OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

What companies? What about them has caught your eye?

Are you looking long term or short term? Each response has a different strategy.

Never invest in an industry or company where you dont know or understand the business model and how they make money.

you'd be surprised by how many people dont know what KO Coca cola does to make money

Pharmaceutical companies as well as technological. Pfzer and Intel... I'm not sure how it works but if some new drug came out or technological advancement ...

I'm sure people have looked into this and there must be something I'm unaware...

IDK I just thought investing in these would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Pharmaceutical companies as well as technological. Pfzer and Intel... I'm not sure how it works but if some new drug came out or technological advancement ...

I'm sure people have looked into this and there must be something I'm unaware...

IDK I just thought investing in these would be a good idea.

All ideas are thoughts, its the thoughts you put into action (plans) that are powerful. Those plans can only be put together if you understand the landscape of what you are doing, you have to make decisions and the best decisions are only made when you have all the knowledge about a company not product in front of you.

If you dont have that information or are willing to learn how to review it you are wasting your time and most importantly your money.

I may look to buy a few shares of GOOGL after this sell off is over.

FB selling off in sympathy. Should be a fun one to trade tomorrow.

GOOG & IBM down AH. SNDK up.

For tomorrow:

>

before

AN - AutoNation
BAX - Baxter International
BHI - Baker Hughes
CMG - Chipotle Mexican Grill
CY - Cypress Semiconductor
DD - Du Pont
GE - General Electric
GS - Goldman Sachs
HON - Honeywell
KEY - Key Corp
MAT - Mattel
MS - Morgan Stanley
PEP - Pepsico
PM - Philip Morris
PPG - PPG Industries
SHW - Sherwin Williams
SLB - Schlumberger
UNP - Union Pacific

after

AMD - Advance Micro Devices
ATHN - Athena Health

Interested in seeing what CMG GS MS release in the morning.. may offer some nice shorts if the market doesn't like earnings. All three charts look like bear flags so I am leaning towards misses

Snagged some GIG for a swing today - decent chart, low risk entry

LIVE too, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't get dumped even lower

CMG's reversal :wow:

Last edited:
Happy days are here again.

Think so?

Capture-821397761725.png

Banks are reporting well for the most part. GOOG and IBM looking down isn't helping

I need a big volume day where we hold gains in FB, AAPL, etc. to think we're back on track. Probably get some relief bounces so we'll see how far they go.

I s/s SNDK a little this morning but hesitated eod and missed that nice sell off. Also didn't make what I should've on that scalp since I scaled in a little too early and got shaken out initially. Made back what I lost and just enough to cover commissions. Decent lesson learned though and I covered well before it began grinding up.

Last edited:
I'm sittin on 7 Gs worth of PHOT. not too happy about that. Just got it a few days before it was halted too. Trying to make as much bank this week to lessen the blow I will get from that free fall. Anyone else have it? If it really tanks ill just hang onto it and wait. If its halfway decent of a company it may bounce back to a decent level. Not ready to flush 7 grand on Friday

This is my first Good Friday with a brokerage account. Feels weird having to go to work with Wall Street closed :lol:

I'm sittin on 7 Gs worth of PHOT. not too happy about that. Just got it a few days before it was halted too. Trying to make as much bank this week to lessen the blow I will get from that free fall. Anyone else have it? If it really tanks ill just hang onto it and wait. If its halfway decent of a company it may bounce back to a decent level. Not ready to flush 7 grand on Friday

:x Didn't realize trading is still halted for them.

Personally, I would never put any meaningful amount of money into penny stocks. I'm as much of a gambler as the next guy, but throwing cash into an obscure company in an unproven sector like medical mj is a no-no even in my book.

ZGNX not looking too hot of late either.

Good luck, Belle. That's a tough spot to be in.

OTCs provide some great opportunities but they gotta be treated as just trading vehicles. Get in them intraday, ride the trend and cash out by the close. Feel like there might be some other pot stocks getting halted eventually. CANA has been ridiculous. Saw a promo for it the other day and it's taken a 50% haircut since then. Can't marry these things.

Looking back on BIOF, man that was a perfect storm of events. High short interest, oversold market with people salivating to go long, hot sector. I should've had a more concrete plan and taken a feeler position that I added into as it worked and squeezed. It's good going back each day and analyzing the trades you did or didn't take and why. To me, it's like an athlete in the film room studying himself and his opponent.

