***OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2011 SEASON THREAD***

^ ATL will be with out its 2 starting DT tackles..

and upptempo, can't take credit for the game review.. it was goeagles99 from the eagles' msg board

Trying to figure out this game is hard. Atlanta played poorly last week and lost bad. We were sloppy, but still won by 18. The quality of competition had a lot to do with that, but so did the fact we’ve got the kind of playmakers who can deliver the big plays that change a game.

We beat the Falcons easily last year. Here are a couple of things I wrote after that game.

“The Eagles brought their A game and the Falcons had no idea what hit them. Early on the offense was incredible. We threw a variety of packages, formations, and plays at Atlanta. They were on their heels and we had a 14 point lead before you could blink. Great gameplan by the coaches. Great execution by the players. The defense was equally good, right from the start. First play of the game – run for no gain by Turner.

We controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball. No Jason Peters. No Brodrick Bunkley. No problem. The O-line and the D-line played outstanding as whole units and really took it to the Falcons. We have played 2 of the most physical teams in the league in the last 2 weeks (SF, ATL). We out-physicaled both of them. That ain’t easy to do. Just ask Olivia Newton John.

The beautiful thing about this game is that while we played well it wasn’t as if any player did insane things that can’t be repeated. This was our A game, but it wasn’t our impossible game. We didn’t get every call. We didn’t get every bounce. We didn’t have every thing go right. We played at a high level. We whipped some butt.

The Falcons never quit, but they did look overwhelmed for large parts of the game. Mike Smith is a good coach and they’ve got a real good core of players, but something has to happen with that offense. Either they aren’t calling aggressive enough plays or Matt Ryan isn’t being vertical enough.

* We won TOP, 34:03 to 25:57. Normally that’s overrated, but not so vs ATL. They were #1 in the league in TOP prior to the game. Ball control is their game.

* Field position was in our favor. We had 6 drives start at our 42 or better.

* Eldra Buckley had 12 carries for 40 yards. Michael Turner had 15 carries for 45 yards. That gives you a big hint as to who won.

* John Abraham wasn’t just a non-factor. He was damn near invisible. 1 tackle. Little pressure. No impact. “

Based on everything I’ve written so far you’d think I would be beaming with confidence. I’m not. I do feel like we’re the better team, but Atlanta has a couple of things going for them. First, they’re at home. The Falcons are a different team at home. They love playing in the dome and know how to take advantage of that.

The other factor that helps them is desperation. They’re 0-1. They have Super Bowl aspirations. Going 0-2 would be near disastrous for them. Up next is a trip to Tampa to take on the Bucs. That’s no gimme either. Coach Mike Smith will use every trick up his sleeve to come up with a win this week. The Eagles want to win this game. The Falcons need to win this game.

Now, those factors don’t guarantee squat. The Falcons went 7-1 last year at home. The loss was to the Saints. Then they lost in the postseason to Green Bay in the Georgia Dome. Good QBs and good teams can win in Atlanta. As for the desperation factor, that doesn’t automatically override talent. Remember the 90s when the desperate Eagles would get whipped by the confident Cowboys?

EAGLES OFFENSE vs FALCONS DEFENSE

Last week was a sloppy showing by the offense. Vick was 14 of 32 passing. We allowed too many blitzers to come free. The stretch play looked like a kindergarten fire drill more than an NFL running play. We still scored 24 offensive points and moved the ball fairly well.

I expect a much better showing this week. Vick got better as the game went on. He got into a comfort zone. DeSean Jackson played really well. The OL shut down the Rams when they rushed 3 or 4. And that Shady guy did okay. The rust is gone. The coaches had actual game tape to show the players when pointing out mistakes. Football players are visual. Looking at a sheet of paper isn’t going to be the same as seeing game tape when trying to figure out who to block.

So what specifically will we try to do? Andy and Marty will throw the ball downfield. That’s Atlanta’s weakness. They love to play the run. Pass defense isn’t nearly as much fun. The first focus from Andy and Marty will be on pass protection. Last year we opened the game in an empty set, but had TEs chip block the DEs as they released down the field. Expect Brent Celek to spend a lot of time blocking on Sunday. The OTs don’t need the help, but fear of blitzers will mean less time as a receiver for Celek.

Jeremy Maclin becomes important this week. We need the passing game to be more balanced and efficient. That requires Vick to spread the ball around. Maclin got targeted a few times last week, but should be a much bigger part of the offense on Sunday night. It wouldn’t surprise me if the first pass of the game went his way.

Vick must play a “cleaner

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

^^ I personally felt the play of our secondary was a large part of why we couldn't get past Green Bay last year. 

hit the nail on the head, secondary was atrocious and Dimitri Patterson was the Benny Sapp of our team
30t6p3b.gif
how we only lost by 5 is still amazing to me.. by that game our secondary was in shambles (not like it was THAT great at the start of the season)

Really excited about the game this week, hopefully we can build on last week and continue to get better.

