OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Going all in on TSLA leading up to the announcement, then taking it off the table. Yay or nah?

I'm gonna look to put some kind of spread on before the close Wednesday to play the event if I price something nice out.

Going all in on TSLA leading up to the announcement, then taking it off the table. Yay or nah?

For the Model 3?

For whatever this was about

By57o4jCYAECwsq.jpg

About time to unveil the D and something else pic.twitter.com/qp23yi59i6
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2014

Model D? Has to be something different from the Model 3 right?

As a fan of the company itself, I'm excited for Elon to unveil his D :evil:

I'm gonna look to put some kind of spread on before the close Wednesday to play the event if I price something nice out.

In which direction?

Last edited:

About time to unveil the D and something else pic.twitter.com/qp23yi59i6
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2014

As a fan of the company itself, I'm excited for Elon to unveil his D
devil.gif
That tweet + that emoticon
roll.gif

I haven't been keeping up with TSLA much, is it confirmed that the Model 3 wasn't a code name for the Model D?  I remember the Model 3 was supposed to debut later this year and there was concern that TSLA wouldn't be able to keep it around $30-$35k.

I would never go all in on one stock, but I can't see it taking much of a hit unless the price is considerably higher than what people are anticipating.

I heard the D could just be a model S with AWD Idk. We'll see.

Based, I'm gonna wait and see how the price action is next week and what the at the money straddle is before getting too biased. Chart's been weak but that was a decent candle printed today. Would like to see this one hold above the cloud to be long biased. As well as seeing the lagging indicator (red line) crossing the 9 period (blue) to the upside. 26 period (pink) could be resistance.

7PwE7D.png

Any of you guys familiar with savings bonds? I've got some EE's that I'm thinking about redeeming. Half are 5 years away from maturity, the other half were issued in 2001. Cool seeing the difference in interest rates (4% for those issued in 89 vs 1.7 % issued in 01).

What's the process like? Is it annoying and should I only redeem half at once?

Last edited:
Any of y'all mess with ETFs? :nerd:   Thinking of playing some AGQ if Silver keeps moving up.

I dabbled in gold miners (GDX, NUGT, JNUG). I don't follow silver, but if it's anything like gold, it's taken a huge hit for two years going. It might be able to make a temporary bounce, but the trend is down. I use those ETFs as short-term trading vehicles. Get in, get out.

Last edited:
Start off by going through the past 20 pages of this thread. Similar questions get asked weekly so there's been a bunch of book recommendations/material posted throughout.

Off the top of my head:
Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor
Jesse Livermore's book
William O'Neill's book
Brian Shannon's Technical Analysis and Using Multiple Time Frames
Cloud Charts by David Linton

Learn your time frame and bust your *** studying. This game is all about managing your risk. Learn how to do it and instill positive habits from the get go. Create a plan, follow it and respect your stops and you won't need to worry about emotions or fear.

TSLA gapping up nicely off that Model D news. My put fly will likely expire worthless unless it goes g/r today, which is possible. Lesson here is to maybe have used a put spread since it's easier to get filled at the target before expiration than a butterfly. Had an offer out yesterday for .58 but no luck.

Some GPRO news. Figured a secondary or something would happen at these highs. Founders released early from lock-up restriction:
http://www.streetinsider.com/Inside...82M+Post-IPO+Lock-Up+Restriction/9879491.html

Let's see how much this dilutes the stock these next two days or if buyers come in here regardless.

Edit: I saw this in FEYE and we're seeing this in GPRO right now. They ramp the stock all the way up just to unload shares on you. You always gotta be aware of these IPOs and their lock up info/potential for secondary offerings. So important to have a plan and know your max pain.

Where's the best place to get the reading material?

Also is there a guide to some of the abbreviations thats been said and explanation of options? Not the tickers but the other shorthand used.

Thanks again.

Check out investopedia.com for the terms. Lot of the stuff you just pick up and learn with time if you immerse yourself in stocks and a good trading community.

Options are tough. You buy something front month (an option that expires this current month or next) and you're gonna get eaten up by theta (time decay) if you're out of the money and the stock trades sideways. Then there's the volatility factor. When the market goes down volatility goes up and when the market rebounds back volatility decreases so the premiums of calls drops (when you buy calls you're long volatility). It seems like a lot but with time it makes sense. Joining KeeneOnTheMarket has helped me immensely to learn options and the various ways to play them.

You need to be patient on this journey and it's perfectly fine to start slow and gradually build your way up. Take a few days/weeks watching the markets and trading on paper. You rush, you try to make money, that's when you lose money. You gotta only trade when it makes sense.

Last edited:
Check out investopedia.com for the terms. Lot of the stuff you just pick up and learn with time if you immerse yourself in stocks and a good trading community.

Options are tough. You buy something front month (an option that expires this current month or next) and you're gonna get eaten up by theta (time decay) if you're out of the money and the stock trades sideways. Then there's the volatility factor. When the market goes down volatility goes up and when the market rebounds back volatility decreases so the premiums of calls drops (when you buy calls you're long volatility). It seems like a lot but with time it makes sense. Joining KeeneOnTheMarket has helped me immensely to learn options and the various ways to play them.

You need to be patient on this journey and it's perfectly fine to start slow and gradually build your way up. Take a few days/weeks watching the markets and trading on paper. You rush, you try to make money, that's when you lose money. You gotta only trade when it makes sense.

I bought some JCP a while ago since it looked like it would go up and i had nothing to do with my money. I sholdve sold when it hit 11 but i got greedy and wanted twelve.

I'll start learning more and put my money is something relatively stable for a while.

Also in terms of shorting how big is the upfront fee? There are some stocks i think it'd be good to short but im not sure if the fee would erase any profit.

When you make money on a trade, try selling half and raising your stop to break even or a little higher if you want to get greedy. This way, if your greed backfires (which it could) you'll at least lock in profits and be stopped out flat on the last half(instead of losing money on a winning trade).

You have blow out risk when shorting so always use a stop and don't fight the trend if you're wrong. If a stock is going parabolic, wait for a lower high that you could base your risk off of/backside of the move.

Fees come down to your broker and whether or not the stock is hard to borrow. I know a guy in IU chat that got borrows for BABA on the day of the IPO. 1000 shares cost him $414 to just borrow the stock. But the kid is a great trader, he got in at 99 and covered in the 92s so the 414 he paid to have that chance wasn't a big deal. You gotta know your risk-reward to assess whether or not it's worth paying a fee to borrow.

Could always get around the borrowing issue if you trade options. Could swing a short with deep in the money puts, run a put spread, etc. if you can't get borrows or don't want to pay up. Good thing with puts (long as you're buying them to open not selling them to open) max you could lose is what you pay and not infinity if you shorted common since a stock could theoretically go up forever.

Truth on what johnnyredstorm johnnyredstorm said. I lurk this thread more than contribute but always use investopedia for information and to learn. It's definitely a process but dedication and discipline will see you through.

I dabbled in gold miners (GDX, NUGT, JNUG). I don't follow silver, but if it's anything like gold, it's taken a huge hit for two years going. It might be able to make a temporary bounce, but the trend is down. I use those ETFs as short-term trading vehicles. Get in, get out.
Yeah, I wouldn't be holding longer than a day, not even sure if I can with a double-leveraged ETF.  I have to do a bit more research on them though.

I bought some JCP a while ago since it looked like it would go up and i had nothing to do with my money. I sholdve sold when it hit 11 but i got greedy and wanted twelve.

I'll start learning more about options and short. Would 2k be enough to short most stocks?

Wiz loves to short so maybe he could give you a little more insight on the process and mindset needed when s/s. For now, I'd say just trade any short ideas you have on paper and slowly work your way into real money. Same goes for options since they seem so complex at first and there's a lot of little things you learn along the way.

