Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

^^
i learned how to mix on the hats/snares. i started just by mixing instrumentals, and matching the snares.

first you need to know the bpm of songs, lets say you have hypnotized by biggie, which is at 94 bpms, and you want to mix it with black and yellow - wiz, which is at 82 bpms, you have a 12 bpm difference between the songs, which means it would be a very drastic change, so those 2 songs cant go together. now lets say you have hypnotized (94 bpm) and in da club - 50 cent (92 bpm) , best thing to do would be speed up in the club to 94, so theyre both on 94, and then you would match the beat, like i said i started matching hats and snares, so find the snares and match them up.

i would say this is the easiest way, and thats how i learned to mix on vinyl. i still beat match this way, works bout 90% of the time. timbaland and neptunes beats are all over the place sometimes, so it can get hard. i would say get like 4 songs, within the same BPM range and practice mixing those, simple beats,
i suggest tipsy - j kown, nothin but a g thang - dr dre, i need a girl pt 2, peaches and cream,

try mixing those up, just what i could come up off the top of my head, with clear drums and snares. hope this helps...
another thing to remember is just cuz 2 songs are the same bpm, doesnt mean they match, and w/e your software is reading it, might not be the real speed, thats why its ALWAYS necessary to beatmatch by ear.

Thanks for the help, def appreciate it!  I got so much music and really wanna do this but its getting off to a rough start..  Thank you!

Anyone have these custom caps? I'm not sure if to cop or not.
http://store.djtechtools.com/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders.html

chroma-caps-product-photo-2_2.jpg

Any one know a good synth piano that hooks up to the computer for cheap. I think it would be easier to create rhythm and bass guitar sections that way.

What's good people. I just got into the DJ game myself last December. Currently working with a NS7FX. I love it so far. Looking to add either a MPD32 or APC40 in the future. I'd say I have the basics down, but I'm still trying to perfect my transitions. I'm having the most trouble trying to scratch in the second track. I'll get it eventually I guess :/

I go by DJ DoubleDown.

Spin mostly hip-hop, R & B, Dancehall and Go-go when I play clubs and most of my house parties.

But I try to play everything I can when I get gigs at stores like Macy's and Nike. Can range from some Hall & Oates to Deadmau5 to A Tribe Called Quest.

My current set up is a MacBook Pro and the Vestax Typhoon. I love being able to travel around and have a quick set up time. 

I am currently using Traktor Pro along with this. I've heard that Traktor is usually for Trance, Electro, Techno, House, etc. type DJs and Serato is more for hip hop DJs.

Has anybody used both? Does it matter that much? 

Originally Posted by SelectaClutchStar

Any of you in here every carry crates of records before carrying a laptop?

yup. i carried crates and did all that, but back then i was more of a bedroom dj, i didnt dj in public till about 3 yrs of practice, just because i always wanted to do eveyrhting right, so i had the mixing down then i learned what i think is the most important thing to do which is to read a crowd.

i really dont like the stigma that "OLD HEADS" have about yeah i carried crates, i got skills and this and earned mys serato.cool but you aint doing nothing with your life, djing at a spots bar(or a dead end gig), scratching dmc style for hours while no one really cares. i think as a dj u need to get with the times, evolve or get left behind. yeah technology is a double edge sword and open the doors for allot of really bad dj, but it also has given the chance for those who do love music, to get into it have an upper hand. ive had this conversation before, so i was just telling u what ive told others, i think its about having the right mentality and KNOW that you do have to earn your stripes, play your part and things will fall into place. yes alot of new djs pick up equipment and wanna rock the party within 2 weeks, chill. there is alot to learn. just cuz u got a macbook and serato dont mean youre going to be the best dj ever.

i am looking to buy some turntables (technics), preferably off craigslist. what are some things i should be looking/checking for to make sure they are in perfect, working order? any help is appreciated. thanks.

Props on resurrecting the thread![h3]
[/h3]
Here is my new mix with  me washing the dishes hahah!

1. Porter Robinson – Language
2. Lupe Fiasco feat. Mathew Santos - Superstar (Acapella)
3. Insan3lik3 - Bad Pitched
4. Rihanna and Calvin Harris - We Found Love (Acapella)
5. Ehrencrona - This Is So Good
6. Jay-Z - Encore (Acapella)
7. Big Bang - Fantastic Baby (Epitone Remix)(
8. The Wanted - Glad You Came (Bassjackers Club Remix)
9. Avicii - Fade Into Darkness (Albin Meyers)
10. 4minute - Volume Up

Originally Posted by deedeecee012

i am looking to buy some turntables (technics), preferably off craigslist. what are some things i should be looking/checking for to make sure they are in perfect, working order? any help is appreciated. thanks.

tone arms steady, not too loose, the rcas can be changed, make sure the platter spins, pretty much anything else can be fixed. prices should be about $150-250 each.

I've been wanting to start mixing for a while now but could never bring myself to go out and spend the money for the equipment. I'm looking at purchasing either the Numark Mixdeck or the Tractor S4, seeing as I can get a deal on them through my work. Any opinions on either machine? Thanks in advance!

Another complete KPOP mix guys!
Songlist:

1. Sistar19 - Ma Boy (Instrumental)

2. G-Dragon and Top - Turn it Up

3. G-Dragon, Teddy, and CL - Leaders (Acapella)

4. Martin Solveig feat. Dragonette and Idoling- Big in Japan (cringe)

5. Big Bang - Feeling

6. Kara - Step (DJ AMAYA vs Groove)

7. Epik High - Fly (Hidden Track Remix)

8. SNSD - Visual Dreams (Robotaki Remix)

9. Sistar - Alone (Acapella)

Back
Top Bottom