OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Started my position in JOEZ in late October. My cost basis is $1.01. I'm +$10,672.87 or +68%. Looking to get out at $2.05. The current uptrend will continue until at least their next earnings report in April. 

good ish :smokin

my boy has been holding a substantial EXM position at 0.43 average.. stock hit 1.12 on friday. The worst thing is that he kept saying to me watch it always rebounds blah blah. I'm kicking myself for that :smh:

updated watch list on my blog if anyone is interested

oh btw.. from last thursday, one of the guys in the IU chat $120k trade :smokin

Last edited:
You don't unless you are a market maker. You just have to realize it and grab profit from the middle. Whoever says they can pick exact tops and bottoms is BSing.

Lol. Well how do you evaluate when you're in a ripe middle position?

You don't know that either, but my point is chances are you are only going to grab profits from the middle. Calling tops and bottoms is a losers game, just focus more on locking profits.

You don't know that either, but my point is chances are you are only going to grab profits from the middle. Calling tops and bottoms is a losers game, just focus more on locking profits.

I agree. I don't see how the charts posted indicated a top or bottom was being called though. Seemed more along the lines of taking profits in the middle as you said. Waiting for confirmation isn't really calling a top or bottom. How do you analyze your "in the middle" trades?

I agree. I don't see how the charts posted indicated a top or bottom was being called though. Seemed more along the lines of taking profits in the middle as you said. Waiting for confirmation isn't really calling a top or bottom. How do you analyze your "in the middle" trades?

There's not really a way. I just have a thing against obvious horitzontal line "breakout" points, which is what I was pointing out earlier. I'm now saying That calling tops, bottoms, and breakpoints all fall into a losing category.

Last edited:
Horizontal breakouts work for me. It's as simple as supply and demand. If there is no recent overhead supply a big move can be triggered eg. MNTX yesterday or SRPT today. I like to keep it simple and not over complicate things. What works for me might not work for everyone.. We can agree to disagree haha

Horizontal breakouts work for me. It's as simple as supply and demand. If there is no recent overhead supply a big move can be triggered eg. MNTX yesterday or SRPT today. I like to keep it simple and not over complicate things. What works for me might not work for everyone.. We can agree to disagree haha

I'm not saying it doesn't work. If it works for you then great. I just don't like to get into trades that look too obvious. There's a method for everyone and theres not one that works every time, it all depends on the trader.

what do you guys think of American Apparel (APP)?

I've been watching it for a month while it was hovering around $1.50 it just reached it's 52-week high of around $2.35

Seeing as how it the price has gone up around 50% in the last month,  would it still be wise to get in now?

I am hoping for some kind of dip/correction and overall i feel as though it is a good company with room for expansion

I've been watching it for a month while it was hovering around $1.50 it just reached it's 52-week high of around $2.35

Seeing as how it the price has gone up around 50% in the last month,
 would it still be wise to get in now?

I am hoping for some kind of dip/correction and overall i feel as though it is a good company with room for expansion

I think with a stock at that price, there aren't any wise moves other than not getting into it. I don't trade though, so maybe someone else has a differing, more informed opinion.

Penny stocks are for the most part lotto tickets. In other words, if you plan to throw some money in it expect to lose all or most of it. It might work in your favor, it might not. But it just needs just a little bit of buying to pump it up. Its not a pink sheet stock, but it's still a penny.

I've got a buddy that told me he had two locks for penny stocks that didn't do anything :lol: Not really my cup of tea, I have enough stress with my job to play that game.

Yeah I don't usually play the penny stock pumps but a few promoters have gotten hot lately. See GOFF. Penny stocks are very risky especially if they do not have decent volume. I will begin to dabble here and there with small $ positions

I wouldn't consider American Apparel a penny stock because its a legit company but most people consider anything $5 and under a penny stock. I wouldn't consider Joes Jeans a penny stock either. Just my opinion fwiw

I would wait for a pullback to the $2-2.10 area.. missed buying opportunity today imo. Maybe get another chance next week. APP has gone up $1 in less than a month. That is a huge move for a security with this price. The stock is under accumulation and the volume has been impressive in March.

JOEZ is going off right now, $1.08 to $1.97 in three months. Someone in here had some shares, do you see Joe's Jeans as a sell or a hold? I've heard some analysts say they are selling once/if it hits $2.05...

JOEZ is going off right now, $1.08 to $1.97 in three months. Someone in here had some shares, do you see Joe's Jeans as a sell or a hold? I've heard some analysts say they are selling once/if it hits $2.05...

Don't believe what the analysts say imo. My recommendation would be to scale out of your position and move your stop up accordingly. You can sell 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 at 2.05 then put your stop in at the 1.90-1.99 area

I bought the book on the Can Slim trading method, has anyone heard of this or have experience following their model ? Im a complete newb fml

I bought the book on the Can Slim trading method, has anyone heard of this or have experience following their model ? Im a complete newb fml

We discussed this before. It's not so much the method that will determine your success, because they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Think of it like Rock, Paper, Scissors. It all depends on your management of the method. With that being said, Im going to assume most people here do not have the funds or patience to use CANSLIM to its entirety.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm realllly new to stocks and investing....I set up a roth IRA last yr when I had a summer internship and thats basically the extent of my investing til now...but I went to a finance seminar at school and the main speaker drove home some points that made me want to start actually investing in companies, specifically diverisfying your money. I'm still new to reading the stock charts and analyzing the numbers but I think I have a pretty solid grasp on them from just doing research and playing the wall st. survivor simulator game.

I started up an acct. on Sharebuilder since they allow fractional shares and I'm not looking to be trading anything on a daily basis and really am looking long term like 3-5 yrs minimum on stocks....and doing some research I looked up Warren Buffet's holdings to get an idea of what companies he thinks are solid investments. So I set up my acct. for automatic 50$ deposits every month (still on my meager college budget but I wanna increase this amt. once I start working :lol:) and I decided to include just 3 companies in my "portfolio" there: AAPL, BRK-B, and TGT (Target).

I know 50/ month isn't gonna add up to even 1 share of apple for a good while but is this a smart/good way for me to kinda get my feet wet? Also, I've been comparing Nike and UA the past few days and reading up, and Under Armour seems pretty solid and has a lot of potential since they're really only just starting to focus more on international sales so would UA be good to add in your guys opinion? Or since I'm really just trying to grow over time should I focus on really established stocks initially? :nerd:

Also, not trying to get in y'alls personal business but how many different company stocks is "typical" for a person to invest in? Like 10-15?

Thanks for any help fellas...and sorry if these are silly questions but like I said, I'm still trying to learn

Last edited:
SRPT beat down after hours.. 49 to 33 sheesh
Wonder why they took such a hit, the market was down today, but that's a big drop.  Looks like the FDA is looking into their muscular dystrophy drug, so I would think people would hold to see if it gets approved...

Back
Top Bottom