OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

I'd say watch some of his videos on YouTube to learn some patterns. If you want his alerts, be prepared to get a new broker since he does a lot of shorting and not all brokers let you borrow OTCs.

I read an article that said there's $80 worth of parts in Google glass and the majority of expenses are the engineers.

Thoughts on Timothy Sykes? Real deal or what?
Real deal just really arrogant, you must use Sure Trader if you want to short stocks like him though. Im thinking about starting out with his watch list then switching over to Nate's Investors Live.

I read an article that said there's $80 worth of parts in Google glass and the majority of expenses are the engineers.

i'm swearing off trying to find the next gold rush shovel company. always just end up buying dirt.
Put myself in a huge rut trying to hit home runs before I was ready. Don't worry, be patient and focus on trading well. Eventually, if you do your job consistently, you'll have that golden ticket in your hands. Just keep studying and remember, small gains add up, nothing wrong with scalping and building your account until that big play comes your way.

I've been learning weeklies and I like them more when scalping the leaders (AAPL NFLX TSLA PCLN etc.) intraday since you could get really good risk reward if you have a cheap premium and time the move correctly. Things could move against you quickly, though, especially in this market, so you can't be indecisive and need to have that plan and willingness to admit your wrong quickly if you're playing size. That's the good thing with weeklies though, you could get make a 200 bet and gain 500 if you're right. Definitely can't bag hold and play the hope game with these or else the ice cube will melt on you due to time decay. I've heard it's best to not take any overnight for the most part unless you realized some gains and are playing with the house's money. Key to weeklies is a cheap premium, nice volume in the strike and a chart with good r/r.

Been reading up a little on implied volatility as well. That's an issue mostly if you're swinging options from what I've learned—doesn't matter too much when scalping intraday. Stocks like FEYE SPLK and WDAY have incredibly high IV right now, which apparently means it'll be tougher for you to profit on them, even if the common made a large move. One of the guys from IU thinks it's best if you're thinking about taking a few options into an earnings report to take the trade if the IV is low since if it's high and the stock moves well, you may not see much of a gain, if any. AAPL's IV before it's report and currently at the moment was pretty low.

i'm swearing off trying to find the next gold rush shovel company. always just end up buying dirt.
Put myself in a huge rut trying to hit home runs before I was ready. Don't worry, be patient and focus on trading well. Eventually, if you do your job consistently, you'll have that golden ticket in your hands. Just keep studying and remember, small gains add up, nothing wrong with scalping and building your account until that big play comes your way.

I've been learning weeklies and I like them more when scalping the leaders (AAPL NFLX TSLA PCLN etc.) intraday since you could get really good risk reward if you have a cheap premium and time the move correctly. Things could move against you quickly, though, especially in this market, so you can't be indecisive and need to have that plan and willingness to admit your wrong quickly if you're playing size. That's the good thing with weeklies though, you could get make a 200 bet and gain 500 if you're right. Definitely can't bag hold and play the hope game with these or else the ice cube will melt on you due to time decay. I've heard it's best to not take any overnight for the most part unless you realized some gains and are playing with the house's money. Key to weeklies is a cheap premium, nice volume in the strike and a chart with good r/r.

Been reading up a little on implied volatility as well. That's an issue mostly if you're swinging options from what I've learned—doesn't matter too much when scalping intraday. Stocks like FEYE SPLK and WDAY have incredibly high IV right now, which apparently means it'll be tougher for you to profit on them, even if the common made a large move. One of the guys from IU thinks it's best if you're thinking about taking a few options into an earnings report to take the trade if the IV is low since if it's high and the stock moves well, you may not see much of a gain, if any. AAPL's IV before it's report and currently at the moment was pretty low.

Also keep in mind of the wiiiiiiiiide spreads on those momentum stocks

sold my shares of HIMX today based on this article:

http://blogs.barrons.com/emergingma...le-glass-2014-sell/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Was hoping they would rebound somewhat but honestly its not worth the wait until 2015 to watch it go down to like $5 throughout the rest of the year.
I sold out too now 
tired.gif
  I ignored my rules and strategy and turned a trade that was profitable into a big loser.  Glad I was only playing with $3000 learning and not the $15,000 I was tempted to start playing with.  

Oh well, you live and you learn.  Sometimes failure is a good thing.  I'll be sure to stick to my strategy and not deviate from it in the future. 

