Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

party was dope, i had a great time. kinda frustrating working with some of the djs though.
first the opener (after sound check he went to change, n showed up 2 hours into the party) was late,
so i opened, then they thru in the "latin dj" who was suppose to play spanish music, but was drunk n wanted to play house, i told him to switch it up, n he was just all about wanting to shine,
man i hate djs with no manners or work ethics,

ya i got a buuuuuuuuuuunch of transitions, ive used in a few of my mixes. u looking for any in particular?
Don't even bother with those dudes, their performance will speak for themselves.
That NYE party looks DOPPEEEE

The amount of DJ's for that event seem pretty high, how long is a set per DJ usually?  and how do you deal with playing tracks that other DJs have played already, or are you just like eff it, it's my set I'll do what I want?

Yo KillaKa, whats the reaction around town about Dennis Ferrer getting kicked off the decks at Mansion? Any insight?

party was dope, i had a great time. kinda frustrating working with some of the djs though.
first the opener (after sound check he went to change, n showed up 2 hours into the party) was late,
so i opened, then they thru in the "latin dj" who was suppose to play spanish music, but was drunk n wanted to play house, i told him to switch it up, n he was just all about wanting to shine,
man i hate djs with no manners or work ethics,

ya i got a buuuuuuuuuuunch of transitions, ive used in a few of my mixes. u looking for any in particular?
I guess I'm  just looking for a few 80-90 bpm boosters to 130 so I can play an hour of slower tempo grooves before I jump it up to crazy party time.

Originally Posted by dj B Milk

Yo KillaKa, whats the reaction around town about Dennis Ferrer getting kicked off the decks at Mansion? Any insight?
depends who you ask. Dennis has played at Mansion in the past, and I think it went over well, however it was a strange booking for them. Mansion just did a huge renovation and their crowd isn't the music educated crowd. From what I've been told them asked him to play more commercial and he that's not his style so they switched it up.

Yea it just seems like an odd fit. I appreciate him taking a principled stand, and the management as Mansion do come off as huge D-Bags here, but at the same time if you're taking their money, and the crowd is obviously not feelin it, I feel that the DJ should be versatile enough to switch it up a little bit.

The problem with a lot of DJ's that have had a moderate amount of success is they feel that the crowd is coming completely because of them. That's not the case at all, and unless you're one of the top 50 in the world, you should have the ability to read a crowd and possibly switch things up. Switching things up doesn't mean playing open format or deviating away completely from your style, but you should be able to play things that could be considered commercially appealing if your track selection isn't cutting it. I blame both parties, but I'm also not quite sure how Dennis didn't have songs that are commercial considering how widespread EDM is now.

@lxj ill go thru my hd and put something together for u. i got a super busy week, so ill try to do it by next week.
Originally Posted by kiendienn

Don't even bother with those dudes, their performance will speak for themselves.

The amount of DJ's for that event seem pretty high, how long is a set per DJ usually?  and how do you deal with playing tracks that other DJs have played already, or are you just like eff it, it's my set I'll do what I want?

ya man its things u always deal with.
the party started at 9pm and ended at 8am, lol so there was enough time for everyone to play atleast 2-3 hrs, i would say me and the dude they brought in from panama played the longest, he did like 3 hrs, i did bout 5, the drunk dude bout 1, and the opener (who played in between) bout 2 .

this party is a pretty big deal in Nicaragua, they do about 6 month of promotion, build up the name and make it seem like its such an exclusive event. part of that was releasing a "song of the week" for about 2-3 month, building up hype to the party, i was the one who picked the songs, pretty basic house/electro/top 40 remixes. i pushed them (like feel so close, we found love and without you) right when they came out so by the time it was NYE they had a good buzz and could be dropped at midnight.  so the promoters told us to play them more than once, we played diff edits/remixes, spread them out throughout the night. i normally never play a song twice, unless there's REAL money involved, but during a 11hr party i dont think it rly matters lol.
JonnyBlazeNyc wrote:
The problem with a lot of DJ's that have had a moderate amount of success is they feel that the crowd is coming completely because of them. That's not the case at all, and unless you're one of the top 50 in the world, you should have the ability to read a crowd and possibly switch things up. Switching things up doesn't mean playing open format or deviating away completely from your style, but you should be able to play things that could be considered commercially appealing if your track selection isn't cutting it. I blame both parties, but I'm also not quite sure how Dennis didn't have songs that are commercial considering how widespread EDM is now.

pretty much, Alex (JonnyBlazeNyc) summed it up.

this is Miami, djs get pulled at LIV (specially on wednesday when its their more open format night, and bring house/electro djs here and there) all the time, these clubs have a reputation to keep, if they dj is playing like +$@#, it looks bad on them.

