Official Technical Running Shoe Discussion

Decided to make an official post, since we have been hanging out in the "Best Running Shoe" post for a while now. Now we can post all opinions andinformation in one post.

I have a couple of updates for some of the more popular technical running brands (Mizuno, Asics and Brooks) for Fall 09, that I found on the Runner's Worldforums. I will update with New Balance and Saucony later.

Mizuno
54aeef7d-fffa-4af5-8b14-2474a5f32dec.Medium.jpg

Wave Nirvana 5 (color update)

627779eb-821c-4a6a-a6e8-cb4742bfcac9.Medium.jpg

Wave Inspire 5 (color update)

607f5777-26b8-40ab-ad5e-36ea065dadc9.Medium.jpg

Wave Precision 10 (upper update, but midsole design is the same)

749ef0cb-8f83-4973-864a-1226baa2e7f3.Medium.jpg

Wave Creation 10 (color update)

ea203400-f321-4d54-b2ab-0963c77b0935.Medium.jpg

Wave Rider 12 (color update)

Asics

1a7ca45c-aff8-4a48-83b5-4b91dce5b3d7.Medium.jpg

Gel Kinsei 3 (new design)

5fad0c14-a292-4f46-a33c-97a4278e8674.Medium.jpg

Gel 2140 (color update)

f5fa6556-67b0-42ee-8d27-011464bfa493.Medium.jpg

Kayano 15 (color update)

55124557-0362-41d6-ac2d-6e28a67c2b94.Medium.jpg

Gel Nimbus 11 (new design, a lot lighter shoe and not quite as restrictive)

176a328b-055d-4aff-bc4a-84cb97b37bf1.Medium.jpg

Gel Cumulus 11 (new design)

Brooks

436865cd-23dc-4b67-87b0-5a3f55876e45.Medium.jpg

Ghost 2 (new design, removed some of the overlays, more standard outsole)

52893176-8980-4e6b-80b6-9d6b090736f8.Medium.jpg

Brooks Ravenna (new design, mild stability replacement for the Axiom)

d5675614-a9cc-4524-b8ba-4a2648a41e06.Medium.jpg

Brooks Trance 9 (new design, increased stability and a bit more flexible in the forefoot)

There are some more updates from all of the brands, but they are mostly color changes to the models that are out right now.

Haven't seen the Asics pics yet, sweet!

I can't wait to get those Trance 9's. That Kayano color-up is HAWT.

This post should be fun.

Here are the rest of the updates that I have seen for 09

New Balance
New Balance is introducing a new stability technology called Stabilicore. It is a plastics support "shelf" that replaces the usual dual densitymidsole, and cuts down on the weight significantly.

ff8cd069-b240-47fc-b514-abcabda5b6d4.Medium.jpg

New Balance 850 (the update to the 859, reverts back to the 850) - It is the first shoe to use the Stabilicore technology, wish I had pictures of the medialside.

8637eaa6-1775-4da6-8aed-2315ded70321.Medium.jpg

New Balance 1225 (This shoe also will use the new technology and will be built on New Balance's new PL-1 last)

Saucony

57462c92-8a41-48f0-8a89-e128b6e6052d.Medium.jpg

Saucony Ride 2 (Not a significant update, finer tuned shoe and not quite as sloppy as the Ride)

03c2daad-8576-4414-8f4c-b754b3d1937a.Medium.jpg

Saucony Hurricane 11 (upper has been changed quite a bit, and stability has been increased from the previous version)

815806f3-7320-4aea-bdbd-e68c3fd8d6ce.Medium.jpg

Saucony Omni 8 (sockliner and collar updated, like most Saucony coming out in Fall 09)

32a7860e-a18f-49fa-9ee8-ecd4432c82f1.Medium.jpg

Saucony Razor (much like the current Xodus, but has a waterproof gaitor over the shoe. We have had few people that have wear-tested these at the store and theyare definitely unique)

Crazy EBW wrote:

That razor is DOPE!! Is it stability geared?
It's a neutral shoe but it has a really firm bottom to it. There is not really much need for a stability in a trail shoe because the entireshoe is so firm, so it's relatively difficult to add a medial post.

This is the platform that the shoe is built around:

17-20014_blkgreyyellow_cl.jpg

I've been using the Adrenaline ASR5s from Brooks instead of the Cascadia because I like the support of it. You telling me I could use either really and itdo pretty much the same?

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I've been using the Adrenaline ASR5s from Brooks instead of the Cascadia because I like the support of it. You telling me I could use either really and it do pretty much the same?

With normal running shoes (for roads, track, treadmills, etc.), the stability shoes are made to support and "correct" your natural flaws on a flatsurface. Since most people that run do so on a mostly flat or level surface (understand that there will be some crowning of roads and sidewalks), the stabilityof the running surface isn't a factor. So the shoe is a major when deciding which shoe is for you.

When you take away the stable surface and put someone on a dirt or gravel trail, that stability of the surface and the shoes change drastically. Thesurfaces are very different when on a trail and each shoe will perform differently on that surface. If the trail is flat enough, then you can probably justwear regular running shoes. If there is need for a more waterproof and rigid shoe the surface will be relatively uneven and your body will be adjusting itselfto the varying surfaces. Therefore, stability in your shoes is not that big of a factor.
I need a review on the Kayano 11
It's very old. The most recent Kayano that came out is the 15. I would stick to the 13, 14 or 15 because they are all pretty similiar to eachother. As far as fit goes, Asics run very narrow through the mid-foot and toe box. The heel shoe also comes up relatively high, which can irritate somepeople's heels.

Cool. I never knew that about the trail shoes. I'm always trying to learn about the running genre.

Kayano 11? Damn, taking it back.
laugh.gif

What do you guys run in?
My rotation:
-Nike Air Zoom Triax 11
-Asics 2130 and 2140
-Asics DS Trainer 14
-New Balance 882 + Inserts

I personally have not had a chance to try the Five Fingers, but they do look really interesting. Kind of taking the Free concept one step further.

I worked with Nike at a recent race expo and got to try the new Vomeros (just like the old ones, but not quite as sloppy) and the new Free 5.0 v4, which is avery nice update to the Free line. My store is getting new updates for it's summer and spring shoes. We are an Asics gold account so we will be getting thenew Nimbus and other new updates first.

Here is my current rotation:
- Nike Zoom Structure 12
- Puma Tenos V
- Mizuno Wave Rider + Inserts
- Nike Zoom Vomero 3 + Inserts
- New Balance 769
- Karhu Stable Fulcrum Ride

Originally Posted by TunzoPhun

I personally have not had a chance to try the Five Fingers, but they do look really interesting. Kind of taking the Free concept one step further.

I worked with Nike at a recent race expo and got to try the new Vomeros (just like the old ones, but not quite as sloppy) and the new Free 5.0 v4, which is a very nice update to the Free line. My store is getting new updates for it's summer and spring shoes. We are an Asics gold account so we will be getting the new Nimbus and other new updates first.

Here is my current rotation:
- Nike Zoom Structure 12
- Puma Tenos V
- Mizuno Wave Rider + Inserts
- Nike Zoom Vomero 3 + Inserts
- New Balance 769
- Karhu Stable Fulcrum Ride

Where do you work at?

I need to get a pair of the Vomero line. I've wanted them since Vomero 2, but haven't gotten them yet. I did feel the foam in them, and they areextremely soft. Good expectations for them.

Five Fingers creeped me out when I tried them on.
laugh.gif
I've heard nothing but good things though.

I am on the fence about picking up a pair of the Five Fingers. I haven't had a chance to try them on yet, but the concept is pretty sweet. If I find themfor the right price I will probably scoop up a pair.

Has anybody heard anything about the ECCO BIOM? Pretty interesting concept, just not sure I would ever buy running shoes from ECCO.

biomA_man_leather-thumb.png

biomA_man_leather_sole-thumb.png

"

BROOKS BEAST - Best Support for the $ if ur flat footed and need extra support
Brooks-Beast-2007-Men-042459.jpg

Asisc gel Evolution - IMO better then kayno...but then again i need the extra support but not as stiff as the Brooks beast ...very good support and providesflexibility

PRO774_876_asics-gel-evolution-4-mens-2008-6.jpg

Originally Posted by STORM RYDER

For all you stability guys, don't sleep on the AdiStar Control!

I'm loving my pair!
I run in stability shoes as well and wear the Nike Air Zoom Elite 2, Nike Air Structure Triax 11s and Nike Equalon 2s. I need to trash all threepairs, as I ran in two half marathons and a full marathon in them.

I am actually going to try out New Balance for a change. I'm actually going to a Fleet Feet this week to try out the 850. I'll keep you posted.

I run in stability shoes as well and wear the Nike Air Zoom Elite 2, Nike Air Structure Triax 11s and Nike Equalon 2s. I need to trash all three pairs, as I ran in two half marathons and a full marathon in them.

I am actually going to try out New Balance for a change. I'm actually going to a Fleet Feet this week to try out the 850. I'll keep you posted.
The 850 is a very stable shoe, and runs very wide (especially compared to the Zoom Elite), the 850 is built on the old SL-1 last so it is muchwider and there it not much shape to it. I do like the 850 as an update to the 859, the introduction of NB's new Stabilicore medial posting has decreasedthe weight quite a bit.

Something that might be good for you is the new 1225, which is coming out in the next few months. It is built on New Balances PL-1 last which has a little bitmore of an arch and shape in the toe box. Another option is the 769, which is also built on the new PL-1 last, and has about the same stability as the ZoomElite. Another shoe that might work well for you is then new Saucony Hurricane 11, the update improved on the fit of the shoe and is a lot more comfortable. Itall depends on the shape of your foot though.
For all you stability guys, don't sleep on the AdiStar Control!
The adiSTAR Control has been updated to the adiSTAR Salvation, which I agree, is a very good shoe. The Formotion technology in the heel is a greatfor any over pronator that has a heavy outside heelstrike. Adidas running has definitely taken a step in the right direction with their newest round of runningshoes.

Originally Posted by TunzoPhun

The 850 is a very stable shoe, and runs very wide (especially compared to the Zoom Elite), the 850 is built on the old SL-1 last so it is much wider and there it not much shape to it. I do like the 850 as an update to the 859, the introduction of NB's new Stabilicore medial posting has decreased the weight quite a bit.

Something that might be good for you is the new 1225, which is coming out in the next few months. It is built on New Balances PL-1 last which has a little bit more of an arch and shape in the toe box. Another option is the 769, which is also built on the new PL-1 last, and has about the same stability as the Zoom Elite. Another shoe that might work well for you is then new Saucony Hurricane 11, the update improved on the fit of the shoe and is a lot more comfortable. It all depends on the shape of your foot though.

Thanks for the head-up on the 769, Tunzo. I'll give that a whirl. I really like the Zoom Elite 1 & 2, so I'll def give it a try. I heard aboutthe 1225 (1224 update) - I'll try it on when it drops.

Someone also told me that if the 850 works, I should also give the 1011 a try. After reading up both, I see they are for moderate-to-severe overpronation. I've also spoken to fellow runners who said good things about the 1123. What are your thoughts on the 587? I hear its a bulky shoe and not as stable as a850 or 1011.

Regardless, I am looking to train for a half marathon in whatever New Balance I purchase. I appreciate the Saucony reference.....I've been on a NewBalance kick in other types of footwear, so I'l give their runners a try.

Back
Top Bottom