***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The tone of the online discourse has definitely changed from dread to enthusiasm

People seem charged up
IMG_0446.gif

I disagree. The DEI / affirmative action arguments stuff works when you can make legitimate arguments the person is unqualified.

No one other than the most online conservative weirdos sincerely thinks that Kamala Harris. Senator, former prosecutor, former ag of the largest state in the nation, and current vice president is unqualified.

If Kamala performers well at the debate, give good speeches. And GOP starts screeching about DEI. It's just going to sound overtly racist. And most Americans don't like overt racism.

I’m not disputing any of her qualifications - she’s more-than-qualified to be President. And hopefully she will perform well in speeches to assuage any concerns.

Pushing anti-DEI is overtly racist but I can tell you from personal experience around some well-educated and thoughtful liberals, when the line/attack is repeated enough and it falls on the right ears that feel like they haven’t gotten their American Dream, it permeates them. They may not go tell their friends they don’t like Kamala because they consider her the “DEI pick”, but that thought lingers for some (and some will tell their friends, which is how I’ve seen it personally).

It’s unfair and it’s irrational. But it’s the current environment in America. This may be something we agree to disagree on based on lived experiences.

I’m not disputing any of her qualifications - she’s more-than-qualified to be President. And hopefully she will perform well in speeches to assuage any concerns.

Pushing anti-DEI is overtly racist but I can tell you from personal experience around some well-educated and thoughtful liberals, when the line/attack is repeated enough and it falls on the right ears that feel like they haven’t gotten their American Dream, it permeates them. They may not go tell their friends they don’t like Kamala because they consider her the “DEI pick”, but that thought lingers for some (and some will tell their friends, which is how I’ve seen it personally).

It’s unfair and it’s irrational. But it’s the current environment in America. This may be something we agree to disagree on based on lived experiences.
I think this is why Doubling Down on Highlighting Project 2025 and the supreme court's enabling Trump's criminality will be important and can help blunt some voter loss on the DEI grounds and it could push Black and Latino men to support Kamala.

the DEI will come off as racist to median swing voters

The GOP propaganda machine has not had enough time to normalize it as an attack

It is easily countered

CRT was a unknow to most people, so conservatives could pick out extreme examples of stuff twist it, and whip up anger toward it

A lot of people have DEI stuff at their jobs, they have lived with it, they know it as something harmless and mostly toothless.

So Trump starting to talk about Harris like that will come out as plainly racist.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh is right, the Dems problems are with men. I don't see Harris helping with Latino and Black men that are either disillusioned the Dems (where the risk is them staying home even more so that switching to Trump), or attracted to the appeals to "traditional masculinity" that Trump is offering.

And I think there is no way Harris replicates Biden's numbers with white men.

Her path gonna be different.

But she gives the Dems energy and a fighting chance they didn't have before.

Man I come back from camping to my phone blowing the **** up. Thought Biden died for a minute. Glad it's just him not seeking reelection. Here's to hoping it's not too late.

Since President Biden isn’t stepping down due to any cognitive reasons, VP Harris could just name him as her VP. That scenario avoids a pseudo-primary.
Watching Delk troll again is like watching Jordan come back in 1995

You see the flashes of greatness, but you can tell he is still a bit rusty

If he sticks with it, Delk gonna go on another top level run of pathetic behavior

I see dei hires everyday in my job.

It’s annoying sometimes because you have to train people who won’t last. (I won’t train, but just saying)

But everyone knows it’s not a threat to your job. It’s just comedy for the most part. Plus it’s cool when 5% of them actually work out and stick around.

It is easily countered

CRT was a unknow to most people, so conservatives could pick out extreme examples of stuff twist it, and whip up anger toward it

A lot of people have DEI stuff at their jobs, they have lived with it, they know it as something harmless and mostly toothless.

So Trump starting to talk about Harris like that will come out as plainly racist.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh is right, the Dems problems are with men. I don't see Harris helping with Latino and Black men that are either disillusioned the Dems (where the risk is them staying home even more so that switching to Trump), or attracted to the appeals to "traditional masculinity" that Trump is offering.

Maybe we see the median swing voter as a different group of people. I think DEI being racist is a feature, not a bug to the median swing voter (in the states that will determine the election) who is likely a white male. And Trump is and has been plainly racist, so I don’t think that it hurts him at all which is why it can only do some damage to Kamala.

Maybe I’m still scarred from 2016, but the overt sexist dogwhistles about Hillary and whistles alluding to Obama worked in that campaign.

I think Kamala can overcome it; and I believe she will. There is risk involved and that’s all I’m trying to highlight.

The strong support shes received so far from Dems is huge though. Solidarity and unity are going to be essential, so I’m glad to see she’s won over many in the party already.

It is easily countered

Her path will definitely be different. I think she will supercharge the Black vote (pretty much Black women and most men) which might put Georgia back in play. Her VP pick will help in the rust belt where she will have to keep Trump from running away with the rural vote or totally blow him out of the water in the cities.

Tbh I'm less worried about the DEI stuff working.

I'm more worried about winning back black and Latino men.

Not sure if Kamala can do that.
This is a good observation! I honestly don't think they can win those demographics back. Democrats already have a reputation of being matriarchal in general.

Yep and I'm in NY one of the most liberal states.

You're one of the few posters in here I see that lives in reality.

I don't think most posters in here realize how people act in public around you is how they truly are in private or behind closed doors.

I hope I'm wrong but I know this country and more so suburbanites will not vote for a woman let alone a black one.

It's crazy to see since Trump ran in 2015 all the people that are straight racist and prejudiced. I never would have thought people I knew and worked with for years felt the way they did and before they kept that stuff to themselves but he emboldened them and now they don't care.

I also saw right wing media take over airports all throughout the US. It was mostly CNN on the TV's but now they're all Fox News and I think they signed some deal or something.

Back
Top Bottom