Like Alex said Mansion just got remodeled, to compete with LIV, theyre on a roll, and didnt want this to hurt them in any kind of way, that how the ball rolls.

oh and the management at Mansion is not bad at all, theyre pretty chill ppl (specially compared to LIV) I dj there for a few month last yr, in the hiphop room during the house events. it was dope cuz i would get to see the headliners, since i open and closed.

i think alot of known (not superstar djs) have this ego problem, to want to play for themselves, yeah theyve build up their name but at the same time, i believe djing is about catering to the crowd. Since EDM is so exposed now,  you have to lean to the commercial side. this goes back to the "sell out" vs underground argument. some ppl r like f the commercial scene, im all about the underground, but i bet you if they got offered to play for 10k+ a night they would take it. staying underground doesnt pay the bills...

in the end djing comes down to catering to the crowd, now more than ever. cuz if you wont, some other dj will come thru and do it,
something ive learned here in miami is that you always have to be on your toes, constantly grinding and if youre given a chance take it and make sure you leave a mark,

@lxj ill go thru my hd and put something together for u. i got a super busy week, so ill try to do it by next week.
Originally Posted by kiendienn

ya man its things u always deal with.
the party started at 9pm and ended at 8am, lol so there was enough time for everyone to play atleast 2-3 hrs, i would say me and the dude they brought in from panama played the longest, he did like 3 hrs, i did bout 5, the drunk dude bout 1, and the opener (who played in between) bout 2 .

this party is a pretty big deal in Nicaragua, they do about 6 month of promotion, build up the name and make it seem like its such an exclusive event. part of that was releasing a "song of the week" for about 2-3 month, building up hype to the party, i was the one who picked the songs, pretty basic house/electro/top 40 remixes. i pushed them (like feel so close, we found love and without you) right when they came out so by the time it was NYE they had a good buzz and could be dropped at midnight.  so the promoters told us to play them more than once, we played diff edits/remixes, spread them out throughout the night. i normally never play a song twice, unless there's REAL money involved, but during a 11hr party i dont think it rly matters lol.
JonnyBlazeNyc
wrote:

The problem with a lot of DJ's that have
had a moderate amount of success is they feel that the crowd is coming
completely because of them. That's not the case at all, and unless
you're one of the top 50 in the world, you should have the ability to
read a crowd and possibly switch things up. Switching things up doesn't
mean playing open format or deviating away completely from your style,
but you should be able to play things that could be considered
commercially appealing if your track selection isn't cutting it. I blame
both parties, but I'm also not quite sure how Dennis didn't have songs
that are commercial considering how widespread EDM is
now.

pretty much, Alex (JonnyBlazeNyc)
summed it up.

this is Miami, djs get pulled at LIV
(specially on wednesday when its
their more open format night, and bring house/electro djs here and
there) all the time,
these clubs have a reputation to keep, if they dj is playing like !*%%,
it looks bad on them.

Like Alex said Mansion just
got remodeled, to compete with LIV, theyre on a roll, and didnt want
this to hurt them in any kind of way, that how the ball rolls.

oh and the management at Mansion is not bad at all,
theyre pretty chill ppl (specially compared to LIV) I dj there for a few
month last yr, in the hiphop room during the house events. it was dope
cuz i would get to see the headliners, since i open and closed.

i think alot of known (not superstar djs) have this
ego problem, to want to play for themselves, yeah theyve build up their
name but at the same time, i believe djing is about catering to the
crowd. Since EDM is so exposed now,  you have to lean to the
commercial side. this goes back to the "sell out" vs underground
argument. some ppl r like f the commercial scene, im all about the
underground, but i bet you if they got offered to play for 10k+ a night
they would take it. staying underground doesnt pay the
bills...

in the end djing comes down to catering to the crowd, now more than ever. cuz if you wont, some other dj will come thru and do it,
something ive learned here in miami is that you always have to be on your toes, constantly grinding and if youre given a chance take it and make sure you leave a mark,

you can not be anymore wrong about that.

