Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

i see a lot of people here having questions about whether or not their compositions are good, and i've always replied a certain way to answer thisquestion: use a prime lens (fixed aperture)! it will help you TONS in composition, since you will eliminate thinking about which lens to use, or which zoom touse. in your mind you'll start to develop a sense of what the photograph will look like beforehand. cartier-bresson, arguably the most famousphotojournalist of all time, shot nearly everything with a 50mm lens, and developed a great eye for his subjects.

Originally Posted by theshyguy415

3462061956_796ea614ae.jpg

First serious attempt at doing an HDR. Legion of Honor.

looks nice, but i will have to critique this as well if you don't mind! in the pro community this HDR has been a hot topic for some time now, namely thephotomatix program. while it looks nice, many feel that it is better to have a more realistic representation of the subject, and that HDR takes away fromclassical compositions and creativity by just injecting a bunch of color juice in the picture to make it look "cool." while i personally don'tthink it's a horrible composition, i do think that it is vaguely boring to start with, and that the photograph doesn't attempt to tell a story, butinstead tries to sell us with its unusual combination of light, bordering on digital art as opposed to a photograph. it's cool if digital art is what youare going for, but if you are stepping in that direction, i hope you are prepared to come up against some extremely talented opposition, one of the mostcompetitive fields anywhere; simply running 4 pictures through PM at 2EV steps apart isn't going to cut it as a digital art piece. as a final comment, thisphotograph to me is very confusing; it speaks as if it's a digital art piece, but has the soul of a photograph. anyway i'm glad at least that you areexploring other branches of photography, and i'll bet that you have much better photographs to post later!
smile.gif

PS: you have some unusual halo-ing effect, from the tops of the trees and buildings, that you might wanna fix!

yamakazi18 - I like your comments above. Would you mind to have a look in my flickr and let me have some comments as well? Good or bad I don't care,preferably something I may want to consider for future attempts. You can just pick any you like to comment. Everyone else is free to join as well!

I recently changed from a DSLR to a compact and also changed the way I look at a picture a bit.

Thanks!

What do you guys use to wipe your glass? I've heard a couple of different things to use like eyeglass wipes or microfiber . Just curious on how you guyskeep it clean.

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

looks nice, but i will have to critique this as well if you don't mind! in the pro community this HDR has been a hot topic for some time now, namely the photomatix program. while it looks nice, many feel that it is better to have a more realistic representation of the subject, and that HDR takes away from classical compositions and creativity by just injecting a bunch of color juice in the picture to make it look "cool." while i personally don't think it's a horrible composition, i do think that it is vaguely boring to start with, and that the photograph doesn't attempt to tell a story, but instead tries to sell us with its unusual combination of light, bordering on digital art as opposed to a photograph. it's cool if digital art is what you are going for, but if you are stepping in that direction, i hope you are prepared to come up against some extremely talented opposition, one of the most competitive fields anywhere; simply running 4 pictures through PM at 2EV steps apart isn't going to cut it as a digital art piece. as a final comment, this photograph to me is very confusing; it speaks as if it's a digital art piece, but has the soul of a photograph. anyway i'm glad at least that you are exploring other branches of photography, and i'll bet that you have much better photographs to post later!
smile.gif

PS: you have some unusual halo-ing effect, from the tops of the trees and buildings, that you might wanna fix!

I honestly would have been naive enough to think that was a regular photograph. I could only really tell at towards the building that there was a HDR effect. Iagree on the composition thing. I think it would have been better if it wasn't a HDR and to me HDRs look better on more "dynamic" photos. Itshould only compliment a photo...not make a bad photo look better (not to say that yours is bad).

But honestly (cause I haven't been there in so long), I like the photo. People usually go buck wild on HDR and I don't know if it was intentional tomake it subtle but it worked. The only thing that is really grinding my gears is that the horizon level is crooked and is leaning to the right. If you takethese symmetrical shots where you want the fountain in the muddle and the building in the middle, make sure everything else is straight and leveled out.

Originally Posted by SpicyTooNaRoLL

What do you guys use to wipe your glass? I've heard a couple of different things to use like eyeglass wipes or microfiber . Just curious on how you guys keep it clean.
I use a Sima lens pen i got off Amazon. Works well for me and keeps my glass clean.

Originally Posted by SpicyTooNaRoLL

What do you guys use to wipe your glass? I've heard a couple of different things to use like eyeglass wipes or microfiber . Just curious on how you guys keep it clean.
kimwipes are the best. they were originally made for high-resolving microscope lenses, so you can bet that they're safe to use on cameraglass.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

looks nice, but i will have to critique this as well if you don't mind! in the pro community this HDR has been a hot topic for some time now, namely the photomatix program. while it looks nice, many feel that it is better to have a more realistic representation of the subject, and that HDR takes away from classical compositions and creativity by just injecting a bunch of color juice in the picture to make it look "cool." while i personally don't think it's a horrible composition, i do think that it is vaguely boring to start with, and that the photograph doesn't attempt to tell a story, but instead tries to sell us with its unusual combination of light, bordering on digital art as opposed to a photograph. it's cool if digital art is what you are going for, but if you are stepping in that direction, i hope you are prepared to come up against some extremely talented opposition, one of the most competitive fields anywhere; simply running 4 pictures through PM at 2EV steps apart isn't going to cut it as a digital art piece. as a final comment, this photograph to me is very confusing; it speaks as if it's a digital art piece, but has the soul of a photograph. anyway i'm glad at least that you are exploring other branches of photography, and i'll bet that you have much better photographs to post later!
smile.gif

I honestly would have been naive enough to think that was a regular photograph. I could only really tell at towards the building that there was a HDR effect. I agree on the composition thing. I think it would have been better if it wasn't a HDR and to me HDRs look better on more "dynamic" photos. It should only compliment a photo...not make a bad photo look better (not to say that yours is bad).