I think if Vick can keep his emotions in check and play well then we have a great chance to win. But the run defense needs to improve.

^ my exact sentiments which i expressed in the game thread..

he has to remember we beat this team last year with kolb at QB all game.. desean gone most of the game.. and without jason peters (i think.. cant remember off the top of my head)

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

^^ I personally felt the play of our secondary was a large part of why we couldn't get past Green Bay last year. 

hit the nail on the head, secondary was atrocious and Dimitri Patterson was the Benny Sapp of our team
30t6p3b.gif
how we only lost by 5 is still amazing to me.. by that game our secondary was in shambles (not like it was THAT great at the start of the season)
Had Vick not gotten hurt against in our last game (Vikings i believe), i think he could have pulled us through
Packers ruining Vick homecoming in the divisional game
mad.gif
, but Sunday night will suffice 
tired.gif

I plan to see ALL you guys in the gameday thread tomorrow night! The last gameday thread I made was mad dry. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by lakersreppa008

I plan to see ALL you guys in the gameday thread tomorrow night! The last gameday thread I made was mad dry. 
laugh.gif

Ill bring the lube

Well, Vick got a concussion.
30t6p3b.gif

We played sloppy and barely lost.
-D-line was looking good.
-Run defense played ok until about the last drive by ATL.
-Nnamdi and asante getting a pick.
pimp.gif

-Turnovers in the red zone are killing us.
30t6p3b.gif

The wide 9 technique leaves huge gaps in the defensive line and I think that allows all these huge runs against us. Granted it does bring HUGE games from guys like Trent Cole, but we can't keep giving up 6-7 yard runs, play after play after play. 

REDZONE defense and offensive turnovers were the story of the game
30t6p3b.gif

With all that went wrong for us we still had a chance to win it, this one hurts (literally) please let Vick be alright

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

REDZONE defense and offensive turnovers were the story of the game
30t6p3b.gif

With all that went wrong for us we still had a chance to win it, this one hurts (literally) please let Vick be alright

So far we look like we're still gonna be at the bottom of the list in that category. 

Man I hope Vick is okay, o-line still looks really shaky and Vick took way too many hits
30t6p3b.gif

Redzone defense was terrible and the run defense was very inconsistent

With that said, we almost won with all those problems because the offense is still explosive, Shady played amazing and Trent Cole was pretty dominant for stretches of the game

So far no good news for Vick...
Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has a concussion, coach Andy Reid said after the Eagles' loss to the Falcons.

"He’s OK right now," Reid said. "Rick [Burkholder] and the doctors will take care of it from here."

Reid said Vick is at the Georgia Dome and with the team. He is expected to fly home with the team tonight.

Vick left the game after being tackled by an Atlanta defender and having his head whipped into Todd Herremans. Initially, the diagnosis was a neck injury.

Vick was seen spitting blood as he left the field, but Reid said there was "not a lot of blood."

Vick was not sacked in the game, but he was knocked around. He absorbed more hits than any other QB in the league in Week 1. He finished 19-for-28 for 242 yards with two TDs and an interception. His passer rating was 103.6

It appears Vick will miss next week's game, at least, as he goes through the concussion protocol.

Reid said Vince Young, who has missed the first two games with a hamstring injury, is not definite next week. He also would not commit to Young over Mike Kafka in any situation.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Reid-Vick-has-concussion.html#ixzz1YMwsXiwN 
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/82985662.html

Originally Posted by polorico

im glad you clowns got shut up for a week.

I cant wait for more of this.

I swear you care for the eagles more then your cowboys

Originally Posted by polorico

im glad you clowns got shut up for a week.
I cant wait for more of this.
WHY do you come in the EAGLES thread with this?
You're a Cowboys fan....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

AND Romo is still your starting QB. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

funny, you guys are the ones who come in here poppin off at the mouth in the cowboys threads.

yall is type corny.

fellahs.. i hit my post limit, hence why i wasn't in the game thread..

alot of things we could have done differently/better.. it was just single moments throughout the game and nothing consistent (the desean dropped TD early.. or the maclin drop late.. giving up the 1 big run to turner) but it happens.. glad it's in the regular season (hell, i'm glad it's early in the season) and we can use this game as a teaching tool

next week we got the giants at 1 in philly, coming off the monday night game.. even without vick we need to come in and take care of a shorthanded giants squad

Run defense set us up for the ultimate fail. Had me hyped up after quarters 2 and 3 and then BOOM, the 61 yard run comes 
frown.gif
. And is anybody else tired of Reid's "We will get that fixed" answer after a L at the post game interview? We been hearing the same damn answer for the past 5 seasons 
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom