Official Oakland Athletics 2012 Season Thread (94-68) AL WEST CHAMPIONS

Awesome season guys. I held off posting In here Cuz I thought I would jinx us. :lol:

But now that it's over, it was a hell of a fun time. Detroit was the worst possible matchup for us and we still took them to 5 and we only barely didn't overcome a Coco error and 2 Verlander starts. Pretty sure Detroit is gonna run the table here.

The ****tiest part is that it's gonna be a battle to get back in next year with LA and Texas in our division. But it's gonna be fun as hell all over again.

Resign Drew and Balfour and lets get after it again.

Awesome season guys. I held off posting In here Cuz I thought I would jinx us. :lol:

But now that it's over, it was a hell of a fun time. Detroit was the worst possible matchup for us and we still took them to 5 and we only barely didn't overcome a Coco error and 2 Verlander starts. Pretty sure Detroit is gonna run the table here.

The ****tiest part is that it's gonna be a battle to get back in next year with LA and Texas in our division. But it's gonna be fun as hell all over again.

Its funny you think that Detroit is going to run the table. I couldnt have been less impressed with them so far. I know Prince and Migelito havent really gotten going, but the A's had them pretty much in check. I firmly believe that if this was a 7 game series, the A's take it.

I hope this team isn't a one trick pony & actually build off of what we did this year. Regardless of what happens, this year's team goes down as one of my favorites.

I also completely forgot that they were going to remove the upper reserved tarps for the ALCS. Wolff should have allowed that to happen for the ALDS. I saw a tweet from the yesterday saying the tarps would be removed, and I was scrambling around trying to find tickets only to realize it would be for the ALCS and the remainder of the post-season.

Does anyone know about the rumor of the Clorox owner trying to buy the A's, specifically to keep them in Oakland. I think I read an article a while back saying Clorox is the only Fortune 500 company in Oakland, and the owner of Clorox wanted to keep them here. :nerd:

But again, it has been a great season. This team was great.

Its funny you think that Detroit is going to run the table. I couldnt have been less impressed with them so far. I know Prince and Migelito havent really gotten going, but the A's had them pretty much in check. I firmly believe that if this was a 7 game series, the A's take it.

Yeah, I wrote in the beginning of our ALDS series that we drew the worst possible opponent for us at this time. A five game series with someone as dominant as Verlander is a significant obstacle to overcome.

Great season Athletics! Thanks to everyone who kept posting on this page and I tried my best to update the title! Until Spring Training.. or I should make the the off season thread after..

same
went to game 2. amazing game game and crowd

I couldnt agree with you more .. Its so true people in the bayarea need to stop jumping on the wagon so much and be true to there teams ..

Would love to see Parker, Milone, Griffin and Straily takes steps forward. Even if only 2 of those 4 did we still would be in great shape. That being said, I would still try and lock up McCarthy and maybe even Braden depending on his arb deal. I would like to be 7 starting pitchers deep to start the year.

Anderson
McCarthy
Parker
Milone
Griffin
Strailey
Peacock
Braden

Also, Sizemore to 2nd, Drew at SS, and move Cliffy to the utility spot and lets roll teams next year.

Had a feeling Detroit was gonna run through anybody til the World Series after playing us. We made them look beatable because we had some great pitching performances, but they are the only team with a true ace on the staff and facing that twice a series is hard to overcome. Not to mention the rest of their staff is looking dominant right now too. The Yankees look real poor right now.

If Sizemore plays well in Spring, I want him at 3rd and would like to move Donaldson to catcher. I can't stand Norris, I know he is a rookie and can improve but dude looks like he has never blocked a ball in his life. His offense was horrible also, so unless he greatly improves, I want another option at catcher.

Also, if we retain Drew, I'd try to move him to 2nd and move Penny back to SS. Penny's arm is too strong to be at 2b and Drew's defense is suspect.

If Drew is retained:
Drew at SS
Sizemore at 3rd
Pennington at 2nd

If Drew is let go or leaves:
Pennington at SS
Weeks at 2nd
Sizemore at 3rd

If McCarthy is kept:
Anderson
McCarthy
Parker
Griffin
Straily

And toss Milone overboard.

Milone may not have ace like stuff but as long as he can put up an ERA in the 3's, I want him in the rotation. You know Anderson and McCarthy can't pitch a full season either.

I'm not completely sold on Griffin & Straily yet, I want to see how the league will adjust too them.

Keep Blackley in the bullpen and as a spot starter. This team needs to start Carter everyday, he isn't the type of the guy who can perform with spot starts. Give him his shot and if he struggles over a long course of time, then bench him.

Opening Day 2013

"Batting 5th, Playing 3rd...."

"...NUMBER 3....ALLLEXXXXXX RODRIGUEZZZZZ"

^

I'm just not a huge Penny fan, I'd like to keep him around, just not in an everyday role. Just wish Weeks would dominate so he could slide in at 2b, Drew at SS, Sizemore at 3rd, and Donaldson behind the plate.

Kottaras and Norris couldn't block balls for **** during the entire series and Norris couldn't throw anybody out. Seeing how Donaldson played third so recklessly and with a strong arm, something tells be his defensive catching could be legit.

No need to worry about the logjam at SS/2B, Chris Young from D-Backs to the A's for Cliff Pennington and Yordy Cabrera.

I'm so confused.

There's another trade coming. They might try to flip Chris Young. I'd be surprised if he took over CF since Coco is a big part of this team.

Also, this puts more pressure on the team to bring back Drew (unless they trade for a SS). Weeks back at 2nd also?

I'll trust Beane. Yordy has struggled so far in his young career and I think they hope Russell will be there future SS. Young had a rough year, but is a 20/20 guy if he can stay healthy. Beane prob pulled the trigger because it didn't cost too much. Young is a better trade chip than Yordy/Penny are.

But we got way too many outfielders, someone's getting traded.

D'Backs Acquire Heath Bell In Three-Team Deal
By Zach Links [October 20 at 3:19pm CST]
The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired Heath Bell, infielder Cliff Pennington, and cash considerations from the Marlins in a three-team deal with the Athletics. Miami will receive minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera from the A's and Oakland will get outfielder Chris Young and cash from Arizona.

Bell was unhappy in Miami as the club was unwilling to restore him as closer, tweets Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. The 35-year-old struggled in his first and only year with the Marlins, posting a 5.09 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 73 appearances. The new-look Marlins signed Bell in December of last year as a part of their spending spree, giving the reliever a three-year, $27MM deal. The contract includes a vesting option for the 2015 season which will guarantee him $9MM with 55 games finished in 2014 or 100 games finished in 2013-14.

Young, 29, is set to make $8.5MM in 2013 with an $11MM club option for the 2014 season that comes with a modest $1.5MM buyout. The centerfielder has been unable to regain his All-Star form of 2010 and posted a .231/.311/.434 slash line with 14 homers last season. Young played in just 101 games last season, due in large part to a shoulder injury he suffered when he slammed into a wall in early April. The outfielder now reunited with skipper Bob Melvin, who he developed a bond with during his time in Arizona.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom