoes were decent enough to get the job done. It also doesn’t help that lebron is not wearing the current model consistently for ppl to want to dish out $200 per pair or when he does wear the shoe, again its a PE that we will NEVER get. We have said this many many many times on NT, when the signature athlete isn’t even wearing/promoting the shoe, its a done deal that its a dud. IMO, even though lebron has had great bball shoes, lebron & nike have fumbled the line. Lebrons line is obviously producing large enough numbers for nike to give him a lifetime contract but his line his fizzled and i think (IMO) ppl have kinda moved on

While i personally am glad that they are finally retro’ing past releases & unreleased cws, as a big-footer i have to cop day 1 and cant wait for shoes to go on discount. I also cant take the chance of copping from third parties bc they might jack the price up simply bc its a big size.

Yeah, at least he did rock the AZGs and 2s a lot before he went down that rabbit hole of wearing stuff no one could get. Regardless, I just have always thought those first two models were the cleanest, coolest-looking ones by a hundred miles. I dig the 7, too, but thats because it really just looks to me like an extension of the '90s Max Uptempo line, with a bit of Jordan XI mixed in.

Yeah, at least he did rock the AZGs and 2s a lot before he went down that rabbit hole of wearing stuff no one could get. Regardless, I just have always thought those first two models were the cleanest, coolest-looking ones by a hundred miles. I dig the 7, too, but thats because it really just looks to me like an extension of the '90s Max Uptempo line, with a bit of Jordan XI mixed in.

IMO, once he realized that he could get/request PEs that the public obviously couldn’t get, then yea he totally went down that rabbithole. Compare that to Jordan, who ALWAYS wore the cws that were released or releasing to the public even at the end of his career. And we ALL KNOW/HEARD that jordan is/was a prick.

Jordan always wore the colorways that released because the NBA’s uniform policy was stricter during his career where it had to be tied to his uniform.

Once the NBA became more lenient on that, it opened the doorways to all kinds of PEs that we couldn’t get.

IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

Thankful these were so easy to get this time around. Even found a VNDS pair of Lebron 2’s recently. Two of my favorite Nike sigs over the years.
Those two's even wearable at this point? For at least casual, it's a done deal for hooping.

Budget Nike at it's best, ala NSW (Nike Sports Wear - retro shoes). They just put a basic air bag in the shoe. Years ago, there was a big discussion about this when the Garnett 3's were retroed and you couldn't feel the tuned air in the shoe. Dude came through and dropped knowledge. This is my biggest concern as we wait for the retro 10's, is it going to be the bouncy zoom max full length bag, or a non responsive basic air max bag. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom