Official Supreme Thread Vol:SS24 Week week 13 30th Anniversary

IMG_0739.jpeg

they need to put the motion logo in the vault, especially if they're going to do the cheap no-motion

I still need to cop the prodigy tee from like 5 years ago. The outlined drawing one

hes right. streetwear used to mean/come from a particular sub-culture like surfing, skateboarding, punk, etc.

now its been so commodified that anyone who has money just buys the aesthetic (or reps) and leaves the culture part behind.

I blame that supreme x LV collab :lol: (kidding... kinda)

but with internet and globalization, it was bound to happen.

how do yall feel about it?

i mean, you can make a case that street wear was killed by online shops. before you had to hit local shops or have hook ups in other cities to get certain brands. with online shops came a giant boom in street wear, but that boom lead to a giant bust in 2009ish when the recession hit. brands dropped like flies and only a few survived that era.

the latest boom in street wear was always going to lead to big bust. the limited hype model was never gonna last forever, eventually everything fizzles out of the lime light and people move on. for me i think the “low points” is when street wear gets back to its roots. brands stop making things just to make things and start putting in thought and effort to set themselves apart, again.

anyways, i could go on for a while about this, but just a quick thought

i mean, you can make a case that street wear was killed by online shops. before you had to hit local shops or have hook ups in other cities to get certain brands. with online shops came a giant boom in street wear, but that boom lead to a giant bust in 2009ish when the recession hit. brands dropped like flies and only a few survived that era.

the latest boom in street wear was always going to lead to big bust. the limited hype model was never gonna last forever, eventually everything fizzles out of the lime light and people move on. for me i think the “low points” is when street wear gets back to its roots. brands stop making making things just to make things and start putting in thought and effort to set themselves apart, again.

Damn I actually agree with a lot of this. Especially the part about the low points being some of the golden eras for a lot of brands.

I'm old enough to remember the streetwear haydays of the late 00s.

I honestly don't even know if the new brands would want to be labeled streetwear. The big brands have shifted to 'luxury' with streetwear inspiration or collaboration.

The big streetwear brands that were able to survive the last recession were basically the pinnacles of streetwear already (bape, preme, stussy).

I dunno, I still just wear what I like. If Supreme makes something I like, I'll buy/wear it. Same with Staple, Stussy, Palace, etc. I like a particular look, and if something fits that look, or makes me wanna expand my style, I'm in. It's just lately Supreme's been kinda lazy. I always preferred their "grown-up" and low-key subversive designs, but the last few seasons have been more on the "in-your-face" side of their designs. Maybe I'm just too old now :lol:

I dunno, I still just wear what I like. If Supreme makes something I like, I'll buy/wear it. Same with Staple, Stussy, Palace, etc. I like a particular look, and if something fits that look, or makes me wanna expand my style, I'm in. It's just lately Supreme's been kinda lazy. I always preferred their "grown-up" and low-key subversive designs, but the last few seasons have been more on the "in-your-face" side of their designs. Maybe I'm just too old now :lol:
I always tell people the small box logos and the stuff in that shirts tops/ shirts tab is typically my favorite stuff Supreme. Its also much better quality than the seasonal tees.

I'm 35 now and I could see me wearing those tees well into my 40s, maybe even 50s.

the latest boom in street wear was always going to lead to big bust. the limited hype model was never gonna last forever, eventually everything fizzles out of the lime light and people move on. for me i think the “low points” is when street wear gets back to its roots. brands stop making things just to make things and start putting in thought and effort to set themselves apart, again.

I think the internet and expansion of e-commerce definitely helped expand “streetwear” to places that didn’t originally have access, but there were already brick and Mortor stores popping up all over the place or streetwear brands being sold in mall stores (up against the wall in the dmv for example) and skate shops by the mid to late 2000s. Coupled with the Kanye, Pharrell, and lupe effect (maybe wale too to a smaller extent).

as someone in their late 20s, I cant wear tees with the big *** graphics on em anymore.

I think thats one of the reasons why ALD got so popular. Theres a bunch of millennials in their late 20s/early 30s that are struggling to find their style now.

ALD brought back the whole "casual luxury" look and blew up. If you look at Kith, it seems like thats the demographic their going after as well. Millennials that were heavy into streetwear but are grown up now.

Last edited:
Is consumerism a culture?
with respect in how it's being viewed by that twitter post, yes. It's definitely a time in this culture where people want to be known as an influencer or are influenced by their social media feeds and dress as such (boxed, cropped top, baggy pants).

Actually dumb how this is being brought up now as an observation as if this hasn't always been the case. Posers have always existed.

Damn I actually agree with a lot of this. Especially the part about the low points being some of the golden eras for a lot of brands.

I'm old enough to remember the streetwear haydays of the late 00s.

I honestly don't even know if the new brands would want to be labeled streetwear. The big brands have shifted to 'luxury' with streetwear inspiration or collaboration.

The big streetwear brands that were able to survive the last recession were basically the pinnacles of streetwear already (bape, preme, stussy).

we old fam :lol:

i would even add Huf, the hundreds, benny gold, in4mation and i’m sure there’s more. different brands just did it their own way and stayed away from the limited model and made their items more accessible. what helped these brand survive is the communities they built around their brands

Back
Top Bottom