But honestly (cause I haven't been there in so long), I like the photo. People usually go buck wild on HDR and I don't know if it was intentional to make it subtle but it worked. The only thing that is really grinding my gears is that the horizon level is crooked and is leaning to the right. If you take these symmetrical shots where you want the fountain in the muddle and the building in the middle, make sure everything else is straight and leveled out.
yea i completely agree about the part of complimenting a photo. there comes a problem though about having dynamic HDR, in that you can neverreally have too much movement in them since you need multiple pictures of the same thing. recently though there have been cameras coming out that shoot ONLY inHDR, i forgot what they were called though since they were out of my price range.

Originally Posted by 165kicks

yamakazi18 - I like your comments above. Would you mind to have a look in my flickr and let me have some comments as well? Good or bad I don't care, preferably something I may want to consider for future attempts. You can just pick any you like to comment. Everyone else is free to join as well!

I recently changed from a DSLR to a compact and also changed the way I look at a picture a bit.

Thanks!
i will just reply here =)

i really like the "walk and talk" and "lonely at the top" pictures, they belong in a series and do a great job of bringing creativity tosomething very normal and everyday, which is one of the main reasons i started taking photos in the first place! really brilliant for a modern photographypiece, in my opinion. modern photography is imagination without technique, so yours fits well in this category (not that your technique is not good, but thesephotos are not about technique but the idea you put behind them).

you kinda went crazy with a few HDR's there, but i guess everyone is like that at first, even myself
tongue.gif

i also really like the biker guy at the beginning of your photostream. reminds me of early 20th century PJ!

Originally Posted by 23kidd

nice pictures...

heres some of mine...c&c is highly appreciated.
6e53541ae919eb212c782b74bbbf1c5afb8ed0d.pjpg

e0035e5ae7d1eb2c2370249fb9e655e96dabdd4.pjpg

as standalone pictures i like these 2; the 1st i like the dynamic angle of it, the 2nd looks like a stock photo for garden plants. however, both of them(especially the 1st one) could do well with some tone and luminosity adjustments to keep the viewer interested. keep it up and keep improving!

man you nt'ers photography is beautiful

i had photo class for a year but the teacher just murdered photo for me. i always loved photography tho.

Anyone in here ever seen this "swirly bokeh" thing before?

(For some reason the link won't work, but here's the URL: Swirly Bokeh)

Thinking about getting an adapter and a Russian lens for myself. It's pretty trippy stuff.

Originally Posted by FlyingEMU05

Originally Posted by mjbetch

prime lenses
pimp.gif

did you pick one up? if you got the 35mm then i'll be
mad.gif
no, not yet. i just prefer primes over zooms. haha i should be picking mine up next week or so
frown.gif
$230 though. i'd rather pay $230 at my shopthan $205 and wait another two weeks haha.

on a side note, i'm about to start experimenting with film. i'm gonna try my Nikon F4 out. i dont even know how to load the film. haha
frown.gif

^^ Double AA's
tongue.gif

Seriously

I see a lot of people jumping ship from Canon to Nikon and vice versa but one that has cought my eyes is the D700 ..

WTH does that camera has that everyone seems to love it?

I'm actually thinking about buying it with some lens that are = to the L lens which I dont know what they are .. but GUYS let me know!

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

^^ Double AA's
tongue.gif

Seriously

I see a lot of people jumping ship from Canon to Nikon and vice versa but one that has cought my eyes is the D700 ..

I'm actually thinking about buying it with some lens that are = to the L lens which I dont know what they are .. but GUYS let me know!
one that has cought my eyes is the D700 ..

Que?

Why would you get a D700? Just get a MkII. You already have some L lenses. should be a deadly combo.

Lets do this, mang. You give me all your Canon gear, and I'll give you all my Nikon gear. I secretly kept the hotshoe cover from thr D90 for my G10.

lol .. man I think I'm stupid for thinking this way .. but I really wanted to know what does the D700 has to offer .. let me chill .. I'm thinking tomuch into it .. I head the AF points are better and the ISO performance is better but I also heard that the combo of 5D and some of the Prime lens can not bebeat ...

so whatever ..

I think 5DII is on the way soon - very soon .. lol

getting a killer deal if I do decide to go with it .. something like 2150 for a New 5DII .. how military + discount + no tax + no shipping ..

^ Go try it yourself at a store. bring your won SD card or whatever those beasts use. Still, I'd take a MkII over the D700.

Back
Top Bottom