OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

didn't get to respond to you freak ... first time in vegas... but i wasn't saying anything one way or the other ... i wouldn't want to be blamed for any loss of money regarding financials ever. I want every one in this thread to get PAID.

you called that apple dip this morning ... i swear i woke up on some i knew there would be a pullback and got in at 580 on april 620 C after seeing the low of 578. just lucky to be so close to the low for the day. Any higher and i wouldn't have made the purchase.

been researching nike ... i like what i'm seeing as well ...

i'm staying away from all these web stocks: zynga, lnkd, etc... don't understand them well enough to make a play

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

BAC 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
wink.gif

this guy is a prophet ... 

i hope u had some good money in that

For sure, I feel it.
I like NKE and it will be very interesting to see how the market reacts to sales boost they will pull in this Summer-Fall due to the Olympics and the new NFL deal.
I remain bullish on LNKD. It hasn't shown signs of breaking down IMO. The buyers and sellers are just having a nice tug of war at the 92-93 range. But I believe actions speak louder than words and speculation, and buyers have come in large volume these past few months. Again, IMO.
For my technical analysis people, do you see what I'm seeing with LNKD?

zlulaa.jpg

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

BAC 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
wink.gif

this guy is a prophet ... 

i hope u had some good money in that

Unfortunately no, I am still in the process of setting up my account.
ohwell.gif
I probably won't get started until the last week of this month. Which sucks, because I have a feeling this rally with slow down in April.

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

@ Freakydestroyer I've been eyeing this thread closely. what do you recommend? I'm a student with no job, so I have the time and capacity to learn something new. My funds are limited anyway, I have about 500 to blow.

If I'm in your shoes, I would look into currencies because there's no fees. If you trade stocks, you can burn that $500 quick just off fees and commissions. Or I would roll the dice with options. But both options and currencies have high risk/high reward. I would just save up until I get up to $2000. If you want me to get real specific, I'd throw the entire $500 in LNKD now. But that's just my opinion.
When you say currency, do you mean other countries markets?  Start betting on China's dough for example?
Currencies (FX) just like any other market involve fees, except in FX it's the bid/ask spread. Over time if you are an active trader or get get stopped out quickly this can take its toll on your bankroll. The great/bad thing about FX trading is that you can use an absurd amount of leverage. 20x, 50x, 100x leverage is not uncommon from certain brokers. This means with 50x leverage a 2% move (1/50) in your favor will double your bankroll and a 2% move against you will wipe you out... This can happen in half an hour on extremely volatile days. FX markets can be especially volatile and hard to understand sometimes, but fundamental analysis is all about macroeconomic factors (GDP, inflation, monetary policy, fiscal policy, retail sales, industrial production numbers, trade balance, current account, etc.) technical analysis mostly. If you have don't access to information on major FX flows from a dealer in a big bank or knowledge of the book, the chips are stacked against you... FX is 24 hours 5.5 days a week market from Sunday Asia open to Friday North America close.
Anyways I will stop ranting, but let me know if you guys have any questions about the FX markets since I work as a trader within this asset class. I'll be glad to share any information/knowledge I might have.

BAC 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Yes, I made some decent money today for the amount of principal I put in. 
Been reading up on options, I think I'm about to get in the game with those. I've always understood the basics, but yesterday I really took some time and understand everything about them now. I'm thinking a call on BAC, but I need to crunch the numbers a bit because the commission might not make it a really profitable option buy. 

Also, someone mentioned SKUL (Skullcandy). School me on them, aren't they just making headphones? 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JC08

Currencies (FX) just like any other market involve fees, except in FX it's the bid/ask spread. Over time if you are an active trader or get get stopped out quickly this can take its toll on your bankroll. The great/bad thing about FX trading is that you can use an absurd amount of leverage. 20x, 50x, 100x leverage is not uncommon from certain brokers. This means with 50x leverage a 2% move (1/50) in your favor will double your bankroll and a 2% move against you will wipe you out... This can happen in half an hour on extremely volatile days. FX markets can be especially volatile and hard to understand sometimes, but fundamental analysis is all about macroeconomic factors (GDP, inflation, monetary policy, fiscal policy, retail sales, industrial production numbers, trade balance, current account, etc.) technical analysis mostly. If you have don't access to information on major FX flows from a dealer in a big bank or knowledge of the book, the chips are stacked against you... FX is 24 hours 5.5 days a week market from Sunday Asia open to Friday North America close.
Anyways I will stop ranting, but let me know if you guys have any questions about the FX markets since I work as a trader within this asset class. I'll be glad to share any information/knowledge I might have.

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I mentioned on the last page, I have little to no experience with currencies. It was a suggestion for those starting off with little money. It can be high risk/high reward, but I figured a rookie day trader might want to try that given the many hours there are to trade.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

BAC 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Yes, I made some decent money today for the amount of principal I put in. 
Been reading up on options, I think I'm about to get in the game with those. I've always understood the basics, but yesterday I really took some time and understand everything about them now. I'm thinking a call on BAC, but I need to crunch the numbers a bit because the commission might not make it a really profitable option buy. 

Also, someone mentioned SKUL (Skullcandy). School me on them, aren't they just making headphones? 
grin.gif
Chiptole only makes burritos right? I don't care if the company makes ballerina shoes, as long as it brings in the green
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. But to answer your question, the company has been growing at an impressive pace and it looks like investors and institutions are stepping in based on the volume. If you look at their products you can see that they are reasonably priced and are designed with themes to appeal to all kind of audiences. They have sports teams, celebrities, cartoon designs, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I mentioned on the last page, I have little to no experience with currencies. It was a suggestion for those starting off with little money. It can be high risk/high reward, but I figured a rookie day trader might want to try that given the many hours there are to trade.

