Official Sacramento Kings Off-season Thread

The Arco nightmare continues for me. Whenever I go, the Warriors get blown out. 
Last time I went Quincy Douby went off and J-Rich broke his hand.

The Arco nightmare continues for me. Whenever I go, the Warriors get blown out. 
Last time I went Quincy Douby went off and J-Rich broke his hand.

douby2_600_060814.jpg

I fell for the Brooklyn hype too. Undersized SGs FTL. Oh wait..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Nah, its in South Sac. Greenhaven/Pocket area. Those rich Asians over there don't care enough about the Kings to actually approve of publicly paying for a new arena tho. Lol.
I live in this area and there aren't too many Asians around here..
Hmm seems like times have changed
laugh.gif
I remember distinctly the public school I went to was like 75%+ Asian
roll.gif
Greenhaven/Pocket is a predominantly Asian American, middle class neighborhood.  It has been for a long time, as Japanese Americans used to farm that land before it was developed, and mostly stayed there since.  
Trust me...Those "rich Asians" are some of the Sacramento Kings biggest supporters and contributors.  Don't take my word for it.  Go ask former Mayor Jimmy Yee sitting behind the Kings bench.  You know the guy who was largely responsible for convincing City Council to vote yes on keeping the Kings here the last time they were going to move?  The guy who single handedly repaired Jason Williams reputation in Sacramento...Yeah, he'll be there with three or four other "rich Asians." 

Sorry...I'm sure you were just joking.  I've just been pretty angry about all of the arena talk.  We blew it as a city.  Big time.

Nah, its in South Sac. Greenhaven/Pocket area. Those rich Asians over there don't care enough about the Kings to actually approve of publicly paying for a new arena tho. Lol.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
Greenhaven/Pocket is a predominantly Asian American, middle class neighborhood.  It has been for a long time, as Japanese Americans used to farm that land before it was developed, and mostly stayed there since.  
Trust me...Those "rich Asians" are some of the Sacramento Kings biggest supporters and contributors.  Don't take my word for it.  Go ask former Mayor Jimmy Yee sitting behind the Kings bench.  You know the guy who was largely responsible for convincing City Council to vote yes on keeping the Kings here the last time they were going to move?  The guy who single handedly repaired Jason Williams reputation in Sacramento...Yeah, he'll be there with three or four other "rich Asians." 

Sorry...I'm sure you were just joking.  I've just been pretty angry about all of the arena talk.  We blew it as a city.  Big time.

Originally Posted by Burn916

laugh.gif
roll.gif

The most significant group of people in the Pocket/Greenhaven area weren't Japanese, it was the Portuguese. It was known as "Little Portugal" during the 1800s.

Originally Posted by Burn916

laugh.gif
roll.gif

The most significant group of people in the Pocket/Greenhaven area weren't Japanese, it was the Portuguese. It was known as "Little Portugal" during the 1800s.

I won't dispute that, especially when we're talking about the 1800s.  The Portuguese built the levees in the area, a key factor for future development.  They were the two major groups in the area before it became part of the city.  Some Portuguese families even watched our farms when we were sent away to internment camps during WWII.  I was making the connection that Greenhaven is this way today (an Asian American community) because of its inhabitants as it went through suburban development.  The Portuguese families began to leave the area during development, with the last farming family moving out in the 80s (you guys know about the Dutra House).  Many of the Japanese American families, along with rapidly growing numbers of Chinese American families, stayed in the area, transitioning to new blue/white collar work mainly through subsequent generations (Nisei, Sansei, Yonsei...crack open any JFK HS yearbook since it opened in '67 and you'll get the picture).  As a real example: I lived next to JFK for about 10 years, right off of Florin Road...maybe the very middle of the area. Of my 20 neighbors on each side, 17 were of either Japanese or Chinese descent.  Not only were they "around," I couldn't avoid them if I wanted to
laugh.gif

I am simply stating the fact that Pocket/Greenhaven IS an Asian American suburb today.  It's an ethnic enclave, really.  This history isn't really necessary, especially in a Kings thread, but saying that "there aren't too many Asians around here" is simply untrue, and has been quite the opposite for a long time 
wink.gif

Oh yeah, KINGS WIN 
pimp.gif

I won't dispute that, especially when we're talking about the 1800s.  The Portuguese built the levees in the area, a key factor for future development.  They were the two major groups in the area before it became part of the city.  Some Portuguese families even watched our farms when we were sent away to internment camps during WWII.  I was making the connection that Greenhaven is this way today (an Asian American community) because of its inhabitants as it went through suburban development.  The Portuguese families began to leave the area during development, with the last farming family moving out in the 80s (you guys know about the Dutra House).  Many of the Japanese American families, along with rapidly growing numbers of Chinese American families, stayed in the area, transitioning to new blue/white collar work mainly through subsequent generations (Nisei, Sansei, Yonsei...crack open any JFK HS yearbook since it opened in '67 and you'll get the picture).  As a real example: I lived next to JFK for about 10 years, right off of Florin Road...maybe the very middle of the area. Of my 20 neighbors on each side, 17 were of either Japanese or Chinese descent.  Not only were they "around," I couldn't avoid them if I wanted to
laugh.gif

I am simply stating the fact that Pocket/Greenhaven IS an Asian American suburb today.  It's an ethnic enclave, really.  This history isn't really necessary, especially in a Kings thread, but saying that "there aren't too many Asians around here" is simply untrue, and has been quite the opposite for a long time 
wink.gif

Oh yeah, KINGS WIN 
pimp.gif

Yeah, lets not trip about Greenhaven/Pocket. I grew up there myself and I know how it is. I haven't been back for a extended time since Webber missed that 3 in game 7 against the Wolves in 2004 tho... Lol.

As for the rich Asians not caring about the Kings statement, it wasn't serious. Just joking about Asians being cheap.

Yeah, lets not trip about Greenhaven/Pocket. I grew up there myself and I know how it is. I haven't been back for a extended time since Webber missed that 3 in game 7 against the Wolves in 2004 tho... Lol.

As for the rich Asians not caring about the Kings statement, it wasn't serious. Just joking about Asians being cheap.

Yeah man...I didn't mean to get all sensitive 
laugh.gif

It's been a tough week. If anyone here hasn't seen it, go check out the thread in general about donating to earthquake relief.  Links below and on the badge.  Everything helps, guys.

Back
Top Bottom