1. Dennis Ferrer has been around for decades spinning soulful/deep house music. The club surely knew what type of music Dennis Ferrer plays. They know he doesn't spin top 40 hits. Why so bother to book him? This isn't Ferrer's fault. He isn't going to conform to what the crowd wants. If a club night is catered around YOUR name, you are gonna play YOUR type of music. Ferrer makes more than enough money spinning around the world, so it's not about money, it's about his integrity in sticking by his music that he loves. Ferrer should be spinning at a place like Electric Pickle or something.

It was dumb for LIV to book him in the first place. That's like asking Tiesto to spin brostep for 2 hours. No, you go see Tiesto to spin his trance/Electro or whatever he's doing nowadays. Which brings me to my next point...

2. DJs that make a name for themselves believe the people are coming to the club for them, is because they are. Your read and react crowd thing/conforming to commercial music mostly applies to no name DJs that spin top 40, more or less. Swedish House Mafia can play whatever they want and people would still like it. Yes, you are somewhat right, that DJing is about catering to a crowd, but to certain crowds and depending on who you are and WHERE you spin at. I just think you have a wrong view on Dennis Ferrer in thinking he is just a poor DJ. He has more than enough money. That's why he's not gonna cater to the crowd as you say.

I hope you know that Deadmau5 spins techno and minimal techno in his clubsets with a little bit of his hits. Just goes to show that he can play whatever the hell he wants and doesnt have to cater to a crowd that is expecting his progressive stuff.

Oh, and let me give you a hypothetical situation: If there's an underground club that caters to tech-house, techno, and deep house, then books a trance DJ. The trance DJ spins his trance stuff, and the club owners tell the Trance DJ to spin more techno and tech house - but the Trance DJ doesnt want to, so they kick him off. Who's fault is it? Obviously the club owners for booking the WRONG type of DJ for their club.

Originally Posted by Oranix

1. Dennis Ferrer has been around for decades spinning soulful/deep house music. The club surely knew what type of music Dennis Ferrer plays. They know he doesn't spin top 40 hits. Why so bother to book him? This isn't Ferrer's fault. He isn't going to conform to what the crowd wants. If a club night is catered around YOUR name, you are gonna play YOUR type of music. Ferrer makes more than enough money spinning around the world, so it's not about money, it's about his integrity in sticking by his music that he loves. Ferrer should be spinning at a place like Electric Pickle or something.

It was dumb for LIV to book him in the first place. That's like asking Tiesto to spin brostep for 2 hours. No, you go see Tiesto to spin his trance/Electro or whatever he's doing nowadays. Which brings me to my next point...

2. DJs that make a name for themselves believe the people are coming to the club for them, is because they are. Your read and react crowd thing/conforming to commercial music mostly applies to no name DJs that spin top 40, more or less. Swedish House Mafia can play whatever they want and people would still like it. Yes, you are somewhat right, that DJing is about catering to a crowd, but to certain crowds and depending on who you are and WHERE you spin at. I just think you have a wrong view on Dennis Ferrer in thinking he is just a poor DJ. He has more than enough money. That's why he's not gonna cater to the crowd as you say.

I hope you know that Deadmau5 spins techno and minimal techno in his clubsets with a little bit of his hits. Just goes to show that he can play whatever the hell he wants and doesnt have to cater to a crowd that is expecting his progressive stuff.

Oh, and let me give you a hypothetical situation: If there's an underground club that caters to tech-house, techno, and deep house, then books a trance DJ. The trance DJ spins his trance stuff, and the club owners tell the Trance DJ to spin more techno and tech house - but the Trance DJ doesnt want to, so they kick him off. Who's fault is it? Obviously the club owners for booking the WRONG type of DJ for their club.