Learning how to plan and execute that plan is a big part of trading. If you want to day trade, then you need to be flexible and have two plans for the open: one if the stock is up, another if it's down. You need to be familiar with support and resistance levels (good to be aware of previous day's LoD or HoD) and have an overall familiarity with price action. Over/under whole and half dollar marks are usually decent guides.

Download ThinkOrSwim if you haven't, no need to fund an account, but create one just to use their platform and mobile app. Watch stocks trade out long enough and you'll start seeing the patterns and everything slowly starts clicking. Draw trend lines, support, resistance, etc. Treat your charts like an athlete would treat his game film.

It takes time, but if you want to do this consistently and you're willing to be patient and positive and put in the effort to study each day, it'll click. Just always know your money is your inventory, don't overtrade, trade out of boredom, or get emotional. Without your inventory you have no business so manage risk and keep your losses small. Let stocks come to you.

SRPT starting to look little more interesting. Catching a sympathy bid cause of that Ebola stuff.

Gonna see where the market is Monday, but I'm gonna look and see if I could get a cheap call spread and swing some here. Small size since I have a fascination with this one.

Would like to see this break through the cloud and close above it. Lagging indicator is testing the cloud so let's see if there's resistance Monday or if dips get bought up.

Last edited:
Supere shorting stocks is an art just like trading. Patience, money, and a plan are necessary. I say money because in order to become a good trader you need experience. Chances are you will lose money in the beginning. I did, JRS did. I blew up multiple small accounts in the beginning by not being discipline. I wanted to trade everything. This is not possible. You will miss out on killer moves but there will always be more. That's key to remember. I wrote a post about shorting momentum stocks for day trades on my blog if you want to check that out. I don't know what stage you are at as a trader so I don't know how useful it will be at this point. http://stockenigma.com/short-selling-momentum-stocks/

If you have specific questions feel free to pm me

This ZU looks ok.

Would like to see it get above and hold that 9 period average to anticipate the 40 push. Lagging indicator needs to keep heading higher. Could fail at 40 or around 42 but if it has volume and the market is strong a gap fill at 45 is possible. Needs to hold 38 and stay above the cloud/26 period average or else there's a chance it flushes to 35.64 or worse.

Gonna see where we are and price some stuff out on Monday.

$GTAT filing for bankruptcy, phew I lucked out waiting on the business update from management before re-entering...something is criminally wrong with the way those dominoes fell..

The ichimoku cloud. It's an indicator that I learned from KeeneOnTheMarket and I've found it to be a helpful guide to quickly gauge how healthy a stock is, where to base my risk, potential resistance/support areas.

You could get the cloud for free on StockCharts.com and through ThinkorSwim.

Intraday, the cloud works best on the 5 minute and with trending stocks (Keene loves using it for AAPL, TSLA, FB, TWTR). And at the open, he likes to use the break and close above the cloud as a buy signal, and below it a sell signal.

Using the cloud with the daily chart, when the stock is above the cloud and the lagging indicator is trending upward, it is in bullish territory. When it is below the cloud, it's bearish (and if the lagging indicator crosses the cloud to the downside that's considered confirmation). Inside the cloud, is considered neutral territory.

Here's TWTR's daily with the cloud:

The lagging indicator is the red line. The 9 period average is the blue, and the 26 is the pink. So far this one would be consider bullish since the stock is above the averages and the cloud and the lagging indicator is trending higher.

Here's FEYE's daily

As you could see it's below the cloud and lately when it tested the cloud, it failed to break above it. And the lagging indicator is trending lower.

It's a guide like everything else. I like using it along with price action to see how I want to plan trades, where to stop out or add in.

Looking at SPY here

JiX7Ya.png

It broke under the cloud, the dip got bought up and now it's back into the cloud. If it closes above the cloud and continues trading above it, we're in decent shape. If it breaks down below the cloud and trades beneath it for significant time, that's correction territory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom