Official Stock Market & Economy Thread

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

Purchased 2,000 shares of C earlier today and after that it just skyrocketed!

Word.

Dudes talking about stay away from C, we banking out here. All puns intended
pimp.gif

I have some options on C way the hell out...

I was hoping they'd break $4.00 today, came close, saw a high of 3.97.

I'm just speculative on C.

Originally Posted by andycrazn

whats the deal with COT? i was trying to read up on their earnings but i couldnt access it.
They turned a nice profit Q2, during their slowest month, which is positive news mainly due to falling raw material costs and other cost savings.People are buying because: 1) They believe the company is "recession" proof ie cheap soft drinks and other beverages like juice and water. 2) Seemsto be a likely buyout target 3) New management has turned a corner 4) Q3 should see amazing profits if everything else is held constant 5) Good longterm play

I have been accumulating this stock for the past 6 months with an average purchase price of $2.57 CAD, but I have exited this position because I want to takein profits and looking for a lower entry point for strictly trading purposes but this stock might be too thinly traded/manipulated for this purpose. Anotherreason I exited is because 1) Revenues actually fell compared to this point last year because of them losing their Wal-Mart sole supplier contract 2) There isa large onetime tax benefit and other accounting gimmicks that contributed to the bottom line
3) Strong competitors like Coca Cola and Pepsi who are cutting prices on their products as we speak which will encroach into Cott's territory. Plus using alow cost strategy to battle major conglomerates in a price war is a lose-lose proposition.

Of course this is just my thoughts and opinions on this do your own due diligence.

^^

citi did just have a huge gain..i would wait till it comes down a little bit IMO..but in the long run i dont see why this would be a bad buy

-J23C

Come Tuesday I'm ready to get my feet wet.. gonna get some GE and C and idk what else yet.. a bunch of random stuff im looking into..

Morgan Stanley Raises Price Targets On Large BanksLast update: 5/22/2009 11:21:55 AM

By Ed Welsch
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Large bank stocks are set to rise over the next year or two as the pace of economic decline begins to slow, Morgan Stanley analysts saidFriday. The firm raised its price target on the 16 large bank stocks it covers by an average of 33% and said that most would be able to repay TARP money by thefourth quarter; it raised its price target for Bank of America Corp. (BAC) 28% to $32, Citigroup Inc. (C) 50% to $6, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) 33% to $60and Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC) 33% to $44. In recent trading Friday, however, shares of large banks fell, with Bank of America shares down 3.1% to $11.06 andthe broader KBW Bank Index declining fractionally to $36.24. Morgan Stanley's report follows an upgrade of the large banks Thursday by Goldman Sachs on asimilar rationale: that there are signs of a bottom in the pace of decline in several broad economic indicators, including jobless claims, industrialproduction, factory utilization and home prices. Morgan Stanley's assumption about rising bank stocks rests on the projection that there was somestabilization in indicators including initial jobless claims, which fell 12,000 to 631,000 last week after a sharp spike the previous week to 643,000. The firmalso said it saw signs of slowing deterioration in April in the nearly unchanged factory capacity utilization report, and a slower pact of contraction inindustrial production. The firm said its projections could prove to be inaccurate if its forecast of improvement in economic indicators was overstated, whichcould cause higher credit costs and lower capital markets activity for the banks. Morgan Stanley did downgrade SunTrust Banks Inc. (STI) to underweight fromequalweight, saying it is behind its peers in raising loss provisions, and will have to raise them significantly over the next year to catch up. Shares ofSunTrust declined 6.4% to $13.64 in recent trading.

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

Morgan Stanley Raises Price Targets On Large BanksLast update: 5/22/2009 11:21:55 AM