I've been drawing lines lately as I trade or stalk intraday. I've found it helpful to outline support and resistance levels that I try to trade around whether for real or on paper. As well as possible flags and downtrend lines. I recommend some of you new guys try that out if you haven't.

Last edited:
What's going on with gold? :x

Capture-77-521398046068.png

GLD not looking very healthy either

Capture2-911398046145.png

What's gonna be a catalyst to get it moving up?

>

before

HAL - Halliburton
HAS - Hasbro
KMB - Kimberly-Clark

after

NFLX - Netflix
RMBS - Rambus

>

before

LMT - Lockheed Martin
LXK - Lexmark
MCD - McDonalds

after

AMGN - Amgen
GILD - Gilead
SWKS - Skyworks Solutions
T - AT&T
VMW - VMware
XOOM - Xoom Corp
YUM - Yum Brands

>

before

ARMH - ARM Holdings
BA - Boeing
BIIB - Biogen Idec
DAL - Delta Airlines
DOW - Dow Chemical
DPS - Dr Pepper Snapple
EMC - EMC Corp
GD - General Dynamics
NOC - Northrop Grumman
NSC - Norfolk Southern Corp
RAI - Reynolds American
SVU - SUPERVALU

after

AAPL - Apple
FB - Facebook
FFIV - F5 Networks
ORLY - O'Reilly Automotive
QCOM - Qualcomm
SWY - safeway
TQNT - TriQuint Semiconductor
TXN - Texas Instruments
XLNX - Xilinx
ZNGA - Zynga

>

before

AAL - American Airlines
AET - Aetna
CAT - Caterpillar
CELG - Celgene
COG - Cabot Oil & Gas
DHI - DR Horton
DLPH - Delphi Automotive
DNKN - Dunkin' Brands
GIMO - Gigamon
GM - General Motors
HSY - Hershey Co
JBLU - JetBlue Air
LLY - Eli Lilly
LO - Lorillard
LUV - Southwest Airlines
MMM - 3M
MO - Altria
NBL - Noble Energy
PHM - PulteGroup
POT - Potash Corp
RTN - Raytheon
SWK - Stanley Black & Decker
TWC - Time Warner Cable
UA - Under Armour
UAL - United Continental
UHS - Universal Health Services
UPS - United Parcel Service
VZ - Verizon

after

ALTR - Altera Corp
AMZN - Amazon.com
BIDU - Baidu
BRCM - Broadcom
CRUS - Cirrus Logic
DECK - Deckers Outdoor
LVS - Las Vegas Sands
MAS - Masco Corp
MLNX - Mellanox Technologies
MSFT - Microsoft
NTGR - Netgear
P - Pandora
RGC - Regal Entertainment Group
SBUX - Starbucks
SWFT - Swift Transportation

>

before

ABBV - AbbVie
AEP - American Electric Power
ALK - Alaska Air Group
BKW - Burger King
F - Ford
VFC - VF Corp
WHR - Whirlpool
WY - Weyerhaeuser

NFLX, AAPL, FB, FFIV, MSFT, BIDU, AMZN, P, F :nerd:

i see alot of programs that scans stocks probability are they rip offs? Do you guys use any type of stock programs other than the brokers programs?

^ I don't see how stock scanners can be rips offs if you're the one making the trade. I suppose it's up to you to determine what information is good and what is not.

-----------------

Yall remember when SRPT was at 12? Touched 40 today before settling at 34 :x

NFLX beat. Currently +6% AH.

Looking forward to see what bios/pharmas can do this week - BIIB, AMGN, GILD, CELG, LLY. PFE buying AZN really interesting as well, especially when I have a lot of work friends with Medimmune who's owned by AZN.

Last edited:
Best part was that Barron's article was basically noise for SRPT.

Stock scanners are useful if you know how to trade and what to look for. Like Based said, it's on you to know what to do with the info.

Sounds like VRX and Ackerman are making a push to take over AGN.

Been in the market for about 2 weeks now. Bought FB at 58.34 which has been doing relatively well as of late. Got BAC a few days ago at 16.48 because i thought the earnings report would give it a boost. Did not turn out that way. Should I hold on to BAC for a few more quarters when these settlements are behind them or sell while i can? 

Wanted to pick up a call for ICPT the last two sessions but got scared [emoji]128557[/emoji]

Bios breaking the trend

Capture-361398187186.png

Back
Top Bottom