OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Expecting some fireworks of another significant crash to start this week. Grabbed some spy puts on friday. Futures looking down.

i have had 401k for about 2 years now i have a little over 2600 in it and i was recently laid off so i was thinking about investing it somehow but i have noclue where to start........ i hear gold is on the rise is it too late too invest any other ideas would help thanks in advance.................... and i justurned 22 so if you was wondering why my 401k is so low

I would never sell AAPL before earnings....seems like every damn year they "beat" "analysts' expectations".

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Damn, AAPL killed it.

Didn't they recently change their accounting practices regarding the iphones/ipods?

I think it had something to do with a holding period on recording iphone sale numbers or something. When does/did the accounting change come into effect? If italready did, the first quarter that the accounting change takes place will probably skew the earnings. AAPL does good regardless, but the quarter that theymake those changes will be beastly.

AAPL has a good formula regarding their iphones and ipods.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Damn, AAPL killed it.

Didn't they recently change their accounting practices regarding the iphones/ipods?

I think it had something to do with a holding period on recording iphone sale numbers or something. When does/did the accounting change come into effect? If it already did, the first quarter that the accounting change takes place will probably skew the earnings. AAPL does good regardless, but the quarter that they make those changes will be beastly.

AAPL has a good formula regarding their iphones and ipods.
Great question, I'm not sure. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to figure out in the disclosures.
However, they still saw growth...
The company sold 7.4 million iPhones, 3.05 million Mac computers and 10.2 million iPods. Mac and iPhone sales rose to record levels, though iPod sales were down 8% from the year-earlier period.
The accounting would surely impact part of it, but sheer growth would fuel a lot of this especially if they increased margins.

As of the 3Q they recognized revenue:

Revenue Recognition

Net sales consist primarily of revenue from the sale of hardware, software, music products, third-party digital content and applications, peripherals, and service and support contracts. The Company recognizes revenue for software products (operating system software and applications software), or any product that is considered to be software-related, in accordance with the guidance in Emerging Issues Task Force ("EITF") No. 03-5, Applicability of AICPA Statement of Position 97-2 to Non-Software Deliverables in an Arrangement Containing More-Than-Incidental Software, (e.g., Mac computers, iPod portable digital music players and iPhone) pursuant to American Institute of Certified Public Accountants ("AICPA") Statement of Position ("SOP") No. 97-2, Software Revenue Recognition, as amended. For products that are not software or software-related, (e.g., third-party digital content sold on the iTunes Store and certain Mac, iPod and iPhone supplies and accessories), the Company recognizes revenue pursuant to the SEC Staff Accounting Bulletin ("SAB") No. 104, Revenue Recognition.

The Company recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of the Company's product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped. For online sales to individuals, for some sales to education customers in the U.S., and for certain other sales, the Company defers revenue until the customer receives the product because the Company retains a portion of the risk of loss on these sales during transit. If at the outset of an arrangement the Company determines the arrangement fee is not, or is presumed not to be, fixed or determinable, revenue is deferred and subsequently recognized as amounts become due and payable and all other criteria for revenue recognition have been met.

I'd imagine if they changed the way they accounted for it, there would be a footnoteand they would go about it prospectively. I don't deal with software companies, so I don't know.

VIX S&P 500

xge14z.jpg

Check out the two circles on bottom of chart. Expect a slight pull back in the market soon.

i have etrade. it is a bit expensive but they always come through. never have a problem with order execution.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by imahustla08

good time to buy apple tomorrow?

Now? I would say that train ride was missed.
Oopsie, guess again. History repeats itself, again, for AAPL. Beat "expectations", shares rise. Can it beat and maintain $200?

Originally Posted by nicefro

i have etrade. it is a bit expensive but they always come through. never have a problem with order execution.
same, i have etrade and it rocks. even has a cool iphone app

lazy, i'm just bitter because i sold at 195 long ago.
laugh.gif

frankmatthews, what happened to that doomsday prophecy?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by nicefro

same, i have etrade and it rocks. even has a cool iphone app

lazy, i'm just bitter because i sold at 195 long ago.
laugh.gif

frankmatthews, what happened to that doomsday prophecy?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Fair enough...just seen it happen like the last year's worth of reporting. It's like they purposely lowball their forecasts just to "beat" the expectations.

Back
Top Bottom