It's both the fault of the DJ and the club. The DJ should know what kind of night hes getting himself into. Obviously, the crowd wasn't all there for him, because they were the ones that wanted him gone in the 1st place. The venue should know what type of music that a DJ spins and not expect him to stray too far out of his comfort zone. There's no excuse for the booking in the 1st place if he's spun there and they know his style and Mansion is not about that style anymore. Having said that, how bout every calms down and listens to my new track:
  Madeon x Stereo Touch x Santigold x Stromae- Icarus' Nice Day (DJ BMILK Remix) by dj Bmilk

well i see what youre getting at. and i agree. but like b milk says i think it goes hand in hand, the club for booking the wrong dj, and the dj for not playing for the people,
its all in how u see it, it does fall more to the dj in the end, just cuz of how things are perceived,

I totally agree with you about Dennis Ferrer playing at the pickle, or a venue that caters more to the stuff he plays,
and about deadmau5 , i know he does more of his hits, but like u said about SHM, that applies to deamau5 aswell,
miami is full of ignorant club goers that cant tell the difference between the light guy ad the dj, but they hear a name like deadmau5, SHM, calvin harris, etc and they wet their panties no matter what, go crazy for w/e they play. u cant tell me that more than half the crowd that night was their to see DF, they were their to see the remodeled mansion 360, to listen to house music, and have a good time, maybe they were expecting something else.

in the end like u said it falls in the club owners fault for booking the wrong dj, but i know several known djs who have conformed to the crowd, who have played stuff they dont normally play to please the crowd. so i think that its not only the "no name top40 djs" who do that, it just depends on the dj as a person,
im guessing u live in miami...

I just found this thread, im a DJ thats specifically in the Chopped & Screwed Genre...im kinda upstart though since funds are low...if you wanna peep the mixes, you can grab them at

slimkslowdown.tumblr.com

It's both the fault of the DJ and the club. The DJ should know what kind of night hes getting himself into. Obviously, the crowd wasn't all there for him, because they were the ones that wanted him gone in the 1st place. The venue should know what type of music that a DJ spins and not expect him to stray too far out of his comfort zone. There's no excuse for the booking in the 1st place if he's spun there and they know his style and Mansion is not about that style anymore. Having said that, how bout every calms down and listens to my new track:
Heres how booking works...
there are 2 types of bookers, ones who work for the club and ones who are third party working with the club. In situations like Dennis Ferrer (HEY HEY is one of my fav song to drop), who is a LEGEND, guy sells out clubs n Europe/Ibiza and european inspired cities, especially here in Canada (Vancity, Montreal, Toronto). IT IS NOT HIS FAULT. HE DOES NOT PLAY TO THE CROWD, HE PLAYS HIS STYLE THAT HE IS FAMOUS FOR. He does not care what club it is nor KNOW anything about the club - he goes and does his thing, kills it and then gets paid. HIS AGENT/BOOKER FROM HIS AGENCY BOOKS HIS GIGS, HE DOES NOT. So situations like this, its either a 3rd party promo company or person that is bringing in the DJ and the club not checking him out thoroughly or the in-house promoters dropping the ball. 

end of the day,

KNOW WHO YOU ARE BOOKING AND KNOW YOUR CLIENTELE. ITS THE CLUBS FAULT (SOME TIMES OWNER, GENERAL MANAGER, AND BOOKER/PROMOTERS)

anybody frequent remix report? They push crooklyn clan tracks a bit too much for my taste, but other than that, I feel like they give some solid advice. http://remixreport.com/

im on there frequently, i use to be on it alot more, but lately i been checking it out again. i think its a veeeeeeeery good site, alot of informative stuff for any djs, from noobs to old heads. yeah alot of their tracks are too hyped but theyve chilled with it. i been dling the weekend wrap up and just putting them on my iphone, i highly recomend it.

i made a new mix with a buddy of mine out of texas. the first hald is mine, so i can vouch for the first 30mins. after flash back - calvin harris its all his mix.
feedback is always welcomed.

killaka5 & DJ XR8D - The Break 2 by SA2MIA

oh and whoever did the hip-house mix was very dope, started to listen to it today, took it back with the atb sun is shinning, wow, one of the songs that really got me into wanting to spin house.i will be doing a house mix for MMW/WMC, ill post that up next week

^^ remix report is a good site for tips.. youtube can also be a GREAT resource. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to post in here and I'm sure we'll all try to help you out

^^ remix report is a good site for tips.. youtube can also be a GREAT resource. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to post in here and I'm sure we'll all try to help you out

I have a question-  I need help on how to mix!! 

Is there one good way to mix hip hop/ R & B??  I know electronic music probably wont be too hard to start on cause it all has the boom boom boom boom sound.  What about hip hop with all the breaks/transitions? 

PLEASE help a newbie, I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Back
Top Bottom