Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Originally Posted by Fire419

Thanks for the info! I was also curious about the 14-40 f/4L as a walkaround, but I sort of felt as if the f/4 was a bit too slow, especially since it doesn't have IS. Is my concern justified?

Right now I'm shooting with the XSI, the 18-55 IS kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8. After shooting with the 50, the sharpness and speed has absolutely blown me away. Now, I know I won't get such wide apertures with zoom lenses (without spending the big $$$$ at least
laugh.gif
), but what I'm really looking for is a reasonably priced replacement for the kit lens. As of now, I'm sorta looking into the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM kit that comes with the 40d/50d, but I'm worried it might not be wide enough for a walkaround. On the plus side, if offers me a really wide zoom range to play around with (important I feel, as a beginner). I'm also not sure how much of an upgrade it will give me in image quality when compared to the 18-55 kit.

So my dilemma is as such: get the 28-135 and keep the 18-55 for wide purposes OR sell the 18-55 for whatever I can get (peanuts), and get the 17-40 f/4L as a walkaround? Image quality is important to me. It was like the heavens cleared once I started shooting with the nifty fifty.(Granted, I know I could also buy the 17-55 f/2.8 EFS or 24-70 f/2.8L, but right now the cash flow just aint there
grin.gif
. ). Any advice?

BTW awesome pics everyone, I'll have some posted up soon
pimp.gif
IMO you have a dilemma ..

I'm not a pro - expert or anything close to it ..

However, if I was you I'll keep my 18-55 IS and buy another chepo 55-250 IS and call it a day - if you haven't review it is the best lens for the buck and the images are sharp. Just noisy and slow and at time when zooming in the view finder jumps but its normal. You probably can find one in Adorama or B&H for like 200 bucks - probably cheaper than the 28-135 which I don't know anything about because I don't see many people raving about.

Now I'm going to tell you why ...

if you decide to keep the 18-55 IS because of the Wide Angle you get at the low end and buy a 28-135 IS for the ZOOM you have two serious problem IMO. 1st being you have to much overlap 28-55 then that mean that no matter what if you need anything below 28 and anything above 55 you still have to do a swap. no that only leaves you 56-135 instead of 250? and the 18-27???? That's just waste of money IMO -- but maybe that's just me .. you need to read a little more and ask people that know because like I said I'm not an expert neither I claim to be - but IMO that's just logical but I can be very wrong. I say buy the nifty fifty two and avoid doing lens changes just for a few MM ..

I was just looking at the Sigma website and they have a 18-50mm f/2.8 II EX OS HSM or and 18-70mm f/2.8 II EX OS HSM
and the Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF).

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

I was just looking at the Sigma website and they have a 18-50mm f/2.8 II EX OS HSM or and 18-70mm f/2.8 II EX OS HSM
and the Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF).
Sigma has better build quality...but if your primary concern is image quality, get the Tamron.

I have the sigma 30 1.4 and I'm sorry to say but there's no Tamaron prime equivalent to it that will comes close in IQ ... IMO that is ...

For the Nikon heads/ film users...

My grandfather wants me to sell his Nikon N2020 with his Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6 and a Vivitar AF Illuminator

Now I've looked on ebay and it doesn't seem like i can get much out of any of it. Does anyone recommend a good store to sell it to or should i just trycraigslist or does someone on here wanna work something out?

Thank you in advance

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

I have the sigma 30 1.4 and I'm sorry to say but there's no Tamaron prime equivalent to it that will comes close in IQ ... IMO that is ...

Wasn't it clear that I was comparing the Sigma 18-50mm and Tamron 17-50mm?

So I just came back from the streets and did my first people photoshoot .. lmao .. man I have nuts but sometimes this can be more dificult .. I was rollingaround with the Sig 30 1.4 but I wish I had something longer so I didnt have to get up on peoples face ... but whatever .. I have to resize, upload and load -so I'll do it later ...

In the mean while I'll post some of the stuff I did this morning ..

Feel free to critic all you want ..

Pano with 17-55 IS
3225050745_6161a3305c_b.jpg

Wide Angle with 10-22
3225708462_5f8bcf7f8f_o.jpg

Nifty Fifty Two HDR
3225708342_5af95451d8_o.jpg

oh and something from a few days ago Sunset with 17-55 IS - Cant find the one with the cruise ship that happen to pass by
mad.gif

3224847131_c304fda1cb_o.jpg

massacre me on my pics people ...

elboriqua...nice pics. but the one taken with the wide angle looks like it has too much noise. how high was the ISO when you took this shot? i like how youcomposed the pic though...well balanced, not too much water and sky and the buildings are properly placed in between.

I noticed this a few nights ago...take it my monitor is properly calibrated.
Now when i look at the same exact image, uploaded to the same site, just seen through different broswers. I found out firefox browser somehow wasn't givingme the image I saw in my desktop. I then view it on the Safari browser and noticed major color differences, firefox desaturates the %*#$ outta the image
eyes.gif
. after comparing them....Safari had richer colors and came closest to the original photo. just my recent discovery....any one else notice this withother browsers?

^^ Im looking at the original right now and I have no noise - maybe it seem like I have a lot of noice because of how small the picture I posted was - I justuploaded a bigger version to see if you see some noice on it?

Please let me know ..

BTW

ISO 100
13MM
f/8
Av

on_line.gif
LoveForTheAir23 I dont think anyone care about the saturation right about now ..everyone just want to know who's your subject ..
wink.gif
.. but yeah thatsa big difference

lovefortheair...i noticed the same thing on my pics aswell. I'm currently at work right now and the safari image looks too vibrant and oversaturated andthe firefox pic looks more natural. the OG pic looks the best though (color wise) maybe its my screen here at work because its not calibrated.

Elboricua...I dont know its still a bit grainy from what I am seeing (mostly where its orange where the sun reflects). It might be my screen at work? Anyoneelse see it besides me?

yo, i have the same problem

i havent upgraded to firefox 3, so i don't have color management on my browser.

if you upgrade to ff3, and turn color management on, it'll be like the og image.

mjbetch...Good looks for that, i did have the most recent FireFox installed but never had that add on. D/L it and its MUCH better now colors are more accurate.
just had me trippin' when I seen that it was firefox and not my post processing/camera
happy.gif

BTW: thats Krystina/25/ glamour model from Staten Island.
pimp.gif

jkickz. Nice pics...you have a distinct style with your pics. everytime I see you post your pics, they have this crazy saturation and vibrance to it. I thinki've already mentioned the lomo thing before.

Thanks, it's not entirely intentional either.

Its because I just got vista awhile back, and the MS paint in there lets you mess around and have REAL basic photoshop abilities, and since i dont want to takethe time and learn how to use real PS, i just use what there is in that, and thats what the result is.

Originally Posted by LoveForTheAir23

mjbetch...Good looks for that, i did have the most recent FireFox installed but never had that add on. D/L it and its MUCH better now colors are more accurate.
just had me trippin' when I seen that it was firefox and not my post processing/camera
happy.gif

BTW: thats Krystina/25/ glamour model from Staten Island.
pimp.gif
word. no worries bro. i was trippin at first but then i finally fond out what the problem was and i was like
indifferent.gif
haha

i took this by accident pretty much of a piece of the berlin wall. but i think it came out pretty nice =) maybe with a bit of cropping....

oh and for who cares, my camera is called canon powershot 750.

Back
Top Bottom