Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

Just started watching some Python tutorials...

my goal for 2019 is to learn PYthon and Javascript....

Love Python.

The "Automate the Boring Stuff" book was a god send for me in my previous position.

Need to get back on it so I can take my knowledge to the next level.

General FYI, this website is amazing for reference materials on practically everything: https://goalkicker.com/

How difficult is it to pick up programming with no experience with it? Do you have to have a certain ineterest-level or is it the kind the thing that starts to make more sense the longer you study and apply it(like math)?

I copped a few courses on Udemy last year during a sale but only had the chance to dive into a beginner-expert Python course for like 10 or so hours. Hopefully I can dive back in during the Summer when work dies down a bit.

How difficult is it to pick up programming with no experience with it? Do you have to have a certain ineterest-level or is it the kind the thing that starts to make more sense the longer you study and apply it(like math)?

You definitely need a high interest level. Its one of those things that if you're not into what you're doing you'll fall off of. But thats not to say you have to have a background in computer science or anything to start. You just have to come in hungry, always wanting to learn more and to build on top of what your already know. Languages are updated constantly so what might have been good practice 5 years ago would require you to learn some new syntax changes now. So you'll have to stay on top of whats happening in the community.

But its also the more you apply it the more sense it will make just like math. There is a ton of logic and math involved but it all depends on what program language you choose and what industry you want to be a part of.

Game design requires much more math than mobile apps, mobile apps and web applications require much more than building a plain static website. etc etc.

A lot of people suggest starting with Python because it has a user friendly syntax so its easier to pick up and learn (compared to other languages) but its extremely versatile. You can build just about anything in Python, and from there you can learn PHP, Swift, Java, C+, Javascript, etc etc. But it all depends on what job/industry you want to be in. (I personally don't know Python but in the future I may pick it up)

The biggest thing with programming is, you can read as many books and take as many courses as you'd like, but the real learning comes from building stuff. Small applications or big, doesn't matter. Just make sure you're always trying to solve new problems and trying new things when writing apps or building websites. The best place to start a lot of times is to build a to-do list app. You can write one in every language and it covers a lot of core/universal principals in programming from the front end interaction to the back end logic.

Last edited:
Cool video about retaining the code you learn (I think I posted another one of this guys' videos a page back also, his channel is pretty dope)

You a developer man? I never knew that.

I completed the UC Berkeley full time program last summer, I think the UCI course is definitely worth considering. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or the process because the two curriculums are identical. The curriculum, instruction, and a good chunk of the career services at both schools are all provided by Trilogy Education Services, Inc. The schools just provide facilities, administrative support, and some minor career services work of their own.

Overall I was impressed with Trilogy. The cost of the Berkeley program was 12K which is a few g's less than the other mainstream Bay Area boot camps. Overall seemed like really good value for the money in comparison to other programs, but I do think every individual should ask themselves a few questions before determining if the cost of coding bootcamp is a good value for them personally.

I think the most beneficial aspects of the Trilogy coding bootcamps are the career services, which might make the money spent worth it alone depending on the circumstances, and the range and scope of the curriculum. The latter has its own pros and cons though. Covering so much material in such a limited amount of time is more conducive to gaining exposure and light experience across a range of languages and technologies opposed to any kind of deep learning or understanding of any one technology or computer science fundamentals.

Starting this program next Monday. Was able to get a discounted price of $7,500 dive the program I was in last year got bought out by trilogy before I started it. Really excited.

Another vid for anyone looking to jump into the development field and want some tips on what route to take/advice

How beneficial are programming boot camps? I've considered signing up for one. I would like to change career fields, but I feel like I would need years of experience to be considered for a programming job.