Cool, didn't mean to come off as stepping on your toes just have heard so many horror stories about novice traders bowing up! Definitely start with a practice account first and learn nuances first is my suggestion.

Skullcandy a few years ago was a M&A target since I know the botique firm that was assisting w/ the proposals. Wonder if that'll pick up again.

I did a Money Direct transfer from my bank to Scottrade thinking it would be faster since I couldn't make it to the branch. Transfer takes 3 business days as opposed to the 0-1 if I went to the branch and gave them a money order.

Fail.

Edit: I took another look at GLW, how did you come across this one?
Just saw your edit from yesterday. First checked it out after I saw a thread on here about the glass house of the future with every wall, counter, etc. being an interactive display, then found out my dad traded it a bit but got out so I took my first position at 13.85 after it sold from like 15. Read an article the other day on SeekingAlpha about the possibility of the next iPhone being encased in some kinda super glass made (there wouldnt be that metal strip going around the phone) by them that Walter Isaacson hinted about in the Portuguese and Greek versions of the Steve Jobs biography. Obviousy that's just a speculative inference but if it were true, it would definitely help GLW. Personally, I love the stock at its current levels, it's a cheap, solid company that makes a good product and should go upward as technology develops.

Cool, didn't mean to come off as stepping on your toes just have heard so many horror stories about novice traders bowing up! Definitely start with a practice account first and learn nuances first is my suggestion.

No worries. I am actually glad you cleared that up. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Just saw your edit from yesterday. First checked it out after I saw a thread on here about the glass house of the future with every wall, counter, etc. being an interactive display, then found out my dad traded it a bit but got out so I took my first position at 13.85 after it sold from like 15. Read an article the other day on SeekingAlpha about the possibility of the next iPhone being encased in some kinda super glass made (there wouldnt be that metal strip going around the phone) by them that Walter Isaacson hinted about in the Portuguese and Greek versions of the Steve Jobs biography. Obviousy that's just a speculative inference but if it were true, it would definitely help GLW. Personally, I love the stock at its current levels, it's a cheap, solid company that makes a good product and should go upward as technology develops.

It actually looked to me like it was manipulated the past few days to meet option strike prices right before expiration. Not singling it out because it happens to A LOT of stocks. But it might have a bright future, I'd keep an eye on it.

Yuku is failing today, as usual. Freak Destroyer, I first found out about GLW after a thread on here about the glass house of the future with the glass walls and counters that were interactive displays. Then I learned my father was trading it and after he sold out and the stock came down from like 15, I grabbed my first position and have been holding ever since, buying the dips...except for last weeks when it was at 12.70 because I thought it might come down another 10 cents
30t6p3b.gif
Got greedy.

Do you guys think will keep on rising, or will there be a correction? Because it has increased like crazy in the past month....

And Nike seems like a good investment, let's wait and see, but I think I'll be buying some NIke stocks over the summer, then wait for earnings reports of Q3...

Same for Adidas.

As for now, I have no idea what to buy, the rally of the past few months, seems to be coming to an end...

Yuku is failing today, as usual. Freak Destroyer, I first found out about GLW after a thread on here about the glass house of the future with the glass walls and counters that were interactive displays. Then I learned my father was trading it and after he sold out and the stock came down from like 15, I grabbed my first position and have been holding ever since, buying the dips...except for last weeks when it was at 12.70 because I thought it might come down another 10 cents
30t6p3b.gif
Got greedy.

I actually saw your post on the last page, but thanks!

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Do you guys think will keep on rising, or will there be a correction? Because it has increased like crazy in the past month....

And Nike seems like a good investment, let's wait and see, but I think I'll be buying some NIke stocks over the summer, then wait for earnings reports of Q3...

Same for Adidas.

As for now, I have no idea what to buy, the rally of the past few months, seems to be coming to an end...
The markets will top when we see several consecutive days of weakness. It can keep running, we'll see. I think now is actually the time to get into NKE. The stock market discounts all news. Look at AAPL for instance, the iPad 3 came out today, shouldn't it skyrocket??
And I actually wasn't even aware that Adidas has a stock ticker. 

I like GLW.  Insider just bought 150k shares at 12.75.  Low p/e, technicals look promising.  Went long May 15 calls today.

Also went long NXY June 22 calls.

Keeping an eye on RCL(long) and CCI (short)

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

I like GLW.  Insider just bought 150k shares at 12.75.  Low p/e, technicals look promising.  Went long May 15 calls today.

What are your strikes?

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

I was looking at this one too. *thumbs up*

AAPL's price already had the iPad 3 factored in.. that's why there was no jump.. the next jump/fall related to the iPad 3 is when they release sales numbers.  In my opinion.

Originally Posted by TheKidStaten

AAPL's price already had the iPad 3 factored in.. that's why there was no jump.. the next jump/fall related to the iPad 3 is when they release sales numbers.  In my opinion.
That's what I said. The stock market discounts all news. I used that an as example to explain why to not wait until earnings to get into NKE.

I see, well I understand that, but regarding Nike I don't think it really has too many reasons to rise until the summer, because thats when people should start buying, because of the olympics, or am I incorrect?

And well yeah Apple is tough, sales reports should become a reason for rising, but then again after the iPhone expectations are high, but there is also the new MBP line due in april or june. Too bad their stocks are so expensive...

Why does NXY seem like a good call? Seems like a declining trend until maybe 17.50, no?

Adidas is on the Frankfurt stock exchange, part of the DAX. ADS.

Back
Top Bottom