Official PC thread.

ok ok ok i know its old. just need to tide me over until i can get my mid-range build going. I have a laptop i got earlier this year but I wanted to get into building and programming. 

ok ok ok i know its old. just need to tide me over until i can get my mid-range build going. I have a laptop i got earlier this year but I wanted to get into building and programming. 

Who else is rockin' with Ubuntu right now? Got it set up on my desktop along w/ Vista. I'm trying to make this one of my main OS to use now, as I initially installed it to start my programming assignments. Any software recommended?

Who else is rockin' with Ubuntu right now? Got it set up on my desktop along w/ Vista. I'm trying to make this one of my main OS to use now, as I initially installed it to start my programming assignments. Any software recommended?

Alright NT, I'm looking to get a new video card. I've done some research, and I'm gonna choose between a Nvidia GTX 570, Radeon HD 6970, or Crossfire Radeon HD 6850s. It looks like the 6850s in Crossfire are the fastest from reviews, but I'm gonna have to get a new motherboard for that. I know I'll have to get a new power supply for all three, too.

Does anyone run any of these three setups, and can anyone recommend a good Crossfire motherboard? I prefer ASUS, but any motherboard that's stable and works well will work for me. Not really looking to spend more than $175 on the board though. Thanks.

EDIT:  Forgot, I'm running a Phenom II X4 955 BE processor.

Alright NT, I'm looking to get a new video card. I've done some research, and I'm gonna choose between a Nvidia GTX 570, Radeon HD 6970, or Crossfire Radeon HD 6850s. It looks like the 6850s in Crossfire are the fastest from reviews, but I'm gonna have to get a new motherboard for that. I know I'll have to get a new power supply for all three, too.

Does anyone run any of these three setups, and can anyone recommend a good Crossfire motherboard? I prefer ASUS, but any motherboard that's stable and works well will work for me. Not really looking to spend more than $175 on the board though. Thanks.

EDIT:  Forgot, I'm running a Phenom II X4 955 BE processor.

If you're going NVIDIA you should probably wait to see how the 6 series turns out with the new Kepler interface. Either it flops and you get the 5-- series for cheap or it's as good as they claim and you reap the benefits.

If you're going NVIDIA you should probably wait to see how the 6 series turns out with the new Kepler interface. Either it flops and you get the 5-- series for cheap or it's as good as they claim and you reap the benefits.

So it looks like the 600 series is coming out in Q4. Thanks for the heads up. It's probably gonna take me nearly that much time to save up for the upgrade anyway. Do you have any info on ATI's 7000 series? I haven't been able to find much on that.

So it looks like the 600 series is coming out in Q4. Thanks for the heads up. It's probably gonna take me nearly that much time to save up for the upgrade anyway. Do you have any info on ATI's 7000 series? I haven't been able to find much on that.

I'm Currently running with an Intel i7 950, EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard, some Triple Channel DDR3 6 gigs, GeForce GTX570, 120gig SSD that uses SATA6 (for my operating system and games), Windows 7 Ultimate, and basically It moves. I don't know much about computers, but start up Is about 60 seconds and I can immediately open Jdownloader, Chrome, Windows Media Player with music within a second of the Operating System opening. I max the setting on every game The Witcher, Crysis 2, Need For Speed, Dirt 3, etc. I have an i5 Sony laptop that's only a year old and my Build Is leaps and bounds faster, an extreme breath of fresh air.

I'm Currently running with an Intel i7 950, EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard, some Triple Channel DDR3 6 gigs, GeForce GTX570, 120gig SSD that uses SATA6 (for my operating system and games), Windows 7 Ultimate, and basically It moves. I don't know much about computers, but start up Is about 60 seconds and I can immediately open Jdownloader, Chrome, Windows Media Player with music within a second of the Operating System opening. I max the setting on every game The Witcher, Crysis 2, Need For Speed, Dirt 3, etc. I have an i5 Sony laptop that's only a year old and my Build Is leaps and bounds faster, an extreme breath of fresh air.

Originally Posted by StreetZDreaM

you rich op??

you rich op??

obvious brag post is obvious.
still jelly tho
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

obvious brag post is obvious.
still jelly tho
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

just built my first rig from scratch a few months ago:
AMD phenom II 1090t (w/stock cooler)

Asus crosshair IV mobo

ATI radeon sapphire hd5830

1Tb caviar black sata6

g. skill ripjaw 4gb ram

antec 650w psu 80+ bronze

antec nine hundred two case

i only have one hard drive for now.. any recommendations on a decent ssd?

also what you guys averaging on cpu temp? im at around 30 degrees idle and maybe low 40's while gaming. any recommendations on a cpu cooler?

ill post pics later.

Asus crosshair IV mobo

1Tb caviar black sata6

g. skill ripjaw 4gb ram

also what you guys averaging on cpu temp? im at around 30 degrees idle and maybe low 40's while gaming. any recommendations on a cpu cooler?

ill post pics later.

Originally Posted by thenkotb

Asus crosshair IV mobo

1Tb caviar black sata6

g. skill ripjaw 4gb ram

ill post pics later.

Any ssd is good if you get it from a good brand.  Good Computer pic?

Asus crosshair IV mobo

1Tb caviar black sata6

g. skill ripjaw 4gb ram

ill post pics later.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Asus crosshair IV mobo

1Tb caviar black sata6

g. skill ripjaw 4gb ram

ill post pics later.

here's a few pics..
20110502123903.jpg

20110502123924.jpg

here's my desk setup

img20110706142707.jpg

img20110706142725.jpg

little messy with the wires 
embarassed.gif

Back
Top Bottom