Any tips or suggestions on where I should look to get started? I used to do a lot of HTML back in the day.

late on this reply, but i've posted in this thread years ago about my bootcamp experience. i did hack reactor back in 2015 and have been a software engineer professionally for the past 3.5 years at multiple jobs, so i think i can speak to it from a candidate and an interviewers viewpoint.

to get started, i'd focus on the area you want to learn - web, mobile, server, infrastructure, devops, etc. web dev has the lowest barrier to entry imo, and most bootcamps focus on this. i can vouch for these bootcamp prep courses based on personal experience and from word of mouth from friends (i did hack reactor's before the immersive):

https://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs/
https://www.appacademy.io/bootcamp-prep
https://www.codesmith.io/bootcamp-prep

i went from learning how to code to a job in about 6 months or so, so it's definitely possible not to have years of experience if you're worried about that. even though i only touched javascript in the bootcamp, i've written everything from javascript, php, swift, golang, java, and sql at my various jobs so don't stress learning more than one language. most of my job is reading docs and stack overflow anyway lol. but yeah, feel free to reach out if you want some more insight. a few in this thread have in the past. good luck!

late on this reply, but i've posted in this thread years ago about my bootcamp experience. i did hack reactor back in 2015 and have been a software engineer professionally for the past 3.5 years at multiple jobs, so i think i can speak to it from a candidate and an interviewers viewpoint.

to get started, i'd focus on the area you want to learn - web, mobile, server, infrastructure, devops, etc. web dev has the lowest barrier to entry imo, and most bootcamps focus on this. i can vouch for these bootcamp prep courses based on personal experience and from word of mouth from friends (i did hack reactor's before the immersive):

https://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs/
https://www.appacademy.io/bootcamp-prep
https://www.codesmith.io/bootcamp-prep

i went from learning how to code to a job in about 6 months or so, so it's definitely possible not to have years of experience if you're worried about that. even though i only touched javascript in the bootcamp, i've written everything from javascript, php, swift, golang, java, and sql at my various jobs so don't stress learning more than one language. most of my job is reading docs and stack overflow anyway lol. but yeah, feel free to reach out if you want some more insight. a few in this thread have in the past. good luck!
Thank you so much. I will definitely look into this. I used to do html, so I wouldn't mind getting into web dev. (unless web dev is something completely different)

So i started learning python and Im enjoying it so far. Im in IT right now as a jr admin. Nothing really programming based. I end up enjoying coding and java I want to get into android app development. Ive got no degree and was wondering if its possible to get a job as a programmer without a degree. Sites online say yeah but just checking here

An anyone help? Just restarted college..taking a java class. I was given the Princeton java files to save on my computer. I use mac and i keep getting errors on terminal

This. At least show some screenshots.
Gotta give more info than that
I use my mac terminal to run .java files(try to)

Was given a folder of .java test/sample programs to observe/ for practice..simple programs..average of 5 numbers type program..calculator program. I saved the files to my documents folder under the name “.edu” ..within this “edu” folder is a folder called “princeton” within that folder is “algs4”(which has all the sample .java files i want to practice running)

So
cd Documents/
cd edu/
cd princeton/
cd algs4/
javac Calculator.java
java Calculator

..i just get an error. Not found..i dont know why theres not being compiled

If i find a sample program online and save it to my desktop and compile through terminal..those work. Idk the issue. Is my pathway off? I REALLY have no clue

Was given a folder of .java test/sample programs to observe/ for practice..simple programs..average of 5 numbers type program..calculator program. I saved the files to my documents folder under the name “.edu” ..within this “edu” folder is a folder called “princeton” within that folder is “algs4”(which has all the sample .java files i want to practice running)

So
cd Documents/
cd edu/
cd princeton/
cd algs4/
javac Calculator.java
java Calculator

If i find a sample program online and save it to my desktop and compile through terminal..those work. Idk the issue. Is my pathway off? I REALLY have no clue
What program do you use? Visual Studio? Also, are you running the entire big folder as a project, or just the individual folders?

So
cd Documents/
cd edu/
cd princeton/
cd algs4/
javac Calculator.java
java Calculator

Not sure about running it through a terminal but why not just open the files in an IDE? That way you can look at the source code, run the program, and edit if you want.

What program do you use? Visual Studio? Also, are you running the entire big folder as a project, or just the individual folders?
I run through the terminal on the mac terminal. theres individual .java folders inside the big folder

Not sure about running it through a terminal but why not just open the files in an IDE? That way you can look at the source code, run the program, and edit if you want.
Im thinking about that, i guess im just stubborn because i thought mac was pretty close to linux and i should be able to run through terminal

Starting my Full stack web development/Coding Bootcamp at Georgia Tech in August. 6 month part time program.

Back
Top Bottom