I sold out too now 
tired.gif
  I ignored my rules and strategy and turned a trade that was profitable into a big loser.  Glad I was only playing with $3000 learning and not the $15,000 I was tempted to start playing with.  

Oh well, you live and you learn.  Sometimes failure is a good thing.  I'll be sure to stick to my strategy and not deviate from it in the future.
yes sir, live and learn. i'm like you in that I only really mess with money I can afford to lose. i really admire people who put their savings on the line in the market, those are the people who make it big i suppose. def not for me tho. i see $100 loss and i want to dig my own grave.

Thanks to @JohnnyRedStorm  and @Based Mod  for the suggestions. I have tons of learning left to do so for now i'm just going slow down and regroup.

I sold out too now |I   I ignored my rules and strategy and turned a trade that was profitable into a big loser.  Glad I was only playing with $3000 learning and not the $15,000 I was tempted to start playing with.  

Ouch. HIMX's RSI is at 18 right now. Might be worth a look for a quick scalp on the long side if it gaps down come Monday.

Ouch. HIMX's RSI is at 18 right now. Might be worth a look for a quick scalp on the long side if it gaps down come Monday.
Trust me I wasn't happy about selling out but with the run it made in 2013, at this point a gap down can from $7 to $5 or $4 and after getting beaten up by the stock I'm not willing to risk being destroyed by it to a certain extent.  I'll still keep an eye on the stock though, once it gets closer to 2015 I bet it will heat up because of gg. 

I warned y'all about the HIMX bear flags. I thought I did at least. Not trying to beat a dead horse but price is the only thing that pays short term even though this company may be huge long term. Fundamentals are only interpretations by each individual participant

Lessons, however painful, need to be learned. We all took some brutal beatings. I still do now and then. The great thing about participating in the market is there will always be more opportunities and we do not need to be perfect to make money. Hope you recover quickly rhythm808 rhythm808

Last edited:
I warned y'all about the HIMX bear flags. I thought I did at least. Not trying to beat a dead horse but price is the only thing that pays short term even though this company may be huge long term. Fundamentals are only interpretations by each individual participant

Lessons, however painful, need to be learned. We all took some brutal beatings. I still do now and then. The great thing about participating in the market is there will always be more opportunities and we do not need to be perfect to make money. Hope you recover quickly @Rhythm808
No worries that was a small fraction of my account, less than 5%

MON looks decent if it could breakout over 117.27 with volume. However I can't stand this pos company so I'm short biased if there's a failed breakout. Will only take the trade if 118-120 peaks out and there's lower highs. RSI isn't overbought so I wouldn't fight it since it could probably make a run at all time highs if it clears and holds 120 and then 130. Keeping an eye on it for now. Not a trade to rush into by any means since I have 0 desire to be long here, I just want that eventual fade.

V looks ok if it could get through 212 with volume. Could be a decent short as well if there's resistance around there.

>

before

GOGO - Gogo Inc
INO - Inovio Pharma

after

ARNA - Areana Pharma
LWAY - Lifeway Foods
MNKD - Mannkind
RAX - Rackspace
MCK - McKesson Corp

>

after

FOSL - Fossil Group
TTWO - Take-Two Interactive

>

before

DE - Deere & Co
DSX - Diana Shipping
KATE - kate spade
M - Macy's
PF - Pinnacle Foods
PLUG - Plug Power
SODA - Sodastream
IOC - Interoil Corp

after

CSCO - Cisco Systems
JACK - Jack In The Box
SEAS - SeaWorld Entertainment

>

before

AAP - Advance Auto Parts
KSS - Kohl's Corp
WMT - WalMart

after

ADSK - Autodesk
AMAT - Applied Materials
JCP - J. C. Penney
JWN - Nordstrom

>

before

SCCO - Southern Copper Corp

Last edited:

TRIP hit 86 in the morning as predicted. $120 price target should be bullish all week unless a systematic market break down occurs. very easy trade

HUM was an excellent trade it should gap up tomorrow and then become a short oppertunity 

to whomever is salty... well you are just salty. It does not change much... things are still going well on my side. You can't change it.

take the ideas that are given if you want. I am sharing them because I have taken a few from the board as of late.

My TRIP trade speaks for itself and was very transparent.

good luck
Good call, TRIP up 6%.

Fannie Mae up >10% today.. been all over this move past couple weeks. Ideally, I would like to see some higher consolidation for a few days so I can backup the truck. Target is 7-8 this run

Back
Top Bottom