By Ed Welsch
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Large bank stocks are set to rise over the next year or two as the pace of economic decline begins to slow, Morgan Stanley analysts said Friday. The firm raised its price target on the 16 large bank stocks it covers by an average of 33% and said that most would be able to repay TARP money by the fourth quarter; it raised its price target for Bank of America Corp. (BAC) 28% to $32, Citigroup Inc. (C) 50% to $6, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) 33% to $60 and Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC) 33% to $44. In recent trading Friday, however, shares of large banks fell, with Bank of America shares down 3.1% to $11.06 and the broader KBW Bank Index declining fractionally to $36.24. Morgan Stanley's report follows an upgrade of the large banks Thursday by Goldman Sachs on a similar rationale: that there are signs of a bottom in the pace of decline in several broad economic indicators, including jobless claims, industrial production, factory utilization and home prices. Morgan Stanley's assumption about rising bank stocks rests on the projection that there was some stabilization in indicators including initial jobless claims, which fell 12,000 to 631,000 last week after a sharp spike the previous week to 643,000. The firm also said it saw signs of slowing deterioration in April in the nearly unchanged factory capacity utilization report, and a slower pact of contraction in industrial production. The firm said its projections could prove to be inaccurate if its forecast of improvement in economic indicators was overstated, which could cause higher credit costs and lower capital markets activity for the banks. Morgan Stanley did downgrade SunTrust Banks Inc. (STI) to underweight from equalweight, saying it is behind its peers in raising loss provisions, and will have to raise them significantly over the next year to catch up. Shares of SunTrust declined 6.4% to $13.64 in recent trading.

This is a scam!

Central Banks will be selling treasuries going into the bond auction this week. Watch coupons skyrocket, this will strike fear in the market.

Don't overstay your long positions. I have 300 shares of FAZ right now at 5.07. I shouldn't be holding these, but frankly I don't give a damn.

Originally Posted by JC08

Originally Posted by andycrazn

whats the deal with COT? i was trying to read up on their earnings but i couldnt access it.
They turned a nice profit Q2, during their slowest month, which is positive news mainly due to falling raw material costs and other cost savings. People are buying because: 1) They believe the company is "recession" proof ie cheap soft drinks and other beverages like juice and water. 2) Seems to be a likely buyout target 3) New management has turned a corner 4) Q3 should see amazing profits if everything else is held constant 5) Good longterm play

I have been accumulating this stock for the past 6 months with an average purchase price of $2.57 CAD, but I have exited this position because I want to take in profits and looking for a lower entry point for strictly trading purposes but this stock might be too thinly traded/manipulated for this purpose. Another reason I exited is because 1) Revenues actually fell compared to this point last year because of them losing their Wal-Mart sole supplier contract 2) There is a large onetime tax benefit and other accounting gimmicks that contributed to the bottom line
3) Strong competitors like Coca Cola and Pepsi who are cutting prices on their products as we speak which will encroach into Cott's territory. Plus using a low cost strategy to battle major conglomerates in a price war is a lose-lose proposition.

Of course this is just my thoughts and opinions on this do your own due diligence.
yea i sold it when it was at 1.36 and im kinda mad that i did. only if it didnt execute at that price i wouldve been holding it still. shouldvepaid more attention to the insiders buying the stock prior to the rise.

laugh.gif
these financials are just crooked. theyre basically all just upgrading each other right now its a complete joke. just like gs raising the rating on bacright before they offered up 800 million common shares at $10.

Good day today. Though market was down, I had a good run with OCLS and MAPP. Took in $5,000 profit! Looking to get back in tomorrow.

Since the sub prime mortgage and financial sector melt down, the major economic indicators such as unemployment(1st Q of 2012 , 8.3%, September was 7.8% ) and production(GDP for 1st Q of 2012 was 2.0%, 2nd Q was 1.3%) show a sign of a shaky stablizing from fast deteriorating condition or bottoming out.

There is a sign of a beginning of slow recovery of consumer confidence and improving capital spending by business , due to expansionary fiscal policy and easy monetary policy, which lead to a slow recovery in the end of this year.

Or still some signs of uncertainty were not cleared due to threats of terror . Rather corporates' outsourcing may hold back the recovery.
or, deleveraging, weakening economy including china or euro debt crisis may lead US into double dip recession?

any opinions over this prospect of a recession or double dip recession due to the uncertainty of geopolitical risks , going correction about housing market bubble with sub prime mortgage problem or meltdown of finacial sector spilling into main economy.
Can QE3 policy of FEd speed up the current lukewarm recovery of US?
Will the recovery look like L, V, U, W or reverse sqaure root?

No posting in here anymore? lol everyone got rich and isn't trying to get money anymore?  Yall living vicariously through YMCMB haha

Back
Top Bottom