** Official NY Mets 2011/12 Off Season Thread ** Vol. No Way Jose

Needless to say, this off season could impact our organization for many years to come. Do we give Jose Reyes the money/years in order to keep him? Do we trade David Wright for prospects? Do we non-tender Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey?

If you were in Sandy Aldersons shoes, what moves would you make to better this team either short term or long term?

Throw any rumors or stats in here. I'll eventually add more. I'm at work but I wanted to get this ball rolling and see what you guys think about what's going to happen.

The Mets have exclusive rights to talk with Jose Reyes until 12:00am Thursday, then he is free to talk and sign anywhere he wants. Team sources already said that Sandy wants to let other contending teams for Joses services set the tone for contract negotiations.

[h1]Pictures of New Wall and Dimensions at Citi Field[/h1]
posted on October 31st, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Today at Citi Field, the Mets announced that they are moving in portions of the outfield wall at Citi Field as much as 12 feet and lowering the height of the home run line to 8 feet throughout the outfield.

“We wanted to make Citi Field fair to both pitchers and hitters,

Im really excited for next season. I know some people are dreading it but i cant wait. I say we get rid of Pelfrey, get rid of Pagan, and let Reyes walk. Sign Harang, take a chance on sizemore and try to pry Maholm and Snyder from the Pirates and fill of the bullpen. keep Wright at 3rd put tejada at short, Murphy in right, Bay in left, and Turner at 2nd. If Santana and Ike come back healthy i dont see why we couldnt compete for a wild card.

I agree with you, jhova. I expect Alderson to get rid of Pelfrey. I hope Bay redeems himself next season.

Here are more pictures.
Citi_Field%20walls_102611p6_800.jpg

Citi_Field%20walls_102611p8_800.jpg

I just want a lefty for the Phils.
If reyes signs, pagan should be traded for a reliever. Let Martinez play until Captain Kirk is ready
We are pretty much set with the Line up w/ or w/o Reyes. It's the pitching side that is killing us.
Statistically Pelf should give us a good year. His pattern is 1 bad year & 1 good year.

A rumored Murphy/Bay/Dudas out would be hilarious

Dream line up would be
Reyes
Bay
Duda
Wright.
Davis
Murphy
Kirk
Thole

Sign Reyes (if they don't trade Wright and blow the team up)
Get Sizemore for a platoon with Bay
Bring back Pagan, nontender Pelfrey
Keep Capuano on a 1 year deal or go after Harang if he's willing to take 1 year
Look into Joe Nathan

Glad were moving in the walls about time...

Let the youth movement begin...I really am high on the potential of Ike and Duda together, think those two guys can become legit 3/4 or 4/5 hitters. Murphy needs to learn second, its the only position where it makes sense for him to posssibly play.

I was really hoping St Louis would decline Adam Wainwrights option to save money for Pujols. That could have been a huge pick up. Sandy likes em coming off injury.

Pelf needs to go. He's not worth the potential $6mil in arbitration. We can sign someone for less on a 1 year deal to give us innings and more consistant results.

Of course I want Reyes back, but there's a name on next years free agent list that may be worth more. Matt Kemp. Having Kemp/Davis/Wright in the middle of the order could be
eek.gif
The Dodgers are still in financial ruin and probably won't be able to lock him up long term.

Assuming Jose is gone, here's what I would do with the lineup:

CF Pagan (offer arbitration)
2B platoon Turner/Havens if healthy
3B Wright (try and sign extension)
1B Davis
RF sign either Jason Kubel or Cody Ross
LF Bay
C sign Kelly Shoppach to platoon with Thole
SS Tejada

I would trade Duda to a team like Tampa with a surplus of minor league talent and in need of a bat. Keep Murph on the bench as a utility player, sign someone like Craig Counsell or Jamie Caroll to back up SS/2B, and bring back Scott Hairston to cover the OF.

Rotation of Santana (hopefully), Dickey, Niese, Gee and someone like Aaron Harrang, Jason Marquis or Paul Maholm to round out the rotation. Maybe look into Rich Harden if he doesn't resign with Oakland.

Sign Joe Nathan, Jon Rauch, and George Sherrill for the pen with Acosta, Parnell, Byrdak and Beato.

This all seems to be in the $100-110mil range like Alderson wants. This also means RIP Reyes jersey, which is seeming more and more likely by the day.

Bratz, little confused by that right there....Murph was a .320 hitter why would you use him as a utility player. Either trade him to the AL where he can fulfill his destiny as a DH or he learns second. Guy hits to well to just keep him on the bench. .300 hitters don't grow on trees.

And why the hell would we trade Duda, he can make the adjustment to the outfield and eventually move to left field when Bay leaves. I thoroughly believe Duda can be a 25+ homer guy again, that's not something you trade away.

I'm not confident in Murphs defense at any particular position on an everyday basis. I can deal with it in a sub/spot start here and there and having his bat late in the game can still be an asset. Wouldn't mind trading him either but we can get more use out of him than Lucas. I was just never a fan of his, plus the injuries 2 years in a row might bring down his trade value.

Duda, I like the kid but I just don't know about him in the OF. I think what you said about Murphy applies to him "fulfill his destiny as a DH". The 2 of them can make some AL teams very happy, I'd like to see what they offer.

I'm fine with trading both of them but I think you need to let them both start out the year and let them rake a bit and inflate their worth a little bit.

its gonna be a very hard day to watch Reyes trot out on citi field as a member of the Natinals

FML

Baseball America has announced its top 10 Mets prospects. The list: 

1. Zack Wheeler, rhp 
2. Matt Harvey, rhp 
3. Brandon Nimmo, of 
4. Jeurys Familia, rhp 
5. Cesar Puello, of 
6. Jenrry Mejia, rhp 
7. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of 
8. Michael Fulmer, rhp 
9. Reese Havens, 2b 
10. Wilmer Flores, ss 

As for other categories, the magazine named Juan Lagares as the best hitter for average,Zach Lutz as the best power hitter, Danny Muno as the best strike-zone discipline andPedro Zapata as the fastest baserunner. 

In pitching categories, Wheeler claims the best fastball and curveball, with Harvey the best slider and Darin Gorski the top changeup and best control.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/36346/wheeler-named-top-mets-prospect

330 and 335 down the lines and dead center are still
eek.gif
laugh.gif

I see the Mets make an offer but not the highest, and he bolts.

As much as we all would miss him, we have been a below .500 team the past few years with him.....he needs to be on a playoff team its a waste for him to be here.

I just want to see continued progress and development, but don't expect much next year, it'll be a lot of the SAME names.

Reyes walks and I'm just going to guess to the Marlins.  I REALLLY hope he stays just because he is just a legit lead off man and the Mets can keep surrounding him with power hitters somehow.  To be honest though I would of traded him for some prospects when they had the chance just because of this situation right now.  None the less, we will just have to wait and see where he ends up so they can start making moves. 

jesus reyes to the marlins. that left side of the infield is going to be crazy. i hope he doesnt sign but its not looking good.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I just want to see continued progress and development, but don't expect much next year, it'll be a lot of the SAME names.

i feel the same way,  i hope they suprise me in terms of wins  but progress and development is all im asking for at this point.

All that I ask is Reyes goes to a team I could root for if he must leave NY. IE the Giants, Red Sox or Tigers.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

As much as we all would miss him, we have been a below .500 team the past few years with him.....he needs to be on a playoff team its a waste for him to be here.
Now he's coming around.. 
We should've traded him when we could've. Then next year we probably wouldn't have to see all of the same old guys again.

2013 though 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom