Official School People on Political Events Thread(In Cliffs Please)

Basically this thread, is for people to ask about/get informed on political events, in cliffs(since people don't like to read 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
First one, why did 9/11 happen?

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Basically this thread, is for people to ask about/get informed on political events, in cliffs(since people don't like to read 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I really want to answer your question but I don't want to fuel any of the NT conspiracy nutcases so all I'm going to say is Google It. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't want this thread to derail, it has potential. 

9/11 occurred because we needed a reason to go to war with the Middle East. Now, do I think Bush slash the govt. planned this out like some of the conspiracy theorists on here? No, but I do believe we knew about it and had the opportunity to stop the attacks but didn't (similarly to Pearl Harbor).

the thing about this thread is that a lot of it is based on perspective and interest. many people cannot report something without throwing in personal opinions which get mixed up with facts.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

9/11 occurred because we needed a reason to go to war with the Middle East. Now, do I think Bush slash the govt. planned this out like some of the conspiracy theorists on here? No, but I do believe we knew about it and had the opportunity to stop the attacks but didn't (similarly to Pearl Harbor).
It's proven that we knew about it beforehand and it was blamed on that fact that all the various agencies don't communicate and share information well, which is why Bush introduced the Department of Homeland Security.

asking why 9/11 happened is going to turn this into a conspiracy thread, rather than an informative one

Regardless of anything, this thread shall derail in the manner of the Unstoppable freight train. Hopefully, we will get a respectable discussion going first.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Our foreign policies towards the ME. 
Mainly our support of Israel and Arab dictators. 

Originally Posted by tkthafm

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Our foreign policies towards the ME. 
Mainly our support of Israel and Arab dictators. 
Thank you
So basically, Osama got pissed, that the Americans were in Saudi Arabia for oil, and that we supported Israel?

Basically.

Spoiler [+]
JOHN MILLER: Mr. bin Laden, you have issued a fatwa calling on all Muslims to kill Americans where they can, when they can. Is that directed at all Americans, just American military, just Americans in Saudi Arabia?

OSAMA BIN LADEN: As we mentioned before, Allah ordered us in this religion to purify Muslim land of all non-believers, and especially the Arabian Peninsula where the Ke’ba is. After WWII, the Americans became more aggressive and oppressive, especially in the Muslim world.

We are surprised this question is coming from Americans. Each action will solicit a similar reaction. We must use such punishment to keep your evil away from Muslims, Muslim children and women. American history does not distinguish between civilians and military, and not even women and children. They are the ones who used the bombs against Nagasaki. Can these bombs distinguish between infants and military? America does not have a religion that will prevent it from destroying all people.

Your situation with Muslims in Palestine is shameful, if there is any shame left in America. In the Sabra and Shatilla massacre, a cooperation between Zionist and Christian forces, houses were demolished over the heads of children. Also, by testimony of relief workers in Iraq, the American-led sanctions resulted in the death of over 1 million Iraqi children.

All of this was done in the name of American interests. We believe that the biggest thieves in the world and the terrorists are the Americans. The only way for us to fend off these assaults is to use similar means.

We do not differentiate between those dressed in military uniforms and civilians; they are all targets in this fatwa. Especially since American officials were released after the Khobar bombing, asking all American civilians to contact the security department in the embassy with information on Muslims and activists. The fatwa includes all that share or take part in killing of Muslims, assaulting holy places, or those who help the Jews occupy Muslim land. 

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

It's proven that we knew about it beforehand and it was blamed on that fact that all the various agencies don't communicate and share information well, which is why Bush introduced the Department of Homeland Security.
Hmm, didn't know it was confirmed, got me feeling like Larry David with the two-part ski
laugh.gif

^^yes sir it was in the 9/11 commission report. Various intelligence agencies knew bits and pieces of the overall plan but because of the disconnect between agencies all the pieces were not put together and the plan obviously wasn't thwarted.

^I don't think there is an official reason, Lee Harvey Oswald was killed before he could stand trial, I believe. An his assassination is considered a conspiracy, in the legal sense of the word.

Can someone quickly school me on Obama and his birth certificate? I understand it caused some commotion a while back... I live in Canada so I'm not too familiar with this, but have always been wondering.

My theory on JFK is the mob killed him, which is ironic since the mob was pretty much the reason why he became president.

@FOG
^^Some fringe republicans believed that Obama was born in Indonesia because of his mom's marriage to Lolo Suerto (sp) and if that were the case then he'd legally ineligible to be President of The United States, since one of the constitutional stipulations is that one has to be natural born U.S. citizen in order to hold the office. They Republicans demanded to see his birth certificate but apparently, Hawaii law doesn't allow for those kind of records to be released. However, there were accounts from Doctors in the hospital that day that confirmed baby Barack's birth, as well as birth announcement in the local papers. The Obama team later released a certificate of live birth to prove his citizenship, but Republicans dismissed that as well, even though in many states that certificate can be used in lieu of a birth certificate. An then earlier this year around the time when bin Laden was killed the President released his long form birth certificate an the "birthers" have been fairly silent ever since.

Rick Perry - Far right evangelical, typical Republican stance, just with a overly religious undertones. He's the current Governor or Texas.

Michelle Bachmann - First term house Representative. Very similar stance to Rick Perry, just more toned down. Came in 1st in the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, her home state.

Rick Santorum - former Senator from Pennsylvania. More moderate than Perry and Bachmann, but do to low name recognition he's barely made a blip on the campaign trail.

Mitt Romney - Former governor of Massachusetts, has left leaning tendencies that he's trying to hide so he comes off at more Republican. He's currently the "front runner" with Rick Perry coming up strong. Many pundits will tell you that he has the best chance of beating Obama in the general election. This is second bid for the White House

Herman Caine - CEO of Godfather's Pizza. Typical Republican stance. He's the only African American Republican candidate. Nothing of note to really say about. Polling in single digits.

Jon Huntsman - Former Ambassador to China under President Obama. He's fluent in Chinese which is a foreign policy plus. He'll be releasing his jobs plan soon. Typical Republican stance, he was a late entry into the race, but is doing fairly well. His ties to Obama will be a detriment to him though during the primaries. Polling in single digits

Ron Paul - Current Senator, he is the only Libertarian candidate running right now. This is his third bid for the White House. He came in 2nd place in the Ames Straw poll. Ron Paul, believes that government has no place in anything, accept what is explicitly allowed in the Constitution. He has the support of many young people because of his stance on legalizing marijuana and his bluntness about the issues we face. However, his fringe ideas would be very hard to win over moderates and independents in the general election.

Newt Gingrich - Former Republican Speaker of the House, very intelligent but comes with a lot of political baggage. Typical Republican stance. He's polling in single digits right now.

Back